linc1164

Diablo Hawk by Paul Barden! Anyone with info to share please?

Helen (bayarea_girl) brought to our attention of Rogue Valley Rose's new website (thank you Helen!). Upon browsing, I was beside myself to find some new additions under "Paul Barden Roses"! One that immediately stole my heart was Diablo Hawk, whose bloom form and color reminded me of my beloved Tuscany Superb, but with reblooming! So available space or not, I ordered it. I'm having difficulty finding much information on this rose. Searches among either Antique Rose Forum/Rose Forum came up with nothing. HMF gave some exchanges between Paul and members, but not much related to its disease resistance.

Does anyone have experience with this beautiful rose? TIA!

--Lin

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

JessicaB seemed to love it and is in Ohio, so that is something. That climate would have BS.

linc1164 (Zone 7a central NJ) thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • linc1164 (Zone 7a central NJ)

That's a great point Sheila! It completely slipped through my mind to check on the location of that one and only person who posted pics of Diablo Hawk! Vapor is from OH too, and she always says OH has high BS pressure.

The writeup on HMF says this is a vigorous rose. I sure hope I get a good specimen of it. HMF also says Paul bred this in 2006. Alas - did it really take 13 years for this rose to make it to commerce?!

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

RVRs has some new energy with Scott there now. Maybe he is performing some miracles.

• Paul Barden

"HMF also says Paul bred this in 2006. Alas - did it really take 13 years for this rose to make it to commerce?!"

Pretty much, yes. RVR has had a specimen of 'Diablo Hawk' for at least 8 years, and for whatever reason, it has not appeared in inventory till now. I can't explain that.

This variety doesn't have particularly good disease resistance in my PNW climate, but that's just one data point. Who knows what it performs like elsewhere? I've found it a modestly vigorous plant: neither extremely robust nor weak - its in the middle. YMMV of course.

linc1164 (Zone 7a central NJ) thanked Paul Barden
  • linc1164 (Zone 7a central NJ)

Hi Paul,

Thank you so much for chiming in - I was hoping to catch your attention :-)

It's really unfortunately that it took so long for Diablo Hawk to show up in RVR's inventory! I know Janet has had problems with inventory for a long time. Just this past spring when I had some issues with my order, she informed me that they were in the middle of a massive inventory confirmation project. Maybe they finally had a chance to get some muddled records straight?

I'm really excited about getting Diablo Hawk into my garden! Thank you for sharing your experience with this rose with us! I'm going to keep a close eye on it. If our BS pressure seems too severe for this young plant, I will make exception and use fungicide (hopefully not too late) until it gets more settled.

--Lin

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

I wish JessicaB still posted. I pm'ed her once and never heard back. : ((

linc1164 (Zone 7a central NJ) thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • linc1164 (Zone 7a central NJ)

Hey Vapor, I too PM'd JessicaB last night after looking through her pictures of Diablo Hawk and profile :-P ; what we rosenuts wouldn't do?! Well, I'm determined to plunge ahead and make the best out of this. You know I normally don't spray. But I will for this one if necessary.