Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oeste

What color would be best for our shutters?

Susan B
4 years ago

We are looking to repaint our shutters and wonder what color would be best. Initially I thought blue, but now am considering cream, with the possibility of buying a new front door that we paint a highlight color.

We can’t afford new landscaping right now but I could buy planters to flank the entry. Any advice is welcome, though it won’t be very relevant unless it’s doable on a small budget. Thank you in advance!

Comments (19)

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    4 years ago

Those are the tiniest pseudo-shutters I’ve ever seen. Remove them.

• Nelly Bluth
    4 years ago

No shutters. They don’t go with the style of windows you have.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

None . The windows and the entry door should not have shutters at all. I like the idea of that blue for the rest.

• Susan B
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Wow. Unanimous consensus! @chiflipper that article is hilarious, and now I realize I am the ignominious owner of shudders.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

I don't think painting the shutters will have any positive effect on the appearance of the house. Leave it until there are enough funds to paint the siding.

• Susan B
    Original Author
    4 years ago

A concern is that taking down the shudders will make my ugly house even more pitifully plain. Aside from painting the door a contrasting color and helping the garage door blend in, is there anything I can do to help this poor house hold her head high?

• chiflipper
    4 years ago

Sadly, "shudder plague" is endemic in my area. Beef up your window trim instead.

• Susan B
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@BeverlyFLADeziner can siding be painted? I thought paint wouldn’t take.

• Susan B
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@chiflipper what kind of trim would be fitting for my house style? Do you by chance have any examples?

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    4 years ago

Ohhhhhhhhh boy! they are all not right size!

• Susan B
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@housegal200 I like your ideas. The tree by the garage is holly and I’ve wondered if it needs to be taken out because it wants to be bigger than the space allows. What do you think? Or if I trim it, how far back should I cut it?

• Denita
    4 years ago

Susan B, as the others pointed out the shutters don't work with the windows. I think chiflipper has the right name for it - a "shudder plague" and it's been going on for decades. Most homeowners have no idea, mainly because they have only seen shudders IMO. Once you learn about shutters, it's impossible to un-see shudders:)

Agree that beefier trim around the windows would look great, something like this:

Upper Saddle River Garrison Colonial · More Info

• Susan B
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@denita this is helpful. Thank you. My husband thinks our upper windows are awkwardly placed and wants to add one in the center, but that is not currently in the budget.

• Denita
    4 years ago

I really don't think anyone would look at your two-story home and say that there is a missing window. Landscape appropriately. Most people look at people height things and not gaze at the upper story IMO/IME.

Having said the above, I would change out the front door. That oval window front door is a Victorian style which doesn't go with your home's style.

• Susan B
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@denita yes!! What style door would be fitting for our home? I agree that the current door is soooo wrong.

• Denita
    4 years ago

You could go with a solid panel door (4 panel is common, this one is a 3-panel door below) or one with windows, just not an oval. See example pics below:

Hamptons Exterior · More Info

pale yellow front door with blue siding - Google Search · More Info

modern farmhouse exterior doors no windows - Google Search · More Info

• Susan B
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you, these are helpful examples, Denita. My hubs would love to add sidelights similar to your first example, but I’m concerned that may be taking on too much for this stage. I guess I could get a cost estimate just to dip my toe in that idea. But any of these doors would make coming home a more pleasant experience! 💕