Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chika_ugorji

help with furnishing bland living room, must use some current pieces

cc646
4 years ago

I have a long living room in my 3rd floor apartment that I am struggling with decorating. The two walls are different lengths, the tv wall being 19ft, the wall the sofa is on is 17ft. Originally the furniture was on opposite walls but I was unable to see the tv from the kitchen when cooking/washing dishes, so I swapped them around. The tv I just recently mounted on a full motion mount to be able to see it from my table. It might be a tad bit high but when seated on the couch, my direct eye level is at the bottom of the tv, so it's not at all uncomfortable viewing it at the current level. The cables will be covered with a different raceway I ordered and painted to match the wall color.

The windows are 8ft wide. I sewed the current curtains and actually enjoy them. I will consider adding back tabs if necessary, I just hung them via the pocket to get them up. They do have a contrasting black trim on the inside, but not on the outside. I'm still deciding if I want to add it to the other side, it was just so tedious that I'm avoiding it at the moment.

Regarding changes, I am willing to add a rug, change out the side table, even the canvas artwork. I would change out the console to something longer, but I live by myself, so unless I order something that can be delivered, it stays. I would consider a long shelf underneath in place of the current console if I can sell it. The sofa, ottoman and chair are staying. I also have to keep the ceiling fan and blinds as I'm in a complex that must maintain the same look from the outside. I only use the fan, rarely the ceiling lighting as it's too dim for my liking. I'm always using the natural light during the day as this room gets plenty of natural sunlight.

I'm mainly struggling with what to do on the wall with the tv. Should I do some floating shelves, one on each side? I would like a way display some decor items, pictures, etc. I'm also deciding if I can do a small desk on one side of the tv, not sure of which side though. Either where the tree is or where my dog's bed is.

I'm not wanting to spend alot of money on this but if I find some pieces I like, I'm willing to spend up to around $500-$700 to make the necessary updates. I prefer contemporary styling with neutrals, muted colors found in nature, greens, blues, lighter wood tones, etc. Attached are pictures of the space. Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated and welcomed.

Comments (52)

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

• cc646
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I agree on all aspects. It was my first time mounting a tv and I did it on my own before researching the proper height, so it was just a guesstimate. I'm trying to decide if I want to move it but it was a bit of a struggle the first time, plus I'd have to figure out how to fill the first set of holes. I got the console when I moved into my first apartment, so I've had it for 7 years. I just haven't found something I love to replace it with, hence considering doing a long shelf that would be easier to move with. Same with the ottoman, I was/and still am limited to what could fit in my car. If I find something local I like, I might be able to get a co-worker to help me move it in.

Basically I don't want to spend money on something just to fill the purpose, I want to love it, hence why I only have what I have so far and haven't replaced these original items from 7 years ago. The only new-ish purchase is the side chair. I do appreciate that the ottoman has storage for my blankets, so if I do replace it, I would need to find some other storage option.

• cc646
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I do like the gallery wall option, but I know I would probably struggle with the arrangement and items that would be cohesive.

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

following

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

I discovered this site the other day and don't know anything about them except that they have prearranged sets of giclee prints that aren't too expensive. I saw one set of eight for $125, but I couldn't figure out how to determine sizes. Maybe have to call them and find out.

The real expense would be in framing unless you could find some inexpensive frame kits online and do it yourself.

Nordic Art – NordicWallArt.com · More Info

https://nordicwallart.com/collections

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

If you don't move the TV too far, it might hide the holes and you wouldn't have to fill them till you move out. ;-)

• housegal200
    4 years ago

• cc646
    Original Author
    4 years ago

groveraxle - By my measurements, the bottom of the tv is currently at 19 inches above the console or 41 inches from the floor. Using the same console, I would need to move the mount down by about 10 inches, which would make the top hole from the position visible above the tv. I've been debating it's current position or moving it over to the next stud, which would make the tv more centered on the long wall but off center facing the shorter wall. Currently it's slightly off center on the long wall but mostly centered facing the sofa. If I do move it I only want to move it once, so I want to make sure. It's me being nit picky even though I know it really can't be centered on both because one wall is 2 ft longer than the other.

• cc646
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I'm skimmed though the site you mentioned and have found some nice things, but they don't seem to have a way to save things you like to a wish list, etc. :(

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

First, why not put your tree in front of the window it would be much prettier there and fill some space for you.

Then I would put the TV on the shorter wall where you have the sofa now, and put the sofa on the long wall, it will eat some of that wall space up more effectively.

Then I would either add a second chair or at least bring the chair you have to the foreground side of the room so it can help create a seating area for you and cut into some of the tunnel effects you are having now.

Then I would address adding some pops or dark neutrals to contrast the sea of beige you have here. And think about what you can afford to add or have around the house that you can fill in some "holes" with.

• cc646
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi, thanks for the suggestion! I originally had the apartment set up where the sofa was on the longer wall and the tv on the shorter wall. But because of where the kitchen is and how it's tucked back into the other corner, I was never able to see my tv while cooking/washing dishes. Hence why I changed the setup and mounted the tv, so it could still be seen from the dining table. It's still watchable while flush but tilting it outwards helps. I live by myself so having the tv on the current wall helps alot, but design wise I know it's probably not the the best option.

But I will try centering the tree in front of the windows. There is not an outlet on that wall since only the first floor and a couple of the second floors have patios. The third floor units just have an "extended living room". But I can purchase a shorter extension cord to reach one of the outlets on the adjourning walls. I'll attach pictures of the rest of the space so you can get a better picture.

Thanks for the suggestions/advice thus far.

Pictures showing the kitchen placement off of the shorter wall. Could not see the tv when it was on the wall the sofa is currently on.

• cc646
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Also this apartment lacks an entryway, as soon as you enter you're in the dining space on the left. There's a small square of tile and then you're immediately on the carpet, so I have that smaller rug there to not get the carpet dirty. This area is my other struggle as it doesn't have anywhere to store shoes/jackets, personal items once entering. I don't wear shoes in my apartment, so I have to have something for shoe storage. Any suggestions on how to make this not as awkward?

With the Hemnes cabinet, it would have to go where the current storage is, because the wall behind the door is not wide enough for the unit.

What I currently have: PINNIG bench with shoe storage 31 x 21 x 14

What I've thought of replacing it with: Hemnes shoe cabinet with 2 compartments

It's not much different dimension wise, just taller at 35 x 50 x 12

The nearest ikea is 3 hours from me, but I'm visiting family for Christmas and there's an Ikea about half an hour away. So if this seems like a better option, I can purchase it while I'm down there since I'm driving.

• housegal200
    4 years ago

When you get to Ikea, consider getting 1-2 long, low media/bookshelves that will cross the entire TV wall. (I see why you don't want to change it.) Make sure the units fill the far wall.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/besta-tv-unit-white-60294504/

Start looking for a large art work that could balance out the TV so that you have something wonderful to look at. It could be something simple--an abstract graphic--or something colorful. (Not necessarily suggesting these but showing two type of art/palettes and styles that would add something bold to the room.

Instead of Ikea for entryway, maybe add a little more interest as well as function with something like this: big round mirror (which will reflect light from across the way), a bench/coffee table (put baskets or small shelf

underneath for shoes) and interesting coat hooks, and a small rug to define the area as a entryway.

• housegal200
    4 years ago

Oops, a couple more things:

--Float your armchair to face the window and connect better to the sofa as part of a conversational grouping. It's lonely off in the corner.

--If you get an entry or other rug or art, pick a bright color from them and paint the interior door a bright color.

• cc646
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I'm in an apartment that doesn't allow painting, so the door suggestion I can't do. I have been considering the mirror suggestion above the current bench though. There's not a lot of space there so that's why I I'm having trouble delineating an entry space being that it's so close to the table

• ana_46
    4 years ago

Everything looks too small (read: short) for the space. Since you aren't willing to spend too much, a larger TV and sofa are not an option. I'd go for a longer console (Ikea has great options!) and I'd definitely do a gallery wall. groveraxle rendering of the art makes the space look so much better. Just use that as a guide. And I agree with RL Relocation LLC : switch the TV and sofa wall! Good luck ... keep us posted with pics when you make some changes!

• housegal200
    4 years ago

OP doesn't want to switch walls because she likes watching TV from kitchen. Something long and low with some art around the TV will give her what she wants.

Note to cc646. Get a colorful entry are rug to delineate your entry space.

• housegal200
    4 years ago

Something like this could work in your living room and could be accomplished with two side by side Ikea media stands.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

question about your dining table, could you turn it so it goes with the width of the room? might give you some more entry space... just a thought.

• felizlady
    4 years ago

I would suggest you need two chairs to flank the TV so guests will not be sitting along the one wall...that makes conversation difficult. If your carpet covers hardwood floors in good condition, I would remove it and replace it with an area rug which leaves up to 24” of hardwood showing around the perimeter.

• housegal200
    4 years ago

Freebies:

--tree centered on window.

--float armchair facing the window and in reach of coffee table to create a conversational group.

To buy:

--mirror for entryway

--rug for entryway

--2-3 very long, very low Ikea media pieces

--1 very large art work or the group arrangements Grover suggested. Her Photoshop is doable and would give you such a visual reward for that long wall. Good luck!

• cc646
    Original Author
    4 years ago

housegal200 - yes these are all items I will be on the lookout for. I do like the idea of a gallery wall, so I will be searching for items that will make it up

RL Relocation LLC - Regarding the table, it's circular so I'm not sure I understand how turning it would make a difference?

felizlady - I'm in a rented apartment in a complex so the carpet cannot be removed (I wish). I am thinking of looking into a low pile rug though.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Ikea has a Besta that's just under 6' wide.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

Well how was I supposed to know its circular lol, no picture showing it........just trying to help!

• cc646
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sorry, I realized after I posted that I might not have included a picture showing the table. I'm posted pictures a couple of times that I didn't remember what all was shown. My bad, once I get home, I'll attach a picture. Thanks for the suggestion though!

• jbtanyderi
    4 years ago

Lower the TV to no more than six inches above the cabinet. Frame the picture so that it stands out from the wall. Have a pair of chairs on beside the cabinet to create a sociable space. Add more art. Replace the fan with a more elegant one. Add more lamps.

• Susan Davis
    4 years ago

I like your room and all the comments, so I guess one more won't hurt? lol

I agree you need a pair of chairs in a fun color or print; if you are enamored of your art over the sofa pick a color from it for your chairs in a variation of the color; ei if you pick turquoise or purple for example it can be light or dark check or floral, but get a pair.

Would you consider putting a study table or desk by the window; the room is so sunny and inviting that working in it might be fun and make it multipurpose....if you found something second hand you could paint the chair or desk another color in your art work, or add lamp in color of art work......

my neighbor has the enclosed shoe bin and it looks fabulous in her entry way; go for it.

Your console is dark so you might consider adding more dark wood to the room so it relates to the console.

Top picture shows pairs in a room; chairs, mirrors, tables, pillows.....a pair of chairs would be very nice on either side of TV.

Touches of black in this picture too......note large pictures on either side of wall; possib

Traditional Living Room · More Info

le art on each side of TV.

Hempstead Place · More Info

The picture below is an example, black curtain rod, black frames, black/dark brown on curtain edge are all examples of things relating.

Bedroom Lighting · More Info

• cc646
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Susan Davis - Hi! I am entertaining the idea of a small desk by the window, especially since that area will be empty after the tree is packed up. I currently use my sewing machine at my table and it's too high, so I've been wanting a small desk but haven't found anything I like yet that's not expensive. I do like the black trimmed mirrors in the first pic as well as the setup above the couch in the second one.

I'm attaching a picture showing the dining table and how close it is to the entry. Ignore that clock, I'm still searching for one I like for that spot since I'm replacing my old one. I did purchase the mirror from Target, is that a good size for above the shoe storage? I didn't want to go with black since there's already so much in that space.

I also purchased this 8 x 10 rug to break up some of the beige everywhere. Opinions? I do like the colors and pattern. I originally saw it back in August in Lowe's in their "$198 any rug/any size pile" and hadn't found anything I liked since then. I had taken a picture of the label and planned on asking them if they still carried it and actually found it in the same pile again. The second picture is more representative of the colors (white, gray, dark/light teal, small hints of golden brown). It's a low pile, slightly textured rug, the gray parts are lower than the rest of the pile.

• housegal200
    4 years ago

While I'm not a fan of rugs on rugs and try to get pattern in art, furnishings, etc. that rug works.

Just a thought since I hadn't seen your dining setup. You could take that corner/entry up quite a notch by getting a narrow, perhaps thrifted, slim console you can paint. Use the top as a buffet and put shoes below. (The dining set blocks the view of the bottom shelf. Put your round mirror on top.

Suggestion: To get the most comprehensive responses, please, please show all four sides of a space before you post a Dilemma. The view of the dining area really changes the mix for people commenting.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

Flip the location of the sofa and TV.

Big Pieces on Big Wall. Small Pieces on Small Wall

• cc646
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Opinions on these mirrors? I loved the teardrop shaped one but felt like it might be too tall for that space as well as too close to my wall color.

• suezbell
    4 years ago

Pleasant space and good beginning. Don't over clutter the room or walls in pursuit of decorating it.

On a tight budget, do consider shopping thrift store for the few items you actually decide you need. Do consider dual purpose pieces -- end table/cabinets with storage capacity.

In you room, and uncrowded by unnecessary furnishings, consider creating two distinctly separate areas. One might be the "entry" and/or office area and the end nearer your large windows might be the sitting area.

You might be able to raise the level of your tv console instead of replacing it -- you could add a box shelf either for hanging on the wall OR to set atop the cabinet you have -- painting it and the cabinet the same color, hiding the wires with that addition.

Your console already has short legs but IF you can add additional legs/feet and/or wheels, that, too, could raise the cabinet height.

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1328&bih=617&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=GgrsXYCvIM-K5wLg-rOwDA&q=square+feet%2Flegs+to+add+to+furniture&oq=square+feet%2Flegs+to+add+to+furniture&gs_l=img.3...25783.27841..28132...0.0..1.423.1205.6j3-1j1......0....1..gws-wiz-img.s-kqizh0Kxc&ved=0ahUKEwiApK3prqTmAhVPxVkKHWD9DMYQ4dUDCAY&uact=5#spf=1575750202601

• housegal200
    4 years ago

Just get a large, plain round mirror. Focus on getting a possible interesting console for the entry and the long, low Ikea media shelves for TV wall along with art per Groveraxel. These mirrors look a bit too cheesy for your space over what is now a boot tray.

• suezbell
    4 years ago

You might try different bulbs for your overhead light. There are LED light bulbs that fit in a traditional/standard light socket that have 6000 lumens -- the equivalent of a 60 watt bulb (but with less heat). These are available at most big box stores, including WallMart.

If you are DIY inclined, the big box building supply stores will usually cut your boards to the lengths you indicate you need to build your own box shelf (or any other board shelving you decide you want) -- something that you could bring home in a car and put together with small galvanized finishing nails.

Really like the art you have over the sofa; definitely would keep that there.

I like your current ottoman. Even if you get a coffee table, keep the ottoman for if/when you invest in a second chair so you have the option to place where it can be used by the occupants of both chairs and/OR A large round wood tray (or thick glass) on top of it could enable your current ottoman to double as a coffee table.

https://www.google.com/search?q=image+round+tray+on+round+ottoman&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjjuaG5sKTmAhWvmOAKHeNjCS8Q_AUoAXoECAwQAw&biw=1328&bih=617#spf=1575750613597

If you can find matching end tables and lamps for beside your sofa,you could re-purpose the table and lamp you have for use beside your chair(s).

When your budget permits, a second chair (need not match the one you have) placed across from the other chair will help define your seating area -- you could face it toward the windows and add a floor lamp or lamp/table combo or shelf/lamp combo to the left of it that, making the left side of your tv not "blank".

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Simple-Designs-Floor-Lamp-Etagere-Organizer-Storage-Shelf-with-Linen-Shade/41153476?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=876&adid=22222222227030131700&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=64091998008&wl4=aud-430887228898:pla-90779135088&wl5=9011011&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=112561772&wl11=online&wl12=41153476&veh=sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIt9yM-LKk5gIVC3iGCh1gkwEbEAQYAyABEgIhT_D_BwE

You don't need art on every wall and art need not necessarily be framed pictures hung on the wall. If you decorate shelves with your favorite wood boxes or glass or ceramic pieces, etc., -- one piece or one small three item grouping per shelf -- that, in my budget conscious opinion, would be far more practical than spending money on art that doesn't "speak to you" just to fill a space.

• everdebz
    4 years ago

On one of those walls, would a bench help - if you're really wanting an extra foot of space...

Private residence- Grayson Hill · More Info

W 48" / D 30" / H 40" / for one side of a dining table, or in an entry, family or living room. Neatly tailored / antique brass nail head trim / tall tapered legs. 100% polyester is durable and easy to clean. Manufactured By R2H.

Accentrics Home Banquette in Leisure Gray · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/pri-fabric-living-room-bench-in-beige-prvw-vr~48629382

• everdebz
    4 years ago

W 40" / D 24" / H 43" / $197

Intercon Furniture Santa Clara Ladder Back Bench, Brandy ST-BS-889CB-BDY-K24 · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/intercon-furniture-santa-clara-ladder-back-bench-brandy-st-bs-889cb-bdy-k24-prvw-vr~96179942

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

No clock in the dining room. Kitchen, yes. Dining, no.

Art goes at seated eye level.

• suezbell
    4 years ago

Cute pooch.

Do remember that you will be needing to dust those more ornate items and that the more ornate items can visually shrink a room.

• suezbell
    4 years ago

IF you're going to physically lower your tv -- which now appears to be the same height as your art over your sofa -- you might consider investing in a built board (wider and longer board made by gluing boards together) to which you can attach the bracket before hanging the bracket on the wall -- one that will both cover the holes and lower the bracket/tv..

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1328&bih=617&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=1RzsXYirB-e8ggf6g4PoAQ&q=wood+table+top&oq=wood+table+top&gs_l=img.3..0l10.26588.32036..32393...0.0..1.423.2140.13j0j1j0j2......0....1..gws-wiz-img.....0..0i67.FyXSQEF0GPc&ved=0ahUKEwjI6cvXwKTmAhVnnuAKHfrBAB0Q4dUDCAY&uact=5#imgrc=CFUucSqeOOM1WM:&spf=1575755001982

If/since the tv is comfortable for your use as is, you might consider just visually lowering it by visually adding to the height of the cabinet beneath it as you hide your wires. One of these built boards attached to the top of the back of your cabinet could hide your wires and enable you to use it in other ways, such as adding a floating shelf or art to it.

Do let us know how your project turns out.

• cc646
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Suezbell - Thank you for those suggestions. I will look into the led bulbs for better overhead lighting. I would love to try to DIY a narrow console for under the mirror if I am unable to find another solution. Something like these. I could work on it when I visit family for the holidays since I don't have an outdoor space.

Ikea Hack: Narrow Console Table

hairpin leg console

Or I could try to find a narrow console for under the TV. I plan on covering the cables and my router/modem is in the second bedroom, so I don't really need the storage of the media console, just shelving. These would be easier for me to build/carry on my own.

Arhark narrow media console

Karns Narrow Console Table

My current ottoman does have a wood tabletop on the reverse side, I just never use it that way because I don't care for the color wood of the top. I wonder if I could refinish it into a lighter shade or if it would be too much work.

I would like at least one shelf on each side to display some pictures and items from when I've travelled, but I don't want the wall to look cluttered either. On the other hand, I really like what Groveraxle came up with, with the Hemnes cabinet and the art. The shoes would be concealed and the cabinet doesn't intrude on getting to the chairs because of it's shallow depth. I love that shade of light blue chosen!

Everdebz, I appreciate the suggestion but I don't think a bench would work because it would extend too far into the space, especially if it were centered with the table.

• everdebz
    4 years ago

I meant that the bench would be against the wall surface, and all moved toward it.... light I suppose would need a ceiling anchor hook thing.

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Or you could have storage within a seating bench [lift the lid kind]. Move chairs around the table down a bit, or keep 1 of them aside.

• cc646
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I wouldn't have anywhere to store the other chair. Plus the chair that is against the wall you suggest pushing the bench up against, has just enough room to be pulled out as it is. If you look back at groveraxle's rendering with the Hemnes cabinet, It's a really small dining area and even though my table set isn't large, it fills the whole space. But thanks! I've yet to be in an apartment where I live (that's not $1200+) that gives you decent dining room space. I've been in 4 apartments in this area and they all give you a small square pushed up against the wall in a corner, in the path of walking traffic. It's one of the compromises I always make. In my last apartment it was by the entry just like this one, except to the right of the table it was pushed up against the folding door to the washer and dryer!

• cc646
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Anyone have an opinion on using an open shelving console under the tv versus a media cabinet? I'm thinking that hopefully I can sell my current one and get something not as heavy. I would have to be able to carry the box up to my third floor apartment and looking at the weights of some of the Ikea media consoles, I don't think that it's possible. I could try ordering something but FedEx/UPS never delivers to my apartment, they always drop off at the front office. Then I have to struggle with dragging the box to my car, praying that it will fit, and then getting it to my apartment.

Here are some styles I have liked but they're all too short

Safavieh Josef White/ Grey Lacquer Console Table - 59" x 17.6" x 31.5"

Kate and Laurel Garaghan Brown Wood/Metal Console Table too short

Brynn Console like the length and color wood but too expensive $500+

Abbyson Carolina White Rectangle Console Table

• decormindedprincess
    4 years ago

I always find mixing things up with some nice accent pieces is fun and adds an interesting flavor. Maybe a wall of small pictures or a small multi-color rug on the floor. Maybe check out some thrift shops or something or some vintage items for some accents. I read an interesting article on how to learn how to decorate.

https://allthedecor.com/art-decor-magazine/decorating-ideas-you-dont-need/

I always check out 1stdibs.com for interesting pieces and then try to find them for cheaper prices.

Best of luck!

• pat1250
    4 years ago

• suezbell
    4 years ago

Redoing the table side of the ottoman to a lighter color has risks. What you'd need to strip the current finish could damage the fabric. If the dark color truly disturbs you, you might consider a light colored round practical place mat cover for it when you use it instead.

• PRO
    Styldod
    4 years ago

Hi, We've built a mock up of your room to help you visualize better. Along with a longer media unit, you could also add some some tall storage to either side. You could also consider adding a recliner/ chair by the window. For your entryway, you could add a console table with concealed storage to make it look more chic.

Do let me know if you'd like to see more layouts/ color options in this mock up.

• cc646
    Original Author
    4 years ago

So I'm focusing on the entryway first since it needs the most help. I purchased these decorative wall hooks from Target and placed them behind my front door. Trying to decide where to place 2-3 smaller hooks for my keys. I'm thinking either below the light switch or vertically closest to the edge of the wall.

While I was in Target, I also saw this console for $190. It's the perfect width and I like the lighter "wood" shade however I worry that the cabinet is a little small. I thought about not using the divider section or getting a single piece of wood cut to extend across the whole cabinet. Only problem is that the box requires two people to carry because it's that heavy. I couldn't even get it into the cart :( I'm still considering the Hemnes cabinet but these were some options I found. Thoughts?

Ada Mixed Material 2 Door Cabinet with Glass - Project 62

Loring Console Table - Project 62™

• cc646
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Update: So my original plan of getting the taller Hemnes cabinet didn't work because I'm on the shorter side (plus the quality didn't seem the best in store and the back is open to the wall). I didn't want to have to raise the mirror I already installed and the shorter Hemnes cabinet with four drawers would have been too wide for the space. The next viable option I saw was a billy bookcase with doors. It was white and they had it styled with fabric behind the glass. I liked the birch veneer color better than the white but the birch color didn't have an option for solid doors :( So I ended up purchasing the glass doors and bookcase for $110 (even though the cost per door was pretty much the same as the bookcase?). For now I added some gold dot wrapping paper behind the doors vs using the included black/white backing. I am able to store shoes/boots plus my work bag so this works better as a storage option. Plus they sell extra shelves for $15/each so I could potentially add another if needed. I did have to anchor it to the wall for stability. Even empty, just opening both glass doors made the unit tip but luckily it was easy to do.