austinkisses2008z8a

Wonderful rose garden for inspiration

austinkisses2008z8a

Maybe everyone but me is familiar with Shiuan ‘s Youtube rose garden videos but for those who are not give yourself a treat and google it. BenT even you might find additional inspiration. Those of you using a lot of pots should not miss this. So many of us are squishing too many plants in limited size gardens and this is an example of making that work to perfection. It also shows videos of some favorite roses often discussed on this site. I did not post a link as I thought Houzz would not allow. If someone is interested in the videos and cant find them I will try to post link.

• austinkisses2008z8a

it was the 2019 garden I was viewing apparently the videos go back several years.

• austinkisses2008z8a

https://youtu.be/hjiADgt2UTw

Ok now, you are all probably laughing at me because I am so late to this party:))

so here is link for others, who like me, who just discovered the videos.

Inspiration needed grey and gold

Liz, I think you mentioned that the brown chair in the corner may not get much use, so that it doesn't matter that it's not good TV viewing. I would try to make the brown chair more functional, It would be nice to watch TV from that chair also. Just a thought maybe, Is there a way you can move the brown chair at an angle and place where your ladder is? Maybe switch walls and move the ladder on the larger wall where the mirror was? Not sure if the ladder will conflict with the fireplace and TV? You've done so many changes. So much energy and a great job. Sorry for adding a new idea to the list. Great job!

Inspired by grey and gold..

Tennisanyone- now I am uncertain about the grey idea. I was originally thinking I would redo everything and got a little a head of myself. I was just liking the idea of greys but don't know if it is the right choice for me. Now that things have been moved around I like the space better and am starting to think a sectional might be a little tight in the space. I like the idea of painting over the red in dining room and painting the wall in living room. I am open to different colors, but would like to work around my camel sofa, gold curtains, and the entryway/hallway area is a goldish paint.

POLL: What's your celeb-inspired style?

CONGRATULATIONS to Luminoso Design for winning her very own pair of Houzz slippers! If you missed out on this opportunity, don't worry, you still have some time to get your comments into our Bathroom Faucets poll! https://www.houzz.com/discussions/poll-favorite-bathroom-faucet-dsvw-vd~680485

rose garden gone wild.

Check and see if there's a garden club, or rose growers club in your area. They'd love to help you salvage some roses.
  • Prettypetals_GA_7-8

Dear lord that was a beautiful garden!

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca

I would sell right now to the black market my extra kidney for “rainy blue”, it’s so beautiful!! And did anyone catch it was on a heart shaped trellis ?!

What a lovely rose !! Thanks for sharing this video!!!

• sharon2079

Now did you show us that????? It sure is beautiful.... makes me want things I can't find and can't grow...... LOL Oh, well I do NOT think I will ever get anything this beautiful.... I have been dealing with 40 MPH winds for the past week..... I am sure I will have all kinds of salt and wind damage..... GRRR..... Anyway I guess I can at least enjoy this vicariously.

• austinkisses2008z8a

Since I am working on an improved garden design the video shows me that “less is not best” in gardening as it is interiors.... live and learn, just love love love to get new incite. My garden tended to messy and out of balance when it was crammed so full. New challenge for my design talents. I think this one might go with me to the grave. “Huge smiling emoji”

• austinkisses2008z8a

.... ...and I have been debating for weeks on adding a new arch for the Lavender Crush that BenT’s pics and everyone’s post inspired. I was sure I was overdoing.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca

Oh no get that arch !! I have a 9000 sq ft lot with pool and giant driveway so basically no yard and I have 3 arches . Thinking of a fourth anchored in a whiskey barrel!!

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Yes, I agree, get an arch for Lav Crush. I just put up an arch and planted my Lav Crush in the ground with Quicksilver. I am sure it is happy to finally be out of its pot from last year lol.

I have a lot of space but not all of its sunny plus I do a lot of climbers so my chickens can't jump up and snatch the flowers off and eat them.

• sharon2079

QUESTION..... in everybody's garden do you guys get hundreds of blooms at one time..... I never have that many on my roses at a time.... and hardly ever get them to bloom all at the same time..... I wonder if it is due to my zone 10..... or the salt air...... I really wish I could have my garden loot like the video.

• austinkisses2008z8a

I did order it and after video got Quicksilver(great minds :) to go on other side , Bolero around base and a dark purple clematis to go with all. I could go broke before I complete designing this garden.... so much better when a client was paying for design ideas; this is beginning to hurt . Now I understand why everyone gets excited about plant sales.

• austinkisses2008z8a

Anyone use Rabbit Hill Farm Trails? I read it is a great spring addition and makes clematis and roses create better root system in early life of plant.

• austinkisses2008z8a

Rabbit Hill Farms Bunny Trails..

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca

Is it just mail order bunny poop? Bc it is excellent for plants if that’s what it is. My friends garden was amazing from hers. Isn’t their food alfalfa ?

Sharon , my spring flush in Tennessee was usually a show stopper. Of course some roses began before others and some roses much later but overall I loved that first flush .

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

My bunnies eat Alfalfa Pellets and Timothy Hay plus a small amt of fruits and veggies etc as treats :)

Not only can you use their bunny poo, you can worm compost (vermicompost) with their poo to get even richer compost for gardens.

Look on Craigslist some people will sell manure cheap or give away free.

Sharon, I think the person in the video might live in a cooler zone. They had the Alchymist which is a once bloomer and others so they were probably in the midst of the big spring flush when they made the tape. This is just a guess..I could be wrong.

• lkayetwvz5

I had the best compost and best roses when I had rabbit poop! Alfalfa meal or tea just doesn't replicate the original stuff run through a rabbit! Off to see the video! Love videos - I always see something I want to try!

OMG! Most of that garden is on a rooftop! With regular size clematis and hibiscus and strawberries as well! I want everything there but especially Gipsy Boy! I wish I could do pots but here they have to be at least 24"x24" and still need watering twice a day. I haven't found a pot soil yet including my own mixes that stays moist. Even the Moisture Control pellets are used up in 30 days or less.

• Nick 10bSW17

Sharon, my roses are still under 3yrs old my 10b garden, I get a good number of blooms per plant, but I'd venture to bet the reason for the massive blooming show has more to do with Shiuan's fertilizer use and consistent watering. My containers generally look better than my in-ground plants in the blooming department because I have to constantly replenish the nutrients being lost out the bottom of the pot. I add a slow-release fertilizer when I pot the plant, and then I'm using a liquid fertilizer weekly. When it comes to my main garden, I sadly don't fertilize it nearly that often and I think it shows.

Ikayetwvz5 I agree, I can't imagine the amount of time Shiuan spends watering, it looks amazing, but talk about dedication. The only way I've found to help keep my pots from drying out between watering is to have a plant nanny going 24/7. I don't like having a wine bottle tucked between plants, but it's better for me than watering 2x a day or having wilted plants if I forget to water on my way out the door.

• austinkisses2008z8a

Most pictures I post of my entire garden or of a flushing bush are from Spring or Fall. I assumed the video was from a spring flush but still, did you notice the grouping and the intermixing of roses and other plants. In one group they had one simple boxwood clipped into a ball. That item brought order to an area that needed it. Disorder can destroy you visual delight unless it is planned disorder. Video was from Gardener in Japan I think. In my humble opinion no one handles spacial design better than the Japanese.

• Nick 10bSW17

I just noticed the date of a couple of the rose videos, May. I agree it's probably the first big flush.

• austinkisses2008z8a

Yes Lilly it is rabbit poo at $3.85/ 3 qts. I had 10 bags in my cart until I got the shipping cost. Think I will search locally first, prefer bagged products. Dallas has some garden centers specializing in organics.
    Those that use rabbit poo how much do you put per bush? I use Mills, alfalfa, and epson in Feb. Don’t want to overdo. I used chicken poo in Houston but boy did it stick and my dogs cannot leave it be.

• austinkisses2008z8a

You haven’t lived until your 86 lb dog throws up a huge pile of chicken poo and compost at 2 in the morning on your pale bedrm rug.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca

Oh my goodness Austin .. yuck .... dogs are wonderful and gross at the same time . I see some people on Etsy are selling bunny poop really cheap ! I’m going to order some . I put on next door app also that I’m looking for some too.

• oursteelers 8B PNW

Yep. This is why I don’t use poop....my labs would be in heaven! My plants will just have to get by with leafy compost.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

If its in the ground, I just throw a few shovelfuls on. If its in a pot maybe a half a shovelful. Bunny poo doesn't have to be composted so it wont burn. Same for goat poo. If you just planted your rose, I would wait a month just to be on the safe side before any fertilzer.

• The Right Roses

This is also a wonderful rose garden in Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBsnY_W4RAo

• sharon2079

more questions..... this time sultry about goat poop..... it does'nt have to be composted?

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL

I hadn't seen these videos, so many thanks for the links!

Since adopting my rabbits, I’ve been reading up on all their habits...they are super sweet and cute, but these guys living with us are working bunnies, thank you very much!

They ferment the alfalfa, grass and veggies in their digestive systems, and then dispense this microbial-rich fertilizer in convenient-to-spread bunny berries. (So now I don’t have to mess with all that stinky alfalfa tea.)

I’ll keep you posted on how the fertilizing team is doing on rose feeding . Got to help this sad gray sand somehow! :-)

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Goat manure is pelleted like bunny manure and can be directly applied to decorative plants without it burning. If your goats are healthy it shouldnt be a problem. We used to have goats and I am getting them again this spring. I never had a problem directly applying goat or bunny pellets to ornamentals.

Some sources suggest composting any kind of manure before adding to vegetable/edible gardens. Cow, swine, chicken, and horse are manures that can burn roots and are typically composted.

That said, I know many gardeners who use fresh horse manure on roses and other plants and swear by it. I have done it but only on mature in-ground roses.

You can go ahead and compost your goat or bunny manure if you are worried about it or just want a rich compost pile or vermicompost etc.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

For more of the Kawata garden - https://www.instagram.com/masakazu.kawata/. He (she?) has been humble enough to show the garden in winter. Scroll left through the first 3 photos. The amount of pruning makes my head spin.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Perma, you have another rabbit now, besides the one that hopped into your yard?

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL

Umm...yes...I decided he needed some friends. :-)

I rescued and bought at the same time, so at the moment, six mini Rex and a possible Lionhead-Mini Rex mix. I’ve been building a bunny hutch right next to chicken coop. I’m in real bad.

My plan is to take some of them to school for our 4H club, where we’ll do some breeding. :-)

• michluvroses

Two of my tea roses were eaten by some wild rabbits, only 1 inch left .

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL

I still can’t like anyone’s posts on my phone. :-(

I’m researching right now which Climber will do best to grow on top of my bunny hutch. These videos are giving me a creative inspiration overload!! :-)

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Lol!!! Wow when you're in, you're really in haha. Just wait till they all start having babies. I think you will have plenty of fertilizer. It will be fun for the kids though.

I started with 2 but then the lady I bought them from said she would throw in a plain looking brown female bunny for free, if I bought the other two..so it wouldn't be *lonely* Well, that brown bunny was preggo, unknown to me, so that's how it all got started.

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL

I’m sorry to hear that, mich...they do love the flavor of roses. Hopefully your roses will regrow for you!

Sultry, it sounds very familiar, since I got talked into the “lonely” deal too. So far, they aren’t bonding or breeding, but it’s only been a few weeks. I’ll keep working on it. :-)

• austinkisses2008z8a

Although I live in the heart of Dallas I seem to have acquired a couple of wild bunnies living and breeding under my tall deck. I had been cursing them as they ate all my fall planted snaps (several flats) to ground not long after I planted. Guess I better start thanking them instead and requesting they take bathroom breaks near the roses. I also have 2 raccoons that walk my fence line. Neighbors took a videos of a coyote and what looked like a bobcat a short block away. Because we invaded their domain best we learn to live with them. Pretty sure my large dog would just try to make friends with the coyote and bobcat. He goes into play position whenever he sees bunny and whines for them to come play having gotten close enough to almost sniff nose to one baby bunny.

• austinkisses2008z8a

Ok watched the other videos thanks for sharing them guys. HOW do they do that?? I don’t care if they live with perfect dirt, in the perfect climate, in spring - those rose blooms are spaced exactly like they were painted into the perfect spot. Not that I doubt their gardening talents but do you think it is possible to doctor the videos; I saw no brown leaves or spent flowers either all is just so perfect. Still inspirational however, and full of good design and ideas.

• lkayetwvz5

First, regarding the rabbit and goat poop - as long as it's just the poop it can be put on without composting. But if you are using any material (sawdust, shavings, etc.) to catch the urine and the poop, then you should compost it for a least a month. It's the salts and ammonia in the urine that can burn tender roots and foliage. Also if you really want to be grossed out rabbits eat their poop. So it's processed twice! Maybe that's why it's so good!

I went to watch the second video which is apparently in Japan. I then ended up watching a gozillion videos from China/Japan and the result is the same. Tons of blooms and perfect gardens of every concievable type of flower. No spots, no yellows, no disease or bare canes that leaves had been removed from. Absolutely disgusting!!! I lived in Japan for a year in Nagasaki. It had the worst heat and humidity I can remember! Almost like....well here in West Virginia!!

Oh and my love affair with Gipsy Boy as stated above? Research shows It only blooms on old wood which means it is being grown in a mild climate. Here I would probably never see a flower.

austinkisses2008z8a thanked lkayetwvz5