0

Slanted ceiling in master tripping me up please help!!!

mdarba
We just purchased a house and the master bedroom has an odd set up. It is 17' wide 24' long. I am attaching the MLS picture (not our furniture). We are having the carpet removed and replacing with light oak hardwood floors. I am going to paint the walls/ceilings all the same color (a helpful suggestion I received on Houzz) prob a very light grey. I have my heart set on the attached bed. I do not want to block the windows. I am wondering if I could put the headboard against the wall where the slanted ceiling comes down, the wall comes up 44" and the headboard is 50" so it would be out from the wall, does this matter? Can it be worked around? Please help.
  • creeser
    How far are you going to have to come off the wall for the headboard to fit?
  • mdarba
    I think because of the way this headboard is about a foot or so.
  • mdarba
    But the headboard would be against the slanted ceiling if that makes sense.
  • creeser
    With that rolled headboard, it's not going to be flat against the wall anyway. I think you'll be fine putting it there.
  • mdarba
    Excellent! I was even thinking of getting a big area rug and having it start at the headboard and I could use that as a guide for the nightstands instead of having them flush against the wall. Thank you for your input!
  • Betsie Mills
    Are you going to have to crouch if you stood at the top of the bed? What about when you are sitting up in the bed is the ceiling going to be too close? The slanted ceiling area might work well for placement of a slightly taller dresser or an old side board. I had a friend who had a similar set up and initially she thought tucking the bed up under the sloped ceiling would be great but she found that it was a little claustrophobic.
  • creeser
    Elisabeth makes a good point that I think is solved with your rolled headboard. Because it will be a foot away from the wall, you probably won't have the issue of hitting your head on the slanted ceiling.
    Great idea about using the rug to line up the nightstands!
  • mdarba
    It's a fairly steep slant if that makes sense so we would be able to sit straight up without hitting our heads and having the rolled headboard would also give us more room. Thank you both so much for your input. I can't wait to get in there and see what we can do with the space!
  • architectaia
    Do the math to get the distance from the wall
    a sq + b sq= C sq right ?
  • creeser
    Have fun mdarba! It's a great space and is going to look great when you finish. Share some 'after' photos!
  • mdarba
    I am not in the space right now but based off of my measurements previously it would be 12.5" off of of the wall. I just took a quick measure of the headboard a few weeks ago so am not 100%, this was before we started thinking about putting it against the slanted side. That's the only reason I gave approx. I will know more Wednesday when we close.
  • mdarba
    I will definitely share some after photos. This is the palette I am using for inspiration.
  • creeser
    Love those colors! Very restful and should be perfect for a bedroom.
    A Kitchen That Works LLC
    I like the idea of placing the bed under the slanted section of ceiling because then you can have a nice vantage point for both windows and your pillows should place your body far enough forward that you can sit up comfortably. I think you can tastefully cover the gap with well sized night tables. Another option would be to place the bed en corner.
  • mdarba
    That's one of the main reasons I really wanted to have the bed against the slanted side because it opens up the rest of the room and let's in the natural light. And it should brighten considerably with the hardwood floors and lighter paint color.
  • abbyjean
    I know you can disguise where the wall and the bed are separated, but I just do not see that happening with the night stands. I think it will be obvious that they are a foot away from the wall????
  • abbyjean
    Is there room for the bed on the wall where the dresser is sitting in the pics you attached?
  • mdarba
    We would have to block a window to do that. There is another window to the left of the dresser.
  • abbyjean
    And no room for the bed between the two windows? I know you are not in the house now, but any idea, coming close, to how far in to each window your bed would go? A little or a lot? Do you have huge night stands for each side?
  • decoenthusiaste
    Here are some other things to consider; if under the slanted ceiling will the bed be facing the door of the room? It is proven to enhance s secure restful sleep if you can sit up in bed and look directly at the door. I think the combo of being under the low ceiling and not facing the door, could make your wonderful bed a nightmare. Will it fit on the wall where the dresser is? abbyjean and I are often in agreement, and in this case, doubly so, I think. Your bed should be the showpiece here, and I think anyone who sees it under the ceiling is just going to question why it is there instead of in a focal location. If you plan for TV in the room, a built-in running all along that sloped ceiling would provide a TV location and great bookshelves where you could put a nice chaise for a reading nook.
  • mdarba
    I didn't have a chance to measure between the windows (or to be honest I did but never wrote it down). Once I get in I can take a pic. It's a weird layout (was an addition) the second window not pictured is almost at the wall which is where the closet it so the door has to open there. I am pretty sure it wouldn't fit. I don't have any furniture right now. The master set we have is going into one of the spare rooms. My husband and I fell in love with the bed I pictured with the rolled headboard so I am hoping to make that work.
  • Mercedes Stenberg
    I think it would look awkward. I would advise against it. Are there shorter upholstered headboards to choose from? This is a very popular style right now. You could even have an upholsterer make something to spec and mount it directly to the wall.
  • allredcookie
    What about putting your bed at an angle between the two windows, then having a table with plants behind the bed to give some height
  • abbyjean
    OK, if the closet door makes the bed not work there, how do you feel about having your bed centered on the window where the bed pictured is now? I usually do not like a bed in front of a window, especially when you have this big of a room to play with, but.........
  • mdarba
    I actually thought about that putting it on a slant and I saw a nice pic on houzz that did that. It would be an option for sure if I could make it work, my only concern would be that the space isn't even if that makes sense. It would be more on one wall than the other.
  • creeser
    mdarba, do you already have nightstands?
  • mdarba
    No nightstands yet, we are starting from scratch on this room.
  • abbyjean
    Is there room to START the bed to the right of the window where the one pictured is now? One night stand would go under that window.
  • creeser
    If not, and you didn't like pulling the nightstands to line up with the rug, there are a couple of other ways you could go. You could do a built in night stand, like a floating shelf on either side of the bed that extends out the length you need it. Or, you could use a small round table, or desk, ottomans, or other larger piece of furniture instead of the traditional night stand. [houzz=
    Soft Gray Getaway · More Info
    ][houzz=
    2012 New American Home · More Info
    ]
  • mdarba
    I am really hoping we don't have to block then window. But if it means I can have this bed we might be willing. I will get the proper measurements on Wednesday. Thank you for all of your insight. This is so helpful. My husband thinks I am crazy putting so much thought into this one decision but this room will be MY sanctuary so I want it to be everything it is in my head :)
  • creeser
    I think you're right to put thought into what you want and how you want it BEFORE putting it together. Otherwise, you could make some costly mistakes. I do think you can make it work well on the sloped ceiling with the bed you want.
  • abbyjean
    Men do not understand, but they will love it when it is done. They think decorating is easy, right? LOVE the sanctuary idea and THAT bed will make that happen.
  • abbyjean
    Get the bed and have hubby help you move it around the room.......with no mattress or anything, of course. With THAT room, it HAS to fit somewhere.
  • mdarba
    He wanted me to choose paint colors for the whole house before we even moved in based off of the 3 times we had been in there, no furniture nothing! He doesn't get it.

I hope you're right about the bed working somewhere. We are going to buy the bed first, move it around and hopefully find a place for it. Once that is in we can add to it from there.

I love the idea of different nightstands. And the floating shelves are an interesting possibility. I am not planning to have a TV in the room, hubby wants one but this is my room! (Sounds selfish but he has a lot of input in other areas).
  • abbyjean
    NOT having a tv in the room will make it soooo much easier to arrange furniture, too! You deserve that bed in your new home! Not sure of your taste, but I actually like the color in this room right now and with the right choice in your comforter, it could be sweet!
  • pcmom1
    Try putting the headboard where the tall chest is shown in the picture, and a similar tall chest to the right of the window, towards the slanted wall. Then a chair and reading light into the corner between the windows.
  • Catherine Giesige
    I think your bed would work on an angle in the corner between the two windows. Out from the wall so you can still fit a nightstand on each side. I have seen this work well in rooms with lots of windows, doors and angled ceilings. Just don't put a plant back there! You have the advantage of having a fairly large room so you can play around with what works best for you. I love the bed you have chosen. http://houzz.com/photos/49658 http://houzz.com/photos/49658
  • creeser
    Someone may have suggested this and I didn't catch it, but another thought would be to put the bed in the center of the room under the little chandelier. You could put a bench at the back for seating.
    Whincop - Cheam, Sutton UK · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Velux · More Info
    ]