sherrygirl5

F daylilies 2020

sherrygirl zone5 N il
last modified: January 10, 2020

It’s time to see your F daylilies, I have several. Two have been I’m my garden for a long time, the rest are fairly new, have a couple that haven’t bloomed yet. The quote for the day: “My New Year resolution: Complete the resolution I set in 2019, that were actually from 2018, passed down from 2017, originally from 2016, actually set in 2015, that all began in 2014, but truly started in 2013.......”.

Final Touch with a nice poly bloom.

Flutterbye has been A good performer.

The following are all new to the garden.

Sherry

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)

Your saying brought a chuckle to me. I've heard of Heirloom daylilies, now there are Heirloom New Years resolutions too.............Final Touch grabs my attention. What a bright pink. Forever Redeemed is my next favorite. Fernstone always seems to look good. A very nice group Sherry..........No F's for me, so I'll just continue to watch the show........Maryl

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
  • Nancy 6b

Great photo of Fernstone, and I have always liked the look of Forever Redeemed.

I think my pictures must be deleting themselves. I absolutely know I have looked at pictures of Fancy Face that really showed the color better,

Final Destination, not a good photo of it either with the sun reflecting on it

Firestorm

Fitzasaurus, I like the red on this one, and it seems to be doing well

Flamboyant Diva

Flash force, a smallish but dependable little daylily

Fooled Me

Forty Days and Forty Nights

Fox Point, not as bright and pretty as some, but such a hard worker and nice height for me

Francois Verhart

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Nancy 6b

Need help for my dark foyer Victorian era foyer.

Amen, Old House Guy!!! (I enjoy your blog by the way and refer to it frequently for our 1880's restoration) ~ I've said exactly this thousands of times ~ people like this should NOT BE ALLOWED TO OWN HISTORIC PROPERTIES! Please for the love of Pete, leave them to those of us who are loving stewards of these homes to be passed on to posterity, RESPONSIBLY!!!

Rug help!!

The rug at an angle is a great idea. I have done that and it works well if you don't want to spend the money for a larger one. I personally really like the pattern and color of the existing rug, but would get rid of the blinds right away. That would really change the look of the room.

POLL: Dishwasher or Hand Wash?

to the people saying dishwasher do not save time bc you have to pre-rinse- that may have been true a long time ago, but not anymore! in fact, my new whirlpool dishwasher instructions specifically said NOT to prerinse. It actually is better if you dont. if all the dishes are pretty much clean to start thats how they get etched and dull! We dont rinse beforehand and even caked on spaghetti sauce comes off no problem. I also put my china in it and trust it with those pieces too! theyve also come along way in design. somehow our old one had to be run every day or every other day, this one with the same overall dimensions runs just twice a week. I also love that it can sterilize all our bottle parts.

Front Porch Curb Appeal

I would suggest you paint the foundation of the house and the risers and sides of the steps white to match the siding. Then, I would suggest you paint the porch floor and treads of the steps a green that harmonizes with the roofing shingles. I would suggest an even lighter green for the porch ceiling. Your windows are nice and fairly symmetrical, so I would suggest you remove the awnings and add shutters that are a slightly darker or brighter green than the shade you choose for the porch floor. Nothing sets off a green and white color scheme like red in the landscaping. You might add fire bushes for red color in the fall, evergreen holly for red berries in the winter, and red potted geraniums, petunias, monarda, and keys of heaven for red color in the spring and summer. If there is room in the yard, you might add crimson king maple trees, purple leaf plum trees, and purple-leaf sand cherry shrubs. Carolina allspice that blooms cranberry-colored flowers most of the summer and fall also could be a good choice for a shrub.
  • Nancy 6b

Continued

Frankly Scarlet, not a big flower or fancy, but lots of blooms

Freedom's Triumph shows up more purple for Celeste of course, but I love this one

Future Design

Frans Hals of course

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Nancy 6b
  • signet_gw(6b)

This is Fiji Mermaid

Fireblast is much more red in the garden , for some reason when I take a picture the camera sees pink If you were to look at the images on NGA for this plant it seems that is quite common however there is one image posted by someone named Calif_Sue that shows a more accurate image of the color that I see in my garden when this plant blooms

Fizziwig was new this past season . It put out 3 blooms all told which was fantastic considering I wasn't expecting to see any blooms at all. It is one of 3 striped daylilies that I grow here . The other two are Pink Stripes and a seedling so they are kinda special to me.

This is Free Burma from a Canadian Hybridizer Nancy Oakes , I believe she has retired from daylilies sales due to her health so I am guessing not many down south would have it .

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked signet_gw(6b)
  • signet_gw(6b)

I think everyone has this one . an oldie but a goodie. I have a really nice seedling out of Frans.

This is Froot Loops . It has very subtle orange/apricot tones overlaid on a yellow bloom .

This is Fox Ears by Ned Roberts . Many of his earlier cultivars do well here . However at some point in the 2000's he moved from Colorado to Florida and the cultivars that came from that area don't seem to do well at all here . I have lost several of the later cultivars.

And finally Flying Trapeze . This one is definitely one of my suitcase daylilies . I remember seeing it bloom for the first time . I am no fainting lily but this one absolutely took my breath away .

• signet_gw(6b)

Here is Forbidden Desires

Forestlake Raggamuffin is not particularly prolific here but OH MY ! the color is so delicious.

Frankie's Fantasy is one I have had for a long time .

This is Fuschia Four .......always a poly bloom on this one .

• Brad KY 6b

Sherry, you have an exceptional group of Fs. Nancy and Heather, you have some nice ones too.

Fairy Tale Pink

Fiordiligi

Flutterbye

Forsysth Flying Dragon

Franklin Edward League, a Munson

Full Grown

Fuchsia Dream

That's all for me

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Brad KY 6b
  • sherrygirl zone5 N il

Heather, one of my favorites is Forty Days and Forty Nights. I’m intrigued by Fuschia Four, and a nice green throat.

Brad, thanks for sharing Fioridiligi, I love it but know I’ll never remember how to spell it!

Nancy, I like Future Design. I’ve added a few doubles here, I’m liking them more and more

Sherry

• signet_gw(6b)

Fuss and Bother growing in too much shade .

Here is Florida Garden Light

family portrait is the bluish colored bloom

Another great photo of Flying Trapeze

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada

Wow what a great start Sherry. I have never seen Final Touch poly here. First time for you? I so like them all but Fancy Buttons is very nice.

Nancy Future Design really stood out today.

Heather I am caught between Fiji Mermaid and Flying Trapeze.

Brad love your & Sherry's Flutterbye but my favorite is Fairy Tale Pink.

Final Touch in a pot because the one in the garden was pitiful this year.

flava

Frans Hals

Free Wheelin has not increased as much as I had hoped.

I know fulva is almost a sacrilege here but I still appreciate the flowers close up. Not the best pic though, too much sun.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
  • lilykate7a

Sitting here in the middle of these Southern storms so I don’t know if these will load. Working from my phone today. I will try to post first and comment on others later. (But, Brad, I do love that photo of Flutterbye!)

Farmer’s Daughter-an oldie I adore for its long blooming period, bud building capacity, and clear pink color

Let’s see if these load before I try others

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked lilykate7a
  • shive

The F's certainly are a photogenic bunch. There are too many I like to name favorites on this letter.

Faberge Easter

Faith That Moves Mountains

Feathered Fingers

Fighting Fire

Final Touch

Flash of Mischief

Forever Redeemed

Forty Days and Forty NIghts

Freedom of Expression

From This Moment On

Debra

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked shive
  • signet_gw(6b)

Flutterby is an oldie that I have had for years.

Frankie's Fantasy

• lilykate7a

Now maybe a few more!

Fear Not- not the best photo but I selected this one because this lily was a workhorse last summer. This is a blasted scape which you can see in the middle. Every bud bloomed in that scape with only a sliver of green scape left. These blooms are actually lying on the ground!

Enough for now. Difficulty posting these

• signet_gw(6b)

Sherry , Fernstone and Forever Redeemed are the ones that grabbed my attention today

Nancy 6b your Flamboyant Diva is so very pretty .

Brad, your Flutterbye is Gorgeous!

Lilykate your Farmer's Daughter is sooooo delicate . Love it ! Had not seen or heard of that one before ! Just lovely .

Debra Faberge Easter and Fighting Fire are beautiful , so lush looking and how the heck did y you manage to post 10 images in one post !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG you folks are such enablers ......I am adding to my list all the time it seems.

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

Laurie, love that huge clump of flava!

Kate , I’ve been tempted to add your F Flaming Snow, it’s a beauty.

Debra, my fave today is Feathered Fingers, love it, not sure I remember you posting it before.

so many beauties today!

Sherry

• lilykate7a

After resolving to use my “like” more, it seems not to be working! Probably rusty!!! Sherry, your Final Touch has such a nice color. Nancy, you have some pretty ones-Freedom’s Triumph is a good color. Heather, so many of yours call to me but the color on Flying Trapeze is wonderful! Is that a fairly close depiction? And Debra, you know Fighting Fire always pulls me in. And love the color of Flash of Mischief. Oh and I can appreciate fulva also as long as they are far away, far, far, far away! :)

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)

Fabulous F's!

Here are a few of ours.

I like the colors of Fearfully and Wonderfully Made.

Feeling Thorny has done well for a southern bred daylily.

Fireberry is relatively new so I don't know how it will eventually perform.

Flameburst is not one of my favorites but it starts blooming when little else is.

Forestlake Becky is a better grower than Forestlake Ragamuffin, but it doesn't have the color or as much of an edge.

Forestlake Briar Patch's flower is one the small side, but it has nice height scapes.

Forestlake Laura Lee Harding is a great grower in our garden.

Forestlake Pleats for Laura is too new to see how it will eventually perform.

More to come . . .

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
  • hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)

Forever Rosemary is a little more on the coral rose side than this picture shows.

Forever the Optimist is one of our Canadian acquisitions that has really thrilled us. It was actually a bonus plant. Lucky us!

Fulvous Brush Man is an offspring of Autumn Minaret. It is also late blooming but not as tall as Autumn Minaret.

That's all for me.

Nancy

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

Nancy, nice off spring from Autumn Minaret. Don’t know if you saw my comment on the A post, the bees here can’t set pods on AM, go figure. I love the Forestlake Pleats, what an edge!

Sherry

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)

All of the F's so far are very pretty. Just to mention a few for brevity's sake: Brad: Franklin Edward League is that lavender color that I seem to be growing more fond of every year. Love the washed eye on it.........Nancy: Flamboyent Diva has the edges that I like so much. That goes to Nan too for Forever Optimist...........Peren: Don't bad mouth Fulva. I like it. I am pretty sure that's what most landscape and private suburban gardens have around here, and when it produces those tall sturdy scapes loaded with orange flowers later in the season, I think it's very pretty............Debra: I'm not into eyed daylilies for my own garden ( I like them in others though), but the patterned ones liked Faberge Egg make me drool. Maybe one of these days.......Maryl

• signet_gw(6b)

Laurie , I somehow missed your post . Glad I went back over the whole page .......your Free Wheelin' is wonderful . That is one I have wanted for years but somehow have never managed to add it here but what I am getting from your post is that it is a slow increaser? Too bad it doesn't have the robust increase that Fulva does. I may just have to add it anyway as like I said it was one I have had on my list for forever it seems

Lilykate , yes , I noticed the like button wasn't working yesterday when I went to use it for another page's posts .

• celeste

signet, just my experience but Free Wheelin' was given away because of it's lack of increase in my garden. It never liked my winters, I guess. I kept it for years because I love the look of those enormous blooms but after 8 or 9 years it only increased from 2 to 3 fans so it went south.

FREE WHEELIN', it's last year in my garden

FE FI FOE FUM

FORSYTH SUMMER SNOW

FROSTED VINTAGE RUFFLES

FREEDOM'S TRIUMPH

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked celeste
  • celeste

FRANK'S STAR OF BETHLEHEM

FANCY FINISH

FORSYTH FLAMING SNOW

FORSYTH FLYING DRAGON

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked celeste
  • celeste

FOREVER REDEEMED

FORESTLAKE RAGAMUFFIN

FLAMING WILDFIRE

FUCHSIA DREAM

FLAMING FLAMINGO

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked celeste
  • celeste

FINISH WITH A FLOURISH

FORTRESS OF SOLITUDE

FLUTTERBYE

FINAL EPISODE

FROZEN MARGARITA

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked celeste
  • celeste

FEMME DE JOIE

FIRES OF VARANASI

FALLEN LEAVES

FORSYTH VIVACIOUS

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked celeste
  • peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada

Heather you will probably have a much better experience with Free Wheelin than Celeste or I. My Canadian 5a is pretty much equal to US zone 4 or 4b.

I see so many here that would very likely not perform well for me. My chances are much better if they work for Sherry or Celeste. If you grew it you could show it's true potential and I would be impressed...and sad lol.

• shive

Free Wheelin' never performed well for me and was always much shorter than it should be. I divided and sold my clump last fall.

Celeste - Frozen Magarita is looking lovely for you - more pink than peach in your climate. I don't think I photographed it here last year.

Debra

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked shive
  • sherrygirl zone5 N il

Celeste, Frozen Margarita caught my eye today, love the simplicity of this bloom. It’s interesting to know it is more pink for you than Debra.

I added Free Wheelin here last spring. It looks like I might be disappointed. Will be interesting to see how it does here.

Sherry

• signet_gw(6b)

Ha, Just looked up Free Wheelin's hybridizer . It is a Stamile and Stamiles don't do well here either especially EV's . So maybe I need to look for a look-a-like that has more chance of doing well here .

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)

Free Wheelin' has survived here, but like Debra said, it doesn't get to the registered height and it doesn't increase much.

Nancy

• Brad KY 6b

Nancy, I really like your bonus plant, Forever the Optimist. There are so many exceptional Fs. Celeste, Frank's Star of Bethlehem is very pretty. And I actually think that our Flutterbye and Fuchsia Dream are about the same color!

Forever Redeemed is a bright cheery one for everyone who posted it.

Brad

• Nancy 6b

I see so many daylilies I love. I want them all! Celeste, your Star of Bethlehem grabs my attention every time i see it. I like Forever Redeemed too, but I like so many of these.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Nancy 6b
  • Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)

Celeste: It goes without saying how beautiful your purples are, but for me, I liked the oranges. Such vivid deep orange in your climate. Would really make the rest of the daylilies pop............Maryl

• lilykate7a

Nancy, I grow Frank’s Star of Bethlehem. Of course, the purple is not as intense as Celeste’s. I could not find a photo from this year to post. The blooms are always gorgeous but it tends to bloom in the foliage so I often overlook it. I think I remember someone else talking about this trait. Celeste probably does not have that problem as her lilies seem to bound out of the ground!! Her photo is beautiful of it with that lovely color.

• lilykate7a

I went back and looked at pictures and found this one of Frank's Star of Bethlehem from 2017. Apparently, that was the last time I actually stopped to photograph it! It shows how low the blooms are in the foliage but the color is pretty good although still not the deep color Celeste gets and the blooms themselves are really pretty when they have room to open!

• Nancy 6b

Thanks Kate for that photo. Still very pretty, but looks like other daylilies out there, sigh. I will just admire Celeste's pics. What I would give for her soil!

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Nancy 6b
  • Brad KY 6b

Sherry, I forgot to say that this quote is so excellent!