Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lscheffler86

Hoping for kitchen layout opinions please

lscheffler86
4 years ago

Hi, I’m looking for opinions on my kitchen layout options. We have had an architect/kitchen designer draw up plans and we still can’t decide the best design and use of the space. My concern with the island layout is that the kitchen exterior door opens too close to the island (this entry is used most frequently) and would have to be moved which is shown in the picture. We recently widened the opening between the dining room and kitchen to create a more open feel and I think that the peninsula will create a barrier. We are hoping to create more storage and better seating/gathering options. We are a family of five that likes to cook together and get together frequently with friends and family. This is not a big space that we are working with. I’m also not sure about the tall pantry cabinet and built in banquette... One or two cabinets?
Thanks in advance for your time!

Comments (9)

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    4 years ago

I like the first plan, but I'd make the banquet bench and pantry cabinet 18" deep. While the kids are young the banquet will work, and as they grow, you can migrate to the DR. Or, use the banquet when there are only four of you eating a meal. Just make sure the bench can be removed, to use a small table with two chairs, when the kids are grown and gone.

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

I like the first plan best. The second one feels too blocked off, which some may find a plus, but I prefer movement through a space.

• lscheffler86
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you both for your input.
    Mama goose, do you think one pantry cabinet is better that 2 and do you think I need to relocate the entry door so that it’s not directly behind the island?
    Thinkdesign, I like the idea of using the dining room more, and we do eat there as a family a few times a week, but I also enjoy casual card games in the kitchen around the 48” round table that we used to have. Shoes and coats and backpacks are definitely a problem! I’ve thought about closing in the small covered porch to create a mud room. Two of my kiddos are already teenagers and have their friends over and they tend to gather and eat in the kitchen, never the dining room.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

In my world, two pantry cabinets are always better than one. ;) But, you need space for kids to get to the bench, and then space for them to sit comfortably without the, "Mom, he's touching me!" drama.

Your plan is difficult to read, but I'm interpreting the measurement as 13'2 1/2", so if you keep the island to 40-41", and the work aisle to the NKBA recommended minimum of 42", you should have at least a 50" walkway behind the seating. It looks as if there is a window in the entry door, for anyone entering to do a visual before barreling through. You might need to train family members to tuck under the stools when not in use.

If you're still concerned about the person on the end getting whacked with the door, you can reconfigure seating to put one on the short side. Since pantry cabinet is not as deep, and table seating probably won't overlap, that might be safer. You would still have the option of using the extra seat when friends are over (just lock the door). Finding that two of your kids are already teens, I'm not so sure the table will be long enough, though.

Would it be possible to put wider, shallower pantry cabinets between the entry doors? Then make the table and bench longer? ETA--this looks too crowded to me, and you'd also lose the window, so this isn't my favorite.

• lscheffler86
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here are the measurements from the door and a proposed curve

• lscheffler86
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I’m open to any ideas/thoughts for layouts! Thanks!

• lscheffler86
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Mama goose, thanks for your input. Do you think it makes sense to move the fridge (counter depth)to the right of the sliding door? Since we widened the space between the kitchen and dining room the fridge feels like a big barrier. (Even though we already moved the wall back 9 inches behind the fridge so that it would be counter depth)!

• felizlady
    4 years ago

With the family dining area already in the kitchen, you don’t need seating at the island. Without stools at the island, if you have 42”-48” of open walkway around the island, it will work nicely.