cprieur

Last home, please help me make in right!!

cprieur

Very small space, having trouble putting it together.
We are presently building a bi-generational home and based on your input, have made a few modifications to the plan. Note that not all changes reflect on the plan. Kitchen patio door changed to 5’ vs 6’ in order to leave more room for the fridge, stove has been moved over, peninsula size not exact but very close. Kitchen cabinets are shaker upper and lower, color is morning dew with a black peninsula. There will also be black glass cabinets above the peninsula. Samsung frame art TV above gas fireplace. This is not the main living room, just a sitting room.
Looking for furniture ideas, hardware colors, etc... time is running out

Those are hard to adice with no idea of your style and I can’ t read the measurements. BTW I would not put caniets above the peninsul they really cut down on the nice open fell. This is a good example of the difference without the cabinets TV above the FP is not ideal

but if you leave the cabinets off above the peninsula the bonus is you can watch TV from the kitchen

• cprieur

Patricia Colwell, our style is mor modern classic however wanted to add bit of farmhouse style. In regards to the cabinets above ninsula, they are against the wall. Total dimensions of the open floor is 25.2” x 10.5”, posting a new picture

please help me choose a right color for the house, trim and garage doord

What a handsome home. Consider a darker cream/ tan trim instead of the white trim. You will still call out the details of the trim but it will be a slightly more subtle contrast with the gold siding. I always recommend that garages are painted the same color as the main building color. You do not want to make the garage the focal point. If you want a contrasting color then use it on the front door (only) not on the trim or front door sidelights.

Not sure if this is the right front door colour for our home please help!

I forgot about the gable. I would leave the color of the garage door and paint the gable the same color. I don't think you want the gable to stand out. What you want to draw everyone's eye to is the front door. Once you've done that and the front door, you can reevaluate and repost if you're not happy. I also might be tempted to spray paint the wicker something softer than stark white - not sure - evaluate it later.

Please help me make our home prettier! shutters removed? Black clad

I am thinking we will replace the shutters with properly sized shutters for the window. I ordered new Marvin white clad windows so that should definitely help the windows inside and out. I am debating between the 3 raised panel shutters (20/40/40) or just 2 raised panel shutters (50/50) does anyone have thoughts or opinions on which would look best? Thank you again so very much for your help. With regards to toning down the super white we are planning to refinish columns and trim in Spring with a creamier white and then hopefully doing some type of detail in the middle of the large eave. Thank you again!!!!

Lagoon home! Help me make it more beautiful, please.

A year late with advice, but here it is. Looking at the four photos you showed on May 23, select the one on the lower left. The front entrance walk should begin at the street and pass right through this bed on its way to the front porch. It is the perfect view of your home, and the one you should offer your guests. Put the large evergreens or their twins back to itheir spot by the driveway, so that, when your guests are leaving, they will be looking at this handsome evergreen or a group, rather than the cars and pavement. This will also enhance the view from the living room windows for the same reason.
  • Lisa

You should put some pictures in your idea book. Otherwise, you are saying that your style is classic, modern, farmhouse.

JAN MOYER

Black glass and "farmhouse" are as far from one another as one can go : ) Kitchen door seems not to need patio doors. Windows would be sufficient and a bit less. You are losing too much wall for storage and appliances, Cabinet on a wall above a peninsula are more difficult to access, Where is the dining function?

• cprieur

I’ve included a picture of the kitchen with the peninsula and a picture of the glass cabinets that will go above.
    Jan Moyer, both patio doors will stay, one leads out to a closed porch and the other to the deck that leads to our yard. Its a 800 sq foot home, this is all that is permitted in Bi-genetation homes in my area. Luckely my son gave us 750’ sq in the basement, will will use as a family room for now.
    Classis, modern, farmhouse, I’m confused...LOL

• lyfia

What furniture are you planning for in the sitting room? It seems like putting a TV above the fireplace is going to be really hard to watch from that furniture unless you sit in the kitchen due to the size of the space and the walkway needed to get out onto the veranda. I would lay out furniture how you expect to place it in that sitting room and see if what you plan will really work as you are thinking. I might also suggest placing things in an existing home and tape off the area and place paper on the wall at a height to simulate the TV to see how it is to live with it in that way.

• lyfia

One other note. I wouldn't do the peninsula there as it is partly blocking how you have to walk to get out to the veranda. Unless you make it so that it is on wheels and you can move it around to use as an island as well. I think I would look at removing it altogether and put a small breakfast table with a couple of chairs that could be used instead and easy to move around if needed out of the way. At some point the stairs are probably not going to work too well for you.

Another note as well on the closet. The little piece at the end of the angle will likely not be able to be used for anything. Right now the area only shows things protruding about 12", whereas hanging clothes can be roughly estimated to protrude 24". So double that area that is currently drawn in and you see that area will actually be blocked by clothes at an angle.

• cprieur

lyfia, we actually have not yet purchased any furniture for this sitting area. I was thinkg of buying two stressless swivel chairs. The reason for the TV is that we like to watch while sitting at the table and sine my husband travels allot and I dont like sitting in a basement by myself. Back to the peninsula, were giving our dining room table to our son and plan on using the penisula as on daily eating area. We also have a very large table in the porch which will be used daily 3 out of 4 seasons. We have planned this very carefully, sold our house and downsized to a 2 bedroom condo 900sq feet and we love it. My son is building the house on his own therefore it may take more time to complete and he can modify as needed, like the little piece T the end of the angle. I figured I would wait until the build is complete to see what we will do with this corner. I’ve included a not so great picture of the siiting area, will give you an idea how tiny it is 12x10

• mackdolan

No one actually plans to keep on aging here? Because this is planned as though everyone will always be in perfect health and never need to sit down to prep, or use a walker.

• cprieur

Mackdolan, yep we plan on aging here. A wheelchair may be a problem but a walker would be ok. Kitchen anf sitting area are fine for elders, washer and dryer on main level, large walk in 5’ shower. Yes we may need to make modifications as we grow older, but for now at 57 were ok for now.

• auntthelma

To answer your question about furniture, I have a small living space atached to the kitchen also. Mi started with individual chairs thinking they would give me flexibility. They seemed to creat clutter in a small room. I switched to a small sofa and like it better.

I also like being able to see the tv from the kitchen.

We also have a tv room in the basement, but That’s for movies and sports. Most of my life is in my kitchen/sitting room.

• bpath reads banned books too

Is the laundry in your main entry? Where will the dryer vent to? Is that an outside wall, where the fireplace is?

• cprieur

Yes the laundry area is in the entry, vent will go out on outside wall, same wall as thr fireplace

• apple_pie_order

Have you started building already?

• cprieur

apple-pie-order, started our build a month ago

• bpath reads banned books too

With the refrigerator in the corner, the door still won’t open past 90 degrees, if that, depending on the fridge handle and the patio door trim. But with the door trim, you may not have room for a pull-out cabinet, either. You may have to just have empty space there, but you can still store broom or some such in the space.

Instead of a peninsula, I wonder if you would like a table? That way you can expand as needed, or sit at it while you watch tv. I like to do paperwork or a puzzle while I watch. Also, do you need room for a little home office, space to store paperwork? It appears you are in Canada so perhaps you won’t have the paper cascade that comes with senior health insurance, but surely you will have other records you will need to store.

Will other items, like tools, luggage, etc, be stored in other parts of your son’s house?

• cprieur

bpath reads vanned books too, the plan is to have the fridge on the corner, reason why we reduced patio door from 6’ to 5’. Prensently in our condo, fridge is in the same location however I was thinking of changing the pantry with the refrigerator. It may be a better location when going out to the porch. The closed porch 14x14 is where we will be spending allot of time. In regards to the peninsula, we can sit 2 on each side and can use as work station. We also have 750 sq feet of finished basement. One large walk in closet, office and living room area. With the main floor and basement, its almost double the size of our condo. Were also building a two car garage 25x32, we each get one side.

• lyfia

Based on this website: https://www.smartfurniture.com/products/stressless-consul-chair-medium-by-ekornes.html?preset=STCONSULCO-QS-TEAK-BATICK%20LATTE&gclid=CjwKCAiArJjvBRACEiwA-Wiqq2dLqlglBaTH1dfBpYNASoya_Ac4Vmlh32Y8mbFg4WwhvaPXC_Lk3xoCh_oQAvD_BwE

Chair dimensions: 39.25" h x 29.5" w x 28" d

This leaves you 5 ft to use for walking space etc. if you you place the chairs side by side. So if you keep 3ft at a minimum for walking you have 2 ft left over to use for a side table or walking of just spread the chairs apart a little. Not much room so try to make things do double duty.

I'm very familiar with a 12x10 space as my husband uses that for his TV room. It doesn't have room for more than his recliner and side table besides a few things on the perimeter. He does NOT have an over sized recliner. It is fairly narrow at 36" wide. It does recline so need space for that.

I think building in a peninsula will limit your arrangements and make it hard to place furniture.

Now you could change the direction of the patio door and have it open in the middle to allow a the walking path into the sitting area to double as a path to the outdoors as well.

Just showing some options here. One is to remove the peninsula and have the door there to avoid having to squish furniture to the side too.

Note my chairs are not to an exact scale either only close to the chair dimensions above.

Do you need to have a door in the kitchen as well. They are only a few feet apart except with the peninsula blocking it. You could use that space for something else too. If you choose just one door and place it well.

Small spaces are a challenge so you really need to think through how to get the most out of them and in this case you could likely pare down your doors and work out a way to not have the peninsula be blocking your use of the space.

• cprieur

Lyfia, thanks for the layouts, appreiciate. I know its really going to be small. The peninsula stays, we made a decision to get rid on the dining set and give this a try. Should it not work, we can always remove the chairs and add a small table in the sitting area. I was thinking of having two swivels chairs and I see from your layout it will be tight. I would most probably have them side by side against the railing and maybe have add a plant near the patio door. The siiting area will only be used by myself or maybe with husband having coffee. 3 out of 4 seasons we will be on the covered porch and in the winter, we will be in the basement. Thanks again for the layout, I’ll make sure to measure the stressless chairs before I purchase them. I’ve also included a photo, not a really good one of my view from both doors, reason behind the patio doors.

• lyfia

Windows will allow you to see the view too without having to have paths for the walking that doors require. Actually you could put windows and extend even further to have even more of a view. Furniture can be put in front of windows, but is odd in front of doors.

The last layout shown has the sliding door flipped so the door part is in the middle of the room which allows you to at least place furniture better to use it as a sitting room. Although your peninsula right now blocks that along with the walking path to the existing doors and leaves you with only chairs on the side by the fireplace if you are expecting seating on the sitting area side of the peninsula too.

It is your home, but I think you should consider it more. At some point you and/your husband won't be able to navigate the stairs so one of you won't be using the downstairs family room and when you don't then the other won't really be using it either, so consider these things carefully before locking yourself into a very specific design in a small space. Small spaces work much better when they have flexibility to change easily.

• cprieur

Lyfia, appreciate your comments

• new-beginning

I have 900 sq ft, I would NEVER give up my small dining table for a permanent peninsula. Make certain you have a bit of 'space' next to the fridge in order to open doors enough to pull out bins completely.

• cprieur

Maybe I’m not calling it by the proper name, would you call this a peninsula, seats 4 people

• lyfia

Yes that is a peninsula, but you will have it as a permanent part and the stools there are in the walking path of the door. You will want stools with a back and they stick out and if someone is sitting there it blocks the path.

My suggestion is the below. Buy a counter height table to use instead of spending several thousand dollars on cabinets and counters for the space. If you later decide that having a permanent one you can add that later and just use the stools from the table, and if/when someone needs a wheelchair or a walker you can move that table away and have a full open area.

Then use windows instead of the doors in the rooms themselves and have the door in the middle. In general windows are cheaper than doors anyways. This creates more space to use in the sitting area and it also gives a little walkway between the kitchen and sitting area to the outside. Less obstacles to navigate trying to bring things out for the 3 seasons you'll be eating outside.

The good part about a counter height table is you can use it as a counter too, but move it as it suits your mood and if you want more space in the kitchen you can push it against the wall on the long edge, but still have the 4 seats to stick under it.

• lyfia

Here's a sample of large windows where the furniture block a bit of the window, but it is just fine to do so.

• lyfia

Another to show a large window where you still have a great view and you're spared looking at the decking boards.

• lyfia

Oh one more note. We often sit at our peninsula to eat and I'm in a warm climate and the granite counters are very cold at all times to the touch so not as comfortable as a wood table top. It is something after 12 years that we still haven't gotten used to.

Another note on the peninsula is that it would need about 6 ft to have a cabinet and also the stools and seat 2 people comfortably along one side. You need space to the wall/cabinet or it will feel cramped on that side. We have a 7 foot peninsula and the stool nearest the wall is the least favorite spot for anyone to sit. We only have 3 stools on the long side and no cabinet. If you sit there it feels like there is not enough elbow room. A table would allow you to move it out if you have 4 people sitting there and not do it when it is only the two of you.

• cprieur

Very usefull information, will review my kitchen plan and take your comments in consideration, thanks again

• new-beginning

another good thing about the table is you could simply move it around a bit-mine has been in three different locations in the 6 mos I have lived here, just trying to decide which place works best for me.

• cprieur

If needed we will remove the chairs from sitting area and add a table