kenneth_rollins

2021 jackson and perkins preview has me intrigued

These are undeniably very pretty ... thoughts? Will anyone be trying any of these beauty ? I probably will during the 5.95 sale lol

• Kenneth zone 7A - Southern Middle TN

I have ordered many of JP last year and they’re killing it lately !!!

• suzanne_in_virginia 7b

Kenneth, I just placed my J&P order and used the CARTME code you mentioned - got 15% off! Thank you so much. I owe you!

Got AA186-7, two Ebb Tides, and the new Like No Other. Whee!

• Kenneth zone 7A - Southern Middle TN

Yay Suzanne you got insta I saw your list of order and your addict and I love it .

• Nick 10bSW17

Suzanne, the AA186-7 bush I saw was short as well, but I have no idea how old it was. I‘m new to roses, but I remember thinking holy cow those blooms are huge! I didn’t make the connection until Kenneth started this thread it was the same rose. I‘ve been drooling over the yellow rose from the ARS video BenT posted a few times whenever I watch it, and was disappointed it wasn’t included in the Edmunds 2021 preview.

Kenneth, JP owes you a cut for the traffic you have sent...

• Kenneth zone 7A - Southern Middle TN

Y’all better order I posted in another group and 7 members lol ordered I think yellow one will be a hit !!!!

• suzanne_in_virginia 7b

Nick, I was almost going to ask you about height, but I figured from your pictures that it was short. So that’s two gardens in California, land of the giant roses, where this bush seems to be staying short. I will be so interested to learn more about it.

Kenneth, I’m not on insta yet, but if I join I will follow you for sure! All your pictures are so pretty.

• suzanne_in_virginia 7b

Hey BenT, I just noticed you also ordered Like No Other. Do you know anything about it beyond what’s on J&P and Helpmefind?

• BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

Hi Suzanne,

I had not heard anything specific, but I‘m encouraged that it’s a Bedard rose , and the newer Weeks floribundas have consistently had great flower power, good disease resistance, and perform well in hot summers. Parents are Wild Blue Yonder x Cinco De Mayo, and I know CDM is a powerhouse rose.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Cinco de Mayo is a nonstop Bloomer here but also a black s spotter:-(

• Nick 10bSW17

BenT- thank you for an exercise in self-restraint today, I nearly justified a Jumbo Neil Diamond for $70 after learning of such a thing was possible. You had me at Jumbo... $25 off $50 is tempting, but I have a full cart over at Edmunds I want. Anyone have a savings code for them??

• suzanne_in_virginia 7b

Wait a minute, wait a minute....a jumbo Neil Diamond? Wha? Where?

• suzanne_in_virginia 7b

Okay, scrolling upthread, you're talking about Spring Hill? Y'all order roses from Spring Hill? Back in the day they were definitely a bargain basement sort of place. Are they reputable now?

• BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

Nick,

If there’s one rose I’d go overboard for, it’d be Neil Diamond. Even though I already have 2 plants, I gasped when I saw it was available in jumbo size. I thought Edmunds’ discount was free ship on $100, and no discount code was needed.

Suzanne,

I think all the major US retailers (J&P, SpringHill, Wayside, Edmunds, Brecks, Park) are getting their roses from the same wholesalers (Weeks, Certified). I don’t think any of the big mail-order retailers is growing their own roses anymore. So long as they’ve storaged the bare roots properly they should be good. I did not have any issue with my last order from Spring Hill.

• Nick 10bSW17

So I hear you saying it’s big, it’s beautiful, and I‘m gonna love it? I don’t know much about Neil other than almost everyone on here loving him, but he is worth splurging for? I already ordered Grande Dame & All Dressed Up, but Neil is in my cart for a 2nd order from Edmunds I haven’t placed yet. I‘ll be well past the free shipping on both orders, that’s why I was hoping for a bulk discount even though I think their prices are fair.

• suzanne_in_virginia 7b

Ben, I'm really glad to hear you've had success with Spring Hill. I hope it continues. I would just be careful. They frankly have/had a trashy reputation. I don't think Spring Hill has ever grown its own roses, at least not since I've been a gardener. (There are a lot of other ways to mess up a rose order.) Spring Hill and its sister operation Michigan Bulb were long at the bottom of the barrel in terms of mail order nurseries. Michigan Bulb in particular is more a ripoff operation pretending to be a nursery.

If they are under new management and doing better, then yay for them, yay for their customers. I would just be prudent. Nick, I personally would worry about spending $70 with Spring Hill for one rose.

• suzanne_in_virginia 7b

Btw, I'm all in favor of bargains and am well aware that good strong roses can be found anywhere. Three of the most successful plants I ever grew were from body bags that my Dad picked up at a grocery store.

• BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

Nick,

I never had a single favorite rose until I grew Neil Diamond. He’s so consistently big and beautiful , super generous and just about the greatest scent of anything. I gifted one to my mom, too, and everyone who has seen and smelled either of ours crazily seeks their own. My local nursery manager told me he stocks a bunch of them every spring because people smell it and in the shopping cart he goes. That said, I totally think a regular #1 grade is fine, there’s no need to jumbo size . I do hear he black spots without spray, not sure if that’s an issue where you are.

You have multiple orders with Edmunds? It seems they have difficulty applying a discount across multiple orders, poor lady on the other end of the phone seemed to have to do more backflips than Simone Biles on a balance beam.

I’m trying to offload my Grande Dame, too bad you’re not local. I think she was mis-marketed as a large bloomed HT, really more a small blossomed, large plant grandiflora. She is very healthy, free blooming, and fragrant.

Suzanne,

I’m very familiar the bottom feeders that are Spring Hill, Michigan Bulb, Henry Field. There’s a fourth related stooge but I can’t recall his name. But Spring Hill’s Roses...are sourced mainly from Weeks like everyone else’s, and have been true to grade. Kinda like the iPhone you buy from Wally is as good as the one from the Apple store.

• Kenneth zone 7A - Southern Middle TN

Oh Ben you made me miss my Neil . And yes he smells amazing but if you don’t stick to a strict spraying schedule he lights up in bs.

• BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

Kenneth,

I’m afraid every rose I really like needs to be sprayed for black spot in my area, otherwise my only choices would be whether I like my Knockout to be red, pink, or mini. My guess is Nick is in Marin County where they don’t worry about BS but might have rust.

• Nick 10bSW17

Thank you for all the ND pictures. I'll stick with a #1 Neil since I've already spent more than I was planning this year on roses. I placed an order with Edmunds earlier this month, but after a little soul-searching I decided to rework other parts of my yard, and now I find 9 more roses sitting in an Edmunds' cart. (SMH) I'm in SF, mostly dealing with rust, pm.

• Kenneth zone 7A - Southern Middle TN

Omg nick im dying ... who you got in your cart ?

• Nick 10bSW17

Marc Chagall, Moonlight in Paris, Neil, Peach Swirl, JPII, Scentuous, State of Grace, Sugar Moon, & Vet Honor. I'm a little hesitant to hit order with two whites and Moonlight, I'm afraid the bed they are going into will be heavy on the cream. I'm having a difficult time editing the cart because I like how each rose individually looks. St. Tropez & S.Africa were swapped into my Regan's order over the weekend because they weren't able to get the two Poet's Wife roses I ordered last fall for my mailbox garden, a call to DA is on the docket too now. Good thing I enjoy researching and playing around with the combinations.

• Kenneth zone 7A - Southern Middle TN

Lord have mercy ... I’m sorry I need moonlight in paris she’s stunning along with scentous .

• Nick 10bSW17

It's going to be a busy Feb when they all show up for the party...

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas

I love Moonlight in Paris and you will too Nick! Beautiful soft color combination, looks better in person. Got mine at a flea market last spring - huge! - $15! Hope same vendor is back this year!

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Nick, personally, I love a lot of white roses because they make everything else pop. They just pull everything together including your accent

plants .

Such a busy February that I rescheduled my eye surgery until mid March. Priorities people, priorities

Hopefully everything will be pruned and fertilized and holes dug for the new roses .

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Just be sure to get Sugar Moon.

• Kenneth zone 7A - Southern Middle TN

You need a yard boy I got one lol

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

I almost bought Moonlight in Paris last year. I need to go add it to my cart for this year! ♡

Does anyone hve photos of theirs?

Nick you will adore Peach Swirl (aka Miss Peachy Yum Yum, around here) lol, cuz she looks and smells just like a dessert!

• Kenneth zone 7A - Southern Middle TN

There’s a guy that I follow he works for certified roses and he’s always posting her . Here are some ... the reason I didn’t get Emily Bronte is because there colors are very similiar

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Really pretty. It reminds me of pictures I've seen of Bliss. Who is this Certified poster? I'd love to follow him.

• Nick 10bSW17

HalloBlondie's pictures https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5737883/new-roses-to-you-that-have-been-impressive-this-season are the reason I went with Moonlight. It's a good thing I couldn't find Moonlight Romantica from Edmunds' or Regan or I'd be saddled with finding a spot for it too! https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5269653/moonlight-romantica

• suzanne_in_virginia 7b

Oh my gosh, Nick, the soul-searching! Yes, that's exactly what I'm doing. Searching my soul because...don't I really need a border with purple roses and purple irises and Queen Alexandra poppies bordered by Peach Drift? Don't I really need Neil Diamond with supertunias at his feet? Etc., etc.

I thought I'd finished my rose order at 20. Then because of this thread that went to 24. And now, inexplicably, there are 5 more roses in my shopping cart at Edmunds.

• K S 8b Seattle

Peach swirl is a stunner. Here is a picture of one in a local nursery -- I'm still shocked that I managed to walk away without buying it.

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL

Just wanted to say gorgeous photos, and Hoorah! I can like again!! :-)

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Perma, Yeah! Me too! Now we can go around liking EVERYTHING!! :0

suzanne, I googled the Queen Alexandra poppies. They are so pretty! If you make that border please share pics!

I have a hard time trying to grow poppies here but I keep trying. They say Shirley Annual type poppies would do best. I got 2 kinds of seeds this year to try....the Angel's Choir and the Amazing Grey Poppies. The Grey ones might look nice in your purple border too lol.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Who knew a like button could mean so much! LOL. Now if only I could type on my phone. :-(

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas

If you all want to see a beautiful lavender/purple rose that is apparently not sold over here - so we cant go buy it and add to our overflowing shopping carts - check out Minerva. It is bred in Belgium by Vissers - simply gorgeous!!! Its a stunner!

• suzanne_in_virginia 7b

Sultry, I have trouble growing poppies too! It's pure splurge, because they really don't want to be here. If it works I will take pictures. Much will depend on how purplish the roses are at that point.

Alameda, that Minerva is a beauty!

• farmerduck NJ Z6b

Ken, hate to be a downer, but my experience with JK “introductions” are that they are invariably dogs where I live. I do not spray fungicide. Note that those gorgeous rose videos you saw are made in CA, where they have no or little BS pressure

JP /Weeks sold lots of craps that should not be sold to customers where I live. NJ. They are, IMO, one of the primary culprits why people think Roses are sickly, hard to grow. It makes me mad every time I went to a local nursery and saws rows of “weeks” roses for sale, which had little chance to make it in NJ, let alone flourish.

Do yourself a favor: do not buy those untested roses, which more likely than not would be garbage in a high disease, humid environment.

• Kenneth zone 7A - Southern Middle TN

What ????? My garden gets sprayed ... I put my mask on and hoodie and gloves and go to town every 15 days with a combo of bayer advanced disease control for flowers , shrubs , roses and mix a little bayer complete insect killer and keep it going !!! If I only bought disease resistant roses I would be a very unhappy soul .

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas

Sorry to be off topic, but since last night, I cannot access any of the Garden Forum topics - like Roses. I click on them, but it just takes me back to Garden Forums. I wrote Houzz about this but who knows how long that will take. Have any of you had this problem? Was hoping last night it was just a glitch that would be fixed by morning. Thanks!

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

I had that happen a couple of nights ago, but it ended up being the router where I was at.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas

Just talked to Houzz - they said they were having some problems and hopefully will be fixed by end of day. The topics I was commenting on, and get replies when people make them, are the only ones I get. Hope it gets fixed soon - I go on the rose forums daily!

• Nick 10bSW17

I emailed JP about the yellow rose AA186-7 since they don't list anything for it, this is what I got back:

"It is a hybrid tea crossed between Memorial Day and Mellow Yellow. Blooms are soft yellow, petal count 80-95, zone 5-9, height 5' x 3', and they don't have any information about its fragrance."

• Kenneth zone 7A - Southern Middle TN

Should be intresting . I love that high petal count though !!!

• BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

Yes, most interesting. Memorial Day and Mellow Yellow are both good hot weather roses, so very encouraged by the parentage. It has far more petals than either parent, hope it gets MD‘s fragrance.

• suzanne_in_virginia 7b

Good on you for inquiring, Nick. Very helpful. That parentage makes perfect sense looking at the rose: it seems to have some of Mellow Yellow's color and some of Memorial Day's full-sail petal form. Alas, I strongly suspect there could be some blackspot susceptibility.

• mjkjrobinson

Wow there gorgeous and the pictures everyone sent! In the 2021 set the pink one is beautiful, it would be nice to know if it"s fragrant!

• Kenneth zone 7A - Southern Middle TN

Bennnnnn ???? How big did your lapark get ? I am doing charts and need to know back front or middle ....