Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anna_w100

Leaves are dark and frosty, is my succulent dying?

Anna
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

After moving it to a larger pot (the previous one was way too small) I noticed that the leaves started turning darker. Is this something I should be worried about? Also, the pot doesn’t have a drainage hole and I’m not sure if the soil is right for it.

Comments (2)

• gardengems
    4 years ago

I will start with what you don't want to hear. Buy a new pot or drill a hole in this pot. Go to the hardware store and ask for a drill bit for tiles. There are two types, make sure you know which type it is. Is it a diamond tipped that requires it to stay wet while working or a carbide bit that will not work very well if you try to keep the surface wet.

Your succulent has that natural grey (I forgot the word) film that if you touch it, it comes off. It protects the plants from getting sunburn, which is not a problem for you. It never grows back, so once it's gone it's gone. The plant will be a darker green or green/grey under that natural protective film.

If you think your leaves got darker after planting, then it probably was suffering in the previous pot and needed some fresh soil and is temporarily happy. But, it will not be happy for long, because it can't sit in water. When you water it without a hole in it, the plant will sit in water.

.One last thing. Your plant needs more sunlight. The reason it is so stretched in shape, is because it is stretching to find the sun. Best to get it by a bright indirect light. For winter any bright window will due, in summer you want very bright indirect light all day or direct sunlight from morning to mid-day, then in the shade. In the winter, you will be watering it less often. So, don't dump tons a water on the pot at once. After the hole is drilled.

You want to use a so called 'Cactus and Succulent' Potting Mix and add 30% pumice or perlite to the blend or 1/2 C&S and 1/2 pumice.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Whitish, powdery film that cover leaves of many succulents (commonly called farina) is there to protect leaves. It may not be so imprtant for plants grown indoors, but they look much better if it is not rubbed off. There is a chance that it happened while you were repotting.That may explain why leaves are darker. Make sure thou that they are not starting to rot - that is when they turn dark too. Drainage is very important and lack of it may cause rot and eventual death of plant. Pls. get a pot with drainage hole (yours seems to be also quite large - but can't really see it). Amend potting soil with perlite or pumice as suggested. I would suggets 1:1 ratio.

I agree with above poster that it is etiolated - not getting enough light. That is why leaves are so far apart, plant should be much more compact.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio