Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
timtsb

Fall renovation (ok, ok... really just a brag post)

timtsb
4 years ago

For several years after building a new home, I struggled with my lawn. I did what I could with what I had, but with no irrigation system on a south facing lawn, I just couldn't keep it going through the summer and was always left feeling defeated. A few months ago I decided I couldn't take it anymore - I had irrigation installed and went full steam ahead to reclaim my rightful spot as the lawn king of the neighborhood.

When I started the renovation, I did have a little bit of decent grass, so rather than torching everything with Round Up, I opted to only attack the weeds with an aggressively mixed tank of Tenacity and followed that up with some Weed B Gon for good measure. To finish the prep I scalped the lawn and hit it hard with a Sun Joe scarifier/dethatcher. I then spread the seed (Jonathan Green Black Beauty) and starter fertilizer (OceanGro), raked it in, and set my shiny new sprinklers to run for 10 minutes per zone, 3 times per day.

I can’t believe how quickly it came to life. In just a few short weeks the existing grass was healthier than it’s ever been and the new seed was really coming to life. Six weeks after that, it was looking like a lawn that’s been there for years. It’s still going strong and I often receive compliments from friends and neighbors. I love that people are asking me for lawn care tips again – that’s the ultimate compliment in my book.

Side note: I have to say I’m very impressed with the Black Beauty seed. On my previous lawn I selected a very specific blend of cultivars. I didn’t want to spend that kind of money on seed anymore, so I researched off-the-shelf options and settled on Black Beauty. As long as it performs through the summer, Jonathan Green have themselves a new loyal customer right here. It is lush, soft, and has great color.

Comments (12)