Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shannon_ebron

Picking a roof color

Shannon Ebron
4 years ago

Hi Houzzers! We are having a new roof installed next week and I could really use help selecting a shingle color. The roofer sent us addresses of houses in our development so we could see what various colors looked like on a completed roof but I am still having a difficult time deciding. I am stuck between GAF brand hickory, barkwood, mission brown and weathered wood. The siding on our house is a tan/olive color, our shutters are hunter green, and we have a red brick front. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Comments (25)

• treesstandingtall
    4 years ago

Actually I like the color of the roof as is best. It gives a beautiful contrast. So I'd choose charcoal.

I'd warn against the hickory: too much red with the already red brick. Might make it look cheap.

If it has to be one of the four you mentioned, I'd pick the darkest one. If I see it right, that would be the weathered wood.

Maybe this question is nice for a poll? (And perhaps add the charcoal as well in it?)

• Shannon Ebron
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for your response! The current roof color is red although it's hard to tell from the pictures. I really hadn't considered charcoal but I will ask the roof to send me a few addresses with a charcoal roof so I can check it out.

• treesstandingtall
    4 years ago

Oh, that's funny. Totally overlooked the redness of the current roof. Looks much darker. Which I find pleasing to the eye, but I'm just one person. Hope many people will respond for you.

• Denita
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Consider getting actual large samples of your short list of shingle. Even when driving around the neighborhood, it is hard to tell when the shingle was installed and could be faded from the sun. If you have actual samples you will get a better idea of color IMO.

BTW, my personal preference is weathered wood.

• D Davis
    4 years ago

I was also going to suggest charcoal (black might be a little harsh) but of the choices you mentioned, I like weathered wood.

• einportlandor
    4 years ago

Another vote for charcoal.

• J OBrien
    4 years ago

The weathered wood seems to have a green cast, would that complement your shutters? Like the charcoal too.

• colonel115
    4 years ago

Weathered wood.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    4 years ago

I'd have chosen slate. But - this is a cooler summer area. My roof now is cedar but given the quality of shakes available these days and their cost, when replaced I will probably go with man made and darker than a wood look. No red.

• Design Girl
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Charcoal or Slate - A roof is such a commitment, I would want something that will go with any color I may chose for my house, now or in the future. The charcoal or slate will go with your current scheme, and anything that may be done in the future. They are the most versatile.

• Lauren
    4 years ago

I vote Charcoal as well! I think this color will work with many colors if you choose to paint and it looks rich.

• DavidR
    4 years ago

I always recommend the lightest color you can stand to look at, especially if it gets hot in the summer where you live. Your roof will last longer, and your air conditioning (assuming you use it) will cost you less.

Dark roofs might be OK in Canada or upstate New York.

Having had both dark and light roofs on my houses for more decades than I care to talk about, I always recommend light ones. Hardly anybody listens, though. Your loss. :)

• treesstandingtall
    4 years ago

DavidR, Considering the trees are completely bare already, I expect that Shannon lives more north, than south. In which case a dark roof would help contain some of the sun's warmth splendidly.

Your warning in case of hot summers might be helpful for others who read along and have the same choice to make. Thank you.

• Shannon Ebron
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you all for your help! I am actually now considering the charcoal. Here a few mock ups I did this morning. We live in PA by the way.

• Shannon Ebron
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The picture above is an older picture of the house before we painted the shutters a darker green but it's a better picture of the roof

• jillybean103
    4 years ago

For sure charcoal.

• treesstandingtall
    4 years ago

Nice job, Shannon! Good for helping people to make up their mind.

They are both beautiful. But indeed my taste would still be the charcoal. Just asked my daughter, who hasn't heard/read anything about such things yet and her choice was charcoal immediately too. She said she liked the contrast.

So two more votes for charcoal.

• Robby
    4 years ago

I would choose Weathered Wood with the current siding and shutters on your home.

• Shannon Ebron
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Trees! I found a neat little roof visualizer app. After seeing the two, I am really leaning towards the charcoal. I found a house in my development with a similar color scheme and a black roof and I like it a lot!. That's why I love Houzz! New roof is scheduled for this Thursday. I will post pics when it's complete!!!

• Debbie Caulfield
    4 years ago

I think charcoal would be your best choice. Gives you a lot of options in the future for changing paint colors.

• Shannon Ebron
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Playing around with another roof visualizer tool this morning and charcoal is definitely the winner! The roofer put my order in and will be here Thursday to install. Picture 1 is charcoal. Picture 2 is weathered wood.

• Denita
    4 years ago

Nice job! The charcoal does look great.

• Shannon Ebron
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We have a new roof! So happy we went with the charcoal. Thank you my Houzzer friends!

• Design Girl
    4 years ago

Looks perfect. - Charcoal always looks great.