Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mmmm12cozone5

Craigslist find - 1800s or 1880s probably Mahogany Empire chairs - $50

mmmm12COzone5
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I am currently trying to find out as much as I can about these two chairs I just bought. From what I found on-line they are probably 1800s-1840s Empire or 1880s Empire style chairs. Can anyone add or clarify info?

The one with wheels has wood wheels. They both have paw feet. The rocker was butchered by the previous owner trying to reupholster it but it appears the wood damage is not too bad. Unfortunately he threw out the horsehair stuffing. Grrrr.

Thankfully the wood all around is in good shape. It must be very hard wood. There is only one loose joint at the side panel of the chair.

I snapped some pictures of them before banishing them to our office room. The previous owners lied about them being from a non-smoking home.

I am going to get them refinished and reupholstered in more of a western style vs their probable more victorian original style.

Would love suggestions on fabrics as I'm not very talented with interior decorating.

Comments (61)

• sam_md
    4 years ago

HERE is something similar to OP's chairs. My question for the OP, do you have the matching settee?

mmmm12COzone5 thanked sam_md
  • mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Rory, is it the fourth pattern you like?

Sam, I saw that listing. Very similar. They are in a green fabric.

Also found this listing, also in a green fabric.

https://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/247507-antique-chairs-from-1800s--need-help

One of the ones I bought was green fabric and the other the previous owner had just reupholstered to the blue fabric from a green fabric. The green fabric looks too good to be original but I'm guessing that they were originally in a green fabric which is why there are 3 examples of them in that color. People just chose something similiar to the original.

I do not have the settee. The people I bought them from had bought them off Craigslist also.

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This one just popped up for sale near me.

It is described as:

Victorian Lion's Head Rocker

Mahogany Lions Head Rocker Empire style. 1880’s -1910’s. Very good condition.

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    4 years ago

And I found this on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/201423207217

Asking $1250 for just one chair.

Now I'm really feeling good about my $50 for two chairs deal.

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    4 years ago
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    4 years ago

I like the brown cow/pony hide as well - it really goes with the wood.

mmmm12COzone5 thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Carol,

Which pattern? 1,2 (from first picture) or 3,4 from second picture?

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    4 years ago

My mock up of fabrics from Hobby Lobby with cow print on back and faux leather on seat. Two different seat colors.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    4 years ago

1 - 1st photo, the pattern on the left .

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Carol. I'm liking that one also. Reddish brown with some black and white, medium spots.

The Denver stock show is going on right now and there are probably 1000 hides for sale with every possible pattern and color combo. I like so many of them that it is hard to choose. I have been undecided about using real hide but am starting to decide it is a good idea. In researching it real hide appears to be long lasting and easy to care for.

• lindac92
    4 years ago

And if you do real hide, don't do faux leather with it. Go real all the way. Great chairs! Don't try to strip them. I had a similar chair once, but mine was more red mahogany color and I wanted to lighten it up. It bled red stain forever! That's when I discovered that many of those chairs were maple and stained mahogany with some strange stain because maple doesn't take stain well.

mmmm12COzone5 thanked lindac92
  • mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Linda,

Good tip on the stripping. I was actually hoping for more restore of the finish vs. refinish but the upholstry shops have been light on details so I need to drill down with them more.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    4 years ago

You're welcome! And I think I like it better because it has less white.

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Have to decide if one big cow hide for $300 or two still look big to me hides for $159 each makes more sense. We've never bought a cow hide before. I have some requests out for quote with reupholsters and would love to hear back so I know how much hide to buy.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    4 years ago

Hides are usually measured in square feet. You might be able to use this guide.The style that looks the most similar is the Rococo Style Fauteuil Chair:

https://www.leatherhidestore.com/furniture-reupholstery-guide

And:

https://www.garrettleather.com/blog/determining-square-footage/

And I'm sure there are more available online. These came up when I typed in 'how to calculate cowhide upholstery'.

• lindac92
    4 years ago

With a real hide it's not a matter of square feet but of if you will have enough of the patterned part to fit where you want it. Does that make sense? You want the pattern artfully centered...or artfully off center....and probably don't want to use the belly or legs in your project.

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Carol and Linda,

I spoke to an upholsterer who said one hide per chair so we are going to need two. Another upholsterer said 3.5 yards fabric per chair.

I have two good bids so far. I'm asking for no foam, just cotton, wool, springs and polyester. Also water based wood products. One thinks just touching up the wood is ok but wants to check it out in person. The other bid strip and refinish. I have the touch up guy coming tomorrow to see them in person. The strip and refinish guy is probably ameniable to touch up but may have a reason he suggested strip and refinish so I want to talk to him also. The finish is dulled along the top of the arms and it is likely not original given how good of shape it is in. The cushions do have a cigarette odor so that may have soaked into the finish also. Surprisingly it is a very light odor compared to most cigarette smells.

I've been researching cows hide to determine best tanning process, lowest chemicals brought in the house and lowest odor. Not really conclusive results so we are going to chat with people at the stock show to see what they say.

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Back to the drawing board. I am allergic to something used to treat real cow hide. Plus they smell like leather and strong chemical. We bought this one and then had to return it. It gave me an itchy feeling in the back of my throat and then my nose started to run down the back of my throat. Thankfully we bought from a good company and they took it back.

It does make a gorgeous sofa throw though.

• lindac92
    4 years ago

Ooh....too bad....that's lovely!!....
    About that upholsterer who said 3.5 yds per chair....depends on the pattern and how you want to center it and if you want thes eat and back to be continuous of not. have you ever wall papered? You have to allow for the repeat of the pattern....unless there is no repeat or only about 2 inches

• mmmm12COzone5 thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks. Our local Hobby Lobby has one of these (not sure which color combo). I was thinking of buying a small amount to try. Had the upholstery guy over and he thinks velvet is the way to go. They are in velvet now. Having a bit of heart failure at the cost. The previous owner took out the springs from the blue chair when he reupholstered and did wood damage trying to install the metal studs.

• lindac92
    4 years ago

BUT....you only paid $50.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    4 years ago

I love the Empire style. Used to have a big partner's desk in that style.

Sue

mmmm12COzone5 thanked Marilyn Sue McClintock
  • mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes, only $50. So to resell them on Craigslist or donate them is a possibility. I knew reworking them would be a big unknown so getting them at a bargain price would mean I wasn't out much even if I gave them away. I'm not giving up yet but am definately tired of the whole project.

Marilyn, I love Empire style also. I used to have a more traditional set of vintage Empire chairs at my old house. I tried to find a good picture of them but they were always obscured in my pictures of the room since I wasn't taking pictures of them specifically. They were a lighter blue velvet and had thinner legs. Also were on casters. Loved them! But they didn't look right in this house when we moved here. Same with my queen anne style furniture. Anything with the more delicate legs looked out of place so I sold them to a neighbor for $20 each.

• HU-63974235
    3 years ago

I have a set similar to these I am trying to get info on as well I will leave pictures ASAP. I paid 450.00 at an antique shop. He didn’t have any info. I found online that Mine are probably a part of a 3 piece set. one is on eBay under this description. Mahogany Empire Lion Carved Parlor Set-Settee / Chair

mmmm12COzone5 thanked HU-63974235
  • HU-63974235
    3 years ago

The 3rd piece is a bench chair

mmmm12COzone5 thanked HU-63974235
  • My3dogs ME zone 5A
    3 years ago

Here's the link to the set mentioned just above - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mahogany-Empire-Lion-Carved-Parlor-Set-Settee-Chair-/370576536320 US $2,750.00

mmmm12COzone5 thanked My3dogs ME zone 5A
  • mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I haven't gotten mine redone yet. I have them in the living room and still love the style.

• maifleur03
    3 years ago

Just a comment or a complaint, you can take it as you wish, but it would be nice when posters mention that they would like some info on something if they would expand that so that people are aware of what kind of info they are seeking. Type of wood? Possible maker or area of country that style was from? Are all the pieces original or is it a put together piece? Etc. If it was a recent purchase that is the current value. If it would turn out to be rare that would be it's future value although prices depend on the area of the country it is in for most things.

mmmm12COzone5 thanked maifleur03
  • mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    3 years ago

My3dogs, do you have pictures of the set you bought? I would love to see them.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Do you mean that set that I showed the picture of above, from eBay? I didn't buy it, just copied one of the pics from the listing that HU-63974235 had mentioned, so people could see it.

ETA; the style of your chairs look like they'd be easy to re-do. I wonder if there are any people in your area who do it as a hobby, like I do? I see that whoever did yours took a shortcut and used the nail heads that come on a strip, rather than separate ones that you pound in individually. I would never have done that, and I enjoy refinishing my finds, especially when they're a great bargain like yours! I see that we're both zone 5, but sadly, you're in CO and I'm in Maine.

I bought this balloon chair from Craigslist years ago -

I re-did both the fabric and the finish -

Even with one of my rescue dogs, Riley, helping every step of the way! After I had stripped it of the original fabric and had painted the frame. He has 'helped' me do a LOT of chairs!

And almost done. He's right beside me now...on the floor, which is rare!

mmmm12COzone5 thanked My3dogs ME zone 5A
  • maifleur03
    3 years ago

First nice dogs. Second here it is a tandem effort if a piece has both wood and upholstery. Once the wood is ready it is sent to an upholstery workshop. When finished it is sent back to the woodshop. If it left at an upholstery shop it if first sent to the woodshop. Few have the ability or space to do both.

mmmm12COzone5 thanked maifleur03
  • mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

After enjoying the look of these in my living room for over a year we decided to get them done in real cowhide. I have seen other chairs in cowhide and had no reaction to them Plus I love the look.

In progress:

Stripped. They are alder wood.

The hides:

Two views of hide #1.

Hide #2.

Anyone care to take a shot at photo shopping the hide patterns onto the chairs? I woild love to see different takes on laying out the pattern. I plan to do some examples myself but those with more of a creative eye are more likely to come up with some exciting options.

This is the guy doing the work so you can see some of his previous creations. It is the perfect style for these chairs.

https://rockin-mountain-hides.weebly.com/previous-inventory.html

• tozmo1
    2 years ago

Looks like you are in good hands. Looking forward to seeing the finished chairs.

mmmm12COzone5 thanked tozmo1
  • lindac92
    2 years ago

Glad to see you still have them and are working on them....will you leave them the light color? Or restain dark? Love the cow hides!!!

The chairs are Empire Revival, probably very early 20th century....if they weree arly 19th century Empire they would have been mahogany and slightly different in styling.

Can't wait to see them finished!

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Lindac92,

We asked that they be restained back to as close to the original stain as possible. Although after seeing them light colored when stripped it was tempting to leave them light colored. However we fell in love with them with the dark red wood and all the old examples on ebay and in museums are dark so we wanted to stay true to the original design.

He sent us photos of stains next to the original finish yesterday. We picked Sedona Red and Rosewood as close so he doing two test spots on the underside to see how it looks.

I loved looking at his previous projects to see the different effects of the cowhide pattern placement. Not quite sure what type of placement, light, dark, spots, white etc to do for ours. Alot of possibilities with those two hides.

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Pics of the redone chairs and description of the restoration on this link.

https://rockin-mountain-hides.weebly.com/previous-inventory.html

We pick them up tomorrow.

I am really looking forward to seeing them.

• lindac92
    2 years ago

Fabulous!!

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I am beyond disappointed. The color of the wood is a chocolate with undertones. it doesn’t look good in our living room at all.

The only thing we can think to do is paint them. But i dont know if we can do that with the hides on. At a loss....

• lindac92
    2 years ago

The pictures you posted first looked great.....

I would suggest a gel stain to darken them....VERY carefully....sliding foil between the wood and the hide. Did they not show youa sample of the stain they would use?

You can lay a semi translucent stain over the finish, and when dry seal with a clear coat....or let the color wear away where you put your hands.

They doo look a little like hot cocoa in the second picture!!

The upholstery can be removed and the chair restained.

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion lindac92.

i had asked that they be stained as close to the original as possible. I also gave him a verbal description of the cautions you mentioned about the wood maybe not accepting stain well and mentioned gel stain as a possibility.

He sent us pictures of stain cards next to the original finish asking us what we wanted. We said in the pictures it looked like red sedona and rosewood were the closest. He said he would get small cans and try them on the underside. We didn’t hear anything back and I didn’t worry about it. i just figured all was going fine. You can see in his web site he has tons of experience and lots of good looking results.

Next pictures and communication they had this weird putty look to them. Red sedona had been used but then he put a solid version of red sedona over the curved part of the wood which caused this putty look.

But as you can see in some pictures the final product looks fine. in person they have a painted asthetic which doesn’t go with anything in our house.

Yesterday we discussed painting them black, looked up reviews for gel stain and reviews for rustoleum furniture transformation kits. I also talked to minwax about their polycrylic finish coat and if we could go over it. They said to sand it off with 150 or 120 grit paper.

i then slept on it over night and decided to try to sell them on Craigslist for the amount we spent on the refurbishment, $600 each. The deciding factor was that I bought them for the wood look and the best we could probably hope for was a painted asthetic. I really don’t think I would ever love them painted. However lots of people, particularily younger people love painted wood furniture. On Houzz people are updating their wood furniture by painting it all the time.

They are brand new cowhide, have new webbing, comfortable new foam and were completely reglued so are rock solid. This may appeal to someone who wants eclectic chairs.

Very disappointed but I really didn’t feel I should micro manage the process. He has loads of wood working experience and I have none. I trusted him to put the brakes on and take corrective action if things were going sideways or the stain wasn’t working out and that didn’t happen.

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I was taking pictures to list them on Craigslist and my husband commented that we shouldn’t sell just the rocking chair since that was his favorite. I asked where we would put it since they didn’t look right in the living room. He suggested this corner of the family room, in replacement of our existing chair. This room has black painted furniture with a slight distressing with red at the distress points. I have to admit I really liked it there.

We have tried the other one in multiple places in the house and if it is near natural wood I don’t like it.

However with painted wood it reads a tasteful red and adds a pop of color.

I like the hide patters on both of them. With this one having a slight edge because it had more rich browns.

Unfortunately both of them in this corner is too cluttered looking for the room.

I was happy to see that my gut feeling that they would look good with painted furniture was true. When I was researching painting them yesterday someone had a picture in their review of a black piece with red showing through the distressing and I thought that might look really good with these. We still aren’t planning to refinish them ourselves. We just paid a professional to do it so I have no thoughts that our attempt would turn out better.

• nhb22
    2 years ago

The chairs do not look bad in your room although that stain color is odd. Unless you can get your money out of them, I'd keep them. You put a lot of work into making them nice chairs.

I recovered this chair using some faux cow hide. For the price, plus free labor, I think the chairs looks good.

• eastautumn
    2 years ago

So sorry to hear you don't love them after all the work you paid to have done to them. I think they look gorgeous, but can see what you mean about how they look better next to painted furniture. I hope you find a perfect spot for them where you can really enjoy them.

mmmm12COzone5 thanked eastautumn
  • H D
    2 years ago

Thanks for sharing your experiences. The chairs are gorgeous, but I understand why you are disappointed. Please let us know what you decide to do!

mmmm12COzone5 thanked H D
  • mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Nhb22, your chair is gorgeous.

Mine have been posted on craigslist, pretty much since we got them back. No responses yet. They would look great in a grey room. The red color would be perfect.

In the mean time I am getting used to them. But the reason i bought them in the first place, is gone. The gorgeous wood is hidden. I do really like the cowhides. I admire that about them everytime I see them.

I tried to delete this thread because it is painful to see how gorgeous the chairs were and see them looking painted now. But for some reason the houzz delete button doesn’t work.

• nhb22
    2 years ago

Thank you!

Did you try to "report" your post? Look at the little flag next to your title. I have no idea if this will work.

mmmm12COzone5 thanked nhb22
  • eastautumn
    2 years ago

Have you talked to the person who refinished them and told him how disappointed you are that the wood was not refinished to your specifications?

It's strange because in his photo shoot, they look so much more red than they do in your space. Maybe it's the different lighting. I noticed that he mentions (in the description of the work) that he states the Alder wood wouldn't take traditional transparent stain and that there were a lot of imperfections to "mask," so he had to use "solid stain" instead. I've seen exterior "stains" and they are basically paint that covers up the wood grain. I think he should have told you this before proceeding. Maybe if you let him know how disappointed you are, he would consider refunding you and selling them from his web site. Just a thought.

mmmm12COzone5 thanked eastautumn
  • mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Nhb22,

Yes I tried the red flag report button, but that didn‘t do anything.

eastautumn,

Your ideas are good and I did think about asking him to sell them through his web site on consignment, where he could pay me back when they sold. But I never followed through. Just have other stuff I’m dealing with. He also advertises on Craigslist since that is where I first saw his work. Obviously with more success than me since his products sell.

Meanwhile I have two empty spaces in my living room where these chairs sat. When I get around to it I will probably buy two brand new chairs and give up on the idea of unique project chairs.