jennifer_horchem

Painting/prepping plywood

Jennifer H

Much to my surprise when I pulled off the last piece of wallpaper in our 1950 mid-century modern ranch, I discovered that underneath was not drywall but plywood. To be technical, underneath the wallpaper was some sort of paper then the plywood. Plywood appears to have been painted or primed at some point. Rest of room is covered in some sort of dark birch veneer in top condition that we plan to leave.
We're thinking of either (1) simply painting the plywood and add some molding to create mock MCM panels, or (2) re-papering. In some areas, if you touch it the paint flakes off. If painting, should I sand down what is there to get to bare wood? I have a heavy duty, thick primer that I picked up for paneling that I wondered if I could just put that over what's there. If papering, how to prep? Still prime?
Thanks in advance...