Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lama_elnaggar

Coffee Table shape dilemma

Lama
4 years ago

I have 2 - 96" wide sofas facing each other. I am planning on using these tables as my coffee table. Only problem I don't know whether to use the rectangular or square version of the table. Note - ignore the sofa in the right corner of the picture (not one of the ones facing each other will be removed) and I will be putting 2 small ottomans which will be adjacent to the coffee table and a console table behind them. I have roughly outlined both options for visualization.

Which shape do you guys think would be best?

Console table ill be using behind ottomans

Comments (10)

• partim
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

How much space will there be between the edge of the sofa seat and the edge of the coffee table? Should be 14 - 18".

40" seems short for a 96" sofa.

• calidesign
    4 years ago

I think the square shape is better for the coffee table, but you need to pull your sofas closer together onto the front of the rug so they are both close enough to use the coffee table. You can put the tall console table behind one of the sofas. If the room is symmetrical, I would put the console behind the sofa on the wall and keep the space by the window open. You can use the ottomans alone in the space across from the fireplace, which will also keep from blocking off the room. This example shows the console table on the wall side, and chairs instead of your ottomans.

Ellen Grasso Inc · More Info

• partim
    4 years ago

In addition to the 14-18" between the coffee table and the sofa, you also need a minimum 36" pathway to walk between the coffee table and the fireplace hearth, and another 36" between the ottomans and the console table.

Looking at your photos we can see that your drawings are not to scale, so we can't tell which table, if either, would fit.

• Lama
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@partim You're right its not to scale, the space would be 40" between the sofa and the coffee table. I can pull the sofas closer I just feel like that would make the room feel smaller. Its such a large room that's why Im stumped. And I believe there will be about 36" between coffee table and fireplace. Thanks for your feedback

• Lama
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@calidesign Thanks for sharing your perspective I will give that layout a try and see how I feel about it!

• Lama
    Original Author
    4 years ago

What would you guys recommend for either side of the fireplace?

• partim
    4 years ago

To the left of the fireplace (window side) a large plant. To the right, wall art.

• partim
    4 years ago

Pulling sofas away from a wall actually makes the room feel spacious because you have some space and shadow behind.

My matching and facing-each-other sofas are 93" long and I have a 37" square coffee table between them. They are 23" from the coffee table, and yes, that is actually a bit of a reach to put down a cup or glass, but I prefer it because it leaves more room for people to pass by each other when the sofas are full of people. Maybe this picture will be helpful to you. I have different wall art and other furniture at the ends now, but still the coffee table and 2 sofas.

I do find my square coffee table is a bit too short, with the people sitting on the ends not as easily able to put down a beverage. The people sitting at the ottoman end of your sofas will have this problem, in your plan, consider getting a long long coffee table, and I wouldn't match it to the console table either. It's a little too "furniture showroom" and not in a good way. The ottoman or ottomans can go beside the fireplace. Or be sure the ottomans have trays so people can put things on them. Hope this helps!

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    4 years ago

I am in love with oversized coffee tables! I would go with couple rectangular tables and move sofas on the rug.

The U project - Tel-Aniv · More Info