ilikefriday

Bohemian Bedroom

ilikefriday

I know this style will not appeal to the masses...

I want to create a Bohemian bedroom. I would like the main colors to be black/brown, pink and blue. I want to start with layering rugs around my fireplace. I already have the black/white rug that is under the bed and would like to build on that. Would either of the rugs in the mockup (cow or zebra) look good with the black/white rug? If this combination works and a third rug is introduced, what style would you suggest?

The fireplace wall is what is seen when you walk into the room.

The bookshelf wall is to the left of the fireplace wall.

Below is my mockup of the space.

• ilikefriday thanked everdebz
  • ilikefriday

@Dawn Martinez

I just took a peek at all your idea books. Love them! The layered rugs are fab. I also really like the antiques one. Can you post a photo of your layered rugs? Sounds amazing.

The brown hide rug ties in with the headboard and the table with books. I also have a chair in the room, not shown in the photos. It is brown and white. I would be happy with either rug honestly. I just already have the zebra. The cow was a complete photoshop.

Pull those masks out! I wish there was more of that kind of decor on these boards. I just purchased some masks from Ebay. They were delivered today and are already decorating my bedroom.

• Dawn Martinez

@ilikefriday, it's nighttime here and my family room is in a finished basement, perhaps tomorrow I can snap some photos of the rugs. It's a big space, we rarely use sadly - but it's colorful.

The antiques idea book came from me shopping at an Asian antique store - a LOT ;-) and I use antiques in interesting ways, for example I found an antique Chinese garden gate and I made it into a headboard, of sorts.

I absolutely need to pull those masks out, agreed! Love your style and your posts, inspires me!

ilikefriday thanked Dawn Martinez
  • everdebz

Pretty, and seems a bit of black -

Beverly Rug, Ivory and Fuchsia, 5'3"x7'6" · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/beverly-rug-ivory-and-fuchsia-53x76-prvw-vr~53678114

ilikefriday thanked everdebz
  • everdebz

Has color in your lady art ? mustard / golden ?

Vintage Abstract Paisley Rug, Pink, 5'3"x7'7" · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/vintage-abstract-paisley-rug-pink-53x77-prvw-vr~39259652

ilikefriday thanked everdebz
  • hollybar

Love everyone's encouragement and suggestions! For a third rug... Ever consider a rya (the one below is on etsy), a shaggy tulu or a sheared "moderne" rug? (look at Nalbandian on Chairish for examples of the last two...and remember, Chairish is haggle central) What about a boucherite or azilal type...there are new ones (the pics below) and old ones. I also think you could take a look at Deco era chinese rugs. As a group, there are some stellar bargains in the category. (at least there are round here...I guess they are too,too out of fashion) Given that the walls will be so scrumptiously dark, I guess I'm thinking about getting some glow on the floor to meet the art ;-) I don't quite get where all the layering is going on but I always appreciate your results. Also, I must admit I prefer the not zebra rug.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/531794703/swedish-vintage-ryamatta-rug-pure-wool?ref=hp_rf-2

https://www.etsy.com/listing/758561295/beautiful-vintage-boucherite-moroccan?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=boucherite&ref=sr_gallery-1-2&organic_search_click=1&frs=1

https://www.etsy.com/listing/757161445/vintage-beautiful-azilal-moroccan-runner?ref=shop_home_active_2&frs=1

https://www.etsy.com/listing/711434936/antique-1910s-1920s-victorian-chinese?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=chinese+deco+rugs&ref=sr_gallery-1-25&organic_search_click=1

ilikefriday thanked hollybar
    Beth H. :

ilikefriday,,,,can you DIY? you could carefully chip out that green marble, clean off the mortar on the fireplace, and reset some black marble, or some cement tiles.

builder depot has these black cement tiles. or you could use black granite, or black marble. Or,,Basalt! rent a tile saw. it's easy to do those simple tiles around that.

I',m with you. I love to use black.

you could do this black wood treatment. depending on your budget,,,,,get some fir wood at HD,,,dye them w/black aniline dye (it dissolves in water. super easy) then go over it with a black gel stain. looks better than painting them black because the wood grain will still show.

decorate like this .

now do your fireplace w/CleZellige black tiles (I have these in the 2x6!!)

or a black marble

ilikefriday thanked Beth H. :
    Flo Mangan

I started with living area.

ilikefriday thanked Flo Mangan
    Flo Mangan

Some bedroom ideas.

ilikefriday thanked Flo Mangan
  • ilikefriday

@Flo Mangan

I would love to simply paint that section of the fireplace wall all the way to the ceiling but it would just be a line going up the wall. It is solid drywall from left to right going up the wall. The only place the fireplace protrudes from the wall is where the green tile is and the black painted portion. Also, this would be DIY and those ceilings are at least 20 feet tall. There is no way I could tackle that.

I do love your idea of the black striped ottomans. I will definitely incorporate stripes, either as an ottoman or as a throw at the foot of the bed or as sheets.

I also love your idea of that black industrial looking wall sconce. I ordered a lamp that should be delivered today. If it does not work out then I will definitely try one like the one in your mockup. I had previously considered a wall scone in that location however there is an alarm control panel and a light switch just above that table. Also, there is no junction box at that location, is that what they are called???? It would need to be a plugin sconce and I don't want to have to see the cord.

@Beth H. :

Those CleZellige black tiles are divine! I would love to see how you have used them in your home. I absolutely love that look. I have way too many DIY projects to complete at the moment. There is no way I could add chipping away tile to my list. At least not until after I have knocked out some of my other projects My house is too small and way too much of a mess at the moment to add anything else to the list. I will incorporate some plants similar to those in your photos.

@hollybar I will have to check out those rug ideas. I must admit, I love that yellow rug. Some of those rug designs you mentioned I have never heard of. You have given me lots of items to explore! Thank you.

@everdebz

So many rug ideas! Thank you. I especially like the tribal ones. I want to shy away from navy blue though. While the part of the door that faces into this room is black, I recently painted all the doors leading to my hallway upstairs a sort of aqua color. I would like the blue in this room to coordinate with the blue on the outside of the doors. That is why the blue aqua lamp is on the nightstand. That is also why there is a tiny bit of the same color in the artwork over the fireplace.

@Dawn Martinez

A Chinese garden gate as a headboard. That sounds fantastic! It is right up my alley. I absolutely love that kind of creativity incorporated into home decor.

Flo Mangan

The wall sconce I posted is a plug in type. I assumed you would need that type.

ilikefriday thanked Flo Mangan
  • ilikefriday

@Flo Mangan

Thank you. I will check it out. I am going to order that sconce and compare it to the table lamp that should arrive today.

Do you have any suggestions for patterned bedding? I want to be able to mix and match. Maybe a patterned sheet set with a different patterned duvet set. Or sometimes pattern with solid, depending on how I am feeling.

• J Williams

Couldn’t you just tape off the fireplace to paint?

ilikefriday thanked J Williams
  • J Williams

Anthropologie seems to be boho central.

ilikefriday thanked J Williams
  • ilikefriday

J Williams

Yes, I could tape and paint but it would be a DIY job and my ceilings are at least 20ft. I am afraid I might break my neck and am not ready for that ;-).

Too much? If it were doable, I would consider a pattern on the wall but not green. I want to downplay the green fireplace tiles. I love too much when it comes to pattern. There is very little/no pattern in my main living area. My goal is for upstairs to be filled with pattern, texture, and drama.

• J Williams

Aha. Did not look that high from pic. Omg this computer or site is glitchy lol.

ilikefriday thanked J Williams
  • ilikefriday

I just ordered this sconce. It should be delivered tomorrow. I will compare it to the lamp being delivered today and see which one I like best.

• Dawn Martinez

Vintage Rugs from Nalbandian - from One Kings Lane, many way above my price point, but some 'affordable' and all one of a kind.

https://www.onekingslane.com/c/code/E85131.do

Flo Mangan

The wall mounted ones are great because it frees up surface on night stands. You can get plugs that you put in outlet then plug your lamp into and it has a remote control. Super handy item. Look for remote plugs on Amazon. Love the double one you posted. Very cool. You will love it.

ilikefriday thanked Flo Mangan
  • lindahambleton

I like the idea of sheep skin. Could you paint the whole room a little darker. I think your paintings would look good against a deeper colored wall. This has been my experience with my pictures. l

ilikefriday thanked lindahambleton
  • lindahambleton

I just saw where painting walls wasn’t do able. Sorry. You could hang drapes along the sides of fireplace to give pattern and texture. No one but you would have to know behind them was a blank wall

ilikefriday thanked lindahambleton
  • ilikefriday

@lindahambleton

Oh how I would love to paint the room a darker color! There are already curtains on either side of the fireplace. Extending them further would look odd because the fireplaces stick out about 5 inches where the tile starts.

I would like to add texture by the bed. I like the idea of putting a sheepskin rug on either the floor or the bed. I would like some other ways to add texture as well. The wall behind the bed needs something more. Perhaps some type of wall hanging that adds texture. I also want to put something on the wall next to the blue lamp. Maybe a small piece of art that is full of texture.

• J Williams

Maybe you could your kids to help you again...

https://www.tate.org.uk/art/art-terms/a/assemblage

ilikefriday thanked J Williams
  • Ba K

Okay, so boho is 100% my aesthetic. And I’ve discovered that one of the keys is the pops of colors with white. I love adding texture with either headboard or with the right mix of different pillows, and blankets. Also I do love the textured wallpaper look.

You can never go wrong texture wise with a mirror that’s the right shape concave or wave or a adding lamps with gold accents to the wall.

In my experience careful with boho. As it’s my aesthetic. It’s a fine line between “what have I done,” and “perfectly curated”

ilikefriday thanked Ba K
  • ilikefriday

@j williams

I love that idea. Now I need to find something to turn into art. I am sure I have something around here that will work. I just have to remember what it is.

@Ba K

That's my problem. Being careful and knowing when to stop! I need to keep in mind color. My bed has no color.

I am thinking I might shift the artwork over the bed to the left and then hang a skinny textured rug, a runner, vertically next to it.

• Ba K

Don’t hang rugs on the wall for some reason I’m so not into it. They belong on the floor. I had this textured wallpaper that was easy to put up and down and went with everything.

ilikefriday thanked Ba K
  • Ba K

Also a versatile rug I love that is super on sale - it’s main color is white so unsure how badly it gets dirty is this. And maybe for behind the walls for texture go with this if you want to avoid wallpaper. I think my boho chic is a beach eclectic bright.

I know it’s a fine line sometimes to find the perfect balance. Maybe you can help me pick out the furniture fabric for my new apt!

ilikefriday thanked Ba K
    Flo Mangan

Heck of a deal.

ilikefriday thanked Flo Mangan
    Beth H. :

I love those teak wall panels!

ilikefriday,,,,,I'm going to do an inlay in my wood floors of the black zellige in a herringbone design. I just haven't gotten around to it yet! (it's only been 5 months! ditto w/my backsplash! But I did do my cement tiles around the coffee bar! )

ilikefriday thanked Beth H. :
  • Dawn Martinez

@Beth H. :, great coffee bar! Get that floor done, it's going to be gorgeous :-)

ilikefriday thanked Dawn Martinez
  • definitelynotme

Ilikefriday, every time I see a picture of your house I just get more and more jealous of your art skills. That painting is incredible!

For some reason I actually kind of love the green fireplace, even though you want to downplay it. However, if you are trying to make the green less noticeable, I would stay away from pink rugs, as they often make green stand out even more. The sheepskin idea would help calm it down more. Granted, you paint so I'm sure you know all this already!

ilikefriday thanked definitelynotme
  • ilikefriday

@Ba K

I love that rug. Where did you find it? I would love to see photos of your place. Can you post them?

@Flo Mangan

For bedding, I was thinking maybe a black and white striped fitted sheet, a floral flat sheet, and a white duvet on top because I would have to cover up all of those flowers! Does that sound completely crazy?

Here is the floral I was thinking of but in a flat sheet. I am not a floral kind of gal so I have no idea what has come over me. Someone talk me out of it!

I am the queen of returns. Thank God for Amazon.

@Beth H. :

That floor will look amazing! I love that tile. The cement tiles are so bold. Love it!

@definitelynotme

Thank you. You are too kind. That painting had a blue background a week ago. Then something came over me and I decided to change it. I really know nothing about warm versus cool colors, the color wheel, and all that jazz. I wing it. I had no idea that the pink would make the green more pronounced. Yikes!

Flo Mangan

I love the floral. Stripped sheet (hard to find) etc. I love your idea. Think it is great. Doesn’t go with tribal theme though. But great look.

ilikefriday thanked Flo Mangan
    Flo Mangan

All these are on Amazon. You could combine black and white stripes in various sizes for interesting look. Pick duvet/bedspread first. Then layer in stripes of your choice.

ilikefriday thanked Flo Mangan
  • ilikefriday

@Flo Mangan

Thanks! I will take a look. My thought is when I want a more delicate look, I can use the floral and the stripes. When I want a more tribal look I can use stripes with some ethnic pillows. White duvet over it all. Change the bedding to create different vibes. Keep everything else the same.

Flo Mangan

White duvet cover

ilikefriday thanked Flo Mangan
  • Dawn Martinez

@ilikefriday actually I love the stripe and dark floral look. I'm not a floral person either, but the floral with the black background seems to work.

ilikefriday thanked Dawn Martinez
  • J Williams

Ikea has a couple of black duvet sets

Also solid gold.

• hollybar

Friday, I missed that the walls are staying current shade. Promise to read closer in future ;-) Maybe check out bedding etc. at both Urban Outfitters and H&M in addition to the usual suspects.

https://www.urbanoutfitters.com/shop/stevie-sherpa-waffle-throw-blanket?category=bedding&color=070&type=REGULAR 

https://www.urbanoutfitters.com/shop/derby-textured-jersey-duvet-cover?category=duvet-covers&color=012&quantity=1&type=REGULAR

So many ways to build an interesting,layered bed. And speaking of building....when I saw your yellow inspo pic above it reminded me of this https://www.organized-home.com/posts/diy-oversized-plywood-pegboard/ Just lacks a few coats of yellow lacquer.

PS- the last is an idea I may steal, btw.

ilikefriday thanked hollybar
  • ilikefriday

@hollybar

Which idea will you steal? The yellow wall? If so, please post a photo of the finished product!

I would love to paint those walls but I am a diy kind of gal and I can't reach the top of the walls. They are way too high even with my tallest ladder. It is the only room in my house where the walls are impossible to reach. The staircase is nearly impossible but I can manage it. I would break my neck in my bedroom.

I had not thought of Urban Outfitters and I didn't realize that H&M even sold home decor. OMG. I need to get off the internet and get out of the house more! I will check them out.

• hollybar

Ha! Not sure what is in those stores, I strictly shop 'em online. Might be doing a yellow/ochre-y pegged wall in a rental kitchen re-do after ski season is over. The many,many holes of trad pegboard strike me as too busy, so I'm considering that remodelista hack. I want a hip,unfitted look (NO uppers) but still in planning stage so far. Colourway throughout apt. is going to hew (hue!) kinda close to a Hudson Bay blanket, just a tad "dirtier".

I think between your canvases,bedding, rugs etc. you don't need to paint the walls. And ya really don't need to hurt yourself!

ilikefriday thanked hollybar
    Flo Mangan

I would love your walls painted bold, deep colors. I know, high ceilings. Get some friends, a 20’ ladder and paint. Make it fun. Here are a few of my favorites. SW Naval, SW Dark Knight, and BM Van Deusen Blue, and SW Tricorn Black.

ilikefriday thanked Flo Mangan
    Flo Mangan

A few more.

ilikefriday thanked Flo Mangan
    Flo Mangan

Just a few more inspirational photos then I’ll shut up. Haha!

ilikefriday thanked Flo Mangan
    Beth H. :

Tricorn!

Actually, Behr has a beautiful black that I used in my bedroom called Beluga. almost has a Ruby hue to it

this one looks nice too:

or SW Cyberspace

ilikefriday thanked Beth H. :
  • ilikefriday

@Beth H. :, @Flo Mangan

Well, normally I would not have to be talked into a dark room. I am partial to rooms that are dark, bold, and moody. However, I think my house might be close to dark room overload. I have the following dark rooms in my 1500sf house:

1. Kitchen/Dining Room - Black kitchen cabinets and black accent wall connecting the kitchen and dining room. Yes, I know how most Houzz folks feel about accent walls. Sigh.
    2. Powder Room - Three of the four walls are black. The 4th is another accent wall @@. But I plan on changing things up in that space.
    3. Staircase - Black painted risers and treads. Also a very dark, almost black staircase accent wall. Yikes! Another accent wall....
    4. Laundry room/ Guest Bedroom - Very dark purple, almost black, painted room. This time no accent wall. All four walls are the same color. Could this be accent wall redemption?
    5. I am in the process of changing all the molding upstairs from white to black.

That only addresses the dark in those spaces. I also have a huge dose of bold and moody going on in every single room in my home. The bedroom that I am currently working on is the tamest room in my home next to my living room but compared to most living rooms I see on Houzz, mine is still simply too much. If I put black or dark walls in my bedroom I think my dh might start to look at me sideways. In all honesty, he might already look at me sideways but whatevah. ;-)

• ilikefriday thanked lindahambleton
    Flo Mangan

Oh black trim!!! Gotta love that! I understand. And now 🤭

ilikefriday thanked Flo Mangan
    Beth H. :

wow..sounds like my kind of house!

ilikefriday thanked Beth H. :