shive_gw

Favorite Eyed and Edged Daylilies of 2019

shive
last modified: November 19, 2019

Post your favorite eyed and edged daylilies from last season here. The next category will be eyes without edges.

Here were some of mine in this category:

Abilene Lillian

Sam Abell

Baja California

Sanford Intermezzo

River City Pier Surfer

Debra

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)

Debra, your Abilene Lillian is always lovely. I also love River City Pier Surfer. We too grow Sam Abell and love it.

Trying to narrow down my choices to 10 is going to be hard. We love edges and eyes here. But I'll give it a try.

I know I have posted Bodacious Bite a lot, but it truly is one of my favorites. It never disappoints. It's rock hardy and fertile and gives consistently lovely flowers. What more could one ask of a daylily.

Crimson Stories is a Lambertson that has done reasonably well here. It is proving to be an important parent for eyed daylilies with teeth.

John Bassilli is Florida-bred, but it has done reasonably well here. We are using it in search of big yellow eyes on a yellow background.

Let's Dance Tonight is another Florida-bred daylily. It has performed well for us. The flowers can be a little erratic and sometimes they are double, but it quite fertile. We can't wait to see some of its babies. It's edge is wider than any other daylily's in our garden.

Remembered Kisses is a favorite of mine.

More to come . . .

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)

I was glad we were able to get Westbourne Frills and Thrills from Mary Jane Meadows before she passed. I don't think her daylilies are easily found now. It is fertile and is being used in our red and yellow program. We haven't seen any seedlings from it yet, but next season we should have some.

Stoke the Fire is another we hope to use in the red and yellow program. This past summer was its first to flower in our garden.

I love Wickedly Wild and Wonderful. It doesn't live up to its stats in our garden, but always flowers.

Snidely Whiplash is one that we were fortunate enough to get in Canada. It is fertile and is giving us some nice babies.

Incendiary is doing well now that we moved it. It has never shown the applique pattern in our garden.

That's my 10 and it was a hard choice.

Nancy

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

Nan, I love Incendiary and Lets Dance Tonight, can’t wait to see some of your babies from these blooms.

Debra, had a hard time choosing but Sam Abell managed to get to the top of the list today, hope you add some more of these beauties later!

Sherry

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

My favorite in this category is a new addition, Red Eyed Fantasy. I only saw a few blooms this season and they were gorgeous.

Another favorite is Lollipop Kisses, wish it was a bit taller.
    An older one, Hearts Abound, has been a really good performer here.
    Soft Hearted Mother has lovely pastel blooms but was in a horrible spot. She got moved this past summer, hopefully will improve.
    Storm Shelter, still getting established here. I like it’s unusual color.
    Sherry

• Nancy 6b

Debra, I love Sam Abell and Abilene Lillian. Nancy, my favorites of yours are John Bassilli and that edge makes Let's Dance Tonight my very favorite so far. I have Incendiary too and love it, mine has only once shown a bit of a pattern. Sherry, I have Red Eyed Fantasy too and love it. My favorite is Storm Shelter, I like the different color

I promise next year I will work out ahead of time what I am going to post in each category! Here are mine

Annabelle's Blush, pretty sure I posted this in the pinks

Bullfrog Kisses, 1st year bloom and it did so well.

Crazy Ivan

Pretty sure I posted Hillbilly Heart already

Jamaican Me Crazy, I think that is Rock Solid in the bottom corner, another favorite

Jamaican Music

Paradise City

Pleasing to the Eye is very blue sometimes. This photo was at the end of its bloom so you can't tell that it bloomed really well this year

Westbourne Easter Egg Hunt is a very short bloomer, not really out of the foliage this year, but it sure blooms well

Parrots of the Caribbean is not the heaviest budded but I do love the bloom

\

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

Nancy, Bullfrog Kisses is my favorite of yours, I think it’s shade of red that got me. Crazy Ivan is on the top of my list too!

Sherry

• celeste

My hands-down top two favorites are an easy pick......

INCENDIARY

and CELEBRATE THE DAY

After them, these are the others:

ANNABELLE'S BLUSH

SUN PANDA

• celeste

CIRCUS PERFORMER

WINDHAM DRAGONFLY HUNTER

GAVIN PETIT

MOUSSAKA

• celeste

FRANK'S STAR OF BETHLEHEM has a bit of an eye and certainly has an edge!

LEDGEWOOD'S FIRECRACKER

THAT ROUNDS OUT MY TOP 10.

• signet_gw(6b)

I have very few of this type so feel free anyone to use my 10 slots to post your images

• Brad KY 6b

Another nice bunch! My preference is to not have a pale, washed-out basic color. I like a vivid color with a great eye or as white as can be with a great eye. Hence, the general reason for my choices:

Debra-Sam Abell

Hoosier Nancy, John Bassilli, Incendiary, Snidely Whiplash [love the cartoon too]

Nancy-Bull Frog Kisses

Sherry: Red eyed Fantasy

Celeste--Frank's Star of Bethleham [my favorite of this category so far], Incendiary, & Windham Dragonfly Hunter.

Here are some of mine:

Belle Isle Sentry and Chance Encounter are easy choices.

Noid and Elegant Candy.

That's all for me. The few more I have are either for another category or not in the top favorite list.

Brad

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

Brad, I like your noid.

Celeste, Incendiary is at the top of the list again! Love that purple in your garden. Wind ham Dragonfly Hunter is lovely, love that shade of lavender.

Sherry

• lilykate7a

Wow! Too many on here to list as liking!! As Celeste said on one list, I like them all!! This one is my top favorite! Thomas Tew

• lilykate7a

Now let’s see about the others!

Purple Sombrero -prolific bloomer

• lilykate7a

Aslan

• lilykate7a

I’m a Pirate

And this is what Sunday River does on rebloom-almost entirely different color-

• Nancy 6b

Love Frank's Star of Bethlehem, Celeste! Lovely color. Brad, your Noid is my favorite, and Kate, Thomas Tew is gorgeous, love that vivid color.

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

Kate, always enjoy your photos of your favorite, Thomas Tew, and another great photo of Bullfrog kisses. I’m also attracted to Purple Sombrero, I don’t have enough lavender in the garden.

Sherry

• Brad KY 6b

Kate, enjoyed your blooms. That is so interesting about Sunday River's reblooms.

• shive

I like nearly everything posted in this category. Celeste's clump shot of Sun Panda tops them all for me.

Here are my remaining five favorites.

Lady Betty Fretz

Born in California

Blue Jay Tapestry

Little Light of Mine

Color Crazy

Debra

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

Love Color Crazy! I’m looking forward to my Little Light of Mine looking this great.

Sherry

• KarenPA_6b

Lovely blooms everyone! These are my favorites from everyone:

Debra- Abilene Lillian, Blue Jay Tapestry, and Lady Betty Fretz

Hoosier Nancy- John Bassilli and Westbourne Frills and Thrills

Nancy-Bull Frog Kisses, Westbourne Easter Egg Hunt - short scapes but so pretty!

Sherry- Red eyed Fantasy

Celeste-CELEBRATE THE DAY, Incendiary, & Windham Dragonfly Hunter.

Brad-lovely NOID

Kate-Thomas Tew and both versions of Sunday River

Here are some of mine:

Purify My Heart - here's one that I was so enamored with after seeing Debra's pic of it many years ago. I still love it so much because it is such a great and prolific bloomer. It also has the whitest petals of all they eyed daylilies in the garden.

Precious Candy

Mountain Wild Flower

Seedling out of Crayola City X unknown

True Calling

• Nancy 6b

I saw Purify my Heart in person, lively in photos but stunning in person. Good to know that it has good traits too. I really like the look of True calling too

• KarenPA_6b

Here are some eyed and edged seedlings:

1

2

3

4

5 - prettiest violet eyed seedling from Boomerang
    Effect x Petes Electric Blue Beauty

• Brad KY 6b

Debra, Blue Jay Tapestry is very nice.

Karen--True calling is nice, but WOW for Precious Candy. Great coloring and style. I looked it up on garden.org, and I see a lot of pictures, including yours, are very purple. Others, including Debra's, is more red-purple. Of course the purple is what I like.

Nice seedlings too.

• Nancy 6b

Great seedlings Karen! Especially the last one.

• signet_gw(6b)

Wow there really are some beauties here . My eye is drawn to Sam Abell, Wickedly Wild and Wonderful , Snidely Whiplash , Red Eyed Fantasy , Soft Hearted Mother , Storm Shelter, Easter Egg Hunt , Incendiary , OMG Celebrate the Day (to die for) , Frank's Star of Bethlehem , and Brad's seedling , Thomas Tew , Purple Sombrero , Sunday Fever and Blue Jay Tapestry , Precious Candy, Moutain Wildflower and True Calling and Karen's seedling Boomerang Effect x Petes Electric Blue Beauty . That's quite the list and all have gone on my want list except for Brad and Karen's seedlings which is only because they aren't commercially available . I am gonna have to buy more land !

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

Karen, Purify my Heart is gorgeous, I like the white background and great pink. Your seedlings are really lovely, my favorites are the first and last seedling.

Sherry

• lilykate7a

Karen, I am glad you posted Precious Candy. I could not find a good picture of it in my garden and it is probably my favorite of the Candy series. You have some really pretty ones but I love your seedlings! They are gorgeous!

• shive

Karen - Purify My Heart is a great one. Mine is in too much shade now and doesn't bloom as well as it once did. I may need to find a bettter place for it in the spring. The Boomerang Effect seedling is a knockout! How does Mountain Wild Flower perform for you? I added it a year ago in the fall but wasn't impressed by the bud count in its first year.

Debra

• KarenPA_6b

Thanks all for the kind comments regarding my seedlings!

Debra, I hope that you can find a good place for Purify My Heart! One year it sent 3 scapes up for one fan! You have so many nice eyed and edged daylilies throughout the years. Two other ones that I really love from past color series are Picasso's Intrigue and Born to Be Wild. Do you have those anymore? You are right about the low budcount of Mountain Wild Flower. I like it because every flower that opens is just perfect and grabs you right away.

• shive

Karen - I still have Picasso's Intrigue, but it was seriously attacked by grubs and went down to just two fans that had short scapes and very few buds last year. I'm hoping it rebounds next year. I've never had Born to Be Wild, although I like the photos I've seen. Maybe you're thinking of Sweet Almond Mint, which is pretty in the early morning but becomes a limp dishrag by noon when temps are 90 or above.

Sweet Almond Mint

Debra

• KarenPA_6b

I think you are right. It was Sweet Almond Mint. When I saw your pic, I really wanted to get it but kept getting outbid by other people on the LA. Now after hearing its early fading, I am glad that I was outbid! But your Picasso's Intrigue was what blew me away! It was so so gorgeous! I am so sorry to hear that the grubs had a liking for it. I also got it two years ago. It died from rot the following year after planted. It was not a vigorous plant for me.

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)

Karen, I love your seedlings, especially #3, 4, and 5. I love the shape of #3 and the sepals are really nice. #4 is a luscious color. I love the dark band around the purple eye that is repeated on the sepals and petal edges. Nice job!

• KarenPA_6b

Thanks, Nancy! I am so glad that you like #3. Out of all its sibs (which are not posted in the above group), it is the only one with the high number of buds and consistent reblooms. These characterisitics are great but only if the flower is nice. I really appreciate your observations and keen eye.