Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_773124980

Parlour Palm is trying to tell me something...

Laura
4 years ago

I bought a parlour palm in the summer in IKEA (probably not the best place to purchase a plant from to be honest!) It sprung to life immediately and for maybe 2 months.

I started to see brown tips on each leaf so I suspected the air was too dry and underwatering. I have a humidifier for all my plants and they are thriving and some have pebble trays too. Tried both methods with my palm - no luck.

I had to cut off 2 stems due to them going super brown. It's not an watering problem as I always use my finger in the soil system, as well as my moisture meter. My apartment is a south facing block so I had my palm halfway back, where it thrived for a bit. I've moved it to my bedroom now which has sliding panels so it's quite shaded to see if it helps. Still nothing.

I just did my last resort which was to repot with new fresh soil and fertilizer.

No improvement.

Could anyone give me some tips on how I can bring it back to life. :)

I've owned a parlour palm before and it was amazing so i am so confused by this one :/

Comments (16)

• iochroma
    4 years ago

It isn't a parlor palm; I can't see the base of the stems, but it's probably a majesty palm, and they never do well in typical house situations. They are fast-growing, cheap, and unsuited for a houseplant. If you can't put it outside, toss it into the compost, and get a parlor palm.

• Photo Synthesis
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I can't believe I didn't catch that, but I commented on this when it was still very, very early in the morning, lol. That is a majesty palm, and not a parlour palm. Parlour palms (Neanthe bella) are significantly smaller in size, and are much better suited for growing indoors. Majesty palms make horrible indoor houseplants, because they require lots of sunlight in order to thrive.

These aren't mine, but I thought I'd share it to better illustrate the actual size of these cute little palms. I prefer them over the much larger majesty palm. They're significantly cuter and much easier to care for as a houseplant.

• Embothrium
    4 years ago

Potting medium may be too wet for this time of the year. Also taking a magnifier and using it to inspect the leaves may reveal a mite infestation - this problem is certainly prevalent on actual parlor palms being held in ordinary indoor conditions in my area at any rate.

• Laura
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Wow guys, this is great feedback. Now that it is identified as a Majestic palm and silly me for not actually comparing the two. The reason I moved it to less light was it was starting to brown very quickly (my first thought was it was getting burnt from the sun) in the lighter spot which is bright indirect daylight BUT not next to my south facing window - a bit further away.

I thought it was too much light for the palm. I will slowly introduce it back to that area now and hope for the best. My home is open plan.

However, as ye have mentioned, it does not do well indoors, I will probably end up opting for a parlour palm that will thrive in my apartment.

I really appreciate the advice guys and thank you so much :)

• Matt z5b - Greenhouse 10a
    4 years ago

Yes that it's a majesty palm lol ! Any palm grown inside will eventually struggle. All palms need as much light as you can give. They do need to dry up quite a bit all the way through the bottom slightly. It's not warm enough in a house to have it constantly moist like you would outside in the summer. The pot size and soil seem ok, it's the extra light and less water to see if it comes back.

• Embothrium
    4 years ago

Pot is actually quite small relative to size of existing top. With house plants in general there is a tendency for watering needs to vary seasonally, with more being needed in summer than in winter. However your palm is producing a new leaf, as though it thinks it's summer.

• RRfromR Zone7 VA
    4 years ago

I also bought a majesty palm from Ikea and so far, it's been doing great, and growing new leaves. It's in a sunny spot inside and I water it maybe once per week. As much as I can't stand Ikea because of the company's deforestation actions all over Europe, I have to admit that they have cheap and healthy plants. Mine was $14 I think.

• Laura
    Original Author
    4 years ago

RRfromR - you're palm is looking great, I'm quite jealous now!

I've moved mine to a brighter spot where my weeping fig and snake plant are and see how it goes for the spring. The two new leaves will hopefully open up by then.

Do you guys suggest I cut off the two very dead looking branches to promote the growth for spring?

• Photo Synthesis
    4 years ago

Leave any foliage that hasn't completely died back yet. As long as the leaves are still viable, they'll continue photosynthesizing food and energy for the rest of the plant. Even when these leaves begin dying back, leave them until they've at least turned completely yellow. Because the reason they turn yellow is that the plant is in the process of reabsorbing any chlorophyll and other nutrients that can be used elsewhere. Cutting these leaves off prematurely will cause these to go to waste and your plant will have to start from scratch. Also, cutting them off prematurely won't stimulate your plant into growing new leaves, because your plant is already growing new leaves. You'll just be setting your plant back. Now it may not look pretty, but in the long run, your plant will be much better off using these leaves to photosynthesize even more food and energy for you plant while they still can. Your plant will decide when these leaves are no longer useful.

• Embothrium
    4 years ago

RRfromR's plant should also be checked for mites because it looks stippled (has fine speckling visible).

• RRfromR Zone7 VA
    4 years ago

Embothrium, thank you! Can you tell that I'm a newbie? Could it be also from spraying it with water? We have hard water. Should I spray it with a horticultural or neem oil? I have small kids and a (well-behaved) dog so I want something non-toxic. TIA!

• Photo Synthesis
    4 years ago

Absolutely no need to spray any plants with water. This does nothing to increase the relative humidity, and it may lead to many other problems that could easily be avoided.

• Embothrium
    4 years ago

If when using a magnifier you don't see mites then don't treat your palm for mites. Same with whatever else might be making it have small yellow spots - don't treat for anything until you find out what is actually happening.

• Matt z5b - Greenhouse 10a
    4 years ago

In your situation I would leave the older branches alone. When they completly die then you can remove. There's a differance in keeping them for outside and having them as "house plants". unfortunately you can't go off putting fingers into the soil and moisture meters. The top 3-6 inches can be dry as hell but the bottom 3-6 inches could be soaking wet. That's where it really matters.

I have two big ones that look a little rough. I am not worried because they always do this due to on the north side and neglect.

• iochroma
    4 years ago

Majesty palms are poorly suited as houseplants. They almost always look wretched after a short stay in the house. They are highly prone to spider mites. Here in our mild climate they recover and begin to grow when put outside.

If you can’t put them outside, cut them up and put them it the compost, and give the space to a proper indoor palm. Lesson learned.