Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ehelena

Too matchy-matchy rug and painting?

Magic Carpet
4 years ago

Hello, Just me again, Magic Carpet Rider trying to finish my living room. I am getting a different dining table, it will be rectangular in natural wood color, just have to find the right one first. Meanwhile, this rug is on sale and I love it. It would go under the dining table which will be in the same place as the one in the photos above. Do you think it's too close and matching the painting too much? Is it a mistake to buy the rug before the dining table? Thank you:)

Comments (21)

• always1stepbehind
    4 years ago

I had to re-read your post...At first I thought you meant the current rug, was it too matchy-matchy. Yes, I'd wait till to get a table first before choosing a rug. Your space is looking great though.

Magic Carpet thanked always1stepbehind
  • housegal200
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Identifying the problem with a room isn't always easy to figure out. IMO, the problem isn't matchy-matchiness but lack of contrast as well as color values that with the same saturation, e.g. floor and walls kind of blur together. Your art work looks interesting and so does the patterned rug you plan to buy. Your buffet piece and TV piece are fine. However, the coffee table doesn't work in the room either functionally or colorwise.

A couple suggestions:

--The patterned rug you're thinking about would look great in the sofa area because it would connect your art to the floor. The existing sisal rug both blends into the flooring yet the tans don't work together. Any chance you could return it? Then leave the dining area without a rug. Make sure the new rug is large enough to put the front legs on it or even larger. Then you don't need a dining area rug.

--Dining table: Your round table is the right shape for that space and the color does work with the floor. I wouldnt get a rectangular one. If you want to add interest and contrast, paint the chairs black to go with the buffet piece. Or get a few black upholstered chairs with arms that you can also bring over to the living area as needed. These chair legs match the dining table; the black upholstery links with the sideboard.

--The coffee "table" doesn't work. You should have a rectangular or oblong coffee table or

possibly two square leather ottomans there that are reachable from each sofa.

Safavieh Bobbi Tray Storage Ottoman, Saddle · More Info

--Did you just finish painting the walls? If so then keep it. If you have other plans, paint the walls a much lighter shade of the floor tan--almost white, making sure they work together--then do an accent wall where the TV is:

Anita · More Info

Keep your existing green for an accent TV wall:

Eclectic Living Room · More Info

Magic Carpet thanked housegal200
  • cawaps
    4 years ago

I love the green walls, love the artwork, and don't think the rug is too matchy-matchy with the artwork. But I don't think I like how the rug would look with the existing LR rug.

Magic Carpet thanked cawaps
  • ilikefriday
    4 years ago

I think the rug would be great but I would put it in the living room instead of the dining room.

• calidesign
    4 years ago

Put the new rug in the living area and use the sisal if it is large enough for the dining area, or just leave the dining area without a rug. I like your wall color. A rectangular wood coffee table would look great to replace your ottoman. You could use a similar finish to your dining set.

Magic Carpet thanked calidesign
  • tedbixby
    4 years ago

Love your painting. I'd wait on the rug until you find your dining table. Just a suggestion but have you tried either coral or blue pillows on your sofa? Picking up the coral or blue color in your painting. I think it would be smashing with your wall color and also help relate the painting to something in your room. You might consider these colors for accessories for the top of your dining buffet, too. These colors will make more of a statement and work well with your green walls which needs strong color elements to pull it together. Use your painting as your color guide.

Magic Carpet thanked tedbixby
  • Magic Carpet
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks so much for expressing your opinions!! :). I should have mentioned that the black server under the mirror is going into another room together with the existing table/chairs. I am looking to have a modern look in this room, and the painting is my inspiration. I have another round table, how do you think this will look with the Wishbone chairs? I love the beech wood colors most. The chairs I currently have I don't like. I can paint the table any color.

• tedbixby
    4 years ago

What does your other table look like? Your current table even if painted isn't giving that modern vibe off. Your room is leaning towards "beachy" feel as it stands right now and the item that is throwing that off a bit is the painting. Tell us what you are wanting to accomplish as far as style and what you are willing to change. Unless all you wanted was how we felt about the rug...

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

The slipcovered sofas are feeling shabby chic but the wishbone chairs are going eclectic-Asian and won't work with either table, IMO. I don't see any ideabooks to tell us what you are interested in doing or the look you're going for. You say "modern" but what does that mean to you? Modern farmhouse is a look and so is mid-century modern; then there's contemporary modern et al. If you're set on those chairs, take a look at how others have used them with different tables. If you can't change the sofas and the shabby chic feeling they lend to your space, you might want to paint your current table and chairs, or even slipcover the chairs; they work better with the current look of the sofas.

https://www.houzz.com/photos/query/wishbone-chairs/nqrwns

Dustylu · More Info

Magic Carpet thanked decoenthusiaste
  • calidesign
    4 years ago

Your TV console and sofas aren't "modern" either. The only thing modern is the painting, but it's a nice balance to the other more transitional/casual pieces you have. I like your current table and chairs with all your other pieces, including the art and the new rug you are considering. I'd call your current style "casual eclectic". If you're trying to go "modern", you'll have to replace everything except the art. You can't just add MCM chairs to a traditional table, or a whole new MCM dining set without changing other elements in the living area to make it cohesive.

• shwshw
    4 years ago

following...

Magic Carpet thanked shwshw
  • suezbell
    4 years ago

Prefer the rug you have in the living room with no rug beneath the dining table.

Unless you already have a new sideboard picked out, what you might do instead of moving your current sideboard from the dining area is painting it and the base of your new round wood topped table to be the same color. Also paint your existing chairs that new color to see if you like them better before investing in a new set of chairs.

Instead of hanging a mirror over your sideboard, you could add shelving above it painted the same color -- perhaps, if you're DIY inclined, create an open hutch with shelving boards to stand on the existing sideboard.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/88523948905817238/?lp=true

Magic Carpet thanked suezbell
  • suezbell
    4 years ago

Like the art and the throw. Would keep them ... unless you're planning a major (expensive) redo now anyway.

Would consider your sofas casual or boho rather than "shabby" since they are light colored and do look clean and soft and comfortable. And that foot stool -- my very idea of boho.

Would probable want my decorating budget to be used for matching end tables and a pair of taller -- emphasis on taller -- thin lamps with medium white shades as long as the sofas don't actually need replacing -- if the sofas are undamaged and comfortable.

• suezbell
    4 years ago

Not a fan of the new chair choices you are considering. Would paint the chairs you have a dark color before choosing either of them.

Like the blue in your painting. If you do, you might consider painting your chairs and base of your new round table and sideboard and any hutch you choose that color.

• Magic Carpet
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Love all the comments and suggestions, thanks!! Nobody loves my wishbone Hans Wegner chairs huh? OK... I thought the Danish look would fit right in. No? I also thought that getting a beech wood table/chairs in that room would work with the jute rug to continue the natural look. I know some thing in the room may not be ideal together but I am ignoring that. Ideally, I would like the room to look comfy, scandinavian, modern, casual, Bohemian would be great too:) The two-tone table/chairs are not staying, but having them there for now makes me realize I like white/light much better than any dark furniture.

I was thinking of getting these two lamps and putting the table lamp on end table in corner, and the tall one behind the other sofa to the right of the TV. OR...do you all think the lamps (that are definitively needed) at the end of the sofas would have to be matching? Thanks:)

• tedbixby
    4 years ago

As others have said, your current dining table and chairs work well with everything else and I wouldn't change it except to maybe paint the set. All you really need are some accessory additions and tweaking to finish the room.

" I would like the room to look comfy, scandinavian, modern, casual, Bohemian would be great too " Bohemian is the complete opposite of Scandinavian and right now, I don't see anything in your space that says to me this is the direction you are going...

You may want to spend some time on Houzz looking at Scandinavian and Bohemian rooms and even create Ideabooks which may help you determine which style you want to work towards.

The style of the lamps you are considering really don't work with what you have in your space right now. Nor are they Scandinavian or Bohemian...

• salonva
    4 years ago

NOT a pro-

I think those lamps could work well with your room, I go back and forth particularly with the colored lamp but I think it works.

Magic Carpet thanked salonva
  • decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

Use this chart when purchasing lamps/tables.

Magic Carpet thanked decoenthusiaste
  • suezbell
    4 years ago

Instead of painting your dining area sideboard, have you considered swapping places -- tv cabinet with dark wood sideboard -- so you could keep the dark wood finish of the sideboard that could work with the dark tv.

You could then repaint the painted white cabinet and pedestal base and dining chairs any color you want.

• calidesign
    4 years ago

The tall floor lamp can work in your room, but not the patterned shade lamp. Either one of your dining table sets is fine with your other furniture.