Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bac717gw

Need opinions on window treatments for new windows

bac717
4 years ago

In November, we had new windows installed and still have nothing on these new windows in the living room. I am considering using some type of woven shade, but am concerned about the projection and amount of stacking we might have, depending on the kind of shade. There is about 2 1/4" of depth for an inside mount and the inside measurement for the height is 69". The windows on the far right and far left are casements. The other two are fixed. If we used some kind of woven shade, would you use 1) 2 equal sized shades, 2) a larger shade for the two middle windows and a smaller shade on the right and left or 3) 4 equal sized shades? The total inside width for the 4 windows is 121". Thanks for your help.

One other note - we will probably not be keeping the sofa in front of the window.

Comments (8)

• bac717
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Before we replaced the windows, we had 3 fixed windows there with HD Silhouettes and stationary panels. I'm not sure I would open and close panels much at all and think I would prefer the light filtering option of some kind of woven shade. Maybe something like this, but more light filtering like the second picture, but with out the "stripes".

I'm mainly trying to decide how many shades to use at the 4 windows.

• shadylady2u
    4 years ago

I would use either one wide shade or four shades. Two or three is not correct.

bac717 thanked shadylady2u
  • bac717
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The space is 1" too large for one wide shade, but I think that would end up being kinda heavy anyway. I am leaning toward four shades, but DH feels 2 would be better. He says it will look the same from the outside with 2 or 4, but I don't think I'd like seeing a gap in only the middle from the inside when there are 4 windows.

• shadylady2u
    4 years ago

They'll look the same from the outside when they're down, but when they're up, it would be noticeable since they won't be totally hidden when all the way up.

Perhaps if the windows were very narrow, two would look okay, but at 30" a window, I really think four would look nicest. I just don't think two will look quite right.

bac717 thanked shadylady2u
  • niecie
    4 years ago

Definitely 4 shades.

bac717 thanked niecie
  • PRO
    Fenstermann LLC
    4 years ago

Hey There:

Your windows are perfect for narrow depth bottom up top down honeycomb shades. You will have 4 shades that will keep the look of the window including the trim. So inside mount installation is the way to go. The shades are only 1 inch in depth with not strings across the glass nor a fixed header...

There are 170 fabrics available to compliment your colors and design.

bac717 thanked Fenstermann LLC
  • PRO
    Gordon's Window Decor
    4 years ago

The more shades the more options you have for light/privacy control. I would recommend 4. Woven woods do create a lot of stack when up. So you lose much of your window.

EcoSmart Cellular Shades, are energy efficient, low profile(when not in use, you BARELY see them) Below are shades paired with drapery, which can soften the look.

The drapery can be stationary panels instead of full operational drapery, which could be difficult with your sofa.

EcoSmart Cellular shades · More Info