Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_840593919

Modular- What you wish you knew...

C T
4 years ago

Before getting your modular, what do you wish you knew but didn't at the time? Lessons learned?

We are beginning the process and would love feedback.

Comments (13)

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    4 years ago

Define "modular".

C T thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • C T
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you both for your comments!

Mark, we are looking at a company called Bill Lake and his modulars.

• live_wire_oak
    4 years ago

And how many decades have they been in business? Also, how do they justify the higher costs for the end results to their customers?

C T thanked live_wire_oak
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    4 years ago

"Bill Lake and his modulars" sounds like a big band group.

It is hard to determine what exactly their "modular" construction consists of. I think they assemble wall sections in a factory and ship them, and other building parts, to the site where they are assembled; which is what I would call "modular construction". A "modular home" would be where the home is totally assembled in a factory and shipped to the site and placed on a foundation as a whole. The former would have greater design flexibility.

The only "modular" project I have been involved is is where they shipped wall sections made solely of 2x wood structural members with the remaining construction preformed as traditional stick construction.

Online reviews of the company from a third party may help you.

C T thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • katinparadise
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I sold modular homes for 8 years. If you're anywhere near a Ritz-Craft dealer, look at their models. Their quality is amazing and there is plenty of design flexibility. I don't think I ever built a home that didn't make changes to the floor plans. I see that, if my Google search is correct, Bill Lake is in the 518 area code. You should be able to find a dealer near you. The factory is in Mifflinburg, PA and is probably within driving distance for you. They give factory tours and have models and a large design center on site.

C T thanked katinparadise
  • PRO
    Home Reborn
    4 years ago

I've never believed the time savings claimed for modular homes. The best-known modular home builder in my area claims "additions in three days" but that is just for a bare-bones framed shell that my own framer (with just one helper) could complete in five or six days. Over the entire duration of an addition or new home project, that's an inconsequential difference. So much that goes into residential construction is not, or can not, be modularized: excavation, footings, foundation, drains, plumbing, electrical, HVAC, roofing, insulation, trim work, cabinetry, painting, exterior finishes, etc. etc. etc. So what are you actually gaining by going modular?

C T thanked Home Reborn
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

The builder has been in business for 45 yrs he must be doing something right.

C T thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • C T
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Tangerinedoor, thank you. Your post was incredibly helpful and I look forward to looking at your site. Did you do one contract only with your company? We may do that ...or at this time we’re getting a few more opinions on the septic/leach field. So more than one contract may be necessary depending on what we find out.

• tangerinedoor
    4 years ago

CT click on my name and send me your questions via email, because I don't want to get hassled on this thread.

My home had a lot purchase and home construction all in one package. The lender organized it for me, did all the inspections, engineering inspection, ALL. AFAIK my builder decides how much of a project he wants to do, and the rest goes to subcontractors or organized by the buyer. My home has town sewer/water; a subcontractor for my builder did the pipes and hookups.

I had one contract with the builder (but other buyers have different arrangements) and one with the lot seller. But neither was viable without lender approval.

Perhaps your builder can tell you how to organize the septic so it's compatible with one of his/her homes? Check with your lender, too, if you have one. The lender has to approve of every little thing: it's their money.

C T thanked tangerinedoor
  • tangerinedoor
    4 years ago

CT.. Check out the thread at https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5835874/help-design-800-square-feet#24958480 . I talk about how my house is designed for age-in-place, but other features as well.

C T thanked tangerinedoor
  • tangerinedoor
    4 years ago

One thing that surprised me ALOT. In my state, modular homes are taxed as a "thing", not a property. Yep, sales tax! They only become property when they're installed. Property taxes, here I come.

So, you might have to pay sales tax.... Here, it's not the full 6%, but some other formula. Still, it was quite the annoying surprise!

• chispa
    4 years ago

tangerinedoor, but you are also paying sales tax for all the parts that go into a stick built house. You get charged sales tax on the lumber, tiles, plumbing, etc. that go into the build, so not that different.