grannymarie

Italian-Arum (orange candleflower) as houseplant?

grannymarie

A relative brought some Italian-Alum home that she dug up on a trail. She's researching to see if it's considered invasive in Ohio since she wants to put it in her garden. It looks like a dark green variegated syngonium plant. Beautiful leaves, though the florescence apparently smell quite offensive. I am wondering if Italian-Arum can be grown as a houseplant?

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Its ephemeral. Even if it were to grow indoors, which I doubt, there's nothing to see for much of the year.

• grannymarie

Ohhhh, I see. Ok, thanks so much!

• dbarron

In some climates, it's described as the devil incarnate where any tiny section of root will become a new plant (impossible to eradicate). In mine, it grows slowly though you should remove the inflorescences, because even in mine, I've found seedlings from bird droppings at some distance.

I have a single clump, but will not allow fruiting again. It's taken several years to bulk back up after I moved (4 I'd say), so not nearly as vigorous here in the South as the PNW and probably East Coast.

• grannymarie

Thanks dbarron, good to know. This is the first time my relative stumbled across one.