fastrunner84

Backsplash regret, seems to exacerbate poorly chosen color scheme

Jessica

I’ve gotten a late start in choosing colors for my home. I’m new to design, and also new to my open concept which was done in this remodel. My many mistakes have caused a domino effect. Although I’ve chosen nice items, something seems off. I think it’s the backsplash exacerbating a poorly thought out color scheme.

We started by paining The living room in SW 7571 Casa Blanca. (Warm antique white). Then we painted the kitchen and dining room SW 6896 sole. A warm yellow. We have true white kitchen cabinets and didn’t want the dining room to be white also. All trim in house is true white.

I made a big mistake in not viewing Countertop properly. It looks like a blue-gray and was fighting with the yellow walls. Not a good look.

We then chose a backsplash with a blue glass, black white and stainless. We thought it’d pull the kitchen together. (White cabinets, stainless/black appliances, blue gray countertop) We then had an in home consultation with Sherwin Williams to choose a blue for the walls that’d work with countertop and backsplash. They recommended painting kitchen & dining room walls SW 6219 Rain.

We loved the Rain wall color. We couldn’t wait to finally install our glass backsplash. (Crystal Cove from Home Depot).

Well, although I feel the Sherwin Williams rep was correct in coordination of the countertop, kitchen paint with this backsplash, I guess I hadn’t considered the magnitude of having SO MUCH BLING. I find the backsplash too loud compared to my overall home design. I feel it emphasizes my poorly thought out color scheme. It’s become a focal point, and not in a good way.

I hate the thought of redoing it. I guess I’m looking for someone with a trained eye to tell me if I’m making too big of a deal about this. I know design rules can be broken. But I’ve never seen the rule broken having completely different color schemes in an open floor plan. But of course I’m new to design. Please tell me if I am making too big of a deal or if I’m correct and this should be replaced. We are on a tight budget but redoing the backsplash won’t kill us. It isn’t grouted yet if that helps.

• Jessica

Kraftmaid Cardell Cabinet color is “Dove White”

• Dormelles

@Jessica Cream of any kind is going to clash with your cool "blue gray countertop" as you described it in your original post.

Jessica thanked Dormelles

If you had this refrigerator what cabinets and floor color would you choose?

Ok so I brought in some of my plants..the ones in small pots. I need plants in here. I think I have been so overwhelmed by all the gardening that I forgot I love to have plants inside too. My hands and arms look like I have been mauled by a mountain lion. I have this one amazing bogenvilia thats almost up to the roof and to save money I tied it to the trellises myself...lots of thorns. Funny how all my beautiful plants have thorns. Anyway I also put a deep purple curtain on the dining room table and I really like the color. A table cloth isn't a modern look. I wonder if I can attach it somehow with adhesive and than put like a polyethylene over the top.. see I get these crazy ideas. I guess I an kinda thinking of how to wallpaper a table. Is that possible? Is there any other way to re-cover a table besides paint? Or should I just buy a new glass table for that spot in the kitchen near the window. Only fits a 60x 36 table.How similar or different should 2 tables be if in the same open visual space? Anyway and then I put some other art into that area to bring in some color. Your right. I do need color. and I need art. When I look for art I only like original expensive art in galleries. I always tell myself I am not going to buy that. I just need to learn how to make it. But getting myself to follow thru and do it is another story.Maybe I have add. I know I drive my handi-men crazy with always going from project to project and all they want to do is complete one thing at a time ( men can't multitask). They told me this...lol I dont know why I have a fear of picking a color. Maybe I like too many of them. I recently met a painter and we discussed painting the house but when he said "what color" its like someone asking me to jump off a bridge. I get scared. What happened was that I fell in love with these metallic paints and bought many colors to use as accent walls for each room. Than I hired 3 different men to try to apply them and none could without streaks. I ended up leaving it on 2 walls but if you look close you see lots of variation and streaks. When I tried to find a shimmering silver in a semigloss nothing compared. Its the metallic flakes that I like..the shimmer and reflection found only in metallic. So yeah thats why the walls are white...lol.... wait tell me again... I dont need to choose a floor and cabinet color before I decorate with art or paint? LOL... Oh whatever I might as well continue to work backwards. really I should have done the interior design than just built the house around the rooms..I think at this point the floor will be the last thing I get. I can't do anything in a conventional manner can I? So when do you get back to working on your place?

Is backsplash too much? How can I break it up?

I did finally decide on a back splash that I am very happy with. We are very pleased with the way the kitchen turned out. It has been a long journey and I wanted to return and thank everyone for all the great ideas. Now added a new discussion to complete the fireplace remodel. Hope to hear all your great suggestions.

Should we paint our kitchen cabinets white?

Update -- painted yet? Anything painted will, inevitably, need repainting and will look awful as it gets that way. Wood in good condition with a natural wood finish shouldn't be painted -- it will decrease the value of your home. All white cabinets are stark and sterile looking but a pain in the back to keep clean in any kitchen that is actually used. One caveat: You could paint the base cabinet that creates your island any color you want without doing real harm to the value of your home, both because it already doesn't match your other really nice kitchen cabinets and because, absent plumbing, replacing an island bar (even with electrical outlets) is not only a less costly reno, it is a lot less disruptive and less problematic project for someone living in the home than redoing the rest of the kitchen cabinets. To decide what color to paint the island bar base cabinet, look at the other colors you've chosen for painting and furnishing your home. In all candor, and except for your beautiful kitchen cabinets, your entire home living area seems to be whites and neutrals -- almost too bland and sterile to feel inviting. From the pic, it's not clear on my screen whether your sofa is white or an extremely pale blue. I've seen both fireplace surrounds and island bar base cabinets painted a beautiful blueish/gray -- together they link the great room created by living/dining/kitchen all as one room. You might consider some vertical vinyl blinds for the kitchen window and paint the base cabinet of the island bar and your fireplace surround and your supporting posts in the living area all that same color. https://www.google.com/search?q=blue+fireplace+surround&biw=1366&bih=673&tbm=isch&imgil=cw_WjWasVMeW6M%253A%253BOJ1kVrPXShOkDM%253Bhttps%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.pinterest.com%25252Fabbieraine%25252Fpainted-fireplace-mantels%25252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=cw_WjWasVMeW6M%253A%252COJ1kVrPXShOkDM%252C_&usg=__hYHekQHceWplmUt4yOBfpQQLLsI%3D&ved=0CCgQyjdqFQoTCMnY9rHszcgCFco5Pgodl24MRA&ei=g4UkVomLDsrz-AGX3bGgBA#imgrc=cw_WjWasVMeW6M%3A&usg=__hYHekQHceWplmUt4yOBfpQQLLsI%3D Ditto in gray. [https://www.houzz.com/photos/kitchen-transitional-rendering-manchester-phvw-vp~37141662[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/kitchen-transitional-rendering-manchester-phvw-vp~37141662)

Cabinet Color Dilemma - Pale Grey/Greige, Navy or White?

Lauren, we just sold our home in November. I redid the kitchen two years prior with resale in mind. We had a fairly large kitchen with a huge island that had been done mid 90's with frosted maple cabinets (talk about outdated!). We painted the cabinets on the perimeter a soft ivory and had a new island made in cherry. I put brown quartz on the perimeter and used bianco antico granite on the island. I used all neutral colors but painted the walls a very very light blue grey. I sold the home the first day. If I had been staying, I may have made different choices but I still picked out what i liked but kept the colors neutral in order to sell. I am building a (modular) home in the next couple months. I would LOVE to have a kitchen as Aqua Kitchen and Bath describes to a T! White or ivory perimeter cabinets with deep blue island. with Cambria quartz. It is my dream kitchen but hoping it will not look dated within a few years. No one wants their home to look old and dated unless 15 years have passed! LOL
  • calidesign

The back splash needs to be white tiles to match the cabinets, so regardless of what paint color you use on the wall, the kitchen will always look right. I like your kitchen and dining area in a different wall color though since the rooms are not fully open. It adds some interest. If all the walls and your furniture are a cream color it may look very bland. You'll have to add lots of colorful artwork and accessories.

Jessica thanked calidesign
  • tedbixby

Jessica, I know it is hard to not beat yourself up over your selection but try not to as with age comes wisdom and lots of experience learned from mistakes. Believe me, I'm sure all of us old geezers ( and slightly younger ones, too-lol)could tell a story or two ( or more!) of our design mistakes way back when. Believe me, once you replace the backsplash you won't think twice about the extra work and expense that went into it. It's amazing how all this grief is short term once you have something you love.

And if you haven't, don't be afraid to shop other tile stores including the local ones as usually they can be as competitive in pricing and offer something different than what HD offers. Bring samples home, post them here and we can chirp in with yeas or nays if you like.

Jessica thanked tedbixby
  • Kath Furt

What is your countertop?

Jessica thanked Beth H. :
  • Kath Furt

Yikes

Jessica thanked Kath Furt
  • Design Girl

White subway tile, white grout - It seems from the picture you posted that your refrigerator doesn't really fit the space well. Perhaps it's just the angle. If not, get yourself a counter depth fridge that fits your space better.

Jessica thanked Design Girl
  • Jessica

November 23 update: We removed the backsplash today! It’s gone. Husband did most. I removed some too. I did as much as I could. but it was a scary job and I’m dangerous lol) As you can see it was stubborn to remove. A lot of Sheetrock came off with it.

Not sure when the new tile will be up, we’re still deciding . Probably white 3x6 subway tile, Kitchen is small so im doubtful bigger sizes like 3x8 would be the correct scale. 4x4 square doesn’t thrill us because that’s what was on the wall in the kitchen when we purchased the house in 1995. (although I know my husband would fo a better job!!!)

Please feel free to comment if there’s anything I am not considering. I’m open to ideas. Will it look ok if we choose a slightly shiny white subway tile? I’m not thrilled with matte

• Design Girl

I think the polished or shiny subway will look great. Matte tiles can sometimes be harder to clean, and the glossy finish will help bounce light around in a smaller space. I agree that the standard 3 x6 better than a larger scale tile. I think you'll be very pleased. Just make sure you get a tile that compliments the white of your cabinets. Some whites are warm, some are cold. It's amazing how many shades of white there are.

Jessica thanked Design Girl
  • Kath Furt

So are the cabinets blue or white?

• Dormelles

@Kath Furt The cabinetry is white, Kraftmaid Dove color. OP is saying she is planning to re-paint the blue to match her living room walls which are a cream color, but in my opinion, that would be a mistake with all the cool colors in the kitchen area, white cabinets and blue/gray countertops by her own description. She wrote a few comments above, "I am definitely planning to paint over the blue so the kitchen/dining room will be same paint as living room (antique white of the living room SW 7571 Casa Blanca)." Here is a clearer photo of the existing kitchen with the exception of the backsplash which has been torn out, and some previous commenters are saying they dislike the blue, but I think it's better than potential cream walls:

Jessica thanked Dormelles
  • tatts

I read the comment about removing the under cabinet lights and adding black to tone down the contrast and a black island light.

That is a horrible idea for two reasons.

1. You'd be putting the function in second place, after the form (design).

2. The kitchen is a workspace, above all else. And like every workspace, you need bright, diffuse light to see what you are doing. Under cabinet lights are far, far more important that the backsplash while you are working there. Bright, even lighting with no dark shadows is a must for any workspace. That should be your primary concern in making these decisions. Don't let the design hobble the usefulness of the kitchen during every meal time for years to come.

Jessica thanked tatts
  • Dormelles

@Jessica It's hard to get a feel for the colors from the varying lighting in your home photos, so I put together a comparison of your paint colors from the manufacturers. The following photos are from the Sherwin Williams website and the Kraftmaid website showing your 2 paint colors. I'd strongly encourage you to reconsider painting your kitchen SW 7571 Casa Blanca because the warm tone isn't complementary to your white Dove cabinetry particularly given your gray countertop.

As to shiny versus matte backsplash tile, your countertop appears matte, so just make sure the shiny tile if you choose it doesn't make the countertop finish seem out of place. You might want to look for more of a satin type of finish for the tile if you don't like matte.

Jessica thanked Dormelles
  • mnmamax3

Congrats on moving on - it's so frustrating when it looks like it should have worked by marrying all those colors together. If you are going plain white subway anyway, I would wait to paint the blue walls. I kind of like them and it might work once the backsplash is completed. I like some of the options Beth posted with more unique shapes. I get with traditional furnishing you don't want to get too crazy but more elongated would be nice (not the skinny strips though - that would be that busy look you are trying to avoid).

Jessica thanked mnmamax3
  • tedbixby

Bring home samples of tiles as there are 1,000's of different shades of white and what may look perfect in the store may not look the same with your lighting and everything else.

Jessica thanked tedbixby
  • Jessica

Thank you all great advice. For now, the kitchen/dining room walls will have to stay blue until after the holidays. We are tired:)

Dormelles: I wanted to ask about an idea that might make it possible for me to paint all my rooms (including most of kitchen) the warm Casa Blanca shade like the living room. If we paint the soffit/bulkhead above the upper cabinets white, as Bri Bosh suggested, the cabinetry and the Casa Blanca would never touch except for in one small, non prominent section (left of the stove). Would this be a good solution to warm up my transition from the living room into the kitchen and keep the cabinetry, backsplash and bulkhea/soffit white?

• Dormelles

@Jessica You know what is so great about you is your responsiveness in this thread and willness to consider a variety of options! I've only been a part of the Houzz forum for about a year researching my own leak-induced 4-room remodel and probably won't remain long once it is done, but in this short time I've seen so many threads where someone presented a design dilemma and then didn't respond or went and posted a whole bunch of new threads asking the same questions they'd already asked somewhere else and already gotten responses to which they hadn't regarded. You've been the rare person to offer such nice interaction, and I know that everyone including myself appreciates that.

The following list will be an attempt at summarizing your story thus far with a few new suggestions. Though I'm not a color expert, I do have an accredited bachelor's degree in design, housing, and merchandising with a moderate familiarity of color theory, so please take my advice as merely rough guidelines and go with your gut feeling when making your final selections.

OK, I'm reading between the lines and hearing perhaps the following thought sequence from you; my suggestions will be in italics following each point:

• This remodel included wall removal, and you're new to the fact that the living, dining, and kitchen areas are so visible to each other now and are eager to have a color scheme that flows throughout the three rooms. The living room is semi-separated by an archway, so you can get away with different wall colors as long as they coordinate. We'll try to guide you toward a few possibilities, but putting antique white with cream tones up against that much expanse of pure white cabinetry isn't recommended.
    • You love the Casa Blanca antique white in the living room, and the pure white trim throughout the house isn't a matching problem for you. White and off white can work fine together in some instances depending on the undertones. White with cream is trickier, but you should leave these two colors in your house as they are for now for sanity's sake. Color expert Maria Killam has written about combining white/off white/cream in several posts on her blog. Check out this article to learn more.
    • You originally picked yellow walls for the kitchen, a warm tone that coordinated with the antique white in the living room. So, your heart instinct was to go with a warm, sunny color. At present, you're considering going back to antique white because you want to get back some of that warmth.
    • The kitchen countertop which you describe as blue/gray clashed with the yellow walls, so you then decided to change the walls. It's hard from your photos to see much blue as it looks mostly gray. Is this quartz? If so, do you have a brand and color name for it that we can look up? Countertop is permanent, so our suggestions will need to avoid alienating this part of the kitchen.
    • So, a Sherwin Williams color consultant came to your house and suggested Rain blue walls, which you say you like. You based a backsplash choice on trying to tie together the countertop with the blue paint, but you disliked the final effect, and I'm not sure the entire problem was the color contrast and shine of the tile. It may be because your original vision for the kitchen was yellow, a different tonal direction.
    • Even with the backsplash removed, you're still concerned that the blue walls are clashing with the antique white walls in the living room. You want more warmth to the kitchen color scheme and wonder if you can achieve this by adding more antique white color to the kitchen/dining space along with a pure white soffit. If this is the case, please don't get pure white backsplash tile or paint any of the walls or soffit pure white! You need a color, some sort of color to warm things up in the area if that's your goal. Many knowledgeable people have already commented in this thread and recommended white backsplash tile, but remember that cool-toned kitchens are more common in current design trends than warm ones so white tile is a common direction to take, and they are also assuming you planned to keep the blue walls. If you want warmth, absolutely stay away from putting more white in your kitchen at this point, including tile and any extra white wall paint. The antique white isn't going to work in that area, either, see next point.
    • You're optimistic that antique white will help tie together all the rooms, but because of your Dove white cabinetry (which I've been referring to as "pure white" to simplify terms though it doubtless leans toward some undertone other than strictly white, which is hard for us to determine on a computer screen), you aren't so sure about putting the antique white up next to the cabinets. Yes, please don't paint the dining room or soffit either antique white or pure white. This will lead to a mishmash of whites that clash with each other.
    • All the changes and now the backsplash demolition have left you exhausted this holiday season. Keep up the good work! Most of this remodel is behind you, and you're going to love it when it is done. Please post some more information about your countertop if you can, and let the Houzz community suggest some subtle colors you might be able to incorporate that would tie everything together. If you're set on removing blue walls, hold off on the white tile for now. I can see your liking a pale tint of some color in the kitchen area. The antique white can extend to the underside of the living room archway.
    Jessica thanked Dormelles
  • calidesign

The soffit needs to be whatever wall color you choose. Don't try to match the cabinets. It will look disjointed.

Jessica thanked calidesign
  • Jessica

Here is a better picture of our granite. The name is Herdwick. There are a lot of uniqueness. If you Google Herdwick granite the photos don’t look like mine. It is difficult to describe the color. I’m stuck with it i realize. I think it would be wasteful to discard. It has beauty and a nice feel to it. Functional. There’s some badly placed asymmetrical veining but thats how Mother Narture formed it. Fortunately my cutting board completely covers the oddly places vein and i use the cutting board so it’s functional and there it stays.

That said, the color of this granite countertop was kind of a surprise and is throwing off my design. Just before countertop installation, we painted the kitchen and dining room yellow. Then the countertop was installed and the countertop looked like gray with faded denim undertones. Maybe! i don’t trust our eyes anymore. I’d say it’s gray/black/white.

What if we darkened the granite with an enhancer? It’s a honed finish and water spots are driving me crazy already. it has been sealed but i cook

a lot and it seems to need to be resealed so i was considerMing the enhancer. A benefit to thr enhancer is this: it would “blacken“ thr granite giving it a wet look. Maybe that would eliminate the blue undertones and allow me to pursue a plan of a whole house wall color?

too many decisions. I better hurry hubs wants to get this defused and put up Subway tile. We much prefer the glossy (L) over the matte (R)

whet should we do I’m even more confused

now.

• Kath Furt

Your granite is beautiful. Never heard of enhancing, but we had polished. I did have honed marble for a backsplash. I would do the white subway on the left with dark grout! It was just too busy. Looks beautiful with the white subway

Jessica thanked Kath Furt
  • Jessica

Here a pic of granite countertop with the yellow paint SW (sole) it didn’t look right So we painted SW Rain which is the blue we still have

BEFORE: early in remodel (yellow walls before repainting blue)

• Kath Furt

I like a whole house color. We used Agreeable grey in our new build with greys and blues, then we have accessible beige in this one. Canvas tan is also pretty and lighter

• Kath Furt

And don’t worry about covering up the veining!! That’s what makes it look so good

• Kath Furt

Yes that does not go

Beth H. :

jessica,,,if you drop a bead of water on the countertop, does it sit or get absorbed?

if it absorbs, it will take a sealer. And enhancing sealer is just that. It will deepen and darken natural stone. Once you apply it, it can't be undone. so if you have any spare stone or a spot that doesn't stand out as much, try a little bit of it there to see if you like the look. Basically it that type of sealer will look the same as it does when you wet the stone. does applying water to the countertop make the color deeper? (If it's properly sealed, it won't do it) But that's what the enhancer will do.

try 511 or aqua mix.

Jessica thanked Beth H. :
  • Jessica

Thank you Dormelles for the excellent summary and advice. Yes that’s pretty much where we are. Although whole house color is necessary in full open floor plans, you are correct that we have semi-open so we can use a different color beyond the archway where Living room ends and dining room begins.

But although I don’t have full open concept, I can see how following the whole house color scheme would improve thr look of my design and have many benefits. But unfortunately, given my Gray granite countertop, a whole house color scheme might be taking me further from finishing the house. We’d have to buy new living room furniture or reupholster and paint everything grayish, something we dont want to do as we love our family heirloom furnishings. We like the ivory leather sofa and recliners they are soooo comfy and they were my Mom’s and I don’t want to replace

The Sherwin Willians rep thought the transition was ok. Do you think we could plan to always keep a color in the blue areas? Like keep options open by matching subway tiles to cabinetry We don’t paint soffit white as Bri suggested. (Although that is a good suggestion, just not going to work in this particular instance.) And someday we will hopefully remove the soffitt. I wish we would’ve done that b4 hanging upper cabinets That is what makes me so disappointed with myself. If we had a design pro from the beginning, they undoubtedly would have pushed to remove soffit and go with tall cabinets almost to ceiling. We ended up over budget on cabinets (Menards) because we had several returns of special order items that were not Menards fault exactly but once we viewed them we decided to return and pay 25% restocking fee so we weren’t living with less than functional cabinet areas.

Sorry back to the color. Hubs wants to keep the blue and dining subway tile. I’m understanding I’ll probably need to give up my fkeeting hope of whole-house color. But if understand you correctly, we could someday repaint the blue a different color. (But not 7571 Casa Blanca since it’s too warm for cabinets.

thank you again Dormelles. I will also update on countertop enhancing before making final tile choice.

• Jessica

Beth H thank you I am calling countertop shop to inquire about enhancer. I think It would help hide spots. Mine was sealed before install with a clear sealer. . I’m hoping it’s not too late to put in enhancer. Although mines been sealed, water spots still take days to disappear

• Dormelles

@Jessica Your husband is a lot like mine wanting to get things finished up quickly! I showed my husband the photos in this thread last night and told him how eager your husband is to get the new backsplash up, and he said, "I understand." For our ongoing renovation, my husband has had to exercise patience with my decision-making process, as it takes time for me to consider the options and dwell on them long enough to be confident going forward, so in that respect, I understand your position, too. Here's addressing the various new issues you've brought up, point-by-point:

• Granite - First, the granite; it's beautiful. I looked up Herdwick and see that it typically comes in a honed finish, so you probably didn't have a choice on the finish type when you selected this color. The honing lightened the appearance from what it may have looked like polished and may have also opened up more pores in the stone so that water soaks in more readily, thus the temporary water stains you are seeing. A penetrating sealant would be a good idea. An enhancing sealer may actually bring out more of the color, so don't count on any sealant darkening the granite to the point of making it a dark neutral. Were this granite to be polished, you'd see a darker finish but also more of the color variation. That would be out of budget to change the finish at this point and usually involves having countertop removed and sent back the shop which is risky for damage to the countertop and cabinetry. Sealer, regularly maintained, should improve your water spotting issue and allow you many years of enjoyment of this honed countertop material.
    • Original Yellow Kitchen Walls - Thanks for the photo of the cabinetry with your original SW 6896 Sole wall paint. I'm wondering if you might have felt less that "something was off" in the color combinations if the yellow had been a bit more of a pastel. When looking at paint chips, the paint always seems more intense when placed over the entire spread of a wall compared to the samples, so it's sometimes hard to land on the tone you may have intended. In this Sole color, I think we're seeing that sunny warmth you are still craving for your kitchen area, explained in the next point.
    • Current Blue Walls - So, it sounds like discussion is ongoing in your household around your final two dilemmas which are both re-dos, the wall color and the backsplash. If only my own renovation were down to the last 2 items it would seem so much farther along, so I hope you're relieved to know that these last issues are a relatively small percentage of all the work and expense you've put in thus far. So, if I'm hearing you right, you like the Rain blue as a color by itself, but it is not feeling like a warm enough color for what you had intended for your kitchen. This Rain blue was selected by someone else, and it's draining the warmth out of the area, leaving you unsatisfied. Your husband is afraid that the color changes will go on and on if he allows another re-paint, but honestly, I think if you offer to do the painting yourself and give him the reasoning, perhaps you can have another go at the wall color.
    • Whole House Wall Color - You're hoping to get a whole house color, and I think you can if that's truly important to you. To do that, we are stuck with some unchangeable parameters thus far: white kitchen cabinets, white whole-house trim, gray/blue kitchen countertop, ivory living room furniture upholstery. For purposes of this list, I'm abandoning the idea of two colors between your kitchen/dining and living room, because even though it would probably work (your existing Rain/Casa Blanca, for example), two colors isn't the crowning finish of what you'd intended by an extensive remodel to get an open concept. There are two options I think are your greatest possibilities, 1) white walls, 2) non-white pastel color. More on that as follows.
    • Option #1 White Walls - White walls would work with all your parameters, but you may be left feeling like your house is colorless unless you really worked to pull in warmth and color with wall hangings and other decor, which is possible. You'd also need to repeat the ivory color in other ways throughout the decor so that it isn't limited to just the furniture. White/ivory combination pillows on the ivory couches, ivory floral arrangements in the kitchen and ivory wall hangings in the dining room are examples. You can Google "combining whites" for more information about how this has been successfully done.
    • Option #2 Non-White Pastel Color - A second option would be to lean in some non-white color direction for the entire area. My aunt has her enormous open-concept first floor painted SW 6204 Sea Salt, which is one example, a light green, which works fine with her white kitchen cabinetry, cream/black granite and colorful living room furniture. I'd recommend something a little more pastel than that, though. This is going to be tricky getting a color you like, but it can be done, and it can work for the whole house.
    • Backsplash - Even though your efficient husband can get a backsplash installed this week and is pressing to do so, the choice shouldn't be made until you've settled on a wall color. If you're unhappy with the coldness of the blue, a white backsplash is only going to commit you further to a cool color scheme in the kitchen. You said you much prefer the shiny white to the matte white tile, but I think that is because white is so boring. You're wanting more liveliness in the area especially because the countertop has a quiet pattern to it. Your countertop is honed, so shiny is going to compete with that. I think something with moderate color variation might work for you on the backsplash to provide more of the feel you're craving, but you need to firm up the wall color first and hopefully even change the wall color if you're going to do that before settling on the backsplash. Sheetrock repair can be done for now where the previous backsplash was torn out. Take a very close look at some white/ivory/off-white blended backsplash materials if you want to bring in some off-white paint as a whole-house color. Also take a look at backsplashes that have some small contrasting pieces of gray in them to provide interest without having to go high gloss and accentuate the honed counter. I'll be traveling for the next 24 hours and won't have access to posting, but I'll be wishing you all the best with these difficult choices and will check back soon.

[Edit: This post originally had a suggested option as off-white walls. Looking at paint samples later, I realized the Sherwin Williams off-whites lean gray which isn't what is needed in this situation. Light cream would be a better suggestion such as in the example of the Kraftmaid Dove White kitchen cabinetry posted above. The backsplash seems to be a blend of cream and white tones. This option would involve re-painting everything including the current Casa Blanca walls to a lighter cream tint. The more pronounced ivory of the Casa Blanca color is going to be a tough sell next to the expanse of white kitchen cabinetry. You can get away with light cream walls next to white cabinets if, once again, you repeat and blend the whites together throughout the decor.]

Jessica thanked Dormelles
  • Jessica

Thank you so much Dormelles! You have been amazing understand my dilemma. i will research all these options you’ve presented. That should keep me busy for 24 hours. Safe travels to your destination and Happy Thanksgiving!

• Dormelles

@Jessica, here are a few links with examples of different whites combined in open spaces, all from color expert Maria Killam who has written extensively on this topic on her blog. Take note especially of the photos she provides in these posts:

1. https://www.mariakillam.com/combiningwhites-2/
    2. https://www.mariakillam.com/whiteandcream/
    3. https://www.mariakillam.com/3-ways-white-walls-work-earthy-finishes/
    4. https://www.mariakillam.com/jilsoniamcdonald/

And here are a few examples of wall color plus variegated backsplash color for your consideration. Click on each photo to view a larger version with better clarity. All these photos supposedly feature Kraftmaid Dove White cabinetry:

See more photos from this final project featuring a backsplash with dark dots at the Houzz project page here: https://www.houzz.com/hznb/photos/dovewhite-praa-sands-traditional-kitchen-phvw-vp~3244794

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, too!

• Dormelles

@Jessica Any more thoughts on your paint and backsplash colors? I'd like you to know that I stopped by a Sherwin Williams' store after my last post and looked at a SW 7571 Casa Blanca swatch and suddenly realized when seeing the color in person that you probably chose this because it was a perfect match to your ivory living room furniture. I'd hate to mess that up. Thinking forward, could you keep the living room color as is for now if it is a match to that furniture and then think toward repainting at a later time if the upholstery ever fails and you want to re-cover? You've mentioned this is family heirloom furniture, so it has some wear on it, but it could last a long time, too, so maybe think about whether you would be content with a 2-color scheme in your open concept space for a number of more years.

When looking at off-white swatches such as SW 7004 Snowbound, they tend to lean toward a gray tone, which isn't what you need. I'm also not seeing any creams that appear to work well to pull together the area, primarily because of that prominent gray color in the counters. I'm wondering if a lighter pastel yellow might work since you liked yellow for the area originally, but again, no yellow is looking great up against the gray.

While I'm not seeing this Casa Blanca color up against the white kitchen cabinetry as a pure tone, I do have a few wild ideas. It's not as common these days, but in years past we saw many two-tone walls painted with faux effects. I'm wondering if you could use a base white that matches your cabinetry and do some type of faux effect with the Casa Blanca paint on top or vice versa so that there is a mixture of colors. You'd have to like this look, but it could be a way to blend from white to ivory. Doing a sample board and holding it up to the cabinetry first would be essential.

To sum things up, a safe color for the walls would be a white to match your cabinetry. KraftMaid/Cardell is using the term "Dove White" to describe this paint which is also a Benjamin Moore color that has some cream to it. It's hard for us to see via computer what direction the cabinets lean color-wise. Sherwin Williams 7005 Pure White would be a place to start in looking for a perfect match to the cabinetry.

Even if you do white walls, I still think some interest to the backsplash other than plain white subway would lend more of the interest you seem to be wanting to the kitchen area. The other option of course, which your husband is wanting at this time, is to keep all the wall paint as is and finish out the backsplash. Wall paint can be changed fairly easily at any time, so as long as you know what direction you'd want to go color-wise with the paint if you ever did repaint, then you will be fine proceeding to finish the backsplash. I'm interested to hear where you are in the thought process.

• Jessica

Wow! Dormelles thank you so much! You are so sweet to think of me and my dilemma this busy week. I love how you understand the situation how we’ve made irreversible decisions as far the countertop and cabinets. We need a way choose a color scheme and re-paint ourselves out of this predicament!

Am update on my end: i finally stopped at Countertop Shop and picked up a sample size slab of my granite. (Lol too bad thr countertop was installed over a month ago.). But better late than never. Now I have a slab to shop with. It was too late to obtain a scrap from my actual tops, but it’s better then nothing. At least I have slab in hand to shop. It looks identical to me and is much better than a cell phone pic.

I stopped at a different Sherwin Williams that was near the Countertop Shop. The representative at this store gave me an 8x11 paint sheet of

Sea Salt. She thought Sea Salt be a prefect whole house color or just for kitchen. She said the granite slab does not have blue undertones. I’m not sure I see blue in my actual countertop anymore so hopefully this issue good news. .

But due to our lack of confidence in our ability to hammer out a color t mid-project, we decided to pay for an Interior design professional. We are having too many doubts about our ability to create a cohesive color scheme to get us out of this conflicting colors situation. Although we did have an SW in-home consultation who chose the blue rain, at that point we weren’t seeing the benefits of a cohesive whole house color scheme and unfortunately our question for the In-home paint pro were limited to the kitchen. ( I guess it wasn’t her place to talk us out of our bad choice of mosaic high contrast backsplash) In any event, I wish the paint pro had advised us that the result would look disjointed without serious additions of blue furnishings and pillows in thr living room, which I don’t think I’d like because everything is a neutral ivory/brown/taupe neutrals in the living room. I realize she was there as a paint pro not a whole house designer.

Dormelles I can’t wait to update you and everyone on this thread with good news and pics. Your handle on my dilemma is spot on given the fact all I’ve supplied is cell phone pics. i am planning to share your leg work and all the tips from the Houzz community to try to finalize a color palette.

I feel better doing this since we do feel over our heads with bad decisions thus far. I’m hoping I don’t need a lot of the designers time as we are do it yourselfers. But we do need help color-wise and to get us back on track do we can shop with confidence that our accessories we purchase will be harmonious.

Dormelles thank you again. I will update Friday. Also if you think of anything I’ve forgotten please feel free to comment i will check back.

• Kath Furt

I used sea salt in both our bathrooms with a new build and had carrerra marble on countertops, showers, white cabinets. It went well. Can’t wait to see what your designer says!! The white backsplash will look so much better, and since all your rooms flow together, I think one color would be better.

• Kath Furt

This was from our house we sold in 2/18. So kitchen was gutted in 2001 and then to update for sale we had cabinets painted in Dove white along with all doors, mouldings, trims etc. and then refinished the hardwoods. Sold in 6 days for $1.6M cash.....

• Kath Furt

Walls are accessible beige the entire down stairs. We actually did all that a year before we sold, but it helped to have it updated

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

Jessica, that's great news that you hired a design professional. It would be a good idea to run all your ideas by her/him, and not second guess your choices from this point forward. You're paying good money for the advice, and once you and your designer make a choice, you probably should go with it.

Good luck--I'm sure you'll be able to find colors and products that work to give you the home you have always wanted!

Jessica thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • Jessica

thank you Kath. I wonder how accessible beige would look with our granite. That was one of the colors I recall looking at in-store for the living room. That was back in August, so i have forgotten all

about accessible beige. I wonder if Accessible Beige would work with my true white cabinets and gray/black/white granite. I am hoping my countertop does not have a blue undertone. That assumption could be wrong on my part.

• Kath Furt

Agreeable grey is nice too! Just listen to your designer!! She narrows it down and you pick!

• Kath Furt

Check this out!! What our buyers did with the kitchen! A little busy for me, but love the update

• tedbixby

Jessica, You may want to put up white poster board over your backsplash and see what it does to your counter color. At least it might give you a better read of the countertop color and also if a white of some type tile should be a consideration.

• Jessica

Hello Houzz pals. I want to thank each and every one of your who commented. I needed to hear this!!! as i mentioned last week, we are working with a local interior designer. She’s already been here and sees our strengths and weaknesses. She gets our style and personality and is helping nudge us into an elegant but practical solution that will tie everything together. Your comments were helpful as it prepared us for the consultation which I’m sure saved precious time and money. And now she is off and running and giving us plenty to do. I won’t yet reveal the rooms we already painted per the designer’s smart recommendation, or the overall creative solutions she came up with by seeing the space in person. But I do hope all of you will check back. I will post results here and also in before and after. Again, thank you for the emergency design support education when I needed it. There is hope that these conflicting colors and styles can be blended into something we will love. Special thank you to Dormelles, Beth H, Calidesign, Kath Furt and eam44. Sorry, I won’t reveal our plan in process but we’ve already started I am looking forward to showing after pics!!! Hopefully we will be done January 2020.

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

What a nice comment, Jessica! Good luck on your project--looking forward to seeing your reveal!

• Kath Furt
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>Have fun Jessica and can’t wait to see the final!! It will still be you only better!!
    Jessica thanked Kath Furt
  • Kath Furt

I put a laughing emoji in there but it didn’t show!

• anna_682

following

Jessica thanked anna_682
  • lindastein

following

• lindahambleton

I am eager to see the results I bet you are too !

• T B

I agree that the backsplash should be switched out for something less dramatic. I'm also getting the impression from your pictures that the lighting in your kitchen is too harsh, especially compared to the warmer lighting in the adjacent dining room. Changing out those bulbs for a warmer/softer light might make a huge difference. Good luck!