luminel

Desperately need help choosing a tv console!!!

luminel
last modified: November 19, 2019

I’m hoping I can get some creative ideas from you all on how in the world I can liven this corner of my living room. I desperately need a new tv stand or console for our tv but don't know what style or color to pick. The one we have now looks like chicken coop and is so tall next to my piano. Should I place a plant or small side table in between piano and console? Thank you ❤️

• luminel

I am the pianist and so are my two little girls. The reason I placed the sectional on the opposite wall is because we have a beautiful view of the mountains. If I place the couch on the opposite side, we would have a view of the side main street with cars and ambulances going by all day long. I'm kinda stuck Flo Mangan:(

I would place the piano on the other wall and then look at Beast from Ikea for the TV wall it can be configured in 100s of ways to look custom for your needs just start with the TV bench that will put the TVat proper viewing height then add the pieces you need for display and storage.These are just a couple of ideas

desperately need help choosing art for above the mantel

I agree...it's too muted, it does nothing for the room. Restonite, if you love any of the pieces I showed you...I could work with you on price. No pressure, I just wanted to mention it. The site I have is not my only source for printing, and I have some flexibility in prices with other companies. I would hate price to be the reason you choose art. I know it's a factor, and budget is important, but if you don't love the art...I wonder if you will happy with it on your mantel? The right piece will have the chance of helping you love this room.

Need help choosing which pieces to put around my TV

I love the idea of a gallery wall that incorporates the television rather than trying to fight it. Stick to neutral, simple images to avoid visual overload. You might also consider a longer media console, which would hide the electrical outlets and cords, and add a few decorative accessories. West Elm has great modern tabletop pieces that are relatively inexpensive and would work well in a man's home. Good luck!

Need Help Choosing a TV Console Please?

#2 or #4. I agree that the size whichever one you choose needs to be 25% wider than your TV. another consideration is the storage space ---- the storage space needs to accommodate your cable box, DVD, and any other peripherals that you may use with your TV.

Help choosing color for TV console

Maybe some more pictures? What color are the chairs? Since you have the pictures around the TV in black, that seems a good choice? How tall is this console? Looks from this one picture like the TV may be mounted a bit hig. Lots of questions and no real answers. Sorry.
    Flo Mangan

Ok. But technically, you would have the same exposure. When watching TV, you aren’t looking outside. You could put a swivel chair beside long console, and swivel to your “view”. Just trying to give you a push to test your assumptions. But up to you.

• luminel

Patricia these consoles are beautiful!!! The only problem with placing the piano against the opposite wall is that it’s our neighbors wall too and we don’t want it too be too loud for them. It is a professional upright with a big sound. I like the idea though! I will take a look at IKEA!

• luminel

My biggest dilemma is what color console to get. Someone mentioned a dark hue to coordinate with the black piano but I am thinking that it will darken the corner. I do like the idea of a white console but I have never own white furniture, will it not look too sterile? Thank you again for all your wonderful ideas and suggestions

• shirlpp

Are you going to throw away the piece that is currently below the TV? If so, then paint one side of it in the hue of your piano and paint the other side white. Then post the pictures.

• Olychick

since the ideal place for your piano is on the shared wall (it will solve your space and matching console concerns), I would look into what it would take to provide some sound deadening behind the piano. I found this article which suggests adding mass in the form of gypsum board attached to the wall (I'm assuming you aren't renting). I'm sure there are baffles or other inexpensive solutions to the sounds from the piano. Have you talked with the neighbor about how much they can hear through that wall?

Isolating wall

Another idea:

While you may not particularly want to dampen the noise from the piano,
    you might be willing to consider dampening its loudness. Putting heavy
    rugs on the top or back of the piano will still permit the beautiful
    music to be heard, but at a much lower volume. Many piano companies
    offer piano coverings that look beautiful, will fit your piano type and
    assist in making a piano less noisy.

• luminel

Olychick, I am renting so I can’t do much to the walls. Is there a way to make it work where I have the piano now?

• calidesign

White doesn't have to look sterile. It depends on the design.

A console that relates back to your dining table could also be nice, if you want to go in that direction.

luminel thanked calidesign
    Flo Mangan

The best way to incorporate your piano where it is would be by using black TV console for a integrated look. It won’t be overly dark with your natural light and a couple lamps. A simple design would be best. And you can take with you. No white. That would mean 3 different finishes in this space which will look hodgepodge. Wood dining, Black piano, and hence TV unit needs to work with those components.

luminel thanked Flo Mangan
    Flo Mangan

Here is mock up to help you visualize. I also put a little gallery of pictures over the piano rather than one lonely picture. You could find low dark baskets to slide under the TV unit to collect small toys to help manage clutter.

• DK Haas

First of all, I commend your thoughfulness and consideration for your neighbors in regards to the piano placement. The opposite wall does need something to balance and visually divide the dining/ living areas. Consider an entry table, chest of drawers or bench with mirror or artwork above, in addition to the tv console. and perhaps some side tables or coffee table.

What wood? Clearly, you have three different wood tones in the space(floors, piano, dining table). Since you rent and cannot change the floor, I'd discard the idea of needing to match the floor tones, as you "can't take it with you." Use an area rug instead.

As far as choosing furniture, consider what look you want to achieve. If you don't know? Ask yourself what stores would you most enjoy browsing while you wait for your cinema to allow you inside.

Do turn your dining table the opposite way -as advised up thread

In this condo below, the dark short shelf unit mimics the floor and refers back to the dark ottoman seating and dark accent pillow for balance, as does the medium tone coffee table and the dining table/ chairs. Area rugs divide the spaces, as well as the floor plant. Your piano placememt serves similar role as the floor plant- like holding hands between your two spaces

focus on a coordinated look for your belongings, not the floor, which you don't own. I'd do something like the mirror & bookcase or chest of drawers for storage on the empty space shared wall. A dark coffee table with a reflective or light colored tray and a medium wood tone tv console. Allow the piano to be the accent piece, rather than a big row of dark furniture, Add some black in artwork (maybe black photo frames). Add some pattern throw pillows that have a bit of black. After all ,there is an old design rule, that every room needs a bit of black,

• DK Haas

Forgive me, your sofa art is too small. Consider either larger art, which is expensive, or a grid wall that offers versatility (16x20 framed pics- black frames) will add black to that side of the room. Select your best phone pics and enlarge to 16x20 poster or 11x14 & add a white mat board.

Frames: https://www.michaels.com/studio-decor-belmont-frame-black/10392851.html?cm_mmc=PLASearch--google--MICH_Shopping_US_N_Frames_WallFrames_N_N_N-_-&Kenshoo_ida=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItbnn1v375QIVj8DACh0cJQ0REAUYBiABEgKLdvD_BwE

Mat: https://www.michaels.com/precut-single-mat-16in-x-20in-with-11in-x-14in/M10084274.html?dwvar_M10084274_color=White

Colored or B&W on this idea:.

• DK Haas

I'd opt for a biggerTV (holiday sales) and stretch your furniture budget by repurposing a low dresser to serve as tv stand and added storage. Change the hardware. Remove as many drawers as you need. Paint any color you want, but I'd advise against white or light, due to potential for stain bleed- thru. . If you paint in the apartment, lay down newspaper and protect your floor/security deposit.

• luminel

Wow DK Haas, you gave me such wonderful suggestions here I dont know where to begin. I’m getting rid of the dining table as it’s old and bulky and not cozy when we sit down for dinner. The only reason we have it is because it was cheap, sturdy, and our little girls have been using as an art table since they were born. Any ideas on dining table that might look nice. Something cozier, simple, modern but not too modern/ minimalist. Thank you again

• luminel

I guess what I mean by cozier is a table that is simpler in design, something that invites you to sit and relax. I find the chairs too regal looking:))

• luminel

Flo Manga I love the photo display you created above the piano. It is beautiful!

• luminel

I’m also wondering what carpet to get for under the sectional as it’s not a true they color but a vintage grey with a little green, brown tinge to it.

Flo Mangan

You can use some color in this room. A rug with some color would be great. I will look for some ideas.

Flo Mangan

Here is pretty rug. Forgiving with children too.

luminel thanked Flo Mangan
  • luminel

Really nice, and has some grey in it as well. Where can I find it?

Flo Mangan

At West Elm website.

• Gcubed

Following

• luminel

These are some of the consoles I’m looking at right now for my living room. I’m leaning towards medium toned wood or even black. I also like the mirror and dresser look for the long entryway but not sure it would coordinate nicely with what I have. Can you think of any other console that might look nice? I plan on buying one this coming week and maybe new carpet.

Flo Mangan

Here is the console I put in that mock up.

• luminel

You still think this one best:)) I do like it, I'm just wondering if it's too small as we will get a bigger TV as well. Pottery Barn has a slightly longer one in the same style. Do you think that might work better or shorter. I do want to place a plant in the corner of the room or between piano and console though.

• calidesign

@luminel, I like the first three consoles you posted above. Measure your wall and get one as long as you can to have more storage and because your sectional is long. Since you are changing your style and dining area, any of the three would work with your sectional and new transitional dining and end tables. The last one is too chunky and rustic.

Flo Mangan

What is measurement from left side of current cabinet to outside wall.

Flo Mangan

What size TV are you contemplating getting? The TV should be about 2/3 the length of console. So if you do a 65” TV It’s actual width is around 56”. So 70-72” length would work IF you have enough room for that much length. I recommend leaving open space between console and TV. Open space creates better overall look. Gives the eye somewhere to rest.

• shirlpp

I don't like that last console either. I agree with calidesign that it is not the right fit. I like Flo's suggestion too. A plant between the console and piano is a great idea. I'd wait on the entryway console until you get the living area a little more together.

Kudos to you for getting it done. It's nice to see a dilemma and someone willing to buy - as opposed to waiting years.

Flo Mangan

Yes, plan all furniture changes first so they work together when all purchases are made. Try not to let “sales” get you buying things that don’t work. Get a little spiral notebook. Measure your whole space and do a scale drawing. (If you post dimensions, I can do a sale drawing for you and suggest sizes that will work in this place and be flexible for future homes. Make notes of furniture sizes in the notebook and carry it with you and stay in the measurements you need.

• luminel

Shirlpp if you knew how many years we’ve lived in this rental you’d cry for me. 15 years to be exact. We got married and moved in and 15 years later my place still looks like we moved in. We rarely have people over because I dont like the way my place is, I guess I’m embarrassed a little. My girls, 6 and 9, are starting to ask if they can have friends over for dinner. Well, I decided this year to make a change , get my place to look nice and have dinners all the time and play music. I come from a family of artists and musicians, but when it comes to decorating my own place, I feel lost:))
    Decorating is an art. Thank you again!

Flo Mangan

I gathered some main pieces for your space. I found some grays that play well with your piano and sectional. I even found a nice palm tree to provide some separation between eating area and music/TV room. I can give you sources for any piece shown in this mood board.

luminel thanked Flo Mangan
  • calidesign

The addition of artwork on the walls will also keep the space from looking like you just moved in. But get the furniture figured out first.

luminel thanked calidesign
  • luminel

Wow Flo, how do you put it all together so fast! I like the black console even more than the other one, it’s a softer black, grey. Where can I find it?

Flo Mangan

This one?

Flo Mangan

From Wayfair.

luminel thanked Flo Mangan
    Flo Mangan

That one is nearly 80” long so i need your measurements.

luminel thanked Flo Mangan
  • luminel

It’s glossy, won’t it be too much shine with my glossy piano.

Flo Mangan

I am more concerned about size. Can you measure for me? Plus, this unit requires a lot of assembly. So let me find something similar.

• shirlpp

Wow - Really - 15 years.......Yes, it is time!

luminel thanked shirlpp
  • luminel

I don’t have the right tape measure, but I got approx. 122 inches from the left of console to the outside wall, I’m assuming near the window. The length of my console alone is 64 inches.

• everdebz

Has honey, and grey [the cut pile is sheared by hand to create a rich appearance. Beige, Brown and Ivory come alive with the accents of Blues and Grey for contrast.]

Might not be too too neutral / boring if an upholstered ottoman had color...?

Rizzy Home Vogue Collection Rug, 8'x10' · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/rizzy-home-vogue-collection-rug-8x10-prvw-vr~133593328

Flo Mangan

Ok well you could go to 80” for the tv console. But if you are getting a 65” TV the width of 65” TV is approximately 55” wide. So a 72” console would leave about 8” on each side. If you plan to stay here 5 years more then you can do whatever you like. But if you plan to move in next year or so be careful of long pieces of furniture. They are harder to fit into many places.

• luminel

They are all nice!! I’m sure how they would look with my sectional as my couch is not a true grey, there is a hint of green to it. This could be due to the yellow floors. The lamps also give off yellow light for some reason.

• Gcubed

Have you tried changing light bulbs in lamps? They may be 2-3K LEDs and giving off yellow light. Go “whiter” (3500-4K LED) and then see how it looks.

• skunst2017

Flo , you are great !

Flo Mangan

My goodness thanks for the kind words skunst2017!