Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_74813483

open space living room with a main door on the side

HU-74813483
4 years ago

Hi, this is my floor plan and the living room is open and I 'm not sure how to divide it with the sitting and the entertainment. Please give me some advises on how to maximize the floor plan for the living room since the main door is on the side and I don't want to enter seeing the sofa or couches right away and also the countertop. Also, for the dining area, I have the countertop that I can put a bar stool but I'm not sure where to put the dining area aside from the nook.

Comments (16)

• mindshift
    4 years ago

Without room dimensions It is hard to visualize how much space you have, and how much furniture will fit. Sofas are usually 3 feet deep and 6 to 7 feet wide. Chairs are also 3 feet deep but can range from 30 to 38 inches wide. Plus you are going to lose some space to traffic movement. Below is my general idea of how to deal with the space. 1) The only way to prevent someone at the door from seeing into the room is to put up a screen, either a folding type or a fixed floor to ceiling type. Place the screen just past the window. 2) Put the TV on the wall between the windows. Don't try to center it between the windows; center it on the room. 3) Set the sofa to face the TV and flank it with chairs. Chairs are easy to turn for ease of viewing or conversation, especially lighter weight types. Leave at least 42 inches of space behind this seating area and the wall/other furniture. 4) You need at least 3 feet of space on all sides of a table. A long and narrow table can seat up to 8 people—36 to 42 inches wide by at least 72 inches long. It looks like this should easily fit in your kitchen.

HU-74813483 thanked mindshift
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

Add DIMENSIONS to that plan, and post again in a comment box.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

We need room sizes and IMO you will not avoid seeing seating and even the kitchen counter with this space.

• HU-74813483
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you all for replying. I appreciate all your advises. I added more pictures so you can all see the platforms. Hope these can help

• HU-74813483
    Original Author
    4 years ago

More pictures

• HU-74813483
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I'm just curious if I can have 2 living rooms here - one for the sitting & 1 for the entertainment. I would like also to add a dining in between but not sure if it will look nice.

• HU-74813483
    Original Author
    4 years ago

As you can see, the main door is on the left and you can see right away the open space living room. Looking forward to all your suggestions. Thank you for all

• PRO
    Styldod
    4 years ago

Here's a layout you can consider. Since you have doors on both ends of your room, placing the sofas in the center would leave your passages free. You could add a slim console by the entrance to create an entryway of sorts. For this layout, your dining is placed inside the kitchen. I will work on more layouts for you to incorporate the changes from your images and more recent comments.

HU-74813483 thanked Styldod
  • HU-74813483
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you and appreciated it so much! I like this idea. Is it post to have a sitting area aside from the entertainment? Maybe 2 accent chairs? Please advise. Thank you

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

I don't think I understand your question. Are you asking if you could have more accent chairs instead of an entertainment unit? If you don't need that console you could definitely replace it with more seating.

HU-74813483 thanked User
  • HU-74813483
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I like this set up. on the right side it looks empty, is it ok to put another set of accent chairs?

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

In my mind, it was to house a TV with a console beneath.

If you don't need that, I think two low-profile couches facing each other with two accent chairs flanking would work nice as well.

Or one couch (against the wall) with two accent chairs facing the couch.

HU-74813483 thanked User
  • HU-74813483
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Got it! Thank you and will shop for these furnitures. Hopefully we’ll set up as nice and invItong as possible. appreciated it so much

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

Before you purchase any furniture, make sure you measure/map them out inside your space first! The proportion of furniture pieces can make or break a room.

HU-74813483 thanked User
  • HU-74813483
    Original Author
    4 years ago

will do, thank you and appreciated it so much! I will update you once we totally move in