Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jamers8

Exterior Update Needed: 1980s Ranch Update

Jamie Romines
10 years ago
We are in the process of purchasing this ranch home on the family farm. It hasn't been occupied for the last year so things are a little overgrown at the moment. Any ideas on what can be done to freshen up and give new life to this home?

The windows will stay as they are in very good condition and we don't want to paint the brick but will be doing new siding on 3 sides. We will also do new exterior doors, garage doors and add a deck in the back. Thoughts on colors, style, etc? Trim color, door color, siding color?

Removing all the landscaping and bushes next to the house seems like a no brainer to me. It's all over-grown, dated and WAY too high maintenance for me! I prefer simple, clean and easy! Thoughts on any landscaping would be appreciated too.

Comments (4)

• kathleen MK
    10 years ago
    This looks like my laws home. My MIL used a lot of soft yellow and white with that brick color. If the garage doors were the gold tone from the lightest bricks they would blend into the house better. You could use the same gold on the door or go witha bolder shade like the darker brick. Some greens could work too.

The arborvitae by the door is definitely outgrown its place. When you take they out you could enlarge the porch. Expand just a bit where the trees were as semi circle or extend a deck to one side under one of the windows. You could add planters and rockers or a swing. You might could just trim back the low shrubs and add flowers in front of them. What flowers depends on where you are. Go for perennials and bulbs that come back year after year.
    Jamie Romines thanked kathleen MK
  • houssaon
    10 years ago
    I like these colors to go with your brick instead of white:
    Benjamin Moore Baked Cumin 1062 · More Info
    Huntington Beige HC-21 · More Info
    Squire Hill Buff 1068 by Benjamin Moore · More Info
    or
    Metropolis cc-546 Benjamin Moore · More Info

The front door would look good in
    Benjamin Moore Saybrook Sage Paint · More Info
    Newburg Green hc-158 Benjamin Moore · More Info
    or
    Kendall Charcoal HC-166 by Benjamin Moore · More Info

Garage doors with windows and a full glass storm door to see your new front door would look better. I would take the shutter off. I don't think your house needs them. The windows have a modern style.

The two over-grown arborvitae flanking the front door should definitely go, but some of the other shrubs and the yews just need to be hand pruned. Then you can fill in with flowering bushes and perennials.
    Jamie Romines thanked houssaon
  • kathleen MK
    10 years ago
    Before pulling out those big shrubs find out what they are. A good pruning may give you a better look than starting from scratch.
    Jamie Romines thanked kathleen MK
  • Jamie Romines
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you all for your comments and suggestions! I will definitely pull out the arborvitaes. I also think they are overgrown and they just aren't my style. I also agree with removing the shutters on the back of the house. We had discussed this as well and I'm glad to hear others agree! I'm excited about taking the color options by the house to see what I like in person too! I'm still unsure of what type of front door to get that would look nice. I'm a big fan of storm doors with screens and have looked at the full view with hide away screens and like those (we are in the mid-west so any extra protection to block the wind is good! Plus, I love having my front door open to get a cross breeze!)

The air conditioner and other ventilation/pipes in the back do pose a problem with the deck design. Ideally, I would like to have a large deck span between the single door on the left and the sliders on the right but not sure that is doable...