Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_953357368

Cost to upgrade to all brick on new construction?

Dan Paul
4 years ago

Wondering how much it’s going to cost to upgrade to an all brick exterior on our future build? Looking for some rough estimates maybe based on “real life “ experiences. Any factors that influence price?

We want to build a ranch that is about 2000-2500 sqft. We like coin corners and keytones above the windows also.

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    4 years ago

Prices vary geographically. Ask locally.

When you receive a price(s) locally, factor in yearly maintenance (or lack thereof) into your decision making calculations.

Dan Paul thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    4 years ago

The cost to install brick will depend on the specific choice of brick and mortar as well as special shapes (e.g., watertable) and special details (e.g., quoins, jack arches, soldier courses, etc.) and the availability of trade labor in your area. Ask your builder.

• User
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

quoins ... on a ranch house?

They work well on Georgian, Federal, Italianare, Colonial Revival, French Eclectic, Beaux Arts, Italian Renaissance and Second Empire style houses.

Dan Paul thanked User
  • PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    4 years ago

@User

It's not my intention to design the OP's home, I'd leave that to a licensed architect. If the preferred style is Georgian or Federal, for the sake of authenticity, I'd recommend an architect who dates back to either period (you would be my top recommendation, but the OP would be advised to seek competitive bids for design services.)

The point is that costs for brick veneer can vary widely depending on homeowner and designer choices of both materials and details.

Incidentally, I owned a really nice transitional style all-brick ranch home in Texas complete with quoins. It was constructed with old Chicago brick and had a hand-split cedar shake roof. It was quite lovely. Come to think of it, it might not have been transitional. It might have been "Italianare."

Dan Paul thanked Charles Ross Homes
  • Dan Paul
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It’s in Clinton PA by Pittsburgh. My brother is actually a mason but I don’t think my builder would allow me to sub the work through him. He said it cold cost between 20-30k depending on the brick and accents wanted does that sound right? I am in the research phase btw. I am just looking for some numbers and advice, about 1 year away from starting the process. Here is what we kinda want. Probably with a simpler roof however.

• User
    4 years ago

That’s NOT a Ranch. It’s a one story Mini Mc. All roof and no substance. 20-30K in builder speak before signing a contract translates to 40-60K in actual costs.

• Dan Paul
    Original Author
    4 years ago

A one level then to clarify. This picture is from the internet im just saying this is similar to what we want. And I’m not sure what you mean as that was what my brother would charge someone did you read my post fully? I am not talking to a builder yet. Just looking for numbers. 40-60k after, that doesn’t sound right?

• User
    4 years ago

Have higher ambitions than a builders special.

Dan Paul thanked User