webuser_979792806

questions planning drip system to upstairs patio/balcony

j
2 months ago

Hi:

In planning stages now. I would like to introduce automatic watering for several container plants on an upstairs level balcony/patio which has no water access but good sun and doesn't get overly hot. Plants are to be combination of annuals, a couple blueberry bushes, and some veges and maybe berries.

The ground-level yard has a drip system installed which is plumbed directly into the irrigation line via three rainbird valves with anti siphon, which in turn are piped directly into mains. System is only a few months old, installed by a landscaper.

The balcony/patio is 10-15 ft above the yard, and has no water. Ideally, I would like to add one more valve (I can do up to four based on how everything is wired), and have this to a dedicated drip line run up to the balcony. It doesn't seem hard, just turn off water, cut pipe, add new valve, tie in wire, done. However, I'm not sure how/where I would add a back-flow and/or vacuum breaker? The valve would need to be down at ground level, and with the containers being up 10-15 ft???

Any better ideas?

Only other option I can think of, is to make my own SIP/self-watering containers and just forget about the drip system. Each method has the relevant benefits and drawbacks. Not sure what to do.

Thoughts? Thank you for your time!

Comments (5)

Need help with an existing Houzz order? Call 1-800-368-4268