Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dsimber

Wanted! Good eye for corner art! Mockup skills a bonus!

dsimber
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

This Houzz photo has been stuck in my mind. I love the way the prints balance the corner TV and console. Is the light fixture part of that balance?

Apartment · More Info

And here is a photo of my corner, just waiting to be finished.

corner vignette · More Info

My main objective is to pull the attention up and away from the tv and console and put it on the art. Do you have an opinion on how best to achieve this goal?

I’m interested in learning what would work best and why. But the real test is seeing it, so if you have the skills to provide mockups, maybe we can have some fun!

I’d also be interested in how I might raise the tv a little higher above the console, as in the Houzz photo.

Confession: This is a small project that is part of a larger one, posted elsewhere on Houzz. [If this is one of your pet peeves, then, by all means, just go on to the next dilemma.] If you have some thoughts and ideas specific to helping me add to this corner, I’d love to hear them! If, in order to help, you need photos of the rest of this open plan, I can certainly provide them here. I actually did quite a switcheroo today, so it is coming together, and I feel excited!

Comments (12K)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    11 months ago

This is the scoop on the drum shade. Bottom line: I think it is too tall for your ceiling height. It is 33.5” high. That only leaves 6’ Approx below it’s bottom so I have to rule it out. But something similar can work but with drum the height needs to be around 24-28” and width around 30-33” so it doesn’t consume too much “visual” space.

dsimber thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    11 months ago

I also checked the smaller sizes of this one (Hinkley Hampton) but the height does change but an inch or two only the width of the drum. Boohoo! The hunt continues. Having gang over for BBQ and all the fixins on Sunday. That’s about it here.

• dsimber
    Original Author
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

Boo hoo is right. 😢 I ilked that so much! That looks sooo nice. Thank you for taking the time for another mockup. 🙏 🥰

• liasch
    11 months ago

Well I like the look of the drum shade in the living room. I’m just uncertain about two eye-catching ceiling fixtures. But maybe if the one in the dining room is very simple it could work? I’m far from a lighting expert here.

• lolainlasvegas
    11 months ago

I am sorry that one doesnt work but I like the way it looks in the room.

I am curious, Flo, how you feel about the drum shades?

• dsimber
    Original Author
    11 months ago

This one is still in my "saved" folder. You had shared this from Houzz, Flo. I noticed, though, that the little bit of trim is nickel/silver rather than brass/gold. Does that matter? Other options, as I recall., one of which might have been all black.

I might actually prefer this style because it is less similar to the one I like for the entry. I think, though, it was only 24". What do you think of the bulbs I will call "little tube bulbs?" Do you like this one for the dining area? I'm not sure...I might like the sharper angles I see in the others. However, my guess it may be easier to see through to the art with this linear style over the round?

• hazwe
    11 months ago

As if selecting the right light fixture isn't difficult enough, then comes the right bulbs and switches. I am no expert in electric, but from what I read, you need an LED light fixture that's dimmable, a dimmable LED compatible switch, and LED dimmable light bulb to make it all dimmable.

HD Philips canrabracandleabra light bulb options:

Not to mention watts, lumens, color (daylight, etc)

dsimber thanked hazwe
  • hazwe
    11 months ago

My understanding has been that "energy used" is how to determine wattage allowed by a fixture, but the PB website (that linear fixture and the separate bulb) only reference equivalency.

HD Philips 60 watt equiv candleabra nergy used is 4 watts. .

dsimber thanked hazwe
  • hazwe
    11 months ago

So 4 bulbs equals equiv of 240 watts but energy used is 4 x 4 = 16 watts.

Good that you will be going to an actual lighting store. That should help a lot. Hope you can do some business with them because all the lighting stores within 100 miles of me have closed.

dsimber thanked hazwe
  • glschisler
    11 months ago

I really like that option too dsimber! I hope you can find them in stock!🥰

dsimber thanked glschisler
  • dsimber
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Thanks Glassy!

@hazwe I appreciate all of that info. I am fortunate to have good access to lighting stores. I may even look when I'm in NW Iowa where I will have hours each day to fill each day for the next week. I wouldn't make purchases there, I don't think, as that is five hours away.

Thanks for watching out for me.

Flo, as I recall, you recently wrote somewhere that you do not like LED?

• hazwe
    11 months ago

The fixture you like with the little "tube bulbs" has E12 Candelabra bases, so you could use any shape with that base.

dsimber thanked hazwe
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    11 months ago

Yes, I do not like LED lighting and more and more research is emerging on some of the cons. Even the “so called warm” light LEDs just are too harsh for me. But each home is different and some might need that brighter more penetrating white. I have been thinking and I am trying some different options. The only one I am debating on right now is for the living room. The mobile style just seems too contemporary for your home in this location and is a tight fit heightwise too. Here is one I am checking on. What I don’t like is the shades are linen. So that will look too warm I think. The height is perfect at 18” but only 24” round. So still looking. This fixture is the main attraction so it has to be perfection! 🎊

• hazwe
    11 months ago

But like it or not, we're stuck in an LED world now. What are our options Flo?

• dsimber
    Original Author
    11 months ago

News on another front will make @lolainlasvegas particularly happy! I'm almost ecstatic after talking to my neighbor today! At last, I have the names of two carpenters, a painter and a handyman! They also gave me the name of local window treatment company**!

And I saw their blinds. Pretty sure I want something Flo doesn't like.* Sorry, Flo. I hit the jackpot! and I'm on Cloud Nine! I can make calls from NW Iowa next week. 'so, I'm on it, girl!

*Their zebra blinds looked beautiful and operated flawlessly.

Photo from https://www.selectblinds.com/zebra-blinds-shades/traditional-light-fi · More Info

**They have used two companies, and were so happy with the local company they worked with for the sunroom they've added. 😄

• lolainlasvegas
    11 months ago

So Good dsimber! ❤️

dsimber thanked lolainlasvegas
  • dsimber
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Thanks, Flo. Excited as I was, I came to the same conclusion about the mobile-style.

I prefer the look of the drum for the LR. And yes, we do have to get this one "just right." I already think the pendants for kitchen island and entry are just right! 😉

Thank you for continuing the search!

Enjoy your barbeque tomorrow! Tonight I'm going out for barbeque with YS and his inlaws. The weather is perfect and it will be a fun evening.

• Alice Edwards
    11 months ago

Becoming very popular Dsimber. When your shopping for those they come under another category of banded as well. That may broaden your selection of collections.

dsimber thanked Alice Edwards
  • printesa
    11 months ago

dsimber, those shades look really nice. I will look at them as well to see if they would work for my windows..I need something for privacy

dsimber thanked printesa
  • dsimber
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Thanks, @Alice Edwards. I like the "banded" term.

@printesa That was a screenshot I grabbed from some random website. I wish I had taken a photo of the neighbors' shades and could show you, but I feel that would have been a bit invasive. I don't yet know what brand was used, but I was so impressed that I want to use the same. I will post it here once I know. I've been burned too many times on home improvement projects to be as trusting as I once was. Being burned once was bad enough, but it has happened several times even though I was sure I had done my due diligence. This has held me back for too long in this home. I can't tell you just how relieved I feel. 🤗

• Alice Edwards
    11 months ago

I’m so happy you found shades that can be pleasing to you. They will come in sheer, light filtering and room darkening. And i believe a motorized can work with them as well. Not super heavy for a motor in the head rail. And i’m not just pushing Lowe’s, lol. Maybe a few years ago they came out? Roller shades.

• dsimber
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Alice, I first saw those at a home show over ten years ago, and I was fascinated. I remember them being an interesting texture in a soft tan (?) color. I'm still going to have to make a choice! 😩 but I feel confident that even with white, I'll be happy. I still want to add a white linen drape to the outside of each LR window for a softening effect, so maybe not white shades??? It will be fun to see the choices. I hope I do not have to wait months. I'm so ready for these! and I think I would like to use them in every room. Maybe not, once I see the price. 😳

• Alice Edwards
    11 months ago

Oh, that long ago! I guess we were just getting caught up to everyone els then, lol. Your vision sounds just beautiful ! And before i forget, i wanted to wish you safe travels to your mom’s and sending you both good vibes on your stay!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    11 months ago

That’s great news dsimber! I love finding local businesses and find they try hard to please. Hunter Douglas introduced this type blind about 10 years ago and they have been copied by several firms. I have been searching off and on all day for a perfect living room fixture, but no luck yet. We are having family over tomorrow so I will be busy cooking etc. But in any spare moment I will keep looking!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    11 months ago

Me too (what Alice said!!). Be safe and hope you can enjoy and get sone shopping done too. You are on a roll!!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    11 months ago

Just found this. I don’t think you will like, but I think it ties dining and pendants together and is pretty too! Perfect size. Great price too.

• dsimber
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Alice and Flo, thank you for your kind wishes.

btw--I was listening to NPR today, and heard a safety message about using grills. Adding that to my wishes for safe travels for all this holiday weekend!

Flo, I certainly appreciate that you are searching, but girl! Take a break! It's a holiday! 🥰

P.S. You're right. I don't like that light. I had seen and liked a similar one, but your mockup helped me see that it looks very cluttered...to me. I'm sticking with my wish for a drum shade. 😉 Thanks again for yet another mockup!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    11 months ago

Ok. Drum it is. We can find that. No big problem. See you are in my head now. But tomorrow is here and I better get to bed!!

• lolainlasvegas
    11 months ago

Just saw this. The blinds were shown to me as Silouette I think.. I was almost going to suggest them to you but you have been very set on texture. They are beautiful I think. Either way, you cant go wrong❤️

• lolainlasvegas
    11 months ago

Love the Drum!

• dsimber
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Lola, I think you were the one to encourage me to look again at chandeliers with drum shades. Thank you! It doesn't pop against a white fireplace the way the black chandiler did, but I find it aesthetically pleasing. I think it is the answer to the concerns Lia expressed. Am I right, @liasch?

Shoot, Flo. I like the third one! Bigger and lower! I know. Too low. If the room were larger, I would just put a big coffee table below it so no one could hit his head!

• dsimber
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Lola, I remember the Silhouettes now that you mentioned them. Hunter Douglas. My neighbor in MD had them. She had them in her LR but white wood blinds in the other rooms. I had white wood blinds throughout. All along, I've been wanting them here, too, but I couldn't have the stack due to the fact that I'm dealing with a slider rather than French doors. These are a good alternative, and I think they will add a level of sophistication.

Oh! Also, these have options with texture, too.

btw--I think it makes sense to start with the shades alone. Then I can decide if I need the drapes.

• Parker Murphy
    11 months ago

I can't tell you how happy I am that you found the blinds you love and local people who have been recommended to do work around your home. I can hear the joy in your voice. It is wonderful to "hear"!!

dsimber thanked Parker Murphy
  • Theresa Janssen
    11 months ago

Lots happening while I've been away.   I've been searching for more lighting...  drum shade comes in two sizes...36in and 48in.  the size of the first three options in the third pic would dictate they would need to go in living room, too wide for dining room.  4th option is 36in.

dsimber thanked Theresa Janssen
  • dsimber
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Theresa, thank you for your ongoing kindness! I have a feeling 48" would be too large? I might like this one for DR...

or possibly this one that I think you may have shared earlier... I'm not sure curves worh with the art.

I know I don't want shades in both the DR and LR. Shades in DR would block the art more, I think.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    11 months ago

The problem with going wide, is most then are too high. Watch that dimension. Safe travels. Everyone stay safe and enjoy honoring those who sacrificed everything for our freedom to live today.

• Theresa Janssen
    11 months ago

Heres the dimensions on one of them... min hanging height is 18in.  Not sure how it would show as you walk in the front door?  Thought you might like the one you mentioned.  Just sharing others because you just never know what might grab you or maybe one has just a little variation  you didn't think about?  The issue with the drum shade with the metal trunk, not sure what to call that middle metal piece, LOL, was the trunk... it was too long and I hadn't looked at the min length.  The two drum shades I just shared don't have that issue because no metal  trunk. With the 36in wide one... the drum part is 12in high.  Comes with a 6in rod so I think the min height is 18in?

• dsimber
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Theresa, my current thought is that I want a bigger contrast in shape between living and dining areas. The DR needs to be open for the art, so that leaves me wanting one simple drum shade in the LR. I had to refer to labled diagram.

I like a single column down the center better than three that form triangles, and I like it with no "guide wires." Who knows where I will finally land, though!

• dsimber
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Length of hanging in DR is important because longer will obstruct more of the art. How do we determine that? Mockups are probably the most helpful if measurements are used so scale is close.

Starting to think I should hang the art after the chandelier is installed. Seems smart.

• Alice Edwards
    11 months ago

I had a thought! Not always the most helpful but here goes. Maybe have two to three (three may be overkill?) but at least two is fairly different fixtures when you have your electrician over and hang them and see! It’s really not a big effort for them to switch out, while they are there! And cannot add a huge difference to the labor. If your like me better to be prepared the day of then to let them leave and say uh oh! Of all your similar and different thoughts, order from the companies that have more favorable return policies. Of course after you go to see some of the lighting fixtures in person.

• Alice Edwards
    11 months ago

Seeing is believing in your own space, truly.

• Theresa Janssen
    11 months ago

Great idea Alice re trying a couple options out while electrician is there.

• glschisler
    11 months ago

Safe travels dsimber! We will be thinking of you and your mom. I am so happy you found a wealth of information from your neighbors. Onward!😀

dsimber thanked glschisler
  • Theresa Janssen
    11 months ago

As for what comes first, the art or the chandelier.  Not sure, but my first thought is that the chandelier position will be based on the table, meaning the bottom part of the chandelier will only be x to y inches above the table.  Heres an article that helps explain range and how to adjust based on ceiling height...

https://www.tidbitsandtwine.com/chandelier-height-above-table/#:~:text=For a 9-foot ceiling,in proportion with the room.

• printesa
    11 months ago

Safe travels and have a wonderful time!

dsimber thanked printesa
  • dsimber
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Thank you all for kind thoughts. I arrived safely and the drive seemed shorter this time. Traffic was light.

• dsimber
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Theresa, thanks for the link. The guidelines for various measurements were consistent with those shared in dilemmas I’ve followed. 33” above table in smaller room with 9’ ceiling.

• dsimber
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Alice, your suggestion will likely lead to getting the best look. Thank you. Handyman, whom I’ll likely need to come more than once, might be able to help me with selection in advance of having electrician come.

• dsimber
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Please let me know if you can see this! I saw that some are having problems accessing it I am, also, unless I go through "Your Houzz."

• dsimber
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Due to the fact that several have notified me on others' threads that they are unable to access my dilemma, I have started a new one. "Wanted! Design guidance for projects, inside and out!" Hope to see "all y'all" there! 😉 Thinking of Seajay with a smile! 🥰

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6376821/wanted-design-guidance-for-projects-inside-and-out