Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
breathern

Kitchen galley style

Donna Pritchard
4 years ago

Recent update in the kitchen. Now I’m trying to decide what to do with a blank wall. Initial plan was to update the kitchen and have the breakfast nook at the area after the last appliance. When all said and done there is no room for a breakfast nook.
I cannot figure out how to utilize a blank wall without taking much of the walk way to the back deck.
The first picture is our kitchen on a larger scale. The next picture is an idea for the wall. Not sure of the drawers, and other items underneath. We are thinking of the the counter top and add a couple stools.
These old houses have issues but now all the children are gone. No grand babies running around. It’s a great starter home or retired couple. The reason I say this is they did not use insulation between the floors or in the walls so noise can be an issue for those who love the quite.
Need suggestions please!!

Comments (13)

• Donna Pritchard
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here is the wall picture #2

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

Could you just draw a floor and show what wall you are talking about and post the wall drawing right side up

• acm
    4 years ago

yeah, in your first photo I thought you meant the wall to the right, and in the latter set, looks like we're discussing a hallway to the left... ??

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Why is that wall slightly bumped out? Could you use the stud space in the wall for storage? Houzz article--stud bay storage

Scroll down in this thread for pics of GW member cindyandmocha's shallow pantry cabinets, recessed into stud space. Finished kitchen

If you're just looking for seating ideas, what about a wall-mounted folding table?

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

As you suggest ...There is no space to put a table in the walkway...and it is not possible to suggest other options without seeing the rest of the space...perhaps a picture from the patio door showing the whole space will offer ideas....and sometimes a half wall in front of the door...kind of like a foyer....( with different placement of surrounding furniture) can eliminate the walkway and offer more space to use as a nook ...

• Donna Pritchard
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Patricia the bump out is there when the previous owners built the addition. I have been so angry at the wall appearance. It was supposed to be demolished and re-dry walled. Still see the uneven mud areas. A lot of these old houses do the drop leaf bar. On the other side wall is a closet and bathroom. Met with an educated stone representative yesterday. The countertops were sold as quartzite, quartzite. Its really marble. Ill be doing reviews on the countertop company. I just want to be finished with the project. We were told the wall would never be even because of previous reno project and the wall being uneven. During this reno project my Dad and daughter died so its hard to keep up with all the nuances of the reno. It’s a 1934 Georgian and I believe the reno was in the 60s. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

• Donna Pritchard
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Im not sure these will help.

• Donna Pritchard
    Original Author
    4 years ago

btydrvn, there is room for a small countertop and area to put couple stools. The picture below looks narrow. Wouldn’t use all the cabinet or other items underneath.

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

Looks like shallow pantry shelving like above pic would come in handy along that wall...seating would be awkward as the counter would need to be at,east 24” to fit your legs under ...and you would be staring at a solid wall when seated

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

Decorative open shelving above...may also disguise the wall imperfections and you never have too much storage in a kitchen..you can collect interesting containers and display items to avoid the functional “grocery store” look

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

Personally ... i love having everything in open view for easy access..and the narrow “counter” is perfect for small appliances ..rather than take up real counter space or the need to take out of cabinets when needed

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    4 years ago

I don't have more advice for your seating dilemma, but I just wanted to say how sorry I am for the loss of your loved ones, especially your daughter.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor