sara_ann_gw

2020 Color Thread: RED Roses

sara_ann-z6bok

GRANDE AMORE - I love the brilliant red color of this one.

DARK DESIRE- Very pleased with this one in its third season.

MUNSTEAD WOOD - New to me in 2019, improved as the season progressed, love the fragrance!

FIREFIGHTER This one can be a stingy bloomer for me, but I love it, and the fragrance!

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Oklahoma. I hope this rose does better this year

kristine_legault's ideas · More Info

Another out of Rosenheim

kristine_legault's ideas · More Info

• Deborah (10a - Sunset 24)

I'll add another rose to the collection. Love's Promise is a super healthy bush, super fragrant rose, and just lovely red. My picture won't do it justice -- it's a deep, lovely red. The buds are nearly black. This bush always looks good. This rose bloomed 2 days ago -- in January (yes, I'm in So Cal).

sara_ann-z6bok thanked Deborah (10a - Sunset 24)

Rose Cottage before and almost after

Cottage looks great as is -- without stone. Use the stone for landscaping rather than on the bump out. The cottage floor appears to be at or even lower than the driveway/slush. Consider digging to lower the ground in front of the cottage by at least one step and putting a stone walkway lower than the cottage and parallel to the cottage for the length of the cottage. This would also help turn the rain water away from the cottage. Make your sidewalk wider than the average sidewalk so you can set wood planters on it adjacent to the house and still use it as a sidewalk. Then create a short knee wall between that walkway and the driveway and plant a row of your favorite low blooming shrub there for color. Room permitting, you could even include a half round spot in the sidewalk/kneewall for a couple of chairs and a small table in front of the bump out.

what color should I paint this house

If you have a mahogany (or any good wood) door in decent shape, don't paint. Wood is beautiful and fits the period. I love the house and that you are keeping it historic. We painted my 1912 house greyed blue (quite dark) with warm white trim and love it. (I should say that we did not check it's historic accuracy at the time. Front door is wood with original (I think) beveled oval glass window and original hand-beveled oval cut glass window beside it. I'd say landscaping and work on the driveway is your best bet.

What do you think of Marsala, the Pantone color of the year?

True that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Whoever's interested, I'll share that my own coloring doesn't handle wearing pure white, black, much less both together. My coloring is meadow and flowers in low contrast. Many many can wear highly saturated colors and I imagine that muted colors can look plain ugly.

What color would you paint the walls?

The fire is just horrible. And there's more than just the one! And worst thing of all, the hotels and businesses up there are scalping the displaced residents, charging $159/night instead of their usual $119/night. Karma is a bitch and she is watching.
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Beautiful red rose Deborah! And lucky you to have roses in January

• Ken Wilkinson

I really enjoy my reds.

LD Braithwaite (Austin). Not much scent but blooms constantly on a big healthy bush.

Cooper (miniflora) Always in bloom.

Munstead Wood (Austin). Every garden should have one. It gets a little better every year.

Eutin (Flor). An older Floribunda that I really like.

Kiss Kordana (mini). A great grocery store mini that loves being in the garden.

sara_ann-z6bok thanked Ken Wilkinson
  • Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal

I love red roses!
    Gruss an Teplitz and Gigi mini

sara_ann-z6bok thanked Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
  • Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal

A fabulous Dr. Huey near Zion National Park

• cyndita (west coast zone 9)

Stephanie - that giant Dr. Huey is so cool!

My favorite red is Munstead Wood - it’s a thorny mess, but the flowers & fragrance are amazing, and the repeat is decent in my yard. Here’s an own root MW in a pot - for some reason the right side of the plant grew tall, but the left side stayed short. (The way the shadows are in this spot, the right side gets more sun - don‘t know if that’s why it grew this way?)

sara_ann-z6bok thanked cyndita (west coast zone 9)
  • cyndita (west coast zone 9)

Kordes Lava Flow (lavaglut) - a nice floribunda - it unfortunately isn’t fragrant & is susceptible to powdery mildew, but the flowers are little powerhouses, and last 2-3 weeks on the bush. I like it for the front yard, as it provides a spot of color, but since I don‘t spend much time out there the lack of fragrance isn’t an issue.

• sara_ann-z6bok

Thank you everyone for showing your beautiful reds! There are some very good ones from everyone of you! Keep them coming!

• Tammy (zone 5/6 southern Ontario)

Loving all these red roses.

The only red I have is Ascot. I broke my self-imposed "no red in the garden" rule for her and am glad I did. <3

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Tammy, your Ascot is lovely! I wish that I had room for that one

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Tammy, I think you'll find red adds a lot to pastels and Ascot will not be your last! Kristine, does Ascot get huge for everyone? I read on HMF it's a narrow grower, but Diane's pics tell otherwise. I need to transplant her and can't decide on a permanent home.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Vapor, I assume that it would get huge here and looking at Diane's, Ascot I think that I might be right.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

I love that Lavaglut. A great red that I don't yet grow is NavyLady. It a very deep red with a light fragrance.

Here are some of my reds. Click to see full view!

Heathcliff

Ascot

Climbing Crimson Glory

Barcelona with Summer Romance for comparison.

I'll post more a bit later. : ))

sara_ann-z6bok thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • sharon2079

Vapor is that Oracle's Barcelona????? or did you have to get another one......

Stephanie is that the trunk of Dr. Huey on the first picture...... that seems huge.....

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Sharon, that is my first one that died 2018. I keep the pictures just to remember the colour. I hope to see it again this year thanks to a dear rosey friend! ;D

• sara_ann-z6bok

Those are lovely Vaporvac, love your Crimson Glory! I’m looking forward to seeing what my new one that I ordered (bush form) will do.

Kristine, I believe this was one of only a few Out of Rosenheim blooms I had in 2019.

• dianela7bnorthal

Wow loving the reds here everyone. Lots of them that I hadn’t even know existed before today. I am taking notes. Tammy be careful, the reds are a slippery slope. ;) I also didn’t want reds in my garden and collected several almost by accident until they just grew on me.

Vapor I Heathcliff, Barcelona and crimson glory are super beautiful. I am going to look into them more.

Darcey my favorite red so far. It blooms nonstop

Dark desire is a great rose here as long as you don’t get too close to those nasty thorns.

The ascot roses color is hard to capture some times in bright sun. True color is deeper

Munstead Wood barely bloomed on its first year. Hopping it gets better 2020

Bordeaux Cityscape. Not overly large blooms, but truly continuous until hard freeze.

Ohh I just noticed I went into the yard in my bathrobe. I don’t have very close neighbors, but everyone on my mountain probably thinks I am a crazy lady anyway.

Red cascade almost got the shovel, but it’s health and vigor has saved it for now. I am liking the reds more also so maybe a clematis will make it look nicer.

sara_ann-z6bok thanked dianela7bnorthal
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Dianella, thank you for capturing both Bordeaux and red Cascade. I have both of these but no pictures as they're so hard for me to capture. Just FYI red Cascade looks really pretty next to Zaid or at least I think so. :-)

• sabalmatt_tejas

‘Geranium Red’- I love the color & fragrance of this one! My iPhone doesn’t capture the red color of The blooms accurately, the blooms are darker much like this bud color appears. Taken today:

sara_ann-z6bok thanked sabalmatt_tejas
  • mjkjrobinson

Really gorgeous beautiful roses people, my one is under 3ft. of snow and we are under a snow warning another10 before morning!

• dianela7bnorthal

Wow Vapor I love that Zaid, is that a Korde’s rose? I agree they both look lovely together. I would love to add that pink beauty to my garden, how are you liking it?

sabalmatt that geranium red is very beautiful and full of petals, thank one. That’s another new one for me.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Sara Ann your Out of Rosenheim is so much pinker than mine. It's beautiful for sure

I can't wait to see how your Crimson Glory does with your green thumb

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

OMG! Zaid is a fabulous Rose! Sarah and has some great pictures and I have a few nice ones as well. I can post. Here are some prior discussions one of which is just a link to various Zaid discussions and the other is a link to a thread started by Sarah Ann I believe. This is really a great rose with a lovely fragrance. I grow mine around an obelisk. It could be grown as a small climber if you desired or a large bush. It's canes or lacks and it has a elegant habit.

I had her languishing in a pot for 2 years but I just planted her in the ground this summer and she's doing really well. She's very healthy. Although she will get black spot she continues to bloom and quickly grows new leaves. This is her nose spray at the end of the season probably October.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/roses/query/Zaide-vaporvac/nqrw

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/3918058/for-those-who-are-growing-zaide

• mjkjrobinson

Gorgeous rose I love it!

• sara_ann-z6bok

Your Zaide is gorgeous Vaporvac, I love it on the obelisk. Yours looks bushier than mine. Mine is about six feet tall, but narrow, I love it though. Your blooms tend to look pinker than mine.

Im still enjoying everyone’s beautiful reds. Thank you all!

• jc_7a_MiddleTN

Does anyone have Amadeus or Tess of the D'urbervilles?

I had a single bloom on each their first year own roots and they both looked really incredible. I think those are the 2 reds I'm most excited about.

My climbing Crimson Glory gave off a single bloom that was just OK. I've heard really good things about that one, too.

I'm planning to raid the body bags for red HTs this spring. I'll try several and see what works around here.

• dianela7bnorthal

Thank you Vapor. This one is definitely going on my list.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Glad to enable, Dianela! Sara-Ann, mine is a very pretty colour that varies slightly. It's colour and form are extremely similar to Viking Queen and I often have trouble telling them apart in pictures unless I can see place markers such as the balustrades. I got my two Zaide's from the discount section of Lowe's 2017 where it was sold as a Patio Rose. I don't find it really bushy as the canes are lax so lend themselves to a tuteur. Maybe it would get bushier if I pruned it hard. Some of the posts linked above show it when I let the canes grow really long such that they cascaded over my balcony! That was super romantic, but I'm a terrible pot mom, so in the ground they both went last year. I would say spraying once later in the season should be sufficient as that's when the temps drop slightly and BS can take hold. It could also be that they need more fertilizer than I provide for their profuse blooming.

P.S. Dianela, if you like Zaide and can use another climber DO consider Viking Queen. It's a winner with super healthy leaves, good vigor, bloom,fragrance AND gorgeous. Thorny, but I forgive it. :P

• dianela7bnorthal

Thank you Vapor. I absolutely love Viking Queen. I wasn’t sure how her health would be, but if it does well for you I will be very happy to try her. I am making a list of pink climbers for my future pergola. So far I have James Galway, blossomtime, Olivia might get tall enough here given time, the ancient mariner and will add Viking Queen. Thank you very much.

P.S. Sara sorry for going OT on your beautiful red thread.

• sara_ann-z6bok

Not a problem, Dianela! Thank you Vaporvac!

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Same thing. I was thinking I should move this conversation over to the pink thread! :-)

• kathyc_z10

I love these color threads! Thanks for starting them!

@ jc_7a_MiddleTN I have Tess although she has only been in my garden a short time.

Here is a picture from May (she had been planted in Sept 2018).

here is a single bloom! She didnt bloom a ton after the initial spring flush but I am hoping this will improve with age

Other reds! I don't have many but I do have many pics of them!

Valentine. A workhorse, literally, This picture is from spring but it is still blooming now with 3 hours of sun. (Gruss an Coburg photobombing!)

Oklahoma. Lost my original plant to our terrible slab leak fiasco/house repiping project of 2019. She drowned! I replaced her just to have that amazing smell.

Here is a pic of one of the new blooms on the new plant. One day my son ran in to tell me the new OK was blooming and the blooms were as big as his head! So here we are measuring and comparing

Alfred Colomb, a new band from May, first bloom!

Fields of the Wood/Rhode Island Red, first blooms varied dark pinky/red

Red Intuition, a great rose for my zone! Constantly blooming and gets very tall.

A small bouquet I put together a week before Christmas, with an almost white Peace

I have Mothersday (poly) and Ascot in now as bareroots and cant wait to post pics of those!

sara_ann-z6bok thanked kathyc_z10
  • sara_ann-z6bok

Kathyc, your roses are lovely, thanks so much for sharing! They look very healthy and prolific.

• jc_7a_MiddleTN

kathy, what do you think your Tess would look like if you weren't using the support trellis? Would it just be crawling all over the ground?

I'm going to try pillar it around a large tree trunk.

Curious what challenges you see with this rose in that context.

I hope mine looks like yours soon! Really beautiful.

sara_ann-z6bok thanked jc_7a_MiddleTN
  • kathyc_z10

thank you @sara_ann-z6bok!!

@jc_7a_MiddleTN I had always planned to keep it to the trellis because that area is near where my boys play and I wanted it to stay against that wall due to its thorns. If you check HMF you can see a few pics where it is not supported it literally is just laying on the ground in a big beautiful tangled mass. In summer, my plant grew an approximately 8 foot long cane in its front that slanted out into the yard, and I cut back to the ground to keep it in bounds. It grew that cane during a trip to Europe and I did not notice it at first upon returning, so by the time I got out there, the cane had grown pretty thick. We were careful to tie up the other canes and havent really let any be free, so to speak!

sara_ann-z6bok thanked kathyc_z10
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

JC, my Tess can get some die-back which I wouldn't expect in your zone. It is a very pretty rose with an unusual colour that is perfectly described above: darker from afar, more magenta up close. : ))

• Deborah (10a - Sunset 24)

Loving all these photos of red roses -- but I can't "like" any of them -- Houzz won't let me! Here's another pic of my Love's Promise that I dug up for the winter thread:

• sara_ann-z6bok

Deborah, your Love’s Promise is gorgeous! I don’t like the fact that the “Like“ feature isn’t working!

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

I totally forgot about Darcy Bussel she blooms continuously

kristine_legault's ideas · More Info

kristine_legault's ideas · More Info

• jc_7a_MiddleTN

Really enjoying all the red roses- they are my favorite color.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their photos and input.

• Dave6aMO

Munstead Wood is the only red I took a picture of this year. I agree with you, Ken. MW should be in every garden.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Awww Munstead, my second favorite rose

kristine_legault's ideas · More Info

• sara_ann-z6bok

Your Munstead Wood blooms are so gorgeous, Dave and Kristine!

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Kristine, did I miss the name of your favourite red? Kathy, love what you are showing as they are featured a bit less than others. Tess has improved with time, but she's still youngish and got cane girdler damage so had to start from scratch. :((. Please post Mothersday..... it always looks like such a great poly. I'm hoping my Valentine likes her new sunny spot and will soon look like yours. It's a great rose with a very pretty colour that also blends well with pinks.

Dianela, I meant to mention I took the above RedCascade/Zaide picture to see the combo for an over door arbor. I planned to plant RC as the main climber and have Zaide growing up and intermingling with some canes falling at the bottom. You could possibly do that with your Kaskade. I would still do that, but have to take down a large tree first and that's not happening soon.

• Deborah (10a - Sunset 24)

Kristine -- if Munstead is your 2nd favorite, is Bolero your first favorite? This was my first year with MW. WOWZA. It's still small, and the winter blooms fell to the ground, but I rescued them and brought them inside and they lasted forever. And the fragrance!!! So yes, I agree with Ken & Dave that MW should be in every garden! I have Thomas a Beckett on the other end -- but I think I might favor MW eventually.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

No Munstead is my favorite red rose ( with Crimson Glory a close second) favorite overall rose is Olivia Austin.

I do have Veterans Honor coming so that may change everything .

• Deborah (10a - Sunset 24)

Kristine -- when I was at the Portland Oregon rose trial garden (or whatever it's called) the best red, bar none, was Firefighter. It was gorgeous and super fragrant. I'm content with Love's Promise in front yard -- upright, doesn't grab people walking to front door with thorns (it's equipped, but it grows up and not out with long octopus arms), gorgeous, trouble-free, and so fragrant. In back -- where I'm more cottag-ey -- that's where I have my MW and Thomas a Beckett. I need acres and acres of roses!!!!

• mjkjrobinson

ME TOO< BUT MY HUSBAND SAYS THIS HOME IS IT! SO I will fill it to the brim with roses and every flower I love!