Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

2020 Color Thread: RED Roses

sara_ann-z6bok
4 years ago

GRANDE AMORE - I love the brilliant red color of this one.

DARK DESIRE- Very pleased with this one in its third season.

MUNSTEAD WOOD - New to me in 2019, improved as the season progressed, love the fragrance!

FIREFIGHTER This one can be a stingy bloomer for me, but I love it, and the fragrance!

Comments (85)

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    4 years ago

Does anyone have Amadeus or Tess of the D'urbervilles?

I had a single bloom on each their first year own roots and they both looked really incredible. I think those are the 2 reds I'm most excited about.

My climbing Crimson Glory gave off a single bloom that was just OK. I've heard really good things about that one, too.

I'm planning to raid the body bags for red HTs this spring. I'll try several and see what works around here.

• dianela7analabama
    4 years ago

Thank you Vapor. This one is definitely going on my list.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    4 years ago

Glad to enable, Dianela! Sara-Ann, mine is a very pretty colour that varies slightly. It's colour and form are extremely similar to Viking Queen and I often have trouble telling them apart in pictures unless I can see place markers such as the balustrades. I got my two Zaide's from the discount section of Lowe's 2017 where it was sold as a Patio Rose. I don't find it really bushy as the canes are lax so lend themselves to a tuteur. Maybe it would get bushier if I pruned it hard. Some of the posts linked above show it when I let the canes grow really long such that they cascaded over my balcony! That was super romantic, but I'm a terrible pot mom, so in the ground they both went last year. I would say spraying once later in the season should be sufficient as that's when the temps drop slightly and BS can take hold. It could also be that they need more fertilizer than I provide for their profuse blooming.

P.S. Dianela, if you like Zaide and can use another climber DO consider Viking Queen. It's a winner with super healthy leaves, good vigor, bloom,fragrance AND gorgeous. Thorny, but I forgive it. :P

• dianela7analabama
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Thank you Vapor. I absolutely love Viking Queen. I wasn’t sure how her health would be, but if it does well for you I will be very happy to try her. I am making a list of pink climbers for my future pergola. So far I have James Galway, blossomtime, Olivia might get tall enough here given time, the ancient mariner and will add Viking Queen. Thank you very much.

P.S. Sara sorry for going OT on your beautiful red thread.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Not a problem, Dianela! Thank you Vaporvac!

4 years ago

Same thing. I was thinking I should move this conversation over to the pink thread! :-)

• kathyc_z10
    4 years ago

I love these color threads! Thanks for starting them!

@ jc_7a_MiddleTN I have Tess although she has only been in my garden a short time.

Here is a picture from May (she had been planted in Sept 2018).

here is a single bloom! She didnt bloom a ton after the initial spring flush but I am hoping this will improve with age

Other reds! I don't have many but I do have many pics of them!

Valentine. A workhorse, literally, This picture is from spring but it is still blooming now with 3 hours of sun. (Gruss an Coburg photobombing!)

Oklahoma. Lost my original plant to our terrible slab leak fiasco/house repiping project of 2019. She drowned! I replaced her just to have that amazing smell.

Here is a pic of one of the new blooms on the new plant. One day my son ran in to tell me the new OK was blooming and the blooms were as big as his head! So here we are measuring and comparing

Alfred Colomb, a new band from May, first bloom!

Fields of the Wood/Rhode Island Red, first blooms varied dark pinky/red

Red Intuition, a great rose for my zone! Constantly blooming and gets very tall.

A small bouquet I put together a week before Christmas, with an almost white Peace

I have Mothersday (poly) and Ascot in now as bareroots and cant wait to post pics of those!

sara_ann-z6bok thanked kathyc_z10
  • sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Kathyc, your roses are lovely, thanks so much for sharing! They look very healthy and prolific.

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    4 years ago

kathy, what do you think your Tess would look like if you weren't using the support trellis? Would it just be crawling all over the ground?

I'm going to try pillar it around a large tree trunk.

Curious what challenges you see with this rose in that context.

I hope mine looks like yours soon! Really beautiful.

sara_ann-z6bok thanked jc_7a_MiddleTN
  • kathyc_z10
    4 years ago

thank you @sara_ann-z6bok!!

@jc_7a_MiddleTN I had always planned to keep it to the trellis because that area is near where my boys play and I wanted it to stay against that wall due to its thorns. If you check HMF you can see a few pics where it is not supported it literally is just laying on the ground in a big beautiful tangled mass. In summer, my plant grew an approximately 8 foot long cane in its front that slanted out into the yard, and I cut back to the ground to keep it in bounds. It grew that cane during a trip to Europe and I did not notice it at first upon returning, so by the time I got out there, the cane had grown pretty thick. We were careful to tie up the other canes and havent really let any be free, so to speak!

sara_ann-z6bok thanked kathyc_z10
    4 years ago

JC, my Tess can get some die-back which I wouldn't expect in your zone. It is a very pretty rose with an unusual colour that is perfectly described above: darker from afar, more magenta up close. : ))

• DDinSB (Z10b Coastal CA)
    4 years ago

Loving all these photos of red roses -- but I can't "like" any of them -- Houzz won't let me! Here's another pic of my Love's Promise that I dug up for the winter thread:

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Deborah, your Love’s Promise is gorgeous! I don’t like the fact that the “Like“ feature isn’t working!

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    4 years ago

I totally forgot about Darcy Bussel she blooms continuously

kristine_legault's ideas · More Info

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    4 years ago

Really enjoying all the red roses- they are my favorite color.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their photos and input.

• Dave5bWY
    4 years ago

Munstead Wood is the only red I took a picture of this year. I agree with you, Ken. MW should be in every garden.

4 years ago

Awww Munstead, my second favorite rose

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Your Munstead Wood blooms are so gorgeous, Dave and Kristine!

4 years ago

Kristine, did I miss the name of your favourite red? Kathy, love what you are showing as they are featured a bit less than others. Tess has improved with time, but she's still youngish and got cane girdler damage so had to start from scratch. :((. Please post Mothersday..... it always looks like such a great poly. I'm hoping my Valentine likes her new sunny spot and will soon look like yours. It's a great rose with a very pretty colour that also blends well with pinks.

Dianela, I meant to mention I took the above RedCascade/Zaide picture to see the combo for an over door arbor. I planned to plant RC as the main climber and have Zaide growing up and intermingling with some canes falling at the bottom. You could possibly do that with your Kaskade. I would still do that, but have to take down a large tree first and that's not happening soon.

4 years ago

Kristine -- if Munstead is your 2nd favorite, is Bolero your first favorite? This was my first year with MW. WOWZA. It's still small, and the winter blooms fell to the ground, but I rescued them and brought them inside and they lasted forever. And the fragrance!!! So yes, I agree with Ken & Dave that MW should be in every garden! I have Thomas a Beckett on the other end -- but I think I might favor MW eventually.

4 years ago

No Munstead is my favorite red rose ( with Crimson Glory a close second) favorite overall rose is Olivia Austin.

I do have Veterans Honor coming so that may change everything .

4 years ago

Kristine -- when I was at the Portland Oregon rose trial garden (or whatever it's called) the best red, bar none, was Firefighter. It was gorgeous and super fragrant. I'm content with Love's Promise in front yard -- upright, doesn't grab people walking to front door with thorns (it's equipped, but it grows up and not out with long octopus arms), gorgeous, trouble-free, and so fragrant. In back -- where I'm more cottag-ey -- that's where I have my MW and Thomas a Beckett. I need acres and acres of roses!!!!

• mjkjrobinson
    4 years ago

ME TOO< BUT MY HUSBAND SAYS THIS HOME IS IT! SO I will fill it to the brim with roses and every flower I love!

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    3 years ago

I did in fact raid the body bags for red HTs.

i am so glad I did.

is this one Chrysler Imperial or Mr Lincoln? Its supposed to be CI if I remember correctly.

the bright red behind it is Black Magic which has been in full bloom for OVER TWO WEEKS

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    3 years ago

For comparison.

L to R

White Drift

Oklahoma (definitely my darkest red)

Chrysler Imperial?

Mr Lincoln not blooming

Black Magic

going to transplant a struggling Crimson Glory to this bed

3 years ago

Thank you for the comparison showing Oklahoma. I'm helping a friend with his garden and we got that at Menard's and are planting it next to Bathsheba. Great to see it's as dark as I imagined as I don't think a bright red would suit at all. Yours are all beautiful. Good luck on your Crimson Glory. I have the climber and have decided I need the bush form this year. It's fragrance is sublime and the flower is exquisite. It's become another creature since going in the ground last year and putting on some roots. I think along with Cl.Clothilde Soupert, it's my favourite rose. Please continue posting updates on these roses. You have all the classics!!!!

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

I LOVED!!! looking through this thread! There are too many to comment on, but oh my!!!

• erasmus_gw
    3 years ago

That's as pretty as I've ever seen Red Cascade. Agree about how long lasting Lavaglut is on the plant. Here's my plant this spring:

Heathcliff has been having huge, beautiful blooms this spring in its second year:

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Erasmus - What a fabulous RED on your Red Cascade!!!! Your garden is incredible!

3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Don't you love Heathcliff.?His scent is so unusual and colour impossible for my silly phone to capture. Here are some from this year. Please click to enlarge!

Munstead Wood:

Cl. Crimson Glory:

This rose has shot to the top of my favourites since going in the ground last Summer after languishing in pot. She gave me a couple of blooms after settling in, but this Spring.... WOWZA! Her petal count has skyrocketed and fragrance stops my heart. This must be pure Damask rose. Everything about this rose says romance, but in a soft way from her velvety petals with their heavy substance to their nodding character so perfect in a climber. Also shocking was her relative cold-hardiness in are warm winter with cold early and late snaps that permanently stunted other roses. She's also hanging onto her leaves which surprises me. So many are already defoliating before they've even bloomed in this cold wet Spring. I am ordering the bush form this year. One can't have too much of this rose.

Still waiting for Valentine, Ascot and Bordeaux to bloom. Ascot has grown by leaps and bounds this Spring. That's a good thing as she must remain where she is since my lovely plant of Flameco Rosita seems to have died in her pot over the winter. There's a bit of green and live roots, so we'll see. The rain ruined Maggie, but managed to give a couple of perfect blooms.

and Darcey

just isn't quite as gorgeous this year and is also losing her leaves. This first flower was what I normally expect. One Dark Desire remains in statis and the other's blooms are riddled with botrytis. :-( This rose is very prone to that in my garden.

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    3 years ago

My Cl Crimson Glory hasn’t grown any new cane so far this year but has given several blooms.

what sort of location is yours?

it looks like what I think a rose should look like. Much prettier than most of my blooms !

• Chris Martins Zone6a Chicago
    3 years ago

Vaporvac, I can’t agree more about Crimson Glory. It is a truly wonderful, romantic rose. While I appreciate all different sorts of rose beauty and fragrance, the first time I saw a Crimson Glory bloom in person I was smitten. It somehow looked and smelled exactly how an ideal rose should. I grow both the bush and the climber—both own root and virus indexed—and both gladden my heart.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    3 years ago

Orfeo is lovely.

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Vaporvac - talk about an exquisite color on a gorgeous rose (Munstead Woods)!! Swoon!!!

Sheila - GASP!!!!! GASP!!! Where's my oxygen when I need it!?

3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

You're not exaggerating Carol! Sheila, I think you grow every rose that on my long-term list. That belongs to the all-time great pictures on the gardenweb. Magnificent. Carol, munstead Wood has look like that for a couple of weeks now. It was my first rose to bloom and even the rain can't ruin it. It decided it wanted to do something this year but only one of my plants. I don't know what's happening with the other one it's always that way everything in one bed does perfectly the mirror bed is just an H A attempt at imitation.

• Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    3 years ago

Shelia, WOW! Orfeo is amazing!

• erasmus_gw
    3 years ago

RoseCanadian, thank you, but that's Lavaglut in the picture. I have a little Red Cascade growing in an urn.

I am put to shame by your Orfeo, Sheila. I had an Orfeo plant right next ot my front door and it might put out two blooms per year despite having some size to the plant. It was blackspot resistant, the blooms were gorgeous, a beautiful form and so fragrant. But I was mad at the plant for being so stingy. I thought about asking if anyone had a good Orfeo plant but I didn't, and I yanked out my plant this spring and planted a couple of clematis. So that shows me....obviously it's a good bloomer for some of us. Mine didn't 'get enough sun.

My Orfeo:

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    3 years ago

Erasmus, I have a second one in less sun and it looks like this. Yours was gorgeous.

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Vaporvac - really? A couple of weeks...that's pretty awesome! I tried to grow MW once...it's gone now. LOL If only it had looked like yours! :)

Erasmus - oh...that's lavaglut...man it's like Snow White's lips red!!!!

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    3 years ago

My munstead woods are going into their second major flush.

not as dark this time around.

3 years ago

Ingrid Bergman, whoo hooo!

And yes she smells yummy!

3 years ago

Ingrid Bergman, whoo hooo!

And yes she smells yummy!

• Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    3 years ago

I love red roses! Here is Valentine and the mini, Gigi.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Love seeing all the beautiful reds! Kristine, your Ingrid Bergman looks great! Here’s a bloom from mine this morning. It’s sure a beautiful red. Mine seems to be doing good, it’s setting on more buds.

3 years ago

Beautiful post. JC, my MW also shows that colour usually for her first flush, but not this year. It must be the cool cloudy spring. Stephanie, please show more Valentine. I have a little one transplanted late last Fall after letting it languish in a poor setting and am anxiously awaiting its bloom.

• totoro z7b Md
    3 years ago

Tess

• totoro z7b Md
    3 years ago

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Tess is gorgeous, totoro!

3 years ago

You captured that color very well. Lovely.

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Stephanie...I've never seen a bush shot of Gigi...and I'm sooo enamored with it!!! Wowza!

Kristine - that's a lot of blooms on your IB! What a rose!

Merlena - that close up bloom is marvelous! Great photography!

Totoro - mmmmm....that's a lovely rose!!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES