thornworn

Princess Charlene de Monaco....how is her black spot resistance?

Moses, Western PA., zone 5/6, USA

How would Princess Charlene de Monaco fare under no spray care in a heavy black spot pressure locale, like mine in W. Pennsylvania?

I have a very young PCdM in my garden and I spray, so I cannot say how it will do no spray, although she has been very vigorous and overall looks to be a great rose for me. I would like to recommend her to my gardening buddy for his new, no spray rose garden.

Moses

• lkayetwvz5

I was very impressed with PCdM this past year. I bought it as a very large potted rose early spring. All the catalogs said it grew 2-3' tall. The tag said 5-6' and for once I got a specimen that lived up to it's potential. It's about 7' tall now but I'm sure will be around 4' after pruning from winter. Unless we get a horrible polar vortex again. It showed very good disease resistance and I don't spray. My area is hot and humid and I also have anthracnose and cercospora. There was some very light spots from anthracnose and a little defoliation but I am glad I added this rose to my garden so far. This year might bring something totally different. Oh and it has fragrance - probably stronger than I can smell but it was what really sold me on it at the nursery.

Moses, Western PA., zone 5/6, USA thanked lkayetwvz5
  • oursteelers 8B PNW

I‘ve also only had mine a year and I don’t spray. So far I’m really impressed with this rose. Put on a ton of growth, about 6fr, list of gorgeous soft green foliage with very little discoloration. Tons of mine get black spot in the fall and I just let them go to sleep but not the Princess. I’m near Seattle and I think we would be considered fairly black spotty country?

Moses, Western PA., zone 5/6, USA thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
  • threeboxerlover DEZ7a

i am following this because I'm in DE and black spot is a real problem here. I don't spray and I ordered this rose for Spring delivery - I really can't wait. It looks so beautiful!