Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
besttrunk

HELP NEW KITCHEN BUILD HOW TO PLACE CABINETS

besttrunk
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

With kitchen 12 x 18 wide, open front and back all glass, how to arrange the kitchen.

thank you for any suggestions.

Comments (21)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

We need pictures or a to scale floor plan or better yet both.

• besttrunk
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sorry about the crystal ball. But thank you

• live_wire_oak
    4 years ago

The architecture of the home plans limits the possible kitchen design plans. If the house plan doesn't create a good room for the kitchen, that’s hard to overcome. That’s why a build should start with an architect. The house has to be able to support the kitchen that you want.

If you are past that, hire a Kitchen Designer if you’re builder doesn’t work with one already. He should already have one thst he works with, and have set up that appointment. IF he allows any customization of offerings. Many don’t. It’s take it or leave it, with no real changes other than brown or white.

• blfenton
    4 years ago

I'm confused - you say open front so does that mean it's open to a great room? and then the back is all glass. Are there any walls for a fridge to be placed?

• besttrunk
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The living area is open to the kitchen, the kitchen opens to the outside and so does the front open to the front outside . So the living and kitchen are open concept no walls in between .

• besttrunk
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I thought because the kitchen is open I would put a galley kitchen and yes the architect was involved with the contractor and now it is left to me to decide placement and design of interior. Thank you for all the comments and help.

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

If you can’t post a floor plan, I’d suggest reaching out to a local Kitchen Designer. You’ll need to be working with one to be able to order cabinets. Good luck!

• besttrunk
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oh I am sorry I thought I did. I am on it

• besttrunk
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This is the center of the house

• besttrunk
    Original Author
    4 years ago

But not the island I have not decided which way tp put it

• besttrunk
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Nor raised eating it would be all one slab

• besttrunk
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    4 years ago

Why was the kitchen designed this way? What are the constraints- historic home, architectural review board, etc? Who is working on the team? You mention architect and builder- who is designing the kitchen? What is your aesthetic?

• besttrunk
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes, restraints by the board in the small community. The area is rural and the house is mountain rustic as is the area. Even though I would love modern
    Farmhouse/ ranch in black and white kitchen I just can’t seem to figure it. The restraints are mainly the exterior and the lot even though 2.5 acres was very difficult to place anything with the degree of sloping

• besttrunk
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The only thing started has been the foundation . Nothing else so walls etc. I think can be changed at this juncture

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

No convenient eating, no real allowances for storage,..........Go back to the arch. Views are wonderful features. You still need walls . Post the entire living floor, in a format that can be sufficiently enlarged to read the dimensions

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

Get an actual KD architects mostly suck at kitchen design.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    4 years ago

If you want to prep while facing the living area, a peninsula might work. But, in either plan the fridge is really too far from the range.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

No two level islands

I would consider turning the island and relocating the fridge so it's a bit closer to the needed kitchen triangle of sink, stove, fridge.

If you can forgo stools in the kitchen, then you can use the other side of the island for storage.

• besttrunk
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you all so, so much I can’t begin to tell you how helpful you have been