GET IDEAS
anncgavin

New master bath - need help with metals/wood in black & white bath

Ann
last year

My very small 3/4 master bath will be gutted in 2 weeks. I've purchased off-white subway tile for the back wall and shower, off-black large tiles for the floor and have selected, but not purchased, dark granite for the cabinet top. The only items I plan to re-use are the custom cabinet (it'll remain off-white) and the chrome faucet. I've ordered chrome hardware for the shower (but could exchange). Below are photos of current state, granite and tile selections and other elements in the bedroom I'd like to pull in. I need help with choosing hardware, mirror and sconce metals/colors. Can I mix ORB, black & chrome with a wood-framed mirror? How else could I mix wood in to warm up the room? The electrician is coming to install new light boxes for sconces on Jan 13, so I need the dimensions of the mirror and sconces Thanks for your help!

I plan to re-use this custom cabinet (repaint similar color, change hardware). The wall behind the cabinet and toilet will be tiled with off-white subway tiles to the ceiling.

The wall next to the shower door will be replaced with glass on top 2/3. Shower door will be frameless glass.

Shower tiles circa 1967 will be replaced with off-white subway tiles (off-white grout), shower floor tiles will be same material as floor only very small. Dropped ceiling in the shower will be removed.

Existing window (new) and toilet. Toilet will be replaced and tile below window removed.

I like these sconces

Jolie Olde Bronze One-Light Wall Sconce · More Info

I like the ladder in this small bath. It would bring in another wood element and serve as a towel rack. Mine would be wood but not as rustic.

Modern Farmhouse Bathroom · More Info

• Design Girl
    last year

Yeah - at least somethings going right.

Ann thanked Design Girl
  • Ann
    last year
    last modified: last year

Both the owner and the designer thought the vanity looks beautiful. They apologized that it's not what I had in mind and agreed the sample didn't reflect the nature of hickory. They said there's no way I'd get my money back or even get new drawers and doors because this is how hickory stains. I asked about the wide frame piece in the middle and they said because Shiloh has standard door widths, that's normal. If the owner of the design firm was not a neighbor, I would have pushed harder, but we have a small, friendly neighborhood. That said, I won't be ordering a vanity for my main bathroom through Shiloh/them. I'm hoping the hickory vanity grows on me. It doesn't look as bad in certain lighting. The difference between what I've expected and what I got was the shocker. When I had my custom kitchen/F.R. cabinets built 5 years ago, they were everything I had dreamed and hoped for. There was not one thing I would have changed. I now appreciate the difference between a factory product and a cabinet-maker's product. I'm thankful the vanity won't be in my main bathroom that also serves as my powder room.

Update after meeting with a custom cabinet maker right after meeting with the designers. Daniel the cabinet maker said, "Do you want my honest opinion? Any good designer would look at this and cringe!" He said if the factory would have stained the piece after it was constructed, they could have corrected the uneven stain. He suggested painting it and has offered to do so for $500. That sounds fair to me. There were several other things he pointed out about the design that we would have done differently. This cabinet was $1000. He would have made it for $1500. I would have gladly paid 1/3 more for custom-built piece by a person I trust. Wish I would have remembered him to start.

Thanks for following along. I appreciate everyone's opinions and support.

Need help with master bath look for new construction home

Since they are large tiles and you are installing in brick pattern be sure to ask installer if they will be level. There was a post from someone that had a bad install and it was not recommended they be brick style pattern. I hate to be negative but better to find out before rather than after.

Need help please!! Reno master bath. Need some help

The cement looking floor tiles would be great. I would consider a Brown Fantasy Granite/Quartz top for the vanity and keep it more simple. If you're only doing a single sink vanity you could possibly do a semi-custom and do just as well on price and then add your own pick for top. Or try finding a piece of furniture/antique to add a top and sink into- this is a unique way of making it your own and there are many to choose from (I would suggest strongly that you pick something with quality construction).

I need help with my new master bath

White marble works well for a 'spa' like feel.

Need help for our Master Bath in new home.

in my opinion, it might look a little squished. it would leave you with about 6" on each end. however. there would ample room on both sides to help keep an open feel about it. I personally would go with a built-in undermount tub and get a large tub. the claw foot tub will become a piece of furniture and will require more time and energy to keep it and the area around it cleaned. if there is more room around a claw foot tub, then it is easier to keep clean since you would not have to contend with its close proximity to the walls around it.
  • Sherrie
    last year

Have you decided to have it painted for $500? I think that's probably your best option, rather than continuing to go back and forth with the neighbor who apparently isn't going to budge. At least if you paint it, you won't cringe every time you look at it and might even end up loving it once the quartz is installed and you won't be out another $1,000+ for an entirely new vanity. Hoping the final outcome is fabulous.

Ann thanked Sherrie
  • Ann
    last year

Yes, I've decided to have it painted. @Design Girl - Do you have a Ben Moore paint deck? I chose Sail Cloth OC-142 for my bath walls and need to choose a paint color for the cabinet. Would it make sense to use the same color or would I need to go darker? It seems there is enough contrast between the white tile, white floor and Sail Cloth. Thx! hope you're not disappointed in my inability to convince the designers to take my side.

• Design Girl
    last year
    last modified: last year

@Ann - Never disappointed in you. Just pissed at Tammy and her inept "designer". Questions answered on the Shiloh post.

Ann thanked Design Girl
  • Ann
    last year

@Design Girl - Let's continue this discussion about my vanity here. I'll post the end result on the other post. Today, I'm sending an email to the owner asking for resolution with the expectations that she has skin in the game. I hope to hear back from the Shiloh rep, and my woodworker friend should hear back from his drawer vendor. So hopefully, we'll be on the road to a solution by next week. Thank you for sticking up for me!

• Design Girl
    last year

@Ann good idea. There are some very unkind Houzzers out there. Have you ever used what looks like a private message on Houzz? I haven’t so don’t know how it works. If I remember I’ll try to send you a private message when I get to my laptop. Hang in there.

• Ann
    last year

@Design Girl - I found the setting under "Advanced Settings". You can choose to be contacted on by people you follow or by anyone. I changed mine to "anyone". LMK if you've changed yours ad we can continue our discussion. Thanks!

• Design Girl
    last year
    last modified: last year

Ok, I think I've got it. I'll send you a message.

• Ann
    last year

Here is a photo of the vanity installed in the bathroom. Ignore the unfinished edge on the top of the valance. My handyman made routed the edge to make it look nicer. I’m heading to Rockler to see what they suggest to even out the stain.

• Design Girl
    last year
    last modified: last year

Photo of 24 year old kitchen

Ann thanked Design Girl
  • Ann
    last year

Sketch for my new vanity - This one will be custom-made by a local cabinet maker. I'm considering rift cut white oak, maybe walnut or maple (may be too blotchy).

• katinparadise
    last year

I have solid maple cabinets in my kitchen that are well stained. It takes the right person to know what they're doing. Hopefully you can sell your other vanity and recoup some of the loss!

• Sherrie
    last year

Thanks for updating Ann.

• Design Girl
    last year

@Ann - Here are the pics we discussed. I will probably have to do them in several parts.

• Design Girl
    last year

More pics

• Ann
    last year

Design Girl - thank you! Can you take one more of the pine cabinet top drawer showing how much room please? My only concern would be that I only have 2 feet behind the cabinet so could be really tight when pulling out drawers. My previos cabinet had very generous side drawers. I fit a few towels in the bottom one. Now I’m wondering how. I had a round sink. Agreed the area under the sink is a lot of wasted space!

• Design Girl
    last year

@Ann - Please disregard the total mess. I haven't cleaned these drawers since the kids left the nest. Additionally as you know this was an antique piece of furniture so the inside is pretty raw. Yours would be all nicely done. In terms of measurements, each side of the top drawer is about 10 inches wide - all the drawers are the same depth at 8 inches deep. I think many newly built vanities would have a shallower top drawer and then deeper second and third ones.

• Design Girl
    last year
    last modified: last year

This is the second drawer down. - Each section is about 14 inches wide, plus the little one in the center.

• Design Girl
    last year

@Tatsiana Grebenyk(Baa) - That must be a joke.

Ann thanked Design Girl
  • Ann
    last year

@The Kitchen Place - If it's easier to reply to my PM here, that's ok too. This was my original post. I'm sorry your long PM to me didn't come through. I haven't replied to my dealers options yet.

• Design Girl
    last year

Wide drawers on basement cabinets.

Ann thanked Design Girl
  • Ann
    last year

I just ordered a new custom-made vanity in walnut. It’ll be done in a month. Once it is, I’ll post photos!

• Ann
    last year

Here's my new vanity...unstained. If you have any experience with staining walnut, please let me know! I'll post another photo once it's installed!

• Ann
    last year

My new walnut vanity installed.

• Design Girl
    last year

Gorgeous

Ann thanked Design Girl
  • Kathy Wright
    last year

THAT is a beautiful piece of furniture! Much more fitting for the style of your bathroom.

Ann thanked Kathy Wright
  • Ann
    last year

It's a little darker than I thought it would be, but I got worried when I saw the grain of the raw wood and was afraid the it would be too prominent. Luckily, walnut gets lighter with age, so at least it won't get darker. I think it will be stunning with the white quartz top. They are coming to measure tomorrow. Toilet will be installed on Monday. I'm excited to wrap up this project and move back into our bedroom/bath.

• RedRyder
    last year

It looks good. Darker got rid of the uneven-ness. Looks classy.

Ann thanked RedRyder
  • Ann
    last year

@RedRyder it's actually a brand new cabinet. :)

• Ann
    last year
    last modified: last year

@Design Girl - My vanity top goes in tomorrow. Yeah! The electrician will be here on Friday, so I need to place my mirror. Can you please remind me ....how many inches above the backsplash should the bottom of the mirror hang? I'm so excited at the prospect of having another bathroom and getting my bedroom back!!!!! TY!

• Design Girl
    last year
    last modified: last year

@Ann - I can't wait to see the finished product. Some of this depends on the actual height of your vanity. What is the total height of the vanity with the top on. Generally speaking, the middle of the light fixture should be between 75 - 80 inches off the floor. The mirror can be 3 -5 inches above the vanity. If you know the vanity height, I can advise you exactly what I think would be best.

• Ann
    last year

@Design Girl - i will measure as soon as they leave and advise. The backsplash is 4”. Thx!

• Design Girl
    last year

@Ann - I'll be here - I haven't been out of the house. Things are bad in NYC and we have so many commuters.

• Ann
    last year

@Design Girl - The counter installers are here now. I looked for prices on the Toto tub we decided on and IT IS DISCONTINUED according to the TOTO USA website. ! BUILD.COM has ONE in stock. Haven't found it elsewhere yet today. Plumbers Supply no longer shows it. Lowe's doesn't carry Toto. I'll be in touch after the installers leave. Yikes!

• Design Girl
    last year

@Ann - I'd get the tub - I had the last Toto promenade toilet shipped to me from Utah.

Ann thanked Design Girl
  • Ann
    last year

@Design Girl - I got the LAST on available online. The one at factory direct was already gone. The last one was at build.com. It may be in my garage for a year, but one less thing to have to try to find for my next remodel!

• Ann
    last year

Master bathroom · More Info

New quartz counter and Kohler sink!

• Ann
    last year

@Design Girl - counter is 30.5 + 4” backslash = 34.5 + 31.25 (mirror frame) = 75.75 off floor. Leave 1” between mirror and backslash = 76.75. Leave 1” between top of mirror and bottom of frame = 77.75” at bottom of light fixture and 82 at the top. Ok?

• Design Girl
    last year
    last modified: last year

Ok, the vanity isn't as high as I though it would be. I'd leave 1-2 inches between the mirror and the backsplash. Then I'd figure out the light based on it's specs. It's best to NOT have any of the glass from the light fixture impede on the mirror. Let's get the light specs so we can decide. Thoughts?

Ann thanked Design Girl
  • Ann
    last year
    last modified: last year

@Design Girl - Thanks for helping me once again. My handyman finished up today. I was his last stop before we start our statewide "shelter-in-place" order on Friday at midnight. We tried to hang the mirror, but the wire we had on-hand broke with the weight of the mirror. I think the mirror needs to sit about 2" above the backsplash as it's not very high. I understand your concern about the placement of the light - I need to consider the glass shades. The actual size of the fixture is 10.5"Hx20.25"Wx7"D. The middle bar is 4" high. I'll measure the fixture tomorrow with the glass shades on. They appear to hang down from the square bar about 3" https://www.shadesoflight.com/products/modern-progression-vanity-light-3-light. 30.5 + 4” backslash = 34.5 + 31.25 (mirror frame) = 75.75 off floor. Leave 2” between mirror and backslash = 76.75+10.5 (fixture)=87.25 from floor to the very top of the fixture. I'll take better measurements so I can mark the area behind the base of the fixture for the electrician who is coming on Friday morning. How much space do you suggest between the top of the mirror and the bottom of the glass shade? Any other thoughts?

• Design Girl
    last year

@Ann - Now you're sheltering in place as well. It's crazy out there. I may be divorced before this is over as I am now "corona crazy" with wiping everything down. Since they have found the virus in several Amazon distribution facilities they are now suggesting we spray down every cardboard box that we come in contact with. I've got a ton just sitting in my garage. First, I'm wondering if the mirror should be hung with screws and molly bolts right into the wall instead of with a wire. That's what they did on mine. Then there is no movement when cleaning. If you feel the mirror should be higher you could go up to 5 inches above the splash. I think you have more room than you think as I believe your math is wrong. 30.5 plus 4" backsplash = 34.5 + 31.25 (mirror frame). = 65.75 NOT 75.75 off the floor. Am I right (getting confused as I've been in the house for weeks.). So if the fixture is 10.5 that still gives you room. They suggest the middle of the fixture (in your case I think it would be the round horizontal bar on which the lights attach) be between 75 and 80 off the floor. Check my math and see if you come up with the same thing. In my powder room, I have 4 inches above the top of my mirror to the bottom of the glass on my fixture. I think that should work for you, but may depend on how high off the backsplash the mirror goes. So my calculations are 30.5 + 4(backsplash) + 5 (space between top of splash and bottom of mirror) =39.5 then add the mirror frame +31.25 = 70.75 off the floor. If you leave 4-5 inches between the top of the mirror frame to the bottom of the glass on the light fixture, I think the center of the fixture should be about 80 off the floor. (and that is with the mirror 5 inches off the backsplash). You have the light fixture so it's my best guess. Let me know your thoughts.

• Ann
    last year
    last modified: last year

@Design Girl - you are so right. Yesterday was crazy. My handyman clearly wanted to finish up and leave. I made two trips to the hardware store for parts he needed and wanted to hang the mirror before he left and never returned. In haste, we decided to hang the mirror from a stud in the center of the vanity with some wire he had. I may try to get heavier wire to see if it’ll hold until I can secure it with molly bolts on the sides. The toilet and faucet are now functional. I do have another smaller mirror I could hang temporarily. With your accurate measurements and my light fixture, I can mark the placement of the light for the electrician who is coming tomorrow morning. I’ve read that cardboard doesn’t hold germs that long. We’ve been unpacking boxes in the garage and washing our hands afterwards. Who knows? Not sure when the shower glass will be installed as I’m waiting for the tiler schedule to install the quartz curb. We’re fine for now using the shower curtain. Back to the mirror. I’ll use blue tape to outline the mirror and the light fixture using your guidelines. If the wire broke, I’d likely ruin my beautiful mirror. Minnesota starts “shelter in place” at midnight on Friday. So far our hospitals are not overwhelmed but as everyone, we are short on tests, masks and ventilators. Hang in there!

• Design Girl
    last year

@Ann - Glad you're making some progress. A picture with blue tape would be very helpful. A small mirror would be best until you can get the other one hung properly. You don't want to damage your new mirror or have it fall and do something to the quartz. It's really just the molly bolts in the wall and a screw that sticks out just enough so the mirror hooks can hang over it. My mirrors never move at all. I'm glad the faucets and toilet are in and operational, and the shower curtain is just fine for now. Stay well.

• Ann
    last year
    last modified: last year

The bathroom is FINISHED! Yes, What was supposed to be a 5 week project turned into almost 4 months - waiting for a new vanity to be made, then slow response due the corona virus. Thank you to all who followed along! A special thanks to @Design Girl for finding the materials and coaching me on every decision.

Master bathroom · More Info

Master bathroom · More Info

Master bathroom · More Info

• katinparadise
    last year

Beautiful! Were you able to come to any resolution on the other vanity?

• Design Girl
    last year

YEAH - finally 100% complete. Looks beautiful - I'm glad you're happy.

Ann thanked Design Girl
  • Ann
    last year

@katinparadise - the other vanity was a loss. The neighbor/remodeler who sold it to me promised to refund me the cost less $175. I paid $1000 for the cabinet and $210 to fix the back of the cabinet (since I had installed it) and she used that as an excuse that she couldn't sell it. I owed her about $380 from the countertop, and she didn't ask for that money, so I'm out about $830. She kept the original cabinet. Haven't heard from her.

• RedRyder
    last year

Wow! It looks great. The floor, vanity, mirror - everything is fresh and beautiful. I hope you love it and the nightmare vanity part recedes in your memory. Enjoy!

Art Masonry Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars112 Reviews
Loudon County's Hardscape and Landscape Expert in Outdoor Living