Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jamielynnschroeder

Refrigerator in Kitchen Corner - Cabinet Above It Dilemma

Jamie Schroeder
4 years ago

Re-doing kitchen. Custom cabinets are being installed currently. We have a tiny kitchen, so we chose to go with a 30" WIDE refrigerator VS a counter-depth refrigerator, which means it is standard depth. It sits in a corner by itself. Cabinet company made a 30" depth panel for side of fridge (to hide the whole side) with standard 24" depth cabinet for above fridge. Carpenter wants to cut side panel to 24" depth to align with cabinet, but I want cabinet pulled out from wall to align with panel, AND this would then make cabinet front and side panel "flush" with refrigerator rather than having refrigerator stick out! What would you do? Agree with carpenter and let fridge stick out in front by 6" and on side by 6" OR am I right in thinking cabinet and panel should go all around to cover fridge? Hope this makes sense...thank you so much AGAIN for advice!

Comments (9)

• Super Lumen
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Well, they don't make 30" refrigerator panels so you can cut them back to 24" depth. That is why they make 24" depth panels as well.

If you never plan on having a counter depth fridge, why would you cut it back? 30" panels exist because they are made to come out and cover the side of a full depth fridge. Your contractor is nuts. If anyone wants a counter depth fridge in the future, you can always unscrew that panel and cut it then. I mean, if I were you I'd loose faith in your carpenter that he would even consider cutting it back.

He is going to have to shim that upper cabinet 6" out from the wall. Most common method is a 2x6(5.5" actual inches) + 1/2 plywood. 1/2" plywood is actually like .462 or so, so it will leave that upper cabinet just shy of 6", you can use door shims to perfectly align it to the front of the fridge panel before screwing them together.

Jamie Schroeder thanked Super Lumen
  • Jamie Schroeder
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Agreed and appreciate both your responses - I just ordered another 30" deep side panel from our Cabinet company. Carpenter totally agreed that would be best. He just made a mistake and thought we had ordered a counter-depth fridge. He is more than willing to eat the cost of new panel. He actually is an amazing carpenter and we have only hired him for all custom work previously - and we are VERY particular customers! Still very much appreciate the advice on "how to attach cabinet" Super Lemon! Thanks again!

• PRO
    The Kitchen Abode Ltd.
    4 years ago

Use the 30" width panels and pull the upper fridge cabinet forward. It's no big deal, we do it all the time. The problem seems to be that you have a non-custom installer installing custom cabinetry.

Jamie Schroeder thanked The Kitchen Abode Ltd.
  • Sammy
    4 years ago

Glad to hear this was a false alarm. Good luck!

Jamie Schroeder thanked Sammy
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

My fridge cabinet does not touch the back wall. I hangs between the end wall and the panel. Since panel is 30" deep.

Jamie Schroeder thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Jamie Schroeder
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Love your backsplash and shelves Beverly!

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    4 years ago

Same here. 30” side panel, cabinet over fridge spaced out on blocking.

Jamie Schroeder thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • PRO
    Filipe Custom Woodwork
    4 years ago

That's a basic installation. all he has to do is create a 6" box on back so cabinet aligns to panel.

It's more work but hey you have to make your customer happy and do things right.

Jamie Schroeder thanked Filipe Custom Woodwork