krisbry

IKEA experts - any upcoming PAX sales?

Kristin S
10 months ago

We're building a new house and planning to use IKEA's PAX system for several closets. I'd love to get the PAX in before the carpet, if possible. And I'd also love to be able to take advantage of a sale, since we're buying three walk-in closets worth.

Do any of the IKEA aficionados know if there are PAX sales upcoming? It looks like last year they had one at this time, but nothing so far this year.

Thank you!

Comments (37)

• A S
    10 months ago

Have you considered a custom closet company? We were shocked at how affordable they were in comparison to Pax, on sale, and how perfect for our closets the custom work would be.

That said pax normally goes on sale once a season

• Kristin S
    Original Author
    10 months ago

We want drawers, which really raises the price on closets for our local custom closet companies, and also takes it outside the scope of our finish carpenter, which would otherwise be the most cost effective option (and he does beautiful closets, just not drawers).

• Related Discussions

Opinions: IKEA PAX - Frame + Colors Help!

Q

Comments (2)
    Wondering if you're still out there, what you decided on? I'm having a very similar situation.
    ...See More

Feedback from Ikea kitchen cabinet buyers

Q

Comments (37)
    Hi Stephanie, In a frameless line IKEA is fine and quite reasonable. However all frameless lines are less durable and easier to damage beyond repair than the inexpensive framed lines that now exist. And IKEA designers are at the bottom of the kitchen design ladder. Below a Lowes or Home Depot designer on average for kitchen design experience. Customers also are more likely to design an IKEA kitchen themselves - another problem in the making. . There is no sensible argument from anyone equating the durability of a particleboard IKEA cabinet with a well made plywood framed cabinet. To do so would show a lack of knowledge of our industry. However if you want a contemporary slab door on a modern kitchen you will likely need to be in a frameless line. And since the expensive plywood and plywood core frameless brands only increase the construction value of a frameless cabinet to a small degree getting IKEA can make sense! Just don't get a shaker door or other non slab door style and think you are saving money and getting the best constructed product for the money. . Of course the ability of the kitchen designer is the completely undervalued part of the equation. And unfortunately being a CKD only means you aren't a terrible kitchen designer, it doesn't make you a good one. . In general the best kitchen designers I have met are very smart people with great spatial relations skills and many years experience in kitchen design and construction. Some are CKD's, some are not. All are good at educating their customers and defending good design principles. And some of the worst designers I have met are on the NKBA talking circuit spreading bad advice like the flu.
    ...See More

Am I crazy for considering ikea cabinet???

Q

Comments (116)
    Thank-you! It's polarizing, like all interior design, some find it too clinical and modern, others love the simple straight lines etc.. I have to say i like that you have one surface to wipe down and those flat surfaces without detailing are very easy to wipe clean - and drawers instead of doors - once you go drawers you can never go back to those difficult to access cupboard spaces....
    ...See More

ikea + semihandmade - the good, bad and ugly

Q

Comments (36)
    Green Design: "IKEA makes very very few cabinet sizes. There are no 21” cabinets." Not true. no matter how many times you repeat it. And you've been told many times before. So you do know. No excuse. Anyway, the OP said above, that she has a plan with minimal fillers only. So why this need to repeat the same old same old, which you know full well is not even the truth?
    ...See More
  • A S
    10 months ago

If you google IKEA bedroom event I think pax is a part of that. You can see in past years how often it was

• lyfia
    10 months ago

There just were one a few weeks ago or at least for IKEA family members

• Trish Walter
    10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago
  • julieste
    10 months ago

This is IKEA Canada.

• A S
    10 months ago

I live in Canada works for me! Do we know where Kristin lives?

• Trish Walter
    10 months ago

Didn't see Canada but glad could help A S.

Last year there was one in March in US.

• Junk*Salvation
    10 months ago

I am waiting for one right now as well. I was thinking early spring. Sure hope I didn't already miss it! I have majority of our closets already planned out & saved in their design program but will probably tweak it a little after visiting IKEA over Thanksgiving break. I liked a couple drawer solutions better in person compared to some I had selected.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    10 months ago

I love Pax it has an amazing selection of storage solutions for a decent price . I had a client who insisted on custom closet for her reno it was nice but her daughter went the Pax route for 3/4 of the price and so much better storage in the same space. Now my client is trying to make some of those solutions work in her closets. The whole Pax line is available in Canada on the storage sale so I am sure the same will apply to the US site

• Kristin S
    Original Author
    10 months ago

I'm in the PNW, so the Canadian sale doesn't apply to me, and it's always worth asking if they'll honor it here, or it's coming up sometime soon.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 months ago

If it is just that your carpenter doesn't build drawers, there are several on-line sources for drawer boxes - might or might not be cost effective for you.

• A S
    10 months ago

Now all I’m seeing is ads from Ikea on my social media broadcasting the storage event sale. Creepy!

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 months ago

Oh yeah, facebook and msn are very efficient at gathering up such clues to our shopping. I had posted here about finding a particular drawer pull, that I had searched for to no avail (I didn't know the manufacturer or model). Within minutes of my posting the picture, it showed up on one of my feeds complete with a source to purchase -- worked to my advantage in that case!

• Jazz Lover
    10 months ago

Instead of custom closet systems, we have bought a piece of furniture(with all drawers) and are having our trim carpenter build around it to make it all look sort of custom. Our closet is huge and would have cost a small fortune w closet systems. We are still in construction or I’d send pics. The furniture is white with a rich wood grain accent on fronts so it will look like a focal accent piece as well and not just boring white shelves and cubby holes. Another friend did a rich black chest of drawers and then all white shelving around. It looked awesome as well and didn’t break the bank. Just another idea.

• Junk*Salvation
    10 months ago

Ok, both times I have seen a sale mentioned here, I went and added my closet design to my cart & it is not reflecting any sale of any sort. So, I signed up for a family account but there is no mention of a PAX sale. Only seeing a countertop sale. I don't have to order right now so it is fine. But, sometime between April-May, I would like to order our closet systems. My location is Texas, USA

• One Devoted Dame
    10 months ago

I'm in Texas, too... Central... What the heck??? Here's a screenshot I just pulled like 30 seconds ago:

I wonder if it's store-location specific? :-/

• Susan S
    10 months ago

I live in PA, I got the same email, and I can see the sale when I log on to the website and go to the PAX page. That's very strange that you can't see it. If it's store specific, maybe changing your store will help?

• lyfia
    10 months ago

Note it is a sale for only IKEA family members so you need to add your IKEA Family number before you'd see any savings.

• tsjmjh
    10 months ago

I just looked at PAX on Ikea website and it has "Family Price" which looks to be about 10% off. I'm sure Ikea knows my location/isp which is why I see it. (DC Metro)

I was going to suggest Elfa (Container Store) but not sure how the cost compares to PAX. I did two reach-in closets - the standard 6' long - last year for around $2400, which included installation, during the 30% sale which is going on right now. I think the Container Store has a new line now in addition to Elfa but I don't think it's any less.

So far, it's been great - soooooo much better than the long pole with wire rack above it. I hate wire shelving in closets. Lots of drawers and flat shelves. Do you have someone to install the PAX pieces? Does Ikea do that? We put two 12" PAX pieces in our miniscule laundry room, one open with shelves and one with metal/glass door for mops, Bona, etc., and bolted them to the walls. They would have fallen over otherwise. If I remember correctly, the 2 PAX pieces plus door were well over $200 (not on sale).

We're very handy and could have installed the Elfa but it would have taken us far longer, with much more cursing, than the one guy that the Container Store sent. Plus, he uninstalled all old closet stuff, hauled it off, and did a bit of touch up on previous screw holes. Well worth the money to have it done in less than a day. If you have a big job, I'm sure they send more people. Installation goes on sale, too.

Disclaimer: We have a Container Store about 30-45 minutes away so trips back and forth are no big deal. You can get it all done in one appointment with the planner, if necessary.

• Trish Walter
    10 months ago

i never got the email but when i go to the website the prices show up. woo hoo.

@Junk*Salvation Are you logged into your family account? That's where the prices show up.

• Junk*Salvation
    10 months ago

Ok, it worked!!! Now, to get serious this week about getting these finalized on the layout. Do the rest of the PAX pieces usually come on sale also? (drawers, etc) If so, if I can keep it from being too confusing, I'll order just the pieces that are on sale and then order the rest once it is on sale since we have some time to deal with it all.

• Trish Walter
    10 months ago

@Junk*Salvation us too...i have so many saved...have to figure out which ones work. ha

• mvcanada
    10 months ago

Pax on sale now in Canada. Start the car!!!

• Stacy Dockstader
    10 months ago

Started today!

• Kristin S
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Gah, the planner keeps malfunctioning for me, and now it's saying it has no record of the designs I finalized earlier today. Hoping it's a glitch and they're not gone, and that maybe it starts working better as the East coasters go to sleep and there's less load?

• anujasonawane
    2 months ago

I'm on the lookout for IKEA PAX sale in Texas for 5 months now. IKEA stores were closed from March - June due to the pandemic and now that they opened, I don't see any sale on the PAX. Does anyone know the frequency of when they offer discounts? I need to get a Master closet done so it's a bigger job.

• jmon22321
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Sales? They can't even get product in. I've been waiting for my shallow drawers and pull out shelves to finish my closet for months. I understand the reality of the situation but Ikea has handled this about as poorly as could be imagined.

• Junk*Salvation
    2 months ago

@anujasonawane You'll be lucky if you can even find what you need instock in the PAX system right now! That would be my first worry, although a sale would sure be nice. I went the very first week or 2 they opened and was able to get 95% of what I needed for our large master & both kids. I went back to see if what I needed was back instock & SO much of the PAX system shelves were bare or extremely low on product. I finally just changed one of the cabinets up a little bit because the part I wanted still hasn't been restocked, & I was honesty just tired of waiting. Once things eventually settle down, I may change it to how I wanted that one cabinet to be, if they finally get the piece I need for it back instock. Best of luck to you! I agree with @jmon22321 .... IKEA has handled covid-19 horrifically compared to most other retail companies. I really expected better management during this time from such a large corporation.

• julieste
    2 months ago

I haven't been out shopping much at all but finally felt I needed to go out for some supplies and to see some things at IKEA in person.. I was just at IKEA today. Many products had labels saying temporarily unavailable, and the place just seemed barer than usual. That said, I went to my local HomeGoods yesterday, and it was much more bare. I asked a HomeGoods associate, and she told me that they hadn't been getting in any truck loads of merchandise until very recently. My daughter's refrigerator just died. There are basically no refrigerator options available for at least a month that will fit their space. I don't think the fact is that IKEA has handled all of this badly. I think that there are huge supply chain issues all across the world, and that is what is going on.

I am designing an IKEA kitchen and asked the sales associate if she knew if there would be sale coming up. She told em that there won't be any kitchen cabinet sales because they are already having enough difficulty with stocking merchandise.

• mvcanada
    2 months ago

I was also recently at Ikea and the store shelves were pretty bare. We are in Canada and I know there are severe supply chain issues for many Canadian retailers. I think Ikea and many, many other retailers are having those issues and they shouldn't be blamed for something so unforeseeable. It is not a failure to manage. Manufacturing all but shut down in many cases around the world so there is just not enough supply to meet the demand. In particular this past week, we were looking for a desk for my daughter for school. None in stock, not at Ikea, not at Staples or any of the other places I looked. With everyone working from home, there has been a run on desks and with the start of school, it just added to the demand with almost no supply.

Let's try to remember the retailers are hurting too and not play a blame game. We've all made do with what we have now for several months and we can continue to do so if it means fewer illnesses and deaths.

• Junk*Salvation
    2 months ago

@mvcanada Shop Wayfair or Overstock for a desk if you need one. I have been shopping from them with zero issues (just read reviews!).

• Junk*Salvation
    2 months ago

As for the "blame game" comment, I'll be happy to address it. IKEA has failed miserably during covid-19 and I say that due to customer service, not simply due to low stock. Try calling them. Just try. There management during this time can't even be classified as sub-par. Place an order, be given a delivery time. Call just to check on it or verify it the date. Let me know if you ever reach an actual person. It is absolutely ridiculous. I get low stock. Although, it really should be improving at this point (every store around here such as Hobby Lobby, Michaels, Tuesday Mornings, etc that had low stock issues before are near fully stocked). During all the closures, I shopped near exclusively online for awhile. Customer service has been top notch *Every* time with the exception of IKEA. They are a nightmare to deal with. In person, they are fine. But not for anything beyond that. Most companies are so thankful for your continued business during this time. IKEA doesn't seem to really care and that's a shame. I will still shop in their store in the future but never online again unless they can improve their customer service front and pick up the phone line, return emails, etc.

• julieste
    2 months ago

IKEA has always had problems (it's probably their business model) that makes contacting a real person by phone extremely difficult. This is not just due to the pandemic.

• Junk*Salvation
    2 months ago

Maybe it has just become much more noticeable now due to the pandemic I'm guessing, since most sales, for a long period this year, was done over a computer. Customers expect being able to reach someone by email, facebook, a phone call, SOMEthing. They are happy to take your money, Not so happy to answer the phone. While I absolutely love my PAX closets, had I the option to buy the same product elsewhere, I would have due to the {lack of} service.

• mvcanada
    2 months ago

Thanks Junk*Salvation for your recommendation. We are in Canada and I find Wayfair prices to be very expensive - I don't know if that is the case in the USA. Ultimately we found a desk that worked for us on Amazon. Assembled it last night- a little wonky and missing some screw holes in some pieces but it seems stable and usable and fits the need.

I haven't tried Overstock before but I will have a look assuming they ship to Canada.

BTW, still waiting for items to come back on the Ikea site. I think they are overwhelmed with back to school right now so I continue to give them the benefit of the doubt. I've never tried dealing with them over the phone so I can't speak to that experience.

Thanks again