lilyfinch

Rose petals nursery: new website

Did anyone notice they updated their website? It’s gorgeous now . It looks so nice d and they still have their links to help me find which is so helpful.

has anyone ordered from them lately? Its one I haven’t ordered from so I’d love a review . They have Kathleen harrop and blush Noisette I think I’ll try .

Sorry I’m trying to link it but it’s not working on my phone :(

• rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)

Extensive listing.

Own root.

Size/age? Shipping costs?

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

I have ordered from them and been very happy. Their roses are small bands, so I pot them up to 2 gal pots and let them size up before planting in the ground. They are younger plants than ARE ships.

They have some fantastic treasures. Shipping this far west was pricey, but worth it. I am very grateful they keep going.

New House: Yikes! How can we update the Exterior?

Well thanks for your interest. We are definitely not done all of our work but the past year has included lots of changes, including: a new neutral colour roof, brand new windows, painted out front door, "gum drop" shrubs removed (and hydrangeas to be planted soon), painted out the pure white siding and removed the shutters. Next on the list: a new garage door with windows and black brackets/hinges. It will be a huge transformation. Do you think we should go off white to match the windows or what colour do you think would look best?

Fabric for curtains and throw pillows

Kentucky Haze seems not quite blue green enough - love the muted quality but the darker tones are pure blue - same problem. What about heavenly blue http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/heavenlyblue or yarmouth blue HC-150 http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/yarmouthblue You won't know til you see them in your home in your light. If you buy little sample pots and paint them on foam core so you have a big enough piece, you can carry them around the room to see them in natural and nighttime lighting / against all your things and select before you invest. You always want to start with several shades because the reflections off existing things alone can make a color different on the walls. You can always mix your samples you don't use for the furniture piece you want to do and add enough craft paint in a strong tone to get the color you want. Good luck!

POLL: Fake Plants and Flowers - Yes or No?

I love my real houseplants, wouldn't have them any other way. I don't find it that difficult to water all of them, pretty much on the same schedule. If i could afford fresh flowers 2x monthly it'd be great. We can't but, we don't replace with fake. The best part about fresh is the part where my husband surprises me with them, occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, except he "thought of " me today and I don't care they were 2 for 5$ at the grocery store. It's the thought that matters, and it matters, alot.

Help with Baby Girl's Room

Have you considered a mural on the wall. Personally I love murals in children's room because that's where you can successfully pull it off if you choose cleverly. Rather than bunnies and rainbow consider something personal yet unique and "classy" (for a child). Take a look at the child's room - not an infant but a slightly older girl we designed a while back. If you need more help fell free to drop me a line on my website. www.toriblackhome.com We offer online design services for out of town clients. TORI BLACK HOME Interior Design West Hollywood CALIFORNIA
  • Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca

Rifis , it says one gallon online but maybe it’s small gallons ? The shipping may be much less for you . Here’s my mock order of Kathleen harrop , blush Noisettes and they have Setina too.

I’m clear across the country. It’s still less than $30 a rose , what I pay anyway . So I’m happy with it ! :)

sheila I actually don’t mind that they are smaller so I can baby them a bit . I don’t need all giant roses . Are they bigger than RVR though?

• Alana8aSC

Love Rose petal Nursery! I have ordered from them three times. The second time , either Ups, or whoever it is they use, messed up my box and roses, so they refunded that order. I lost two or three and the rest pulled through, my first order was good, I want to say they are the same size as RVR, I have never had a issue with RVR, always great roots. Their top growth may have been bigger, but they are in different pots. I have a third order coming this year, I pray it comes in good with no UPS casualties. I haven't worked out what I will tell the hubby...some they owed me, ?

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL

I’ve ordered many roses from RPN (20 or so) and they’ve all done really well. They are not huge topside, but always have strong roots and jump right into growing when planted. She has so many that I couldn’t find anywhere else, and I’m really grateful for the work that they do preserving so many OGRs. :-)

• Marlorena-z8 England-

..sorry to butt in, but I thought you might be interested in this nursery... obviously it's nothing to do with me but I happened across it whilst rummaging around on Instagram.... it's not a nursery I've ever heard mentioned on this forum, so if you are in the PNW area it may be of interest to you... their roses prices seem reasonable enough, but they don't have a huge selection..

..I have no connection whatsoever... but here's a link anyway...

All My Thyme roses Washington State

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

I love RPN and have ordered several times. I like their roses but not the way they ship. The staples sometimes come loose that hold the gallon pot to the box. I have had roses in a big pile of dirt and loose pots, upside roses, you name it.

You have to assume the mail will be rough with packages. They don't care.

I think RPN should just grow them in large band pots and ship them the same way as A Reverence for Roses does. I haven't got anything majorly damged from ARfR and the root systems, to be honest, are the same size..just less dirt.

Marlorena, You could never "butt in" we love you..always welcome on any thread :)

Thanks for the link. I will check it out.

• oursteelers 8B PNW

Ooh, I’m in Washington State and I’ve never heard of them. I’m so excited to have something new to check out! Thank you!!!

• Marlorena-z8 England-

...that's ok, hope it's useful..... sjn.. so kind, thank you..

I can't 'like' posts here anymore for some reason....

• frances_in_nj

I really love RPN! They have a wonderful collection of roses, and their plants have always done beautifully for me. I do agree with sultry_jasmine_nights that their packing is a little problematic, however. Cydney is really the soul of honor, and when some of my roses were quite badly damaged in the shipping process, she immediately replaced them, so I certainly feel confident in ordering. But I do wish they'd maybe adjust their packing methods - something like what RU does would be ideal. (RU's packing is great - they are so thoroughly secured that unpacking the plants is always a bit of an ordeal, but its well, well worth it!) I just hate to see beautiful plants potentially damaged, and I also hate to think that such a wonderful nursery, that is doing so much to preserve old roses, would potentially lose money due to less than ideal shipping and packing.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

frances, I totally agree that RPN has great roses. I love their variety and I really love that they keep them in stock and well labeled as in, you get the correct rose that you paid for!

Most of mine that had rough shipping recovered wonderfully even one that had the main stem snapped off. I've never tried to get a refund or anything, even when a few died.

I just mentioned the shipping as constructive criticism not to ditz anyone.

I generally will order from a FL or Southeast based rose nursery if at all possible, because they are already used to our climate and they take off sooner after shipping.

One other thing they do that I do like, is, often there is a label in the bottom of the pot as well as one on top. So if you have dumb chickens like me, who just Love to pull off plant tags, I still know what I have once I pot up to the next size and find that tag lol.

Marlorena, I can't like any posts anymore either..on any of my devices! lol. Its a new Houzz glitch, I think.

My little rose garden helpers who eat bugs, aerate soil, fertilze, and steal tags :/

• Marlorena-z8 England-

...dear little babies.... and you got a Marechal Niel too... lucky you !...

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Thank you. I have 3 MNs now because we have a bunch of leaf cutter bees here. MN is their favorite rose to take their little cuttings from in the spring.

In spring all 3 of the MNs' leaves look like this lol

• Marlorena-z8 England-

I get those too.... funny how we all get the same problems around the world...

I just managed to 'like'.... things are looking up...

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca

Great reviews ! I’m so excited to order from them now . I seriously swore I was done ordering but then those videos from Japan were posted and I got the “ if they can cram a ton in I can too bug “

marlorena , thanks for posting that link! I have been following them on Instagram and never noticed they sold things?! I might order Jessica and some tubers. Jessica is so beautiful. I had it on hold at hortico but then they cancelled my other rose so I dropped the order.

sultry I love your chicks !! So sweet . I hope to have some someday . I’m trying to talk husband into putting his name in for North Carolina but he’ll be away more If we live there. But if we do, then I can have yard agin and I’m not holding back on the things I wanted in Tennessee but didn’t get like chickens and a peacock or two .

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Marlorena, I like the bees so I'm getting more MNs, mostly for me, but also for them lol.

We made a bee block designed for the leaf cutter bees and hung it up strategically and not too far off from the MNs. So far, they haven't used it lol. I don't know where they are making their nests but its probably out in the woods somewhere behind us.

Lily, I think NC is ideal. Not too hot, not too cold but you get a little taste of real winter (depending on where). I love the mountains.

I am dying to have peacocks. One of my great aunts has a big farm in Nebraska. They have peacocks just roaming around. At night sometimes, they let out screams that literally sound like a woman being murdered lol. One of our neighbors has a few peacocks but they have to stay locked up. They also make the screams.

Right now, I have 3 new guineas. One is lavender and two are white. We used to have Pearl Grey guineas. They are very loud too at times. They are basically watchdogs and put up an ear splitting chatter- like locusts on crack, whenever anyone comes up the driveway :D

• Marlorena-z8 England-

I love the bees.... I don't mind if they eat my roses.... you're doing well for them..

..we have Peacocks locally in a large garden, must be 2 acres... they roam free and sometimes get outside to a wooded area, I see them quite often.... I hear them making alarm calls - you're description is spot on - as I walk my Greyhound dog and I think they can smell him coming from some way off... I always hope one will spread its wings for me, but not so far... I think that's for mating anyway isn't it?... I'm way too old.. lol...

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca

Lol marlorena ...

I have heard the peacocks many times but it didn’t stop me from wanting them! Honestly I don’t knew why sometimes I ask my husband when I should have just come home with the babies and said oh well ;) . My neighbors raised quail and oh how I love them too, I so so miss birds here!! It sounds crazy but I only have been able to attract goldfinch which I love , hummers and one lone phoebe . There’s doves too and I saw a mockingbird pass by once but I just don’t have a magical garden anymore. Sometimes I watch my garden videos from Tennessee just to hear the birds and crickets again .

• Marlorena-z8 England-

...you had lots of birds whistling in your Tennessee garden, I saw the video you made... I'm sure you will find other delights in California.... I could not handle rattlesnakes... no way.. never... and if there were alligators around like you hear about in Florida, I would collapse on sight...

Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca thanked Marlorena-z8 England-
  • sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Just tell dh they are baby chickens then act surprised when they turn out to be peachicks lol. They start out pretty small. Thats my plan anyways.

If I could get some peacock/peahen eggs I could put them in my incubator about 9 days before some chicken eggs and hatch them all together. Then act like l, oh look at those strange looking baby chicks lol. Sneakier yet, I could give peacock eggs to a broody hen....key west hens will sit on anything.

Marlorena, yes I've heard they display to attract a mate. At our zoo there were some males running around at the food court area. The males were displaying and some people were throwing them bread. I didnt see any peahens. Maybe the bread makes them horny LOL!!

Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
  • Kes Z 7a E Tn

I've ordered from them twice within the last 5 years. Everything got here just fine and the roses were about the same size as RVR's. Their shipping price seemed to be similar to others from the same general area. I know I'm not West Coast so I don't expect my shipping experience to be the same as yours.

That said, my orders weren't exactly as planned. First time I ordered two; One was supposed to be Mme Joseph Schwartz and that was what the tag on the pot said. When I planted this rose I discovered another tag wrapped around the roots that said "Arethusa". It turned out to be Arethusa. Second order was Siren's Keep and Ivor's Rose. Neither was correct. SK may have come to them incorrect. I didn't find out their mistake immediately. Instead of Ivor's rose, I got one labeled Isabella Ducrot a tea rose. I let them know as soon as I received it and received a refund. Long story short, it turned out that it wasn't ID, either, but Ping Dong Yue Ji. I tend to order roses that are unusual and/or foundlings. Sometimes misidentifications happen. I've been happy with the roses that I got by mistake. They've been healthy and growing well, even though I never would have ordered them. But it does seem like their error rate is a little high.

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL

Sultry, your chicks are adorable! I’d love to get guineas too, but I’m afraid my neighbors would run me off, lol!

The leaf cutter bees do that to quite a few of my roses too. I love what you said Marlorena, about it being the same all over the world. I love how simple that makes things.

Lily, you definitely need more land...but if anybody can pull it off where you are now, you can! :-)

Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • jc_7a_MiddleTN

I had several Crepuscule and Lady Banks from RPN and they were the best performers I've ever had.

New website looks good.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Lily, I know you miss your larger garden and you are probably experiencing a little culture shock moving to a much more populated area with a big temperature difference etc. I've went through it a few times lol.

Small gardens can be very nice. With smaller gardens you can get that very lush layered look by layering stuff into beds and tight spaces. The garden I had before this one (which is on 4 acres) was just a large sized city lot. I actually kinda miss that old garden because it was sooo lush!

My new one is spread out and random. It is much harder to keep your soil as rich in a bigger garden too. At least here it is.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca

Thank you sultry , I appreciate your kind words! I really am homesick for Tennessee, though I keep it to myself. I know there is no going back , even if we did I’d never have the same home . It was just so so special there . I can’t explain it . God was in those hills , in the morning fog off the lake, in the birds calling out , the bunnies scurrying by , the quail calling in the field , crickets and frogs at night , the finches darting from zinnias .. the small town feel, the southern accent and doors being helped open and friendly conversations everywhere you went. The fried chicken and waffles ( now everyone has it but it started in Nashville lol ) the best biscuits and gravy ..real sweet tea .. ugh . I miss it so so much .

I love the weather here but it feels so different. It’s very lonely in this very crowded neighborhood. I hear cars and traffic all day . People walk by and barely acknowledge you .

My husband loves it here and I’ve tried expressing my desire to not remain here but that’s about all I can do.

Well thanks for letting me vent. Haha it’s been a sore spot at home . :)

• Rosefolly

Lilyfinch, I'm so sorry you are lonely here in California. I know you miss the beauty of the hills you knew, but California has its own incredible beauty. The more you see of it, the more you will love it.

The small town feeling isn't automatic in the higher populations parts of California. You have to work for it, harder than you are used to doing, but it can be had. Chat with store clerks, the UPS delivery lady (ours is a woman), neighbors you meet at the mailbox. Keep it light and short. They aren't used to it and you don't want to scare them off. Do you have a dog? Walking a friendly dog is a great way to get to know people in the neighborhood.

It helps to join organizations or take some classes. Something in gardening perhaps? Volunteer at a community facility of some sort. It's easier to build a network when there is formal structure. Once you get to the point where not everyone you see all day is a stranger, you may not feel so homesick.

And once you have made a circle of acquaintances, invite them to your garden for a party when the garden is in its spring glory.

Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca thanked Rosefolly
  • oursteelers 8B PNW

Jenn I’m so sorry you are going through this rough patch. You have a lot on your plate with both kids and home not feeling like home can’t make it any easier.

There is nothing I can do but send you a huge virtual hug and any time you wanna text, jump on here-you know everyone here has a shoulder available for you

Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
  • sautesmom Sacramento

Lilyfinch
    Have you thought of looking for a meet up group of southerners transplanted to California? I know they have ones for New Yorkers

https://www.meetup.com/cities/us/ca/murrieta/

You probably will also feel much more connection once your kids are in school and you start running into parents you know. Making friends in today's rush rush society is so hard, often people only talk to others who they see around already. Most of my friends now are either my long time friends or dog park friends, nobody else has the time.
    And a lot of birds in California are migrating one direction or the other, so you will only see them, for example, in spring. Maybe a birding group would be fun for you!
    Carla in Sac

Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca thanked sautesmom Sacramento
  • sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

I know its hard and I can relate to everything you said because I have been through it. When you are new, it can be lonely. If you are home with kids while the spouse is out and having a career, it can be even more isolating.

The big cities can feel closed in and suffocating if you aren't used to it. The bigger the city, the more anonymous you are lol. A lot of people aren't really mean they are just used to living their lives indoors for the most part. When they go outside, its to get from point A to point B, in a hurry lol. People live really close together so you can feel claustrophobic, if you are used to being spaced out from neighbors.

I say give it a shot. Ride it out for awhile. This is just a small part of your life. You just had a HUGE move, a new baby, your family's roles have all changed. Lucia is going to preschool now or soon? She is a new big sister, etc. So a lot of family life changes and new stresses. So staying put for a little while until everyone is adjusted makes sense.

Tell yourself you are on a few-year extended vacation (this has got me through a few places we lived that I hated lol). Plan for the yard or garden you want someday but in the meantime, keep on living your new 'Vacay Life.' In a few years, you can re-evaluate, make a change. You can always go back to TN or elsewhere..those places are not going anywhere. Giving yourself a timeline , like say 2 years or 3 years. It kinda takes the pressure off of having to make decisions to make any big moves right now. ( I hope that makes sense!) It also gives you freedom to mentally try on new things. New food, places, lifestyles, etc because its only temporary right? It doesnt matter if the new stuff isnt the same as the old stuff because its not forever.

At least California has a lot to offer in the way of things to do. It is one of the most diverse states geographically... mountains, the ocean, deserts, you name it. There are places that are pretty and less crowded to visit. Open wild spaces. Lots of City & State Parks, zoos, and places to take kids. Make a list of everything you want to visit while you are in California. You never know. You might fall in love with another smaller city or town there. If not, at least you got to see everything you wanted to while you are there.

See if there are mommy facebook groups in your area and see if you can meet (in a secure location) for playdates or meet other moms through Lucia's school. Do you belong to a church? There may be some stay at home moms there that you could set up play dates with for your kids.

If you need to talk to a counselor or pastor etc. be sure to do it! There are online mental health providers, now too, just like there are online physicians...many health care groups are doing this and you could see what your insurance covers. Sometimes its easier to talk from the comfort of your own home. They can give you tools to help you cope. Everyone talks to mental health providers now its no big deal. Even doctors and other professionals do it, especially if they themselves have to deal with grief, loss, stress, etc.

Grief and loss can come in many forms. You can experience loss and even profound sadness from retirement, moving, divorce, even sometimes, seemingly good changes, like marriage or going off to college. Don't be afraid to reach out. You got this girl!

• oursteelers 8B PNW

Very well said sultry!

• jc_7a_MiddleTN

I think Sultry's suggestion about treating it like a long term vacation is great.

Early in my career I moved to Jackson, Oklahoma City, and Charleston without knowing a single soul there.

It was a little sad and lonely, but also sort of invigorating because I was able to see so many things that I never would have otherwise. Discovering the different weather, food, and just the general lifestyle difference was kind of fun- even if it wasn't my thing.

I've been to a Thunder (NBA) game in their beautiful area, a big time Sooners (college) football game that I'll never forget because it was 17 degrees at kickoff! I went boating on the Mississippi river and reservoir and went to a genuine neighborhood jazz festival. Took my dog to a park on the beach, so many historical sites and buildings, the most amazing food and social scenes.

I never would have experienced any of that without the lonely moves, and I'm so glad I did because it shaped the person I am now. I knew each move was only temporary, so it was easier to enjoy the differences.

I met people through church and rec league sports. That was the biggest help for me.

Also, you might just be tired lol. I have 2 little ones as well and when I'm physically, mentally, and emotionally exhausted my attitude/outlook takes a turn for the worse!

Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca thanked jc_7a_MiddleTN
  • Nick 10bSW17

CA sure can be a lonely place, odd with nearly 40 million people. I moved here from the Midwest and felt that loss of neighborliness right away. I decided to continue to greet people on my street, and if they didn't want to say good morning back, that was on them. 16 years later, and there are still neighbors on the block that won't say boo back. Let CA change you for the best, but don't give up those bits that make you human. ; )

I wish I hadn't taken for granted the wildlife all around me growing up. A meadowlark singing on Youtube doesn't have the same power as one singing the first song of spring. Our house literally touches the neighbors and being tight on space, I've tried to bring as much nature to a 25x140' plot as I can! Hands down the best thing we installed in our yard was a bubbling fountain, it helps to block out the sound of the city, and the birds love it. I also planted plants in my garden to remind me of home because that is all I can do to bring a piece of it here.

For me, home will always be where I grew up, I'm happy where I am, but SD will always be home.

Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca thanked Nick 10bSW17
  • Perma n’ Posies/9A FL

Lily, you’ve gotten tons of good advice—just wanted to say I’m another one who “gets it” and is here for you. Being a mom can feel pretty lonely, too. A great organization for young moms to get out, run through many churches, is MOPS, or Moms of PreSchoolers. I would think there’s loads of people who would just soak up your sweet spirit and love to spend time with you. And you’ll always have us, your virtual buddies! :-)

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca

I can’t thank you enough for all the wonderful comments on my complaining post!! It brought tears to my eyes, because you are my friends here and there is so much wisdom to be had from each of you . It felt like an encouraging cup of coffee with you in person !!

Jc and sultry I love the suggestion to explore more and see things I wouldn’t normally. I tried to do that in Tennessee, only missed a couple things on my list . I learned that lesson from our very short stay in Long Island. I literally worked off the exit of Old Westbury gardens . And never once went bc I thought we would live there for a while! Not to mention not going to NYC for Christmas.... so I’m inspired to make a list on paper and make sure to enjoy all this area can give me.

Rosefolly, I am often blown away by the odd beauty of the barren mountains and burned out hills posing in front of snow capped mountains. I had no idea Ca got snow! Haha there is a lot of beauty here, so different from what I am used to. And I have met a few neighbors more over my darn cavalier spaniel who runs away every chance he gets lol . I do try to talk but people are short and scurry back in . I did meet a lovely lady who has glorious citrus trees outside her fence and I learned a lot about those from her. I had different expectations coming from the countryside . We were all spread out but really knew each other , had good conversation etc .. I thought being closer in space would mean a lot more over the fence interacting. Like Wilson on home improvement?! lol

Sultry , you are absolutely correct this has been quite a life change. And I am mourning a Chunk of life I didn’t realize I would be . That’s kind of the only way to put it .this stage of life with two kids is amazing and I am so proud of my husband getting his promotion but It definitely changed our life so much . And he really deserved this promotion., his work load is so much easier on him physically and he loves his new position. So I need to focus on that .

I’ve thought of counseling many times but wasn’t sure I’d be able to keep it together to even string a sentence! Haha

Tina , thank you so much , you have been so kind !! I appreciate your friendship here and your thoughtful words .

Carla , you are right about school .. that will help ! And thankfully Lucia will start transition kindergarten this fall . It’ll be so great for us . She needs the activity and I’m looking forward to watching her grow and expand . Preschool has been great too . I would totally join a birdwatching group lol . Maybe when my kids are older . For now I try to keep my eyes out for unique ones to learn . I hope eventually they come to my garden but I adore my hummingbirds and finches . I put up a black oils seed feeder and all I got was mice. Yuck!!!

Lesson learned .

Nick , thank you for sharing your experience too so I don’t feel so alone in this feeling. You are right to keep doing what I can to bring friendliness to those around me . Your fountain is so beautiful! I have been wanting one , looks like solar is my only option at the time but I need one . I bought a solar fountain pad for my birdbath and they love that ! I also need to drown out the sound of the road behind us. And I did redo the garden here and it basically looks like my Tennessee garden with my decor. It’s very different from the neighborhood! But I love it .

I will look up a meadowlark.. it sounds like it must be so beautiful for you to miss it so . I had no idea there were areas with so few nature sounds . I miss that symphony so much . Now I very much enjoy the hummers fussing at each other . I get a kick out of that !

Perma , now that my baby is a little more predictable , I plan on looking into the women’s group at church . I do think thereis a nearby mops group too ! I have to make the effort for sure . I often think how is motherhood so lonely when you have kids 24/7 attached to you ? Lol it just is .

Thank you all so so much. You have blessed me with your words and kindness !!!

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Lilyfinch, I have nothing to add, but just my thoughts and hopes that you can be in the moment and enjoy what Ca. has to offer, perhaps taking day trips on your hubbie's days off to explore areas that are too far to go alone.

• Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal

Jen,
    So much beautiful heartfelt advice here. This is a good place to vent about these things with such a wonderful group of garden friends. There are some amazing and beautiful places to visit around SoCal. We like to do weekend getaways to nearby resorts in the winter. The ones that tourists flock to in the summer. Also Palm Springs and Las Vegas are driving distance. Don’t miss the Living Desert Zoo and Gardens near Palm Springs if you are there. Feeding the giraffes carrots is a riot!

Earlier this month a flock a peafowl stand down a coyote in nearby Arcadia.
    https://patch.com/california/arcadia/video-flock-peacocks-chase-down-coyote-arcadia

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Stephanie, I love that article with the Peafowl chasing off the coyote. They don't call them Dragon Birds for nothing :)

They have some evil spurs and are protective, territorial and even will hunt, kill, and eat venomous snakes in the wild.