shive_gw

Favorite Polychrome Daylilies of 2019

shive
last modified: November 30, 2019

Post your favorite polychrome daylilies from last season. This category should have been earlier, but I accidentally skipped it. The next category will be color changing daylilies.

Patsy Carpenter - lovely polychrome that won't multiply for me.

Kentucky Lucky

Techny Peace

Walk in the Clouds

Dance Again - Photographs rarely show it, but the midribs usually look pink.

Debra

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)

Here are a few of ours.

Lemon Fringed Pastel is a great example. It is a good grower in our garden.

I guess Belief in Vein fits into this category. It's not my favorite daylily (though it's a great garden plant) but Bob insists we are not getting rid of it.

Gaudeamus is not considered a polychrome, but in our garden it is never solid pink like the pictures show. It is doing well now that we moved it (after languishing in a different spot for several years).

Leo Bordeleau definitely has some pink tones mixed with the yellow.

Malcolm David Brooker, Sr. also has some pink tones.

Mike Longo has some orange tones.

More to come . . .

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)

I posted 6 at once--yay!

Princess of Alexandria is very hard to obtain, but in our opinion is one of the best of the Klehms.

So Beautiful to Me is a great grower.

That's all for me.

Nancy

• KarenPA_6b

Wow, that clump of Kentucky Lucky is so pretty and cheerful. I love the beautiful edge and full form of Patsy Carpenter.

A nice seedling bloomed this summer but I lost the tag. :(

A seedling from Confessions of a Hemaholic x Tet RFK seedling. The pic does not show the polychrome well.

Fringed Blessings

Fringed Blessings on a hot day.

• KarenPA_6b

My favorite of yours, Nancy are Gaudemus and So Beautiful to Me. Do you use Gaudemus in your hybridizing and does it produce great looking kids? I also love the large ruffled edge of Leo Bordeleau.

• Brad KY 6b

There are so many yellows in this category. I don't have many.

Noid. No picture shows all the subtle colors in it including a pinkish orange.

Children's Festival

Tune the Harp

VT September Star

Smoky Mt Autumn

I also think Jolyene Nichole sometimes fits this category.

Brad

• lilykate7a

There are lots of pretties in this category. I always appreciate Kentucky Lucky, Debra. Brad, Tune the Harp is lovely. Karen, your seedlings are pretty as always and Nancy, I really like So Beautiful to Me-just lovely! I had more than I thought and some polychrome that probably don’t actually fit!

Golden Globe-posted earlier but love all these colors-sorta like Smoky Mt. Autumn which did not bloom well this year.

Patsy Carpenter which Debra also posted-huge and lovely

Love these colors

• lilykate7a

A few more.

Stop the Show. Sometimes has a lot more pink.

Moonlit Gold

Willa Mae Thornton

• lilykate7a

And two more that probably don’t fit but have so many colors that every flower is different. If it is sky and sunset, there should be be lots of colors, yes?

At Sunset

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)

Kate: I really like Roy Doddle Allen. I looked it up and found out the reason why. It's a Buntyn. I don't remember ever seeing it offered anywhere. How long have you had yours and how does it do for you?..........Brad: Tune the Harp is a pretty lilac one. I hadn't thought much about Smokey Mountain Autumn until you started posting yours. I miss mine now..............Nan: You have great pie crust edges on some of yours. Always tempting me with those edges...........Debra: Dance Again in it's yellow stage is beautiful. I know you aren't into yellows but that's so nice I'd think you might change your mind..........Maryl

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

I only have a few polychrome. I haven’t been attracted to many but see a few here I wouldn’t mind adding if make some room here. I like Kate's Stop the Show, Karen' seedling, Nan's Mike Longo and Debra's Patsy Carpenter.

Green Eyed Illusion had first blooms this past season. Each day it looks a little different. I'm so glad I added this one!
    Spectral Elegance is getting acclimated here. I love the fat edge and great substance. Another bonus, it’s an early bloomer here.
    I'm wondering if my bee pollen daylily qualifies???
    Does Before qualify here???

Sherry

• Brad KY 6b

Kate. I really like Golden Globe. Great form and color. But if you look it up on garden.org, the color scheme for it varies quite a bit. Some don't look like the same flower.

Roy Doodle Allen is interesting.

Sherry, Green Eyed Illusion is very interesting, and your bee pollen daylily looks like it fits. It is pretty.

Brad

• lilykate7a

Sherry, I love the form of Spectral Elegance and Green Eyed Illusion is so pretty!

Maryl, Roy Doddle Allen was a bonus plant (twice!) from Maryott. I have had it for several years and it performs well. It sometimes gets ”lost” when I am taking pictures as it resides in a bed with some pretty spectacular friends!

Brad, I agree about Golden Globe. And I am sure you saw the picture that has the edge as pink! I have never seen that but the flowers do vary a lot. This year was the prettiest bloom year for it.

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)

Karen, I have tried using Gaudeamus but it is not a good seed setter for me. We do have a few seedlings that should bloom next season. Gaudeamus is the pollen parent and Ruffled Strawberry Parfait is the pod parent.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)

I tend to shy away from Polychromes because our heat so quickly makes them a monotone, but one I grew for years and years was one of my favorites. Were I not having to down size I'd have it back:

Frequent Comment:

Maryl

• KarenPA_6b

Kate, you have some gorgeous polychromes! My favorites of yours are Golden Globe, Roy Doddle Allen, and At Sunset. I also like the color of Marmalade Skies but not too crazy about its rough looking petals.

Sherry, your seedling is beautiful! I love its colors! Before's color and UF cascade form is really nice too!

Maryl, any daylily that can meet your substance expectation is a winner for sure! I will look into Frequent Comment.

• celeste

A HUGE snowstorm is revving up and will last until Tuesday morning....we're going to get dumped on! Since I will be stuck inside for the next couple of days, I had time to look through my photos for these.

LITTLE RAINBOW

KATE'S NOID is a polychrome in my climate

AMERICAN FREEDOM has polychrome coloring here

• celeste

SILOAM GOLDEN GATE

ANGELUS ANGEL
    BAHAMA BUTTERSCOTCH
    WALK IN THE CLOUDS, above

• celeste

TECHNY SPIDER

AMBROSIA ROWS
    GOLLIWOG, above

CAPACITY FOR WONDER

LIVE JAZZ

PRICELESS PEARL
    Sorry to post over my limit but I felt like there won't be too many entries into this category....hope no one minds.

• Brad KY 6b

I certainly don't mind Celeste. I've been short on the last several, take all mine and then some!

I love SILOAM GOLDEN GATE ! Also, AMBROSIA ROWS is very nice, the kind of double I can enjoy.

Brad

• celeste

Oh, I forgot one of my favorites! WELCOME MAT....

• KarenPA_6b

I too love Siloam Golden Gate. The sculpting is gorgeous and perfectly round form is gorgeous! I also like Live Jazz and Welcome Mat.

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

Celeste, I didn’t realize Golliwog was a polychrome from previous photos. I really like Kate's noid and Techny Spider is growing on me!

Sherry

• lilykate7a

Just to put into perspective the difference climate and soil makes (especially Celeste’s soil!), here is my noid in my garden. I think this is what Celeste thought she was getting and why she wanted it!! This was first year bloom for her and I am curious what next year’s blooms will show. I think this may be True Gertrude Demerest and this is last year’s photo-deer got all buds this year.To be honest, last year was more ivory and green throated than past years.

As you can see, only the form looks like Celeste’s

• celeste

Kate, I feel it is gorgeous BOTH looks! I did notice that the first blooms when it was cooler it had more color like in my photo, but as it got hotter the blooms looked more like your photo. It is ravishing both ways and I love it. I am also curious as to how it will look next summer. Sorry those darn deer ate yours but it shows your deer have good taste!