awkward corner media space - what to do here?

Christine Brown

I've got an awkwardly shaped little nook in the corner of my living room that needs some sort of redo. The TV and components will stay so I need some sort of solution that will accommodate those, and ideally would like to keep the subwoofer that's to the right of the console on the floor for sound.

Questions:

1) Would you do a couple of floating shelves here or a media unit?

2) For either one, would you do flush to the back wall (front facing), or try to get some sort of asymmetrical corner solution? The window placement really screws things up because the placement is awkward - the big window to the left of the TV overlaps with the nook so even if I did a built in I think it might look weird).

Any advice here on something that would look more polished than what I have?

RL Relocation LLC

To be honest, we almost always need to see the whole room to have an inkling of style and also maybe things you haven't thought of, lastly the flow and what will work.

• Christine Brown

Makes sense. Here are a few more photos.

We are going to be repainting at some point soon which is why the wall above the fireplace is bare (there will be artwork there not the TV)

RL Relocation LLC

What is on the wall across from the french doors? and what is to the right of the fireplace? Sorry my brian is at work, and I see lots of options so I dont want to jump the gun lol.

• njmomma

following

• Christine Brown

Here is a shot showing what is across from the French doors (kitchen area) and to the right of the fireplace.

• decoenthusiaste

Switch TV and xmas tree locations.

• Christine Brown

Interesting idea, deco! I don’t love the idea of having the couch with its back facing the fireplace though... and when there’s not a Christmas tree that little nook would still be unused and bare. Hmmm.

CDR Design, LLC

Hi. This is a tight space, with not a lot of options.

Option 1) Tv over fireplace. I rarely recommend that, but in this case, it is an option.

Option 2) Tv where you have it, but put it on a low console (not corner console) or built-in. The subwoofer is best behind the listener, so I would move that to behind the sofa. Move the sofa toward the wall to sit under the window.

Christine Brown thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • decoenthusiaste

Its a pretty small space all together. Do you have a separate dining room? Do you eat regularly at the bar? If not, consider installing TV in the peninsula where you already have electric. The concept would be something like this TV in a pony wall idea. Then you'll have room for the couch to float perp to the fireplace with its back to the doors. You may have room to add an armchair down on the xmas tree end of the room. Your coffee table is too large for the room or the couch. When you can, I'd advise downsizing both of them to be more in scale with the room. Another thought would be a shorter sofa and two swivel chairs with a smaller coffee table.

CDR Design, LLC

I am not sure what they fur thing is in front of the fireplace, but it looks like the doors are open and it is right next to the fireplace flame. Could you please remove it......fire hazard!

RL Relocation LLC

not sure why my comment didn't post

but here goes again,

switch the dining room for the living room. Do you use the dining table? if you do a smaller round top would be swell in front of the fireplace and now you can use the large wall in back to the house the tv and face the couch that way. The dresser you have in the kitchen could make a nice tv console.

Christine Brown thanked RL Relocation LLC
    RL Relocation LLC

If you dont use the dining table then you could sell it and add two chairs cozy to the fireplace. ( you can always store a folding table that could be brought out when need be...

• Christine Brown

Thanks all, yes there is a dining room table behind the couch. We don’t use it a ton (we tend to eat at the bar instead) but it was a gift so we have a hard time parting with it despite not having a ton of space for it. I do like the idea of opening things up a little bit though.

CDR Design, LLC

What do you mean by "opening things up"?

What are the dimensions of the living room?

Can you take a photo, standing at the tv and toward the Christmas tree corner?

RL Relocation LLC

deco its behind the sofa.

RL Relocation LLC

CDR that picture is posted above.

CDR Design, LLC

Would like to see the wall to the left of the Christmas tree. Thanks.

RL Relocation LLC

An unused gift although has sediment, you could sell and actually get some usable seating for the living room.... lets call it re-gifting. What's worse not parting with it because it was a gift, or not using the gift and it going to "waste"

1. you can try just flipping the spaces and putting the dining table lengthwise .. if it gets smaller than it is now, make it as small as you can.

• Christine Brown

True regarding the table RL. CDR here is the photo from the TV area facing the tree.

RL Relocation LLC

Oh its pretty small it just might work flipped... IM dying over here for you to just turn the couch around lol.

• Christine Brown

LOL ok maybe I will give it a try! What would you do with the nook in that case? Put the wine cabinet there? The tree would be fine now but for the other 11 months of the year...

• decoenthusiaste

The nook doesn't need work until you get a viable furniture arrangement done. Then we'll see... Maybe the eye needs a place to rest.

RL Relocation LLC

The fireplace is the impact point, the two windows and small area to the left really dont need anything. I would say you could even just camp one of the extra chairs on either side of the FP.

CDR Design, LLC

When arranging furniture, think "big to small". Arrange the larger pieces first. Looking ahead, though, if you are going to place your dining table there, a good idea for that spot would be a plant.

If the dining table goes in the fireplace area, one way to make your new family room area larger is to back the table up to the sofa. This would allow you to move the sofa further away from the tv, creating a larger "family room".

• fnmroberts

Here’s my solution to art in a corner - miter cut plywood and installed in the corner then mounted the art. Nothing else has worked with the lights

CDR Design, LLC

Or are you speaking of this space? Don't worry about that. 2 chairs, 2 lamps and 2 chairs. No, not the wine cabinet.

RL Relocation LLC

You have to start with trying the flip before you try to place the furniture just makes it so much easier once you see the space.

Beth H. :

why can't the tv go on this wall and the sofa against this window spot?

Where you have your tv is the absolute worst spot in the room. There is no way to make that tiny corner, under a window, work for a tv, let alone a console of any type.

if you can't move sofa, then mount the tv over the fireplace. For what you have going on right now, it's the best spot for it. (unless you can flip the sofa)

Can you stand in the kitchen and take a photo that shows the entire length of this side of the room?

• Christine Brown

Here’s that wall. Can’t move the sofa under the window because it will interfere w patio door.

CDR Design, LLC

Hi Christine. What are the dimensions of the room? Thanks.

• onetwothre

For now, just for Christmas, I'd put your tree in front of the patio door so you can enjoy it! Pull the TV stand out from that nook a little.

My AFTER Christmas permanent plan....I'd move the couch closer to the fireplace, AT LEAST 1'.

Also, there are plastic tubes that are made for holding all kind of cords... this might help to streamline your TV wires.

i would also put a mirror or artwork on the wall where the DR table is.

• Christine Brown

Thanks for all of the ideas everyone.

Overall size of the room is about 13' x 19' (not counting that little nook). And here is a screen shots with rough measurements showing where the doors are.

Beth H. :

well, that narrows things down a bit. if you can't turn your sofa vertical against the kitchen because of space, then flipping it to face the wall or the fireplace is the only other option.

I think mounting it over the FP is the best solution.

Your space could look something like this

if you had enough room to turn the sofa, you could do this layout

or, if you could build in some cabinet/shelving...

• Christine Brown

Beth H, I really like the look of those built in units. I may look into something like that and will consider the TV over the fireplace as an option as well. That seems to be a consensus and though I don't love the idea it seems like it might be an OK option.

Deco, the door actually swings inside (the left side of the door swings inward toward the living space).

• Gcubed

following

• decoenthusiaste

Your floor plan omits the windows flanking the door too. As much as most Houzzers hate it, I think they may come to terms with TV over the FP in this case. Since you prefer eating at the bar to eating at the table, you should get rid of the table so you have room to make the most of this space.

CDR Design, LLC

Here are a couple of options. I am not showing an option to place tv over fireplace. Although that was an initial thought and you can still do that, but 2 doors swinging in are an issue. Placing the tv too far forward would be a neck-cranker and back far enough to avoid the doors would be very far from the tv. So, unless you are willing to invest is quite a large tv, I think that is out.

Option 1. TV in corner next to fireplace Sofa is placed to avoid doors and is 8 feet from tv.

Option 2. TV in nook. I don't have the measurements for your sofa, but I am hoping this works. If not, you could face the sofa where the chairs are and tv on back wall.

• Christine Brown

Thanks CDR. My couch is approx 89” wide.

For option 1 with TV in the corner by fireplace (the awkwardly shaped nook) would you do a small console or built in?

For option 2 with couch flipped to where chairs are represented, I think I would have the issue with door clearance that you were noting?

CDR Design, LLC

I think a built-in or a console is fine. I think a console would likely be less expensive. Really, a built-in is going to be just the shape of a console. That is all you can fit.

As far as option 2, Yes, you would have an issue with the sofa the way I am showing or with flipping the sofa with the chairs.

Design is not always perfection and involves compromises. I suggest you might have to spend $ on something going forward

-Is that a bathroom? If so, the door must swing out. If not, can you change the swing?

-How a bout a new sofa that is more compact.?

The width of the room is a matter of math. You have 155". 155-89=66. With the current sofa, that gives you a total of 66" for door swing for both doors.

What is the total of door swing for both doors total?

• arcy_gw

I would get a larger TV stand so when kitty corner it FILLS that corner. Then your TV could be centered on the corner, that speaker put in the TV stand make it more of a statement. That would give you more balance and less awkward.

• Christine Brown

The door swing is about 34” for patio door and 31.5” for the hallway door. I could look at swinging the hall door the other way.

I’ve got enough clearance for the doors to open with the couch by the patio door.

If I did the TV above fireplace how far away would the couch need to be?

If TV next to fireplace I’m back to my initial question on what kind of unit for optimal viewing (corner or straight on) that would fit the speaker.

CDR Design, LLC

So, you do have enough room for the door clearances.

Placing the tv over the fireplace and viewing comes down to preference and you may not like it at all. It would have to be at least as far back as you have it now. The problem with it farther back is that it is getting too far away to view.. Place a poster or piece of art up there to see if you would be comfortable with it at that angle.

Please do not place the tv in the corner on an angled piece, like you have it now. It looks awkward and hodge-podge. Place it on a straight console. I would hang the tv and put it on an articulating arm, so that it can be pulled out and angled when viewing and pushed back when not viewing. Subwoofer can go underneath tv or be placed in another area of the room.

• Gcubed

If the TV is in a unit next to fireplace (stand alone or built it), hang the TV at the right height and put on an articulating arm (likely the arm will be out most of the day when you are watching, etc but then you can out it back when you have company/are entertaining).

Otherwise, they do make devices that allow your TV to be pulled down from above the fireplace for viewing. When not being watched, the TV would be "flush" against the wall above the fireplace. When you want to view it, you can pull it out AND down so it's at the correct viewing height (and your sofa won't need to be so far back).

Just some thoughts.

RL Relocation LLC

Until you flip the sofa for us to see this is all just chatter, lol. I think Im still at step one, flip the sofa and let us see.

• Christine Brown

I think this flip the room around experiment is going to have to wait until after the holidays when I can play around with it a little bit without needing things to work, and don’t have a tree to contend with as another thing to move. The cable jack is in that corner too (by the fireplace) so would have to be re wired if it ends up working design wise.

CDR Design, LLC

Okay. It would literally take a minute, using furniture sliders. This would be just to see if you like the concept. Tree can stay.

Up to you, though.

You no longer need to have a cable jack where the tv is. Can be wireless.