a1basemnt

D-I-Y Mold Testing Kit and Mold Remediation

Some common signs of mold in a home include the discoloration of surfaces Trust your senses. If something smells funny or bad there is a reason for it. The nose knows. If you think you have a mold problem…you probably do. You can be sure with a mold testing kit from A-1 Basement Solutions.

Mold can cause surfaces to change color to white, green, or black. It is important to pay attention to these warning signs since molds produce allergens. Mold spores and bacteria cultures that form on wet surfaces can expose serious health problems to you and your family.

With mold, what you can see is only the tip of the iceberg. Most of the suspended airborne particles are too small to see; yet small enough to be respired (breathed into the lungs) which causes sickness and disease in people and pets. 10% of Mold you see… 90% of Mold is microscopic. These invisible particles are a serious health risk concern.

Common places to find mold in the home

The attic. The attic gets moisture from nail pops on the roof and roof leaks. The attic can also retain moisture if not properly ventilated.
The bathroom. The bathroom has moisture in it from the sink, toilet, tub and shower. You should have an exhaust fan in the bathroom that vents directly to the outside not into the attic. If you don’t have an exhaust fan you should open the window when engaging in activities that produce moisture.
The basement. The basement can get moisture through the foundation in the form of actual water leaking or water vapor. In the Summer humidity from the warm air is also a concern because the cool basement floor and walls attract moisture.

The test is a simple but effective one. It’s done with a mold test stick – it’s a plastic tube that encases a cotton swab. At the top is a plastic vial in a bulb shape. The user bends the bulb to crack the seal, and then a chemical wets the cotton swab, turning it green. The user rubs the swab on the suspected mold. If the swab stays green, it’s not mold. If it turns gray, it’s dormant mold. If it turns purple, it’s active mold.

You do need to:
A.) Find and fix the source of the mold causing moisture.
B.) Kill the Mold.

Once you have shut off the mold's water supply we can go ahead and remediate/kill it. There is a very simple process I call "The Three S's'.

1st "S" SPRAY the mold to kill it. Use a mold spray from the store. There are many different brands, Lysol, Tilex, Moldex, Concrobium, etc. They all work pretty much the same. Don’t use bleach because it is toxic for humans as well as mold.

2nd "S" SCRUB the mold. Once the spray dries up a bit, you want to get a scrubbing sponge and some water mixed with a disinfecting household cleaning liquid soap and scrub it away. It is already dead, you just want to remove any sight of it. Let it dry thoroughly before proceeding to the third "S".

3rd "S" SEAL it. Next you want to get a can of Spray sealer like Kilz or Zinnser and spray the wall that you just scrubbed.

Comments (2)