jim1961_gw

FALL is here! Seasonal thread part 7

Well Fall is here! A time when our roses are getting ready for there final flushes of the season!

Please post pics, good conversation, and just have fun!

Thank you all for making these seasonal threads such a success!

• sara_ann-z6bok

Lovely pictures, Trish! I’m very fond of lacy looking flowers and your hydrangea looks lacy and delicate, love the color too.

My Royal Amethyst is not always exactly that color, but it’s always lovely IMO, sultry.

My granddaughter is 21 and a few years ago she was scaring me by talking about tattoos and different piercings, so far this is all she’s done, and a small tattoo, this I can deal with!

I think she’s toned her thinking down somewhat!

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

A few pics from around my backyard today. We have been getting some cool nights in the low 40'sF and one 36F..days are in the 70'sF. Some things are still blooming, some starting to pout.

Mrs B R Cant

Bliss..looking very pink. I love this rose!

Castor Bean looking very festive

Maman Cochet CL resenting the cold nights

Blue Sky Vine..these grow 20 ft up in the trees and blue blossoms hang down on long racemes above our heads.

Royal Purple Bougainvillea

Variegated Monstera

OLLD 7/7

Angela, the same amount of dust will get into a house, it is just that carpet will absorb it so it doesn't show and also stop it floating around in air currents and breezes, but it is all still there. However often you have to clean a hard floor, applies to carpet if you want to keep the carpet in tip top condition. I get annoyed at times here when people say carpet is dirty, I couldn't live without mine but, like all flooring it has to be cleaned at least every second day with a good quality vacuum cleaner. Someone like Ez living in a really dusty climate would have to clean every day, irrespective of the surface. In fact dust and grit left in a carpet can abrade the fibres and break them, destroying the carpet. I've been involved in a few discussions here too where people complain about dirt getting trapped under the carpet and it never comes out ........... my old carpet was down for 45 years and when I took it up there was no dust or dirt under the carpet, I just had a bit of residue under the underlay which was an old fibrous type one that was the type used when I had my first carpet done and which was starting to disintegrate, but it was UNDER the underlay and not causing any problems at all and not there because of lack of cleaning.

POLL: Favorite Fall Decor?

I voted for the mums, but I also liked the outside branches brought inside. However, I thought the room was too overdone with the pumpkin light fixture and orange pillows. It bordered on too cheesy to me.

Decorative Planting for Small outdoor spaces in the cold seasons

Very good ideas for decorating one's outdoor space. Thank you so much for all the information. I am also into the same business and love to guide my clients and customers about their outdoor space decor. You can get some more information here: http://bit.ly/1m6G7Hl

Opt Out of Old Threads

If you see anything from a child, be sure and send a link to support so we can check it out. Thanks! For older threads, we will sometimes go back and see if people have made progress on their projects and have updates to share. Often, they do! I've seen some great before and afters from just asking people how things turned out, actually.
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Great pictures everyone! To have anything in bloom in December is amazing

Great advice on the whole cruise dilemma . It's funny because I asked the same question on the cruise forum and they all said to bring her

But, and it is a huge consideration , is the whole norovirus issue and babies with their hands in their mouth of the time . That would be awful to have her, or anyone getting sick

So, she is doing great with her helmet . She is sleeping really well with it.

• oursteelers 8B PNW

Sultry, you’re making me wish for spring! I ordered Bliss and Mrs BR Cant during the ARE sale and yours have made me very impatient!

• oursteelers 8B PNW

Kristine she is so dang cute!!!!

• sara_ann-z6bok

Kristine, she looks so adorable and happy! What a little sweetie!

• sara_ann-z6bok

sultry, I love your pictures! Mrs. B.R. Cant is a beauty, I hope my Bliss looks that good next year.

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

Tattoo's? lol

Here's one of my tattoos...So I'm ok with tattoos and piercings ...lol...

I respect opinions on both sides of the coin regarding tattoos and piercings...

Darling pic Kristine!

Wonderful photos everyone! Keep those uplifting pics coming! :-)

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

Jim, your tattoo reminds me of the Doc Marten boots with roses on them. Are you sure that's not a boot in your photo--haha? Diane

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

Only boot I have is my sisters memorial tattoo... Her horse riding boot and horseshoe off her horse..She owned and loved horses!

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

Hello all,

We only have one car and my wifes banned me from using it and she's not willing to take me to store, etc.

So my situation not getting any better yet...

So I had to buy a beater car to get me around... Bought a older 2003 Hyundai Elantra ...Best of all it only has 69,000 miles on it...And only cost $1100.00... Garage looked it over and its solid! Very nice car for the price!

Still keeping my head up!

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Wow RB Cant is so pretty! Hum, wonder if could find a place for her?

For those of you who love Dave Bang roses as much as I do, great news. His roses will be offered mid 2020 at K&M nursery. He has some brand new offerings that are stunning.

I guess I need more pots.

By the way, he is a really nice man. I wish him great success.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Jim, after hearing that I'm leaning toward a psychological reason for your wife's behaviour as that is just mean and illogical. However, you will love your new car. I have a Hyundai on a friend's recommendation and have been happy to finally drive a trouble-free vehicle after years of babying prima donnas. Hang in there.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

Well, Jim, your new car looks very good, and I hope it runs well. You seem to have checked it out carefully. I just don't see how your wife can "ban" you from driving a car you both own! I'm glad you're staying positive, but realistic, about this situation. That was interesting about your sister and all her riding, especially those Western style riding boots. I always thought of people in the Eastern states as riding English style (city slicker style). I guess I drive a "beater" car since it's a 2004, and I don't care at all. I just want something to get me around and is dependable. My son in law can have the Lexus. Bah. Humbug.

Trish, I'm glad to read Rosie's only on the steroids for 15 days, and is doing some cuddling--hope that continues. When I get energetic, I'm going to re-read Bryson's, From a Sunburned Country, and list all the lethal critters he mentions you Aussies are surrounded with. I'm curious about your take on them, but realize that living in Sydney is not the same as the outback. Thank you for all those luscious photos. They all looks so tropical, even the beautiful day lilies. But my favorite was the "ruffled parrot look" of Angel's Camp Tea. Not only is it gorgeous, it looks a lot like my ruffled parrot, Eglantyne. I hope your son continues to be safe.

Sultry, wow, you're pretty tropical, too, though your roses are also spectacular. Oh, the envy, it burns. I especially love the Blue Sky Vine, new to me, and one I'd love to grow. Here, it would probably make 1 foot and die over winter. Bliss is so lovely and reminds me a bit of Olivia Rose. Every time I think of castor beans, I thinking of ricin. My gardening friend here grew it for a few years. How are the little froggies?

Sara Ann, your granddaughter is lovely and looking very refined. I'm sure you're proud of her. Clare is also 21, and though she likes that, I wish she were a little girl again. I loved that time period so much-- so selfish of me. Diane

• sara_ann-z6bok

Jim, I’m glad you found a good vehicle to get around in, that is very unreasonable of her, seems like it’s all about her, so maybe it is psychological. I hate to think about anyone being stuck without transportation!

Kristine, I've already ordered way more roses than I should have, but I think I’ll have room for most of them in the ground, but I do have some extra pots too. I haven’t ordered Crimson Glory yet, but I do plan to. Mrs. BR Cant is a beauty, isn’t it, one that I like, if I was in Zone 7b or 8 I would definitely get that one.

Diane, I don’t know how I missed your comment about my granddaughter, that’s sweet of you to say that. There is a part of me that misses that adorable little girl, but realize she has to grow up. I just hope it’s as painless as possible. The best part of seeing her on Thanksgiving Day was how she lit up when she saw me!

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Sara Ann, from where are you ordering CG. I'm hoping they get it in again at Lowe's, but will order a OR if not. It's on my slowly decreasing list of 'must-haves' since I already grow the climbing sport.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Vap, I got my Crimson Glory from Burlington. It has taken right off and has had many beautiful blooms.

• sara_ann-z6bok

Vaporvac, I’ve been planning to contact Burlington, Kristine had mentioned them already. I also noticed that Hortico has it listed. Burlington is my first choice.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Ok, these are photos from Dave Bang. they are not mine but here is a small sample of his crazy cool roses.

They are available at For Love of roses now and next year at K&M nursery

kristine_legault's ideas · More Info

kristine_legault's ideas · More Info

kristine_legault's ideas · More Info

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Arent they fun!!

kristine_legault's ideas · More Info

kristine_legault's ideas · More Info

kristine_legault's ideas · More Info

kristine_legault's ideas · More Info

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Now how many pots do I need?

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Fantastic roses!!!! I was planning on Burling and will probably get a few thing only she stocks at that time. I've really been wanting Doc, Firefall and Flamingo Dancer, although the latter might be iffy in my zone.

• ac91z6

Kristine, do you know if K&M will be offering any of Dave Bang's roses own-root? I'm too cold for Fortuniana, and I've heard it doesn't take to pots well. I keep checking FLOR's website, but things are either out of stock or back-ordered. Not blaming them - the stripeys are very cool, and I bet they sell out fast.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Sounds like it could be either multi flora or own root.

• ac91z6

Thanks Kristine! I'm going to have to see if they have a newsletter or something to sign up for now!

• sara_ann-z6bok

Kristine, those are gorgeous! The last picture, the dark red one looks like velvet! I keep forgetting who is so sold on Bordeaux Cityscape, I noticed that Palatine has that one now. I know I’m going to end up placing another order with them! I’ve been so pleased with my multiflora roses!

One of my favorite Double Delight pictures, two DD’s with Drop Dead Red in the middle. Kristine, I think in your zone Double Delight will do good, personally I love it! It’s so fragrant too!

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Sara Ann, that Double Delight takes my breath away

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

There are a couple of us that like the Bordeaux cityscape. Maybe it's Diane Ella. Sarah Ann I meant to mention mrs. BR can't is well named from where I sit. She was just a puny thing at the Lexington rose gardens. Lol! :-)

• Sylvia Wendel

Kristine, about the Dave Bangs— on 11/25 I ordered three of them from FLOR.

Magical Moment - purple and lavender stripes.

Swizzle - dark pink and cream stripes, with yellow at the base of the petals.

Love & Passion - the one at the top of your post, looks like a mini Red Intuition,

MM is backordered. That rose is so new it’s not even on HMF yet.

The others I hope to have by the end of the winter. A little stripey paradise — to go with my two striped climbers, Raspberry Twirl and Flamingo Dancer.

so glad we’re getting lots of rain the last few days ...

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Sylvia, well I have your attention could you tell me if you remember if flamingo dancer is thorny. I seem to recall reading that it's not very thorny but I would like to know so when I order it I can think of a spot where to put it instead of buying it random like like I do most of my roses.

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

OK, my wife moved out today! Yes a u-haul pulled up and they packed her stuff and shes gone! :-(

Now I know what the checking account money was for...:-(

I was blind sided today! :-( And I feel awful right now!

• sara_ann-z6bok

Jim, you’ve been through such an ordeal recently and I know it’s been awful for you. All I can say now is I’m so very sorry. I can tell you are committed to your marriage and must love her very much and I know you must be heartbroken. I really do hope that soon things won’t seem so bleak, but I can’t begin to know how you must feel.

• cyndita (west coast zone 9)

Jim, I’m sorry to hear that. What a difficult thing, especially with so many unanswered questions.

i hope you can spend some time with your family & friends in the coming days & weeks - being around other people can help.

• titian1 10b Sydney

Oh Jim, I'm so sorry. It seems utterly crazy. You've been such a good husband. I hope you get some answers soon, and like cyndita, I hope you won't be alone for the next while.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

I'm so sorry to hear that Jim. I'm happy you got the car and now at least you can see your family. Hard to believe no comment about any of it.who helped her move? Do u talk to her family?

• Deborah (10a - Sunset 24)

Oh Jim. I am so sorry. Please hang in there. You have a great sense of humor, strength of character, and a good heart. So I know you will be okay -- even if it's hard at first. Praying for you. Big hug, friend.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Said it perfectly Deborah.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

Jim, So sorry you have to go through this. She didn't deserve you.

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

Thanks everyone! I only got a couple hours sleep...

• sara_ann-z6bok

So sorry, Jim. There’s nothing worse than not being able to sleep, especially when it’s difficult to put your thoughts to rest. Try to have the best day possible.

Kristine, thank you.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Oh Jim I am so sorry. I wish that she could have communicated what she was feeling. Even if she was determined to go you would not have been blindsided.

Please don't isolate yourself. Talk to friends, family, and your .pastor.

Don't be alone right now. I will be praying for you.

Sylvia, your strippy garden will be awesome! Dave has another new one on Instagram called ,Dottie that is not released yet but he says it is his favorite.

I am going to have a whole Dave section think that his roses are so fun. We can compare notes.

I

• summersrhythm_z6a

Sorry to hear that Jim. Everyone has a book in life. Since this happened on your life journey, keep your head up, life goes on, and life is priceless, there is nothing you couldn’t handle. Now you have your own car , go to local senior center to meet with other people, I am sure you’d find a lot of friends there. Friends and family will help to lift your spirit up. Keep your head up Jim!

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

Thanks everyone! I'm sorta well still numb today...My wife has to come back and get more stuff in the future. I need to contact a lawyer soon so I know what to expect....

My wife told me yesterday if I buy her a better car she would sign house over to me then do a no fault divorce. So I need to see a lawyer...

My first wife got half the value of the house etc. back in 2002..(when divorce was final) ...We bought this house together.

So I owned this house myself before I married my current wife. But her name is on the house deed. So gotta figure all that stuff out...

Thanks again everyone! Sorry but my heads messed up right now...But I will be ok!

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Jim, I'd hop on that offer. Here we have Dowager's rights so wife legally owns half the house whether or not her name is on the deed. However, get it in writing before buying her anything as I'm sure your lawyer will advise. Sorry to hear this probably isn't a temporary thing. Since I know you're a church goer, perhaps you could find some solace there today.

• Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal

Jim, So sorry life is so chaotic for you right now. Just one day at a time. Yes, talk to a good lawyer about the options. Also your gut instinct can help in negotiations, since you know her. My sister just went through a divorce and got a pretty good deal without much hassle. She knew where she could push and what would cause a court fight. Sometimes a fight is fine if the other person is trying to take it all, but if you can get close to a reasonable deal with less lawyer fees and emotional drain then better. I went through a divorce and it was rough going through it, but when I got to the other side it was a huge relief. I had such a tremendous sense of peace and optimism when it was over. Just hang in there and don’t forget to breathe.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca

Hi Jim ! I just wanted to say I am so sorry for what she is putting you through . You have been such an excellent friend here and Supportive husband that I can’t even believe what I am reading . I’ll be praying for you and I hope you find brightness in every day . We love you Jim!!!

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

Thank you everyone! So much appreciated!

My friend stopped today to pick something up and he got to close to my car with his and put giant black marks on my front side fender... So looked up on internet what to do and I used a wet rag with toothpaste and it took most of the marks off...gee!

I'm still feeling quite, quite numb yet...

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

I think that the timing stinks

• sara_ann-z6bok

You’ve all given Jim some good advice and encouraging words, I don't have anything to add. I just hope things look up for you soon, Jim!

It ended up being a nice afternoon, I wanted my 18 year old grandson Jack to move my potted roses to a more protected spot, and he was able to do it this afternoon. He’s very busy and lives a little over thirty miles away, so it has to be when he’s got the time, so glad to have it done. Afterwards he stayed for awhile and we had a nice, long visit.

Diane, I edited my post above to thank you for the sweet compliment about my granddaughter, but not sure if you saw it, somehow I had missed that post earlier.

You seem like kind of a feisty, but sweet, thoughtful lady, that’s what I like about you!

ZEPHIRINE DROUHIN