FOR PROS
Business tools custom-built for our industry

Say 'so long' to generic business software. Houzz Pro is designed for industry professionals like you.

jim1961_gw

WINTER is here! Seasonal thread part 3

Well for alot of us Winter has arrived! The blues can be a problem this time of the year...

So post pics, have good conversation, and just have fun to break up those blues!

Thank you all for making these seasonal threads such a success!

• titian1 10b Sydney

Diane, another book I've read two (or three?) times is 'A Suitable Boy' by Vikram Seth. It's set in India during Partition, and is a wonderful read - both on a historical and a family drama level. Have you read anything by him? He also wrote 'The Golden Gate' which is a novel in the form of a poem about yuppies in San Francisco.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

I do have a few photos of Versigny and Paul Bocuse, Diane. You've seen them before, but I'll post them. They both do pretty well here in this horrible soil. They are both French shrub roses and don't mind alkaline soil, I've been told. Neither have outstanding fragrance, but there is some. Sonia Rykiel is the one for impressive perfume. Mine came from RU, whose shipping is almost a deal breaker, but has the best selection of French roses I know of.

Your daughter has some wonderful Christmas collections. Love the Mitford snowmen. Wonder why they didn't go over well. I never heard of them except through you, so maybe they needed more advertising. But, it makes your daughter's all the more special. Jan Karon has the gift of making a character come to life.

Trish, it's heartening to hear your air quality has improved a little. Your son's observation that 'it feels like the end of time' gave me a catch in my throat. I can hardly stand to look at the pictures of the devastation and especially the animals. I read today that more than a billion animals have been lost.

What did you think of the newest Little Women? I love the 1949 remake of the 1933 version, which I don't care for. When they try to put a current day agenda into an old story, it just doesn't work for me. I trust your insight. I'm with you on Jane Austen and can read her again and again. My favorite Pride and Prejudice movie is the 1940 version, even though the costuming is not correct for the era. I just like Laurence Olivier's Mr. D.

Paul Bocuse. Deeper color and more HT looking than a typical bloom.

Paul Bocuse, slightly spent.

Versigny

Versigny

Need help to design a south facing 3 season room

You might look around on houzz at some of the screen porches . . .or perhaps you are considering a conservatory / sunroom type addition. To get a permit, you will need a design professional to stamp your plans, you might as well start with an architect - for the money it costs, he or she will save you thousands and make the entire home more liveable. There are a myriad of considerations here and it is not a diy job. good luck -

Opinions please for my sleeping porch - sunroom - 3 season porch!

Good for you for keeping your historic windows. Your curtains are beautiful. You might consider lining it with a very sheer white material that would give some protection to your blue silk fabric while still letting light in. Or you can make very lightweight “frames” to fit on each individual window to hold vinyl material that conserves heat (use UV-protective film if you like.) Then just pop them out in summer till you need them again. We did this for years at the museum where I worked; easy, cheap and surprisingly effective. They'd be just about invisible behind your curtains. I’d go with a soft warm white or cream color for the walls for that gentle homey look of your inspiration photo. White-white can be so stark. I’ve lived in several homes that had gray painted wood floors in porches and sunrooms; it must have been very popular. Just be sure you find a gray that looks right with your other colors. Your room will be lovely!

Musty 3 season cottage

I was thinking to pull the carpets NOW....to allow that space as much "air time" as possible. The concrete probably does NOT have a moisture barrier incorporated underneath (this was just starting to be "normal" for HOUSES in the later 80's....a 3 season cabin would NOT have had the moisture barrier). The vast majority of your moisture is coming from the CONCRETE. It is evaporating up THROUGH (read: into) the carpet. The carpet is holding onto much of that = moldy smelling cottage. Your friend: HEATED DRY AIR. Your enemy: cold wet air. Guess what happens in the winter? Right. Cold wet air. Rip out that carpet BEFORE you lock up for the winter. In the spring you bring the dehumidifier in a few weeks BEFORE you do any work (yes...you pay the electricity bill to do this). You can do plenty of disinfecting prior to winter (you better hurry). And then you continue with the disinfecting in the spring (I would assume the first 4-5 trips to the cabin will be cleaning, demolition, cleaning and more cleaning). A furnace that runs through the winter (set at 15 C) will help with this problem. Finding the mold and REMOVING the materials that have mold growth = the other part of the solution. The best flooring in a damp, moldy cottage? Nothing that will get rid of the problem. The PROBLEM is the moisture moving up through the slab. If you want to STOP this, you can pay some serious money to a basement/concrete/moisture mitigation company to come out and to add a professional vapour barrier to the slab....and then pour more concrete over top. In Canada, this runs about $4-$5/sf. After you have that slab sealed, you can put in ANY FLOOR you want....without worrying about mold. But you need heat (in the winter) to maintain warranty for ANY floor you install. Minimum heating requirements are needed to maintain warranty for all indoor materials (this goes for paint, carpet, flooring, cabinetry, doors, windows, etc). The amount of money/effort/time you wish to spend on this, will depend on how much you want the cottage to be 100% mold free. If you must have 100% mold free, you are looking at HUGE amounts of money (a "tear down" might be better). If 50% mold removal/reduction is what you are after, then you will have a much easier time of it....but you still have huge amounts of work ahead of you. Mold is probably behind the drywall and sitting on the studs. You won't know it until you tear down the drywall to see how bad it is. Good luck. You have several summers of working holidays in front of you.

Remodel of "3 season" room off dining room

I think you're right to consider closing up the window overlooking the other roof line. Not sure I'd waste any effort or $$ trying to replicate the trapezoidal door with a window or stained glass. In fact, I'm not sure why it has been done that way. If the roof line there is the cause of the awkward door, you might move the opening to the closet around the corner so it is accessible from the other side and can be a regular door. That will give you a solid wall at that end of the room for a piece of furniture, or maybe a TV. Agree with Jan that the French doors are way awkward and out of whack with the home's style. I would spend the money replacing them and leave the sliders as they are until your ship comes in. Perhaps a shallow cantilevered balcony all across there would make them look more purposeful. You say the room is a family gathering spot, but I don't see any comfy furniture for such a gathering. Do you have plans for that? A cozy 4-chair arrangement would be nice.
  • sara_ann-z6bok

Thank you Vaporvac.

flowers, beautiful pictures of Paul Bocuse and Versigny.

• oursteelers 8B PNW

I second the gorgeous pictures of Versigny and Paul Bocuse. They are both on my possible lists but I need to let my apricots settle in and see what’s what. I’m sure some will be unhappy or more yellow than I want so will have to moved and create some space.

Also, huge potato girl here so I think just mashed potatoes is an excellent dinner. Warm and cozy, very definition of comfort food!

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

I read everyones posts and really enjoyed, but , still can not like...I miss the like feature because I knew where I left off...Now I'm left scratching my head...lol

Nanadoll, congrats to Clare!

Lisa, thank you and I hope Millie and Sebastian continue to improve!

Thank you everyone for your support!

Nothing new here...I have a lawyer appointment Jan 22...Trying to decide whether I should just go ahead and file for divorce or wait for her to file...Will discuss with lawyer...Unless she files before I see lawyer then I will not have to worry about making that decision...

A male friend visited me the other night...I have not seen him in 20 years...Sadly he just got wiped out in a divorce...His story brought tears to my eyes! Reality then set in for me....

I feel God brought my friend to my doorstep that evening to prepare me for what was to come!...And I learned alot from my friends visit!

But for now I'm doing really good!

• sara_ann-z6bok

Jim, I’ve been wondering how you are doing. Must have been somewhat difficult to learn what your friend went through. I’m glad you’re doing good right now and wish you the best.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Pippa, a water table is exactly what I have been researching

I bet it will keep her plenty busy.

I think that this year will be a lot easier with Azalea, That is my dream anyway

Still trying to get the whole divorce/annulment figured out.

For those of you who missed

It, in the process of adopting Azalea we needed all of our divorce decrees. Well after searching high and low it turns out that I never completed my paperwork

I find that odd because 35 years ago I still had most of my wits . So after 25 years of what I thought was marriage actually wasn't. So, there may be a change of annulment for the short 4 year marriage and a continuation of current marriage

It is really just paperwork at this point and we have had a ton of that already so no biggie

I recieved seeds esterday so spring cant be too far off

Have a fabulous day friends.

• titian1 10b Sydney

flowers, I can't look at the devastation here either, especially the animals. I just close my eyes, and donate. I liked the new 'Little Women', though I agree, I did think it went a little heavy on the position of women in those days. And Aunt March would never have uttered those words about a cathouse. But I liked the liveliness of it, the costumes, the settings, the scenery, and the acting. I haven't seen the 1949 version. I'll have to watch out for it. I saw the one with Winona Ryder, and loved it too. And I find Kirsten Dunst as Amy a hard act to follow. Also I preferred Gabriel Byrne as Friedrich Bhaer.

I've not seen the Laurence Olivier P and P either. I like the BBC series best. There was one made in the 1970's which I was very loyal to, and refused for years to think the Colin Firth one was better, till I saw the 1970's one again, and wondered what I'd been going on about!

Which is your favourite Jane Austen? Though I loved both P and P, and Emma (I was in love with Mr. Knightley, still am I think), in the end, Persuasion was the book I loved best. The moment when she's tired and he helps her into his sister's carriage....

Your Paul Bocuse and Versigny are lovely, and Sara Ann, I love your Variegata di Bologna.

Lisa, Sebastien should be a cartoon character. He's gorgeous, and such personality in that face.

Sorry I have no photos. I'm not pulling my weight, but it's so dry here, there's little to see. Mme Lombard's blooms are about a third of their usual size, and there are very few of them too. Summer Memories seems unfazed though, and G. Nabonnand has 3 canes that have sprung back to around 5' and blooming their heads off, after being cut back to the graft 5 months ago.

• titian1 10b Sydney

oursteelers, I am in awe of what you are going to be taking on. Three tiny tots!

• Nola z5aWI

Boo! you guys are posting such beautiful pictures and I can't "like" anything! Your roses are beautiful and so needed on this gray day, but before you know it we'll be back in our gardens and working our tails off!

Jim, I'm sorry for what your going through and I'm sending positive thoughts and prayers your way. Things are going to work out for you and you will work your way through this situation step by step, one day at a time. Be kind to yourself and take time to enjoy the beauty around you, pictures of roses, more pictures of roses, talk of roses (lol) soon we'll be knee deep in manure and compost! And smelling the real thing! We care! :)

Trish and Flowers I got caught up in your conversation, have either of you watched "Far From the Madding Crowd" with Carrie Mulligan or "Persuasion" BBC's version? I need to read those two because I'm sure there's much more detail and character development. Persuasion was heartbreaking. Trish we've been praying for rain to put out your fires and take down the smoke. We wish you well there and admire the volunteer hours put in for the animals! Flowers, Paul Bocuse and Versigny are beautiful! I like them when they show their pink side.

Diane your granddaughters are amazingly talented! Clare seems so young to be so gifted with her art. When I saw her picture with her boyfriend (?) I thought if they stay together they will look back on that picture 40 years from now and say "We were so young!".

Lisa I hope your niece recovers quickly!

Sara Ann, I'm sorry for your loss. Some people come into our lives and we just "click" with them, isn't that the best surprise present ever?!

For all you Grandma's out there taking care of grandbabies - How do you do it? I only have one (20 months) and I barely keep up. Her little brother comes in the spring. How do you handle two? lol

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

I really liked the new LW, especially the setting and attention to detail. That's saying a lot since the Winona Ryder version is a hard one to follow. One year I read every single one of her novels until they blurred together. I guess I should revisit them. Lucky you to have read them in High School. Our reading fare was Darkness at Noon and Brothers Karamazov! both of which I've read a couple of times over the years. Titian, I ADORED 'A Suitable Boy', but haven't read any of his other works. I've been waiting in vain for his follow-up 'A Suitable Girl', but read he has writer's block. Another book I liked was A.S. Byatt's Possession. She has many works, but it was my favorite of the two I've read....Possession and Babel Tower. As a teenager I adored Durrel's Alexandrian Quartet. I reread it all a while ago and felt lucky my parents had a huge library and never paid the least bit of attention to what I read or if they did they never mentioned it. In retrospect, some the books were such mature reading. Anyway, I read a lot but none of the books mentioned here. I need to get with it!!!

In movies with a less defined happy ending, I'd encourage everyone to see Dark Waters. Besides showing off the winter grittiness of Cincinnati, it's just a great movie highlighting exceptional courage. The names are all real and I found it exceptional that the old staid corporate firm went along with the suit for so many years with no payback.

Jim, I hope you come to a decision soon and am glad to hear you're hanging in there.

• oursteelers 8B PNW

Nola, well for line I should be cleaning but while Kennedy is napping I am playing on my phone and daydreaming about the garden!

Kanin is only here Wed-Fri and Kellen will be born in April but won’t start coming until September.

The days I have two I’m tired at the end of the days but it helps on the days my arthritis isn’t having a flare up. I’m not sure what I will do when I have three...probably lose my mind!

At least we finally got a little snow to break up the monotony of winter....that’s the hardest part with lil peeps-the cabin fever!

• titian1 10b Sydney

Nola, I watched the 1971 BBC series of Persuasion on youtube not long ago. I found it rather wooden, but still enjoyable. I loved both the movies of it, with Ciarin Hinds, and then Rupert Penry-Jones (goodness what a good-looking fellow!). I saw Far from the Madding Crowd, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Carrie Mulligan has such a pretty and intriguing face too. I haven't read Thomas Hardy for decades, so I can't comment on that book (my memory has never been good), but Persuasion is well worth reading.

vaporvac, I haven't read Possession, or seen the movie. I read all of Dostoevsky in my late teens and 20's. I cried and cried over The Idiot. We had a boxer dog who licked the tears from my face. I can't remember anything about The Brothers Karamazov. I haven't read The Alexandria Quartet either. Although I did read all of Gerald Durrell's books. Vastly different from his brother's, I know! I also loved the BBC series about the family's time in Corfu. I think you would be interested to read The Golden Gate. Although it's verse, it's a romping read. I read An Equal Music (also by Vikram Seth), some years ago. I enjoyed it, but not to the point of picking it up again. If you google him, you'll find interviews, and also one of him reading a poem by him called 'Can't'. He was devastated by his partner's death some years ago. Sadly, I don't think 'A Suitable Girl' will ever see the light of day. Have you been to India? I'll look out for Dark Waters.

• Lisa Adams

Hi everyone! Trish, I’m glad to hear something, ANYTHING positive about the fires. I can’t help but notice which celebrities are donating to help Australia during this devastating time. I find myself thinking well of them, whether I enjoy their music/acting/work, or not. I hope all those fires are put out as quickly as possible (obviously), before even more losses occur. I can’t bear to see it on TV anymore either. I wonder if parts of Australia will ever be the same, and how long it will take to recover. The numbers alone are staggering! Am I correct in recalling some of these fires have been burning, basically unchecked since September?!?! It’s all so sad. Due to all the media coverage, I’m more aware of what an enormous country Australia is. I had never really given Australia’s size much thought before. The effects of this fire will surely affect the entire earth in ways I/we haven’t yet imagined. My heart goes out to you, everyone there, the helpless animals, and your entire country.

BTW, Trish, my mom saw the new “Little Women” film yesterday, too. She said she “thought it was kind of confusing”, but I don’t know how much age and English not being her native language came into play, regarding her confusion. She did read the book, but that was many years ago.

Sara Ann, I’m so sorry about the loss of your friend. Cancer is so scary, no matter what type, how far treatments have come, or who it strikes. It sounds like she’ll be missed by a great number of people.

We heard some news about my niece’s test results this morning. One of the lymph nodes removed was found to have the melanoma growing in it. She’s going to see her Dr tomorrow to discuss the immunotherapy she’ll be undergoing. The news isn’t great, but it could have been much, much worse. We are all grateful this reoccurrence was caught quite quickly. Had it gone on longer before being noticed, the cancer would likely have spread much more. We’re praying the immunotherapy will be very successful. On top of that, Sarena’s grandmother, (paternal) is now currently in the process of dying. She has Alzheimer’s and has refused to eat for the past 3 days, sleeping constantly. The timing would never be “good”, but it’s especially difficult during this already stressful time. Tante Rena, or “Aunt” Rena ( we refer to all elder loosely related family members as “Oom or Tante” which is Dutch for Uncle or Aunt), has been totally “absent” for about a year now. My niece with the melanoma is Tante Rena’s namesake, “Sa”rena. Personally, I’m thankful her suffering is nearly over, but it seems especially poignant considering recent events.

On a better note, I took Sebastian in to the vet yesterday afternoon. He was actually in far better shape than we thought. His lungs sounded perfectly clear, and his heart sounded fine. I had to decide between chest X-rays and the “complete Senior Wellness Panel” for financial reasons. (No family discount at this clinic.) Since his lungs sounded fine, I went with the Senior Wellness Panel. I did authorize a one time breathing treatment for him, and left him in the back office while they did all their “stuff” to him. I was able to leave him there with my son for a few hours, while I grocery shopped at a brand new international market located in the same parking lot. Sabby went home with me at 7pm, and had no take home meds prescribed. He was well enough to get his immunizations while there, too. The vet thought it was viral, and would go away on its own. I’m pleasantly surprised that his lungs were so clear with the coughing he’s been doing. The vet had to point out that an x-ray would rule out a tumor, which is always something to consider at his age. The Dr did say that he looked to be in remarkable shape for a purebred cat of his age,(even his teeth were remarkably good.) As long as his blood and urine tests look good, it looks like he will be around for a while. The vet had to “gush” on and on about what an amazing cat Millie is. He still can’t get over her remarkable recovery, and her incredibly outgoing personality. I loved hearing that about Millie. She’s a little lady with a huge personality and a love for all people. She’s never met a stranger, and is especially drawn to small children.

Flowers, the reason I was asking about ‘The Fairy’ is only because of my experience with her bright pink sport, ‘Lovely Fairy’. I wonder if mine will remain as happy and healthy as it has been for the past 4-5 years. I hope mine doesn’t start declining the way your ‘The Fairy’ did. Diane’s similar disappointment concerns me, since all three of us have similar alkaline clay soil. I do sometimes throw out some sulfur for the hydrangea and two hybrid musk roses in that bed, so perhaps‘Lovely Fairy’ is benefiting from the runoff. Mine gets occasional powdery mildew, but not too often. My ‘Lovely Fairy’ gets very little sun, yet blooms constantly. Even her new suckers are still blooming today.

Lovely Fairy is pinker than it looks in today’s picture, and her little pink blossoms are wonderful in bouquets. I hope mine continues to flourish, but I’m going to need to remove more of her suckers. Her prickles aren’t my favorite thing about her, that’s for sure.

I haven’t written everything I intended to, but the day is rapidly getting away from me. It takes me a very long time to write a post. It seems that some days I spend more time writing about roses and gardening than actually doing any.....I should reword that. There are quite a few days that I only write about gardening, and do zero actual gardening. That’s more accurate.

I adore the Paul B and Versigny pictures! The second to last one with the campanula is especially beautiful. What campanula is that, Flowers? I love them, but they don’t last long here. Many behave as annuals or biennials, even the perennial ones.

Have a wonderful afternoon and evening everyone! Lisa

• Nola z5aWI

Lisa, I apologize, I didn't realize there was to be more for your niece when I wrote the comment above. I wish you and your family the very best during these trying times!

Oursteelers, that is one adorable grandbaby! They bring us so much joy, don't they! I hear you about the cabin fever, I look so forward to spring and taking my grandbaby outside to visit the garden. She loves to smell the roses. I only have her one day a week, but I am tired when she leaves. They keep us young, yes?!

• sara_ann-z6bok

There’s so much to cover here, I’m not sure where to begin. Trish, I do wish Australia would get some much needed relief from what seems like an endless drought.

Hoping for the best for your niece Lisa and all of your other concerns at this time.

And thank you Lisa and Nola. I had only found out last week that she was on sick leave from work and had no idea of the seriousness of her illness. She was someone who brightened my day every time I talked to her.

I saw the new Little Women movie on January 4th. I enjoyed it, but will admit it was a little hard to follow at first. I’m not a regular movie goer, so I’m not familiar with today‘s stars, but recognized Meryl Streep right away, I’ve always enjoyed her roles, she’s a good actress. I’m a fan of older movies and am fond of the 1949 Little Women version too. My younger sister invited me, my daughter and granddaughters to go with her to see it. At first I was thinking a live performance, because the university has a new performing arts center. I thought that would have been great, to see area talent, but that was only in my imagination!

What a cute little one oursteelers!

• sara_ann-z6bok

The ”Like Button“ is working!

• oursteelers 8B PNW

YAY!!!!!!!!

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

Nola, the only Far From the Madding Crowd movie I've seen is the one with Julie Christie, mid 1960s. I thought it was hard to follow. The book is better. I don't think I've read any Thomas Hardy novels since high school. I would like to read or re-read The Mayor of Casterbridge.

Trish, I read the Jane Austen books so many years ago - high school - I can't say which I liked best. I would love to see BBC's Persuasion. I love Austen, but prefer Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre and Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights just a tad more. I like novels with a little mystery. I feel like I hold my breath through Jane Eyre because of the foreboding presence of Mr. Rochester. I just ordered A Suitable Boy. I'd better speed up my reading.

Oursteelers, I can see how cold it is by those little red cheeks and nose. How cute!! I miss grand babies. Mine are all grown up and the 2 great grand babies are many miles away in Indiana.

Jim, I agree with you that your friend showed up just when you needed him. I believe things happen for a reason. I hope you two can be a comfort and help for each other. It helps to talk to someone who's been through what you're going through.

Sara Ann, I am sorry to hear of your friend's passing. She was blessed to have had you in her life.

Lisa, I'm sorry to hear about your aunt and yes, though the timing isn't good, it's never a good time to get sad news. I hope we will soon see the day when alzheimer's as well as cancer can be defeated. Your family is going through so much uncertainty and heartache.

I've never seen Lovely Fairy except in pictures. So, yours suckers, too! That was a surprise to me. Love that vibrant color of yours. I would do exactly as you're doing by letting the hydrangea food run off in her direction. Any acid loving food should keep her happy. I wish the breeders would tell us these things - prefers acidic soil, or dislikes clay, etc. It gets expensive learning by trial and error. The campanula in the Versigny pic is Pritchard's Variety. It's 3 - 4' tall. Northland's owner fell in love with it while visiting English gardens a few years ago. She said it's everywhere over there. There is a soft pink variety, too, called Loddon Anna. I think it's available from lots of nurseries now. It is a perennial, but may be tender in your intense heat. I'll try to get some better pics this year. Such good news about Sebastian! It shows what good care you take of him.

• Kenneth zone 7A - Southern Middle TN

So its crazy this thread is so interesting ... So let me just tell you guys this about me and roses ... ROSES have been the best therapy to my depression , to my growth .. anxiety... to my fatherhood..i know sounds crazy ... I have no family literally so i always felt lost like i never fit any groups and i started gardening as a recommendation from my doctor but still i was depressed and my anxiety didn't make anything any better . I was literally lost and i hate pills and we all know how the docs love to send a script . i started gardening with other plants first non roses ( hibiscus , azaleas , hydrangeas) , omg my first roses were KNOCKOUTS (YUCKKKKKK) then i found body bags and i started with them them in 2017 and boy did i kill them all . i learned that year what not do with roses (i have clay soy) lol i was watering everyday (WATERLOG.COM) also i was feeding it bloom booster weekly . So y'all understand how i killed them ... Well that year i learned a lot so i took notes and started from ZERO 2018. So heres why I'm giving you the back story . Roses were the first thing that made sense to me ... i never had something make sense something that gave you the love that you gave it . We all know the more you love on a rose ( feed it , spray , give it cute companion plants , water , amending soil- the way i spend on my roses wish i can claim on my taxes) the more they give you its a 50 /50 relationship some we break up because there just not for us lol But Back to what roses have done for me .... with roses i have a hope to tomorrow , with roses i learned to love the simple things in life . With roses i learned to love my son ( my parents abandoned me so i never knew what love was ) I always loved my child but i didn't know how to LOVE him theres a difference . Roses have been more then just a landscape plant or garden experience it has been the best therapy i have ever had !!! Thanks for read - Sorry if its deep but i just felt like sharing my love my roses and how it started . Sorry for the grammatical errors english is my second language Puerto Rican here lol

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Kenneth thank you for sharing your story and your heart

You have found some really good and caring friends here.

You are right , there's something so therapeutic about gardening. It is my time to sing and pray and reboot.

• Deborah (10a - Sunset 24)

guess what -- I can "LIKE" again! I'll go crazy now, liking everything and typing LOL and yelling huzzah! Or I'll just press Like. I wish it was like FB where I could chose like or love or sad or angry. I guess you have to know that Like means I acknowledge your person-hood and your point of view and that I agree your roses are amazing, your babies are cutest, you're right about that no-good-so-and-so, and I'm with you in your distress, offering a tissue or glass of wine or pint of ice cream or virtual rose or virtual hug.

Kristine -- who wouldn't like "strippy" !!! I just keep picturing strippers... ;-) snert. So sorry to hear you have to go through this. Will you plan a super fun "wedding" just because you can?

Lisa -- thanks for your long post. I wish I could read your mind to know what was in the other post that you didn't submit! Maybe your sub-conscious knew better... We are due for a quick shower on Thursday. You? I agree that the rain water does magical things for seeds.

The only Fairy rose I've liked are the ones in catalogues. I found a great groundcover rose that I loved, called Baby Blanket, from Jackson & Perkins 900 years ago -- but it eventually got eaten. Not fragrant, but so sweet. I'd plant that before fairy. Yes, pillory me now! The other rose that people love that didn't work for me was Julia Child. I gave both my JCs away to neighbors, and both have amazing bushes. But she didn't like me!

Flowers -- my Koko Loco (single winter bloom) just looks better as it ages on the plant. I think the only time I'm "not sure of it" is when it firrst opens and is tan. It is novel, to be sure, but I wasn't sure I loved it. But the bud? Beautiful. And the longer open bloom? Also beautiful. And the thing is very healthy, despite being overshadowed by a huge ribbon plant. So -- I say, go Cuckoo for Koko! I read the Mitford series so long ago, and they were still coming out, and then I was in grad school -- so I don't think I finished the series! I have no idea where they are/or ended. If you find out, please let me know! I have a fun meme about a woman distraught because she read the latest book in a series in one night and now has to wait 2 years for the next one. That's totally me! Diane got me hooked on the Flavia books -- but I've only read the first 2 because I CANNOT afford more fiction while school is in session! No -- don't suggest any more, Diane!

Diane -- first, your granddaughters are so talented. Love the "broad" kitty illustration of Finn. Second, while I was resting my toesies this weekend, I watched the first 5 episodes of Doc Martin. I don't know why, but I now imagine that you must be like his Aunt Joan. I have no idea what you look like -- but her can-do spirit, down-to-earth demeanor, ability to call him out, her keen observational skills, her mastery of her garden/farm -- you seem like an Aunt Joan to me. Am I way off the mark? The frou frou rose is gorgeous! Reminds me a lot of my Carding Mill. Do you grow that one? Diane -- my grandmother and then my mother loved the Hummel figurines. Guess how many hummel tree ornaments I have now? Yep. I could open a store...

Sheila -- yes -- it's 42 at night, and high of 64. When you can't wear shoes and can only wear flip flops and must go outside -- too cold for me toes! Diane -- make potato pancakes out of your left over mashed potatoes!

Titian -- glad to hear from you. The big news over here is all the smoke, esp. with the tennis tournament going on. Hope you can breathe. I like Jane Austen. I go ga ga for LM Montgomery and still want to go to Prince Edward Island someday! Colin Firth *is* Mr. Darcy for me.

• Deborah (10a - Sunset 24)

Lisa -- just read about your niece and her aunt. When it rains it pours -- a sad, but true cliche. I hope the immunotherapy works for your niece. We keep hearing on the news what a wonderful thing it is. Fingers crossed and prayers said.

Sara Ann -- I'm glad there are people like you who notice and care about the people in their communities. Blessings on you.

Jim -- I am so sorry that you even have to contemplate "losing everything" through this divorce. Know this -- you are a good man and you will find what you need to get through this. I'm glad you have friends who can help support you through this. Do you have a pastor or chaplain or someone you trust who will just sit with you when you need it? I think pets are so helpful at times like these. They just love us and don't judge us.

Kenneth -- I'm so glad that roses give you a new lease on life. I had never thought of it quite that way -- but I think you are on to something! You should maybe write a poem! I'm glad you have something in your life that makes sense. Your English is way better than my Spanish, so good on you, Kenneth! :-)

• Deborah (10a - Sunset 24)

I got my Annie's Annuals box of plants today -- and I can't plant them yet because my toes are not able to fit into shoes yet!!! a;rlkjdls;kfjasl;dkfj!@#$!@#$!@# The new Duchesse de Brabant actually has the nerve to have 3 buds on it. It's a 4" plant!! I'll see if I can get a photo tomorrow and upload it.

• titian1 10b Sydney

Oh Kenneth, I 'm so glad you've found something - and some people - that helps you. Life can be so #%&*ing hard. I hope - dearly - that you continue to find help, both with your roses, and here.

Deborah, I would love to go to PEI one day! I once even dreamt about a lovely old house on the beach, with a swing suspended from a tree, which I was sure was on PEI.

flowers, I LOVE Jane Eyre. I love that sentence "Reader, I married him." It is what I would have written about my husband, if I had the talent. My poor daughter is now having to go through watching her friend having difficulty breathing, and although she was only 3 when her father died, she informed me yesterday, that she remembered that with her father. Kenneth, I 'blame' (thank!) you for my revealing this!

Lisa, that is such good news about Sebastien. And I do hope your lovely niece pulls though this. And yes, some of the fires have been burning since September. Despite the reports in Rupert Murdoch's newspapers, 99% of the devastation has been caused by dry lightning strikes, and the fires are also causing dry lightning strikes. I can understand your mother being confused with the LW film as it skips about in time.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

Kenneth, I wish I could put my feelings into words as beautifully as you did. You described so perfectly how our roses give us in return the love and care we put into them. Bravo that you found something that brings you joy. The wise dr. who suggested gardening must be a gardener himself. You are among friends here who understand and know the satisfaction of growing roses. To see those brown sticks of a bare root rose take root, develop into a bush and produce blooms lifts our spirits and puts a smile on our face. I think your child is fortunate to have a father who really knows how to show his love. Many people go through life never learning that. I am impressed with your English. Writing it is even harder than speaking it so I'm doubly impressed. I can't speak Spanish at all.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

Deborah, I had the same feeling about Koko Loco's blooms getting better as they open. I tend to like the full blown, almost finished blooms of most roses better than the fresh, just opened look. How frustrating to have a new box of plants and not be able to plant them. I hope your toes are getting better every day. Potato pancakes suddenly brought a flood of memories of my mother. She also loved cold mashed potato sandwiches with mustard. That's what living through the depression will do for you. Awaiting pics of Duchesse de Brabant. She sounds eager to get going.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

Trish, I had no idea your husband has been gone so long. I can't imagine how a young wife gets through such a devastating ordeal. You and Sheila have that in common. I am in awe of both of you for carrying on and raising your children as wonderfully as you have done.

It is interesting that your daughter can remember specific things similar to what her friend is going through all these years later. You are her best example of how to go on in the face of extreme pain and heart break. Another reason it is such a good thing for her to be with you right now.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Deborah, did I miss something? What's happening with your toes? Did you have surgery?

I will be having eye surgery next month and not knowing what kind of recovery time I am planning everything around pruning season lol I would like to have everything pruned and fertilized before hand. My Doctor may have his own time table for scheduling but hopefully I can get it all done.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Ok, I changed my surgery to middle of March. That will give me time to prune. Priorities

• titian1 10b Sydney

flowers, I didn't handle things then well at all, I'm afraid. My daughter is now back with her friend, but in Melbourne, so much easier for us to get together. His lungs keep filling with fluid. They're now 'gluing' them to the sides of the chest cavity, so they don't collapse when drained. The good thing is, that with the chemo, the tumour in his oesophagus has shrunk a bit, but it's still in his lymph nodes and bones. She's coping extraordinarily well with it all, and she said they managed to have an evening that was almost like old times the other day.

News is of heavy rain and hail in and around Melbourne, so this will clear the air there, and help with the fires.

Are you affected in the US by the smoke? I know it's going round the world, but I don't know if it's just in the southern hemisphere.

Well, I must get up soon, if I'm going to have a swim and a walk. Hmmmm!

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Titian, do you swim in the ocean or do you have a pool?

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

Hello Nola and Kenneth! Nice to see you posting :-) Hello everyone!

I can LIKE posts again! :-) Doesn't take much to make me happy! lol

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Enjoyed reading all the posts and looking at photos!

• Kenneth zone 7A - Southern Middle TN

Hello !! Oh my who’s that pink beauty ?

• titian1 10b Sydney

vaporvac, I swim in an ocean pool at the beach. People start swimming there before daylight!, so it's pretty busy by 6am. It's the geriatrics rehabilitation centre! Though there are some younger ones at the moment. There are only 8 lanes. Then I walk along the beach. Normally it's lovely, but the smoke has made it pretty grey since October. I'll post a photo some time. Maybe when it's less smoky.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

Trish, we all look back and think we could have done it better. Just holding it together another day is sometimes the best accomplishment we can make. It's good to hear your daughter and friend had a nice evening with each other. I'm sure they treasure every bit of normalcy they can find. He must be breathing a little easier with that tumor shrinking.

I hope the rain is where it's needed most. That ought to make a big difference in the air quality. I've read that the smoke and particles will make their way around the globe, but it hasn't affected my neck of the woods that I can tell. Our rain and snow might have an effect on that.

In stark contrast to Jim's cheery, colorful pics, here's my garden this morning.

• sara_ann-z6bok

So picturesque flowers, should be on a Christmas Card, just beautiful!

Love your pictures Jim! That rose must be Earth Song, beautiful flower too.

I've been enjoying everyone’s posts.

Kenneth, it’s good to learn more about you. I’m glad that you have found roses to be so therapeutic. You have been growing them for such a short time, and from what I've seen, you’ve apparently learned a great deal, your roses are gorgeous!

Kristine, I’m glad you’ll be able to get your pruning done before your surgery.

• oursteelers 8B PNW

flowers I think your garden looks absolutely beautiful!

• sara_ann-z6bok

I must have gremlins in my iPad. I haven’t been able to do anything on Houzz since early this morning. I turned my iPad off and back on three or four times, and it didn’t help. A few minutes ago I thought I would try one more time, and this time it worked. But that was after I sent Kristine a private message on the other rose forum. So I guess you can just ignore that message Kristine!

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Well now you have me curious Sarah Ann

Who grows Bliss? Thoughts?

• sara_ann-z6bok

I have Bliss, it was the first year for mine. It bloomed quite a bit, but I never got any good pictures. I’ve heard very good things about it from those who’ve had it longer than me. I think it’s considered a very good rose. I can tell it’s vigorous, from its performance so far. As happens with many roses that I’ve had, the first year might not be an indication of future performance. My first Poseidon bush performed horribly the first year!

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

I have so many roses coming that I am just wondering if it is a must have or it can wait another year to see how Earth Angel does

• sara_ann-z6bok

Will this be your first year to have Earth Angel, Kristine? I ordered that one, also Madame Anisette, looking forward to seeing how they do. I’m almost glad my Pom Pon Veranda got canceled, almost too much of a white, light pink, light apricot thing going on, even though they’re all gorgeous, I did get a little carried away!

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Where did you find pom pom veranda?

• sara_ann-z6bok

Vaporvac, I originally ordered it, also Madame Anisette and Earth Angel from Palatine. When they had a problem with some of their roses, Pompon Veranda was the only oneI had ordered that won’t be available this spring. Are you trying to find one?

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

It always looks so Charming. Reminds me of a little Eden. I used to ignore it when people wrote about it because I didn't realize it was the same rose that I loved cold pashmina. I have never ordered from Palatine before. They don't have them listed as a source on HMF. I wonder if anyone else secretly carries her. I've never seen Freedom Gardens have her listed.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Sara Ann, this will be year 2 with Earth Angel, still not sure how I feel about it . I think that this year will

tell . There is nothing wrong with it and it blooms a lot . I guess that I am not a fan of the super cupped blooms

• sara_ann-z6bok

Kristine, thank you. I’m not sure how it will do here, but I think the fact that it’s a Kordes was tempting for me since I have pretty good success with them. I don’t have enough white or nearly white roses. That’s why I wish I had gotten Bolero. I’m very anxious to see what my Moonstone does. It’s still very small, but is looking pretty good right now. It’s such a gorgeous rose, just wish it was more fragrant.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Sara Ann , Moonstone looks so beautiful. Every picture that I see of it is so tempting . I'm glad that you are growing it because It seems like you grow such perfect roses. I can't wait to see what you do with Earth Angel. Like I say , the rose is fine I'm just not a fan of the cupped blooms

Who knows, maybe it will be my favorite this year