mcc371

OBF January Swap New Calendar 2020

mcc371

Our Blooming Friends Swap Group [0BF] was created to have a reliable, fair and safe haven to swap and trade between group members. If you care to join us, we would love to have you.

Please be a successful member of GardenWeb/HOUZZ and have completed a trade with two or three of our members. Membership requests should be sent to me, Shirley (Brittneysgran).

Please take a moment to read our rules and then, Have fun!

1. Send your swap by posted deadline for each swap.

2. No bickering. This is meant to be fun for everyone.

3. Send things that you yourself would want to receive.

4. Always include a Delivery Confirmation number and post it when you send your package.

We are going to send our partners a Calendar for 2020. You can purchase one or you can be crafty and re- do it. The choice is yours. Try to make it Garden related. If purchasing get one that has flowers or the countryside in it. If you want to re-do one or make one.. They say the best things come from the heart. You can add pictures, stickers or anything you have that would be interesting even recipes!! I know the dollar store has some nice calendars for $1.00 so the cost is great and mailing should be minimum. If you have pictures of your gardens you can attach them over the originals.. or attach some seeds in the spring months or seeds in the fall for winter sowing. The skies the limit with our calendars. Please post pictures of your calendar when you receive it.

Sign ups will be until Jan. 7th and I will post partners on this date, please mail out by Jan. 20th.

Happy New Year Ladies.

• mcc371

Honeywort Blue Kiwi Plant. It has really come to life since I moved him in the house.

This in my peppermint plant. He will be ready for a transfer into a hanging basket as he is started vining finally.

This is my Bibb Lettuce - time to harvest again. I am growing it using the krakty method of aquaponic. Love using it in my salads!!

I got this cacti at Christmas I have another one that’s bigger and fuller. There is 3 types of these- Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Easter. I didn’t know it until I was at the garden center and was talking with a lady who works there. Still don’t know which ones I have I just love the flowers!!

• skyblue52

Honeywort blue kiwi beautiful. sounds interesting. Sorting seeds I soaked some pepper, passion vine and black Datura seeds. This will push me to get moving. I did order 3 new tomato seeds. Now looking at my "collection" I better use what I got. So many old tomato seeds I loved. why go for the fancy colors when a German red strawberry was one of my top rated tomatoes. did sort out my dwarf seeds for trading. I am not impressed. but I have room for full size plants . and dont care to grow all winter just for tomatoes. I like the thrill of having the first ripe in July #always hoping. This is a new one called Black strawberry. But now I relized I grew 1 just like it last year, and have grown one of the parents of this.

yes talking tomatoes. Bingo I need 4 more. Thank you for the twister, I saw Shirley was on before me. Are we supposed to YELL Twister when we see it? ready for that second cup of coffee. have a peaceful day

• smitties

Tammy, thanks for the advice. I’ve never even heard of the Pioneer magazine.

I have one of those cactus and it blooms at Easter and Christmas. Lol

• mcc371

No just when you see the word twister hurry up and post a comment before I post the next bingo word.

• mcc371

i order mine thru amazon and get it lots cheaper. I am able to choose print, kindle format, or digital.

Mother Earth News

https://amzn.to/2sNgaFy

The New Pioneer

https://amzn.to/2RbYi0j

• smitties

I’m going to try the Mother Earth since I can actually get it for $10. Plus I have access to all past issues online.

Thanks.

• brittneysgran

Tammy the PO said you should receive your pkg tomorrow.

Love that Honeywort Blue Kiwi plant.

Margo I have never tried either of those magazines but they both look very interesting.

It was very cold this morning and I told DH we are going thrift store hunting today. We ended up in Commerce, Ga. and had a fun day. Mostly bought more toys for the Grandkids like they need them. Found a big pocketbook for items for the homeless. Our Church asked all the ladies to fill a pocketbook full of things women can use. Toothpaste, toothbrush, gloves, scarves and etc. I would hate to be homeless in this weather.

This is the way I organize my seeds

• skyblue52

Susan I mailed your package sat. It should be there today. I will try to find the tracking slip if there is a delay. long day of doctors visits. got another trigger finger . I have been buying the compression gloves tring to ease. Not finding any relief. got a copper one from amazon yesterday. There is no one in IN. in our group? thinking of going to a seed trade sat. in Noblesville In. worked all night seeing what I could label and offer tring to decide whether to drive the night before and get a hotel. or do the 2 hours in the morning and get there at 10;30. .not so much for the seeds. more to see the people I talk to in the seed/tomato groups . But want to take my massive tomatoe seed box and share. I still need to make an updated list.

• smitties

Susan, awesome idea on the seed trade. It’s 3 hours from me. If you have another one to go to in the future, let me know. I might join you.

my husband has had a procedure on one hand for trigger finger and surgery on the other. Needs to have it done again and will do so once he starts Medicare in April. Have you been to the doctor for it. If it’s not real bad, the procedure he had done was quick and easy. Must be hard to garden.

• brittneysgran

Ladies with January Birthdays are Margo and Amy this month.

• amybabyboy3

Thank you Shirley!

Happy Birthday Margo!!!

• Susan Nieves - Happy Ohio Gardener

Love your seed organizar Shirley, thanks for the photo, gives me some ideas.

Happy birthday to Amy and Margo!!

Susan, sorry to hear about your trigger finger, hope you get some relief soon.

Susan, thank you so much for the wonderful calendar package. I received it today but was in bed for the greater part of the day. Yesterday I was feeling kind of tired and today I woke up coughing and had a sore throat and stuffy nose. Sleep helps so much and I am beginning to feel a little better. Making some garlic tea with honey and lemon and have been drinking immune support echinacea tea all day and went through countless Ricola drops.

Susan sent me the most wonderful Old Farmer's Almanac Gardening Calendar filled with gardeing tips and special dates, and she added all the OBF birthdays, planting dates and best fishing times, so thoughtful of you!!! I also love the star straw, the valentines, lip balm, mentos, listerine tabs and the seed packets, sunflower mix, garlic chives, lemon balm and gold medal tomato. I can't wait to grow these this year in my garden. Thank you thank you for such a great package! I am so so grateful for everything!!!

• mcc371

Happy Birthday to Margo and Amy.

Shirley I went to post office today and it wasnt there or well no slip in box will check tomorrow

Bingo Word Tarragon.

We had my father n law in ER for most of this evening. He is 77 years old and fell. Hit his head and had a gash that is about 4cm long. I was more worried about his hip As he was complaining of it hurting. But everything came back okay. It has been a long day so I will update and get back on track tomorrow. Hope you all have a blessed night.

• skyblue52

happy birthday girls. here is an easy old fashion cake for youhttps://www.facebook.com/CookistWow/videos/560854261072663/

• Susan Nieves - Happy Ohio Gardener

Tammy, hope your father in law has a speedy recovery, that's quite a gash. Glad they did not find any other issues. Take care and get some rest.

• brittneysgran

Susan that cake recipe looks yummy.

Tammy keep me updated on the pkg please.

• mcc371

Good Morning everyone, wow what a 2 day ordeal. We ended up putting my father n law in hospital. He has started complaining with headaches and with him having dementia they don’t know so more tests. That was my yesterday. Thanks you for all the prayers.

That recipe looks yummm!! Gonna have to try that. love recipes!!

• mcc371

Shirley I received your calendar in mail yesterday. Such a thoughtful gift. She wrote everyone’s birthday down and included seeds and tokens of love on every page including the month of March for my birthday all the way thru to December and ended it with a ornament for my tree. I will be able to enjoy this all year. Wow, such a thoughtful gift!!

• mcc371

Then I had a wonderful Surprise from Margo! She had private messaged me and discussed the surprise calendar of “who” she would be sending to! As I had told her to let me know so that i could make sure the person received 2. It Was’t who she said.

Sneaky Sneaky Margo sent it to ME!

As a wonderful hostess gift! This too brightened my day yesterday. You ladies are truly awesome!!

she sent some coloring pencils with a small calendar to color, a pocket planner for my purse and then the cutest idea of all- she took pieces of paper and wrote little quotes for each month on them and attached seeds to the the back. She also included a card she made. What a cute idea! Thank you Margo!!

• mcc371

Happy Birthday Margo!!

• brittneysgran

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6124347374001#sp=show-clips

Really like this video on CBD oil and how it cured John Schneider's wife Alicia from stage 4 cancer.

I told DH if I was ever diagnosed with cancer I would try all my plants until I found one that helped. Hemp seems to be really helping people. Our neighbors have a hemp farm and planted acres and acres last year.

• mcc371

12th bingo word - Spring

13th bingo word- Hollyhock

14th Bingo word- Vegetables

• mcc371

I love this idea! Has anyone tried it?

I saw this on a fellow gardeners

FB page...”Layering your bulbs.

'Lasagna' planting a wonderful example of what a lasagna of bulbs looks like in cross section. Weeks of bloom guaranteed! And it makes much more effective use of your pots.

Plant the late flowering species in the lower layer, mid flowering species in the middle layer and early species in the upper layer. For example: Tulips, daffodils and crocus or tulips, hyacinths, and snowdrops.”

• smitties

Thanks for all the birthday greetings.

Interesting layering idea. Just in case anyone still needs seeds, Burpee seeds packs are buy one get one Free. Use code SEEDSALE120

• mcc371

Shirley a friend of ours sells the CBD oil and after my husbands wreck this past year. He tried in on his shoulder and the pain has lessened a lot and he was taking pain pills everyday and the drs were discussing surgery. Now he has full range of motion and isn’t in pain.

There is 2 hemp farms here.

• mcc371

Susan (skyblue52) I haven’t seen you post on your calendar -Have you not received it?

• brittneysgran

Tammy I really like the bulb layering idea and am going to try it. Good to hear the CBD oil helped your husband. If you can avoid pain pills and surgery that's awesome.

My amaryllis is blooming

• skyblue52

no I have not. was it delivered today? I decided to go to IN. for the swap tomorrow. They kept talking rain for 2 days. So I felt I wanted to have a relaxing drive and left early. I am so happy I did. I got to super 8 at 6. they were full. and upgraded us to a full room. so nice.

• mcc371

Brittneysgran love the Amaryllis!! It is so pretty!

Susan- let me find the tracking number and see when it said. And hopefully you will receive it when get back home.

Enjoy the swap and let us know how it went. Wish there was swaps around here i would love to go.

• mcc371

15th Bingo word: flowers

16th Bingo Word: perinnials

17th Bingo word: pumpkins

• mcc371

Anyone have a B I N G O ?????

• mcc371

I bought some candy cane sorrel oxalis bulbs today at home depot. I hope these grow the pic on pkg is beauiful.

• Susan Nieves - Happy Ohio Gardener

Those are cute!

i am close no Bingo yet.

• mcc371

18th Bingo Word: Worms

• smitties

I hope you bulbs bloom like that too. How pretty.

Looks like I need one more word for Bingo.

weather here has been crazy. We are about to tie a 100 year old record with a trace of snow for January. We head to Gulf Horse, Alabama tomorrow to visit family. Low 60s each day. Was hoping for warmer but I’ll take it.

• skyblue52

I went to the 3 rd central Indiana "seed swap". More of vendors then anything. attendance 400 on a snowy day.Took my massive box of tomato seeds and put free on them. Very little interest.. I purchased an heirloom squash called candy roaster and a tomato. Had basic free seed and other bee attractors. I listened to 2 great speakers

• mcc371

Sad there was little interest in the tomato seeds. Hope you still had fun!

But your seed swap sounds like one I attended a few years ago.. lots of vendors but not really anyone taking/ swapping seeds. It was more on a professional level. The speakers even were to me talking “ Greek” as one was speaking on the genetics of a bulb and another hydroponics in greenhouses.

I like to attend the swaps where you meet in a biotanical gardens area swap seeds/plants, bring a picnic lunch and talk to everyone about your gardens or swap recipes and garden items.

• mcc371

19th Bingo Word: Sunflowers

20th Bingo Word : Calendula

• skyblue52

bingo yea

• sandlapper_rose

Congratulations on Bingo!

• skyblue52

Now I get to go thru my old seeds again. but they are sorted for one coming up in March . It does say vendors. Just see what is going on. https://www.facebook.com/ohiovalleyseedswap/photos/gm.797051194138503/2566027283678900/?type=3

• Susan Nieves - Happy Ohio Gardener

Congratulations on Bingo Susan!!!

• skyblue52

Got Tammy'sJanuary calendar package today. An Indian inspired calendar with the OBF birthdays. A daily planner with room for phone numbers. Need to redo mine. A raccoon sticky notes to be cute when making notes. 12 months of seeds. White garlic chives,giant noble spinach,Dutch corn salad, chantenay red carrot, jumbo banana squash, 2 snow peas, lilliput orange cosmos, queen Anne's lace, and hosta guacamole. Just waiting for March. Thank you Tammy

• brittneysgran

Congratulations Susan

• mcc371

Yay!! Glad you got it Susan I was beginning to worry. Also Congratulations on Bingo!!!

Looks like this is a wrapped up month.

i will get the prizes in mail this week.

Hope you all had lots of fun. It was a pleasure being host.

Tammy

• brittneysgran

Thank you Tammy for a fun January swap.

• Susan Nieves - Happy Ohio Gardener

Thank you Tammy for a great January swap!

• smitties

Tammy, thank you so much for a month of fun. Margo

• skyblue52

UPDATE on swap seeds. I spent the night watching SB and updating my tomato seeds. someone took the whole bags of A-B tomato seeds. Which is fine. I hope they can grow out or spend the love of tomatoes. still holding quite a few . The ground hog and FA have me felling anxious. this is farmers almanac notes. FA says March avg. temp 43. 1 to the 17 th light flurries to rain. 25th to the 31st rain then snow showers April -ave temp. 53. - 1-6 sunny and cool 10 to 12 rainy warm 22nd to 31 few showers mild My avg temp 67 few thunderstorms warm

• Susan Nieves - Happy Ohio Gardener

Here in Northeast Ohio we have been having a strange winter with long periods of unseasonably warm temps followed by cool downs as well. This is confusing for the plants. Some of my daffodils started peeking through a week ago and I covered them with leaves to protect them. It is way to early for them in this part of the country. Susan, I hope things stabilize for your seed starting.