dsimber

Wanted! Good eye for corner art! Mockup skills a bonus!

dsimber
last modified: November 22, 2019

This Houzz photo has been stuck in my mind. I love the way the prints balance the corner TV and console. Is the light fixture part of that balance?

Apartment · More Info

And here is a photo of my corner, just waiting to be finished.

corner vignette · More Info

My main objective is to pull the attention up and away from the tv and console and put it on the art. Do you have an opinion on how best to achieve this goal?

I’m interested in learning what would work best and why. But the real test is seeing it, so if you have the skills to provide mockups, maybe we can have some fun!

I’d also be interested in how I might raise the tv a little higher above the console, as in the Houzz photo.

Confession: This is a small project that is part of a larger one, posted elsewhere on Houzz. [If this is one of your pet peeves, then, by all means, just go on to the next dilemma.] If you have some thoughts and ideas specific to helping me add to this corner, I’d love to hear them! If, in order to help, you need photos of the rest of this open plan, I can certainly provide them here. I actually did quite a switcheroo today, so it is coming together, and I feel excited!

• orangecamera

For what it’s worth, I’ve been reading your name as I’d pronounce the month after “nvimber”.

dsimber thanked orangecamera
  • dsimber

Whew!

Multi level bonus room

On the upper level, move the desk and chair to the left wall, facing the right wall. Run your cord(s) to the outlet on the wall so nothing is sticking out beyond the desk. Move one of your chairs to the upper level and place angled from the right corner near the window. Place the table to the right of that chair. Take the lamp from your desk and place it on the table. Take the piece of art and hang it over the table next to the chair on the upper level. Place a small rug between the front of the desk and the chair (optional) Rent a small sofa that coordinates with the remaining chair. Place your remaining chair to the right side of the sofa on an angle. Place a floor lamp between. Find a coffee table on a small scale to place in front of the sofa. Find a rug to place in the area of the sofa and chair. Place a piece of art over the sofa. Throw in a silk tree to the left side of the buffet. Take off the candelabra from the buffet. If you can borrow a larger TV to fit the size of the TV, that would assist with the imbalance on that side of the room. Rent or borrow everything you can. This is not a beautification project. This is simply to show for resale.

Size of art for very tall wall in living room

Hi Marie The space with the tall wall has a light feel, as represented by the furniture, accent colours and artwork on the right wall. What about a set of 6 Silver Wave prints with silver foil accents? Can be printed large and displayed 3 over 3 or 3 rows of 2 across. Click here to see them: Silver Waves I would frame each print around 27" w - 30"+ w with a 2-3" white mat behind the print floating in front of the mat, in a distressed silver frame. All the same frames. You could also do a champagne coloured frame to pick up your pillows.

Need help with art, maybe drapes?

Look for a local artist, preferably young (in art) and unknown. The pieces will be less expensive than a well known artist and that will give you the option to purchase larger pieces. An added bonus could be that this artist may become famous later and than your pieces will go up in value. Having said that, if you are more into photography art, you can print your photographs on a large format via services like Shuttefly, Mpix and other local printing shops. It would be well within your art budget.

Do you have an eye for color? Need help with floors

Great help and questions here. I have very mixed feelings about the whitewash floor. It is the lightest, and this is a basement so I want to stay away from gloomy. But, it will maybe also show the most dirt. My place is not beachy which I often associate with the whitewash. And, I think whitewash is probably the most trendy. Actually I have thought about colored floors, and that may be our fallback option in a cheaper version of Marmoleum if it turns out that the basement floor slope can't be taken care of enough to install the samples I have arrayed. I guess I should clarify. The maple trim will be finished with a poly, but it won't be stained. So, it will maintain the same light look like the kids' blocks. Ceilings are sheetrocked and a little bit higher than 7'. Walls are all sheetrocked to be painted, but we do have 4 or 5 of the big original support posts that we have left exposed as decorative elements. They are rustic looking and will have a satin poly on them. My main level floor is reddish/orange stained quarter sawn oak trim--Prairie style/Craftsman house from 100 years ago. Upstairs bedroom level is white painted trim. The basement is completely separated from the rest of the house so there are no overlapping visuals. It will be fairly open but have distinct spaces for different uses. One will be tv watching, and that open is open to an area which will rarely be used as a guest bedroom so will have a daybed with a couchy look and be furnished as living space rather than as a bedroom. These two rooms are separated by a 6' set of pocket doors that will be open unless someone is actually using the room as a bedroom. The other main area in the basement is not walled off but is separated by some closets and a bit of a hall so as to make it a separate area. This will have a desk, table for projects, a couple comfy chairs etc. The floor will also continue into my laundry area which is around a corner so visually separated but not walled off. We want a basement that is not gloomy so put in lots of dimmable recessed ceiling lights. I also have a few wall sconces, and the bedroom and desk rooms have a centered overhead fixture too. Other than that it will be lamps. Thanks all.
  • dsimber thanked groveraxle
  • dsimber

You’re back, grover! I love that you can show me your ideas! I like the second one which adds contrast, lifts the eye, and brings more plants into the room. This idea adds depth that is perhaps needed in that corner.

I’d like your feedback on a couple of things.

1) Do you think that the four ottomans work in this small room, or would a more open and airy coffee table be preferable?

2) Would they still work in the new arrangement, upthread? (I need to make a good floor plan. Right now, I’m not up to that, physically.)

2) Given my decision to add accents in reds and rusts, would they still work if the tops were in a cognac or saddle faux suede?

3) How can the off-white color be incorporated with the reds and rusts in this room where the dominant colors are taupe and black?

3) Does it make sense to use the off-white of the area rug for the panels? How do I make sure they do not look dirty, a concern expressed by one contributor?

Thank you to grover and anyone else who would be so kind as to weigh in on these decisions!

RL Relocation LLC

OMG we are back to this house! Wow, what a flash back. If you want to detract from the dark corner, my question is why the black console?

What about a really cool Calder-esque mobile?

dsimber thanked HU-75440551
  • tartanmeup

I would prefer a more open and airy coffee table but understand the appeal of four ottomans that you can break up and use for alternative seating.

2) Would they still work in the new arrangement, upthread? A floor plan may be heeded to make the decision.

A floor plan is always a good idea.

Off-white goes very well with warm colours such as reds and rusts so not sure what the worry is. Taupe and black are neutrals as well.

4) Does it make sense to use the off-white of the area rug for the panels? How do I make sure they do not look dirty, a concern expressed by one contributor?

Yes, off-white panels make sense. What type of budget do you have for the window treatments? (Sometimes store bought solutions don't work in a space and you need to go the custom route.) Do you mean look dirty next to another similar colour nearby? Or do you have a maintenance worry such as pets?

dsimber thanked tartanmeup
  • dsimber

Thank you, tartanmeup. No pet worries. Another contributor expressed concern about off-white looking dirty. I have seen that in some off-white fabrics and assume it is a gray tone that needs to be avoided. What undertones do you see in the room currently? How would you choose the fabric and color for panels in this room?

Re: my other color question, I’ll try to be more specific. I want the end result to be as cohesive as possible. Will the off-whites in the floors, area rug, and drapery panels be the backdrop for the other colors? Perhaps I am hung up on pulling together all the colors in the room. In the photos where I have used throws and pillows I already have, I did not include off-white.

• tartanmeup

How would you choose the fabric and color for panels in this room? In person, making sure there is a good return policy if you don't like it once home. :)

Considering all the colours is a good idea but don't get so hung up on it that everything is matchy-matchy. The touches of off-white throughout the room is your backdrop. Looking at this picture:

I would suggest introducing a second accent colour along with rust and brick (is the throw brick red or bright red?). A muted yellow or green would make sense. Think of fall leaves colours. Was there talk to find another piece of art to replace the Ansel Adams print? I'd be tempted to start there and use the art as inspiration for pillows.

I'd opt for throw pillows with a pattern with a couple or a few colours. These are different styles but gives an idea of pattern and colour mix:

Etsy and Wayfair have fun options. If you have a Pier 1 near you, that can be a good source.

dsimber thanked tartanmeup
  • dsimber

I might like that last pattern, tartanmeup.

The throw on the sofa is cranberry which is one of the colors in the paisley print. I love that paisley but it is worn and no longer available. With the exception of the rust satin pillow, those red and rust accessories are placeholders until I find ones I like better.

Perhaps the first decision re: these accessories is best answered by deciding on the color of a sheepskin pillow to soften the tweed on the sofa. It could be black for balance in the room, or it could be off-white. Other textures I’m considering are velvet, fine woolens, and faux fur. I want at least two throws in the room; lumbar pillows on the chairs; and three to four pillows in at least two sizes on the sofa.

You asked about budget relative to ready-made vs. custom treatments. My reluctance to go custom is that this is a temporary home. I could move in six months...or two years. Logic tells me not to spend too much on them. To be honest, my heart and gut tell me to do what will make me feel really good in this space. I want the window treatments to be perfect. Hmmm. That sounds custom. Do I need to hire a designer? My hesitancy is that I have not found one here who seems to listen well.

Obviously, I do not make decisions easily. Planning the textile accessories all at one time seems wise. Your suggestions will help me choose what feels right for me, just as all the feedback helped me decide on grover’s wall planters when I thought I wanted art over the tv! (btw-- Where might I find them?)

• tartanmeup

I replied too quickly! :) After reading your edited comment, here's what I can add:

Window treatments can be difficult to get right with ready made solutions, especially when you have large windows. (I am not a drapery expert, just sharing my experience.) I would not want to spend much on window treatments in a temporary home either so obviously, I would research ready made options first. The tricky part is not usually the curtains; it's the hardware.

Textures. Yes, keep those in mind for they often telegraph style. If you're going for a casual vibe, satin would probably feel out of place. Sheepskin or wool would work. Shop for pillows at stores with easy return policies. You bring them home, arrange them and decide if you like them. That's the fun tweaking part of furnishing a room. :)

As for offsetting the black chairs, I wouldn't worry too much about that. You have your TV and other black touches in the room. You'll have colourful pillows on your chairs to tone down the black.

You mentioned "perfect". Don't strive for that. It's exhausting. Strive for creating a room that functions for your needs and makes you feel good. Does that really need to be "perfect"? :)

dsimber thanked tartanmeup
  • dsimber

I agree. I don’t want match-matchy. I thought I was avoiding that by choosing rusts and reds. Your mention of brick reminds me of an area rug I once had in a formal living room. It was mostly navy with a pattern that resembled Tiffany glass and included brick, gold, sage, and cream. My idea of “matching” that was with a poppy red sofa. I loved that room!

Introducing another color may be limited by a rather large, abstract painting I have in the dining area. It could be moved to the current location of the Ansel Adams, but that will depend on how much room is left after the window treatments are installed.

dining area · More Info

It’s not that I want to bring that color in; I would prefer to have the art stand on its own. But I don’t want to fight it, either.

• lindahambleton

I think I would ditch the “placeholders” and start bringing in things from stores with good return policies. I would take down the placeholding art and put up what will go there

dsimber thanked lindahambleton
  • dsimber

tartanmeup: I missed your last post until now. I think we might both be making entries at the same time. So glad you are here!

You’re right. Satin is not at all what I want. I don’t know why I’ve always thought of this PB pillow as a quilted satin. It has no sheen. It looks more like raw silk. I’ve had two of these pillows for years; I don’t think PB still sells them. It is just the right color of rust, similar to some of my favorite accessories, so I want to use one. This also looks well with fine woven wool or cotton velvet.

As to your note about the window treatments that I want to be “perfect,” I was being honest. I am cursed with perfectionism which leads to procrastination. That explains a lot.

I want these to hang straight. Really straight.

• dsimber

I do not want to lose the discussion that is going on, but I want to insert a photo of what I tried, based on an exchange here yesterday.

This is what it might look like if I were to have a piece of marble cut for the top off this BDI corner media cabinet. [The cabinet is wood, but the top is glass.] The goal is to break up the black. Yes, I chose the wrong color of cabinet. I won’t go into details again, but I want to try solutions before going to the extreme of having it refinished.

Reminder: Instead of a print on the left, I think I’ll put light-colored planters, thanks to grover. Scroll up if you want to see her idea.

Apartment · More Info

• btydrvn

How about carved screens for behind the tv?..this adds a little more detail,architecturally...some texture...and a touch of unexpected interest..while adding some weight to the smallish space and the largish tv

dsimber thanked btydrvn
  • dsimber

btydrvn--I saw a screen behind a tv on a flat wall earlier today on Houzz. Maybe I should put a screen in front of this!

• dsimber

Or move it to a bedroom. I’m not liking it. If I were to have it painted or refinished, what would be a good choice? I don’t have any other wood in the room right now, but there is dark cherry in the next room.

• 7854so

IMO it look great! I love the BDI cabinet (not cheap) I wouldn’t paint or alter it. Just curious, if renting, how long do you plan to stay? I’ve been guilty of being OCD over design while renting and after buying my house I started all over with a lot of items. Your place looks great! I think you’re being to hard on yourself. Xoxo

dsimber thanked 7854so
  • dsimber

7854so

Your encouragement is an unexpected lift, and just what the doctor ordered! Thank you. I played around a little tonight and am feeling better about this. The black chairs do not seem as heavy with more space and a bigger table with a white top between them. At least, I think that is why. [I know the photos are not aligned; I just needed to get a feel for this. It’s a process.]

Apartment · More Info

Apartment · More Info

• tartanmeup

Did I imagine you sharing pictures of the blue you love? Why aren't you introducing blues here rather than rusts if you love blue? You also mentioned that you don't watch TV here often, if memory serves. Then maybe you should move it to the bedroom if you can't make it work to your satisfaction in this room. To be clear, I wouldn't because I hate TVs in bedrooms and don't think your unit looks bad here at all. I'm just saying it's your room and your choice to arrange it how it pleases you. Your idea of a marble piece atop the unit is a good one. Now, in the second to last picture just above here, with the two art pieces above your TV, do you see how there isn't much room for a curtain panel? That's the kind of thing I wondered when I asked if you had enough room for panels. I don't know how far you'd have to move the TV unit forward. Any local window treatment place you can call for a free in-house consultation?

As for perfectionism leading to procrastination, I can relate. We have to remember though: perfectionism is a form of self-flagellation. It stops us from living.

I like the most recent pics you shared because it shows you're trying different things. Just remember that this is your living room and living isn't about having things just so. It's about doing and feeling. Arrange your space to serve your purposes and please your senses.

dsimber thanked tartanmeup
  • dsimber

tartanmeup

I appreciate your support. You’re observant! I thought too much info was distracting, and may discourage some from reading (!) so I deleted some of my posts, including "Blues of Nice.” [Those can still be seen in my Ideabooks.] I did put out some blue pottery pieces today; I’ll see if it feels right over the next few days. Preferring a neutral room makes color in my own space hard for me. I have collected objects--especially pottery--made by artists I know. These are pieces I find truly beautiful, and I’m trying to work them into my decor. It’s a challenge to do that in a smaller space. Yet this is quite roomy for an apartment. 1440 sq. ft.

7854so

It is because I am renting that this is so hard. I sold my house, and this is temporary while I decide if I want to relocate before buying again. I thought I would be here for a year. My lease now goes through July, and I will have been here for three years! Who knows? I may be here for a fourth! I’m not sure I’ve shared this. I’m recently home a lot more due to health issues; that is the catalyst for making this space a more pleasing environment! I’m here on Houzz for help in determining what that might look like for me.

I like getting ideas from everyone here, but as you can see, there are a lot of different opinions. That’s okay! It opens me to new possibilities and helps me decide what I like and don’t like. Right now, I’m on the fence about the window treatments. The only reason I have been considering the panels is that I don’t like the color of the blinds. Or the trim. I don’t really like drapes, yet they seem like the only option I have here. How long do I need to be here to make that investment worthwhile when they will not work in my next home?

Then again, I invested plenty in the corner media cabinet and don’t know that I will ever again need one. I’ve learned that furniture from one home often doesn’t work in the next because of scale or color or style. I’ve decided that I will do what I can to make this look and feel the best that I can. When I move, I will only take what I love.

Someone previously commented on what I called “placeholders.” I’m happiest with things that I really love. For me, that takes time. Even for pillows, I haven’t seen any I love. That’s why I’m still searching...and researching. I enjoy looking at Houzz and design magazines. I find that for me, rushing does not produce good results. But I'll know it when I see it! :-)

• groveraxle

Full, not skimpy, natural linen curtains are all these windows need.

dsimber thanked groveraxle
  • dsimber

Thank you, goveraxle! They look so nice in your mockups! They add a much more cozy and finished feel to the room. Consultation scheduled. But wait. What about the comment about how far I would have to pull out the media cabinet? Can’t imagine that would look good. Maybe the consultant can help me with that.

• groveraxle

You can pull the media cabinet out and perhaps shift it a bit to the left. You'll have to experiment a bit to get the right balance. With curtains on that window, I would not put anything on the window wall.

dsimber thanked groveraxle
  • dsimber thanked groveraxle
  • dsimber

That looks really good to me, groveraxle. I love the softness this adds. Thank you so much for helping me to reach this decision; I don’t think I could have done it without your contributions.

I have a designer from PB coming to measure in about 20 minutes! If you or anyone else cares to weigh in on the color or hanging style, now would be the time :-)

Happy Thanksgiving!

• groveraxle

I'll weigh in on the curtains: Light neutral fabric with a bit of texture. Look at the swatches next to your wall. And any top treatment except rod pocket because they don't drape nicely, they always end up looking scrunchy. Finally, enough width so they don't look skimpy.

dsimber thanked groveraxle
  • dsimber

Recommended by PB designer: Emery linen pole top drape in ivory (cotton lining) and antique bronze hardware. 50” panels on each side in length of 108” which puts them above windows but not all the way to the ceiling. She said they will not look skimpy.

Apartment · More Info

With or without rings? Should I consider rod all the way across even though I do not plan to close them? or short stationary rods?

• tartanmeup

Rings make the curtains easier to move. If not rings, how was she proposing to hang them? Or did you mean the second ring we see in the picture you shared? Can't say I've seen that before. Not a fan. I'm not a drapery expert though so take my opinion for what it's worth. I would want the rod all the way across. Did she tell tell you the price difference between the two options?

dsimber thanked tartanmeup
  • dsimber

Thanks for the feedback, tartanmeup. Only shown in white, they’re back tabs. This would be the style I would use; the soft pleats are uniform and would give me that clean, very straight look. I don’t plan on closing these, so I don’t need the ease of rings. As for puddling on the floor: no. I’d like them to stop just barely above the floor.

Designer did not suggest the shorter stationary rods; I had seen them in photos and wondered. I like that the rods have the option of using an end cap so no finial--cleaner look (below.)

Thoughts?

• dsimber

Happy Thanksgiving! While most of you are cooking today, I am still playing. (Our family dinner will be on Saturday.) I took this photo last evening when the light was just right for leaving the blinds open, allowing me to get a shot without the room looking too dark.

Apartment · More Info

And here’s a shot of the tv console moved to the left to allow room for the drapery panel on the right.

Apartment · More Info

I’m looking for wall planters to replace the print, and I want to have a grouping of maybe three to five plants along the wall where I put one small table with a plant for now. I think plants on the wall and to the right of the media cabinet will bring some life to that black hole. I’d like the containers to be somewhat sophisticated, so probably not baskets. I like the polished nickel as contrast, but is the table too big? (It was pulled out in this photo while we were moving the media cabinet.)

Another idea that occurred to me for the wall is a "living wall.” Too much? Has anyone had experience with those?

Pics and sources would be helpful. Or sketches.

• groveraxle

Shop Studio 350 Contemporary Style Large Round Indoor/Outdoor Metallic Gold Meta · More Info

Ceramic Wallscape Planters | west elm · More Info

Braza Wall Planters | DIG Gardens · More Info

dsimber thanked groveraxle
  • Pamela Hardy

I have those PB panels in ivory and the rod with the end cap in my living room. I really like the slight texture of the panels. I used the back tab for hanging and it works beautifully. I also like the end cap option as it doesn't distract and the panels are the focal point. I've been so pleased with the quality of those panels that I have used them in two bedroom in other colors.

dsimber thanked Pamela Hardy
  • dsimber

groveraxle: It was generous of you to take time to show me different finishes. I think I’ll choose the white. As for containers on stands or tables, it seems white would be best also...for continuity. Maybe the only contrast needed is the different textures and leaf size of the plants. Would you choose different colors of metal for tables/stands? I’ve been looking at a lot of pics, but haven’t yet landed on anything. I can probably play at the nursery. Or should I be using faux plants, at least in the wall planters?

Pamela: Thanks for sharing your good experience. I’m glad you like them. Do you leave yours as side panels or do you open and close them? Have you had to deal with wrinkles? And if so, how? [I have not had draperies for decades.]

• dsimber

abbreviated version...

• How do I use the area on the left end of the sofa (where print is hanging) to best advantage? The table and lamp were here until I moved them between the two chairs. The table is much more effective between the two chairs; although it put light where needed, it was too low for the sofa arm.

Apartment · More Info

I definitely need more ambient light.

Apartment · More Info

One person suggested the lamp below to coordinate with the other black lamp. This lamp is 67” high. (Ceilings are 10’ and drapes will be 108” [I would try to find one similar to this, as this one has French wiring.]

Or do I put a table and lamp on the end of the sofa? a table the same height as the sofa arm? Since I plan on replacing the coffee table, should I mix or match the table styles?

Do I need to (re) introduce some cherry wood to tie in with the dining area furnishings?

I want eclectic finishes but how do I pull it all together?

mixing woods...

• cherry table and sideboard (casual cab-style chairs in gray leather instead of more wood)
    • family area: black-stained ash media cabinet
    • black console in entry (but this may change)

mixing metals...

• polished nickel (and lucite) chairs, at the island, a few feet behind the sofa
    • polished nickel magazine holder that I love--looks like a piece of art to me.
    • brushed nickel arch lamp in the dining area
    • (stainless steel appliances in kitchen)
    • oil rubbed bronze on the two pull-up ottomans
    • oil-rubbed bronze hardware for window treatments (ordered)
    • “gold-leaf” table base topped with honed marble tiles in 2” widths--mostly light grays
  • dsimber

deleted ideas...groveraxle got me back on track!

• Pamela Hardy

Regarding the PB panels, we live in a wooded area so there's no need to close. If you did need to close them they will slide just fine using the back tabs. The material is substantial enough that they hang beautifully with no wrinkles or issues. I've been very pleased.

dsimber thanked Pamela Hardy
  • dsimber

Great windows! Great view! This is the first time I’ve not had a view of the woods. I will look for that again in my next home.

Please, if you have the time and if my style and yours are at all alike, I encourage you--beg you--to share more photos and/or comment on the ideas I’ve posted today. I need feedback to get a sense of direction.

• dsimber

Calling all contributors! tartanmeup, yayagal, groveraxle, orangecamera, Flo Mangan, katinparadise, celerygirl [I read that if I mention name, you will be notified...is that true?] Please see today's questions I’ve posed. You’ve helped me immensely in the past, and I feel like I’m on a roll! Just retired, so highly motivated to make this feel extra cozy for the winter.

• groveraxle

Nothing in front of the window.

dsimber thanked groveraxle
  • groveraxle

A console table will overpower the space. If you get a coffee table and want to put the ottomans there, then don't put anything on them. I also wouldn't put an end table left of the couch just to take up space. If you need more light, put a floor lamp there. Or, you could put a narrow table behind the sofa with two lamps.

Your original inspiration was minimalist; don't go to the other extreme and add a bunch of clutter.

dsimber thanked groveraxle
  • dsimber thanked groveraxle
  • dsimber

Wow, groveraxle. I like both photos, above. Thank you for helping me stay with my more minimalist vision. On that note, I’m quite certain that a sofa table would clutter the space between the sofa and the island where I have lucite chairs. I would so love not to look at the back of the sofa, but there would barely be room to walk.

I like the tripod lamp, also. I’ve seen similar lamps in various heights. How do I determine the appropriate height for this area? One contributor said I needed a floor lamp that reaches into the upper third of the space. Is that a concern now that there will be the ivory linen panels and bronze hardware in that space?

Should I keep looking for artwork, or would it be less than a good look to have a floor lamp in front of it? If that is the case, would the floor lamp work on the other end of the sofa? Or would that be too close to the arched lamp over the dining table? I can hear it now. This is why I need a floor plan. I’m sorry, but that is a more physical task than I can handle right now. The best I can do is show you the one from the apartment office that has no measurements on it. And photos.

Or I could go back to the original placement of the chairs with the floor lamp in the far corner of the room, between the south windows and the west windows. Can that same table, the square one with the white-to-gray honed marble tile top, be kept between the chairs without a lamp on it? I can use that lamp on the sideboard or the entry console.

So many questions. Around and around I go. Thank you to those who can deal with my “circles.” If you can’t, I understand.

• groveraxle

You can put a floor lamp in front of art. There is no floor lamp that would reach into the upper third of the space and if it did, it would be useless. Here's a useful diagram showing how tall lamps should be (though for floor lamps, I'd say you can go to 6' or so).

The original floor lamp you had, the one with three lights, was too short and too wimpy.

dsimber thanked groveraxle
  • dsimber

It was so expensive, but I fell in love with it at the store and had to have it, along with the two marble based table lamps. Would have been helpful if lighting designers there had just said, “No.” Hope to use it elsewhere. Someday.

I’ve been reading about scale but have a lot to learn. Your diagrams are helpful. Thank you. I actually like rules. I can learn from them, then take a little license.

I need to visualize a lamp in front of the art, so I’ve spent hours online. Sadly, it’s so much easier than going out to galleries. What do you think of this artwork? Is it too dark for my room? And would you recommend a wood or metal tripod floor lamp in front of it? I’m trying to find something vertical that can be a focal point. I can order this in 30” x 60” or 36” x 72” for that wall and still have room for the drapery panel.

source: https://osnatfineart.com/painting/5784-fall-into-time

• groveraxle

Tape out the sizes with painters tape before you buy the piece. Make sure it has plenty of room to breathe after the curtains are hung. The only thing worse than a piece that's too small is one that's too large for its space.

As for the art work you choose, if it's something you love and want to look at every day, it will work in your room.

dsimber thanked groveraxle
  • dsimber

Yes. I need to take my time in deciding on art. And I have time because I must wait for window treatment delivery and installation. Thanks for the tips on taping out the size. Right now, the Christmas tree is in that space, so I’m getting ahead of myself.

• dsimber

In looking for bookcases and shelving for a different area, I came upon these and wondered about having them above the corner tv media cabinet. They would add depth like the planters but give more flexibility for decorating. What do you think?

source: potterybarn.com

• dsimber

While waiting for window treatments to be delivered and installed, I keep working on finding solutions. Posted above, searching for lamp, wall art.

Here, looking for a way to use my Ferri ottomans as part of a grouping...

This online photo shows EA Beacon 44" square coffee table with two ottomans that are different than mine. Can anyone see this working with my Ferri ottomans? Or would that be too many legs?

source: ethanallen.com