sandlapper_rose

OBF February: Queen of Hearts for a Day

sandlapper_rose

You must be a member of the group Our Blooming Friends in order to participate in the swap or the games. If you are not already a member, please check with Shirley (brittneysgran) about group membership.
Take a moment to read our rules and then, Have fun!

1. Send your swap by the posted deadline for each swap.

2. No bickering. This is meant to be fun for everyone.

3. Send things that you yourself would want to receive.

4. Always include a Delivery Confirmation number and post it when you send your package.

There was a TV show long ago with the name “Queen for a Day”. I was inspired by that and the Queen of Hearts (because of Valentine's Day) so I combined them for the theme in this swap.

For the Swap: Please sign up by Feb. 8 and mail by Feb. 18. If you are sending Valentine items, it would be great if you're partner could receive them by Valentine's Day, but that seemed a bit rushed so I'm allowing for more time. You don't have to use any Valentine items in your package. That's up to you. However, Valentine themes being received after Valentine's Day are fine with me. Most of us think about the whole month of February relating to Valentine's Day. Keep in mind that Feb. 17 is a holiday and the post office will be closed.

What you will do to sign up: Post here that you want to sign up and when you do give yourself a name as QUEEN. (I think it would be best not to use the name of an actual living queen so select something else and don't duplicate the name someone else has used. I am going to be QUEEN AMBER.) You will also tell a few things about your “royal self”. This can reflect real life or can be fictitious. It will help your swap partner to think of things to send to you. Obviously anything Valentine related or heart related will be fine, but also look at what the Queen especially likes. Maybe dark chocolate, a personalized poem, seeds for growing magical herbs, fairy related items for her garden, etc. Let's try to keep the packages small and not too heavy. We all know how the postage rates are these days.

• sandlapper_rose

Great job in selecting names and telling about yourselves and your kingdom. We'll miss those who can't join in this month. That may be me in March. We keep getting more troubling news about my husband's back problems and I can now see why he has been in so much pain. Keep him in your thoughts and prayers. It's especially hard on us with no family in state to help out. When you hear about the blind leading the blind, I feel like the lame leading the lame. Both of us are moving poorly because of back issues.

• brittneysgran

Jeanne prayers for you and your husband and the back issues. I have always somewhat had back issues but in my old age it seems to happen more often. Today I was working in the downtown gardens and could hardly straighten up when I went to stand.. Of course 3 hours of gardening was a little much but it was such a beautiful day at 70 degrees I felt I needed to get it done.

Love your theme this month and everyone is such an awesome writer.

Will join and be back hopefully as a queen

Olld 6/13

Kimdee – This gets back to my pet peeve about “standard sizes” .. or lack thereof. I’m sure that mattress sizes are fairly standard, but not linens. And sometimes it’s easier for a manufacturer to make a single size they say fits queen & king, than bother making 2 different sizes. Apparently there’s no “size police” to tell duvet manufacturers that their “king” really isn’t! Guess I was lucky that I was just a volunteer newsletter editor/publisher, I could quit when it stopped being fun! :) Judy M – All of my quilt covers (aka “duvet”) I made myself from flat sheets. And with some fabrics, I’ve had the problem of the quilt sliding towards the bottom end, and I thought I should have put in a couple of Velcro strips at the top, to prevent that .. but never get around to it. STK – I come from a culture of planning in detail, so it’s frustrating being in a leadership position in a volunteer group, where they’re not used to being organized .. and don’t like it either. I’ve already seen how some people let things go until the last possible date, rather than trying to get things moving ahead of time, so there’s no rush.

HELP!!! Want to surprise my husband w/ a home office!

My "other" profession is records management (there's more crossover than one might think). From this, with experience including a 500 office re-design, I know that file storage is a BIG issue, e-files just as much but that is my other consulting biz. DO NOT get a lateral cabinet for storage if your space is tight. Vertical cabinets may be od fashion, but are more efficient--but file shelves are the best. Use end-tab folders and adjustable shelves to achieve 2-3 times the storage space in a smaller footprint. With good design, this can be a seamless aspect of book and collectible storage in your home office. Be productive (and pay attention to both the assets and liabilities that come with information resource management ;-)

How are Houzzers feeling about non design threads on Houzz?

I think when threads go off topic it's fine. After all we got together because we are interested it renovation and creative design. Getting rid of clutter. And upgrading dowdy kitchens and horrid bathrooms. Nice to tell people and get advice and opinions. If a little family history creeps in, who cares? often it's related to the topic.

Blah living/dining room! Solutions?!

In design school we learned to start with concept development. I find that helpful with clients now. There are always going to be pieces that catch your eye-- and illicit that " oooooh I like that" response. That's why you look at your concept, and ascertain if the piece fits or not. You have stated from the beginning that you want a look that is "now, not then". So apply this question to your choices:. Do you think this fixture fits your concept? Is it "now"? It might be pretty, and catch your eye, but if you want to move in a certain design direction then you need to frame your decisions based on your concept. Having followed your posts somewhat over the past year I think there is a middle ground between the red pendants previously posted and this traditional looking fixture. You are looking for updated, fresh, not really modern, and not old style traditional.
  • Susan Nieves - Happy Ohio Gardener

Jeanne, I hope you and your husband are feeling better soon. Back pain is the worst. It doesn't happen to me very often thankfully, but sometimes I get horrible back spasms in my back. I think it's from the inflammation when I do a lot of physical activity, like bending as Shirley was mentioning. I sometimes forget I am not a spring chicken anymore and tend to spend 5 or 6 hours outside in the garden only to pay for it later. It was 51 degrees here yesterday and if it weren't that I had to work until 7 pm, I would have been out in the garden too.

Shirley, I hope your back is feeling all better too. I agree with your sentiment about everyone being a good writer...we are a creative bunch and I have loved reading all the posts. Can't wait to read yours when you post later.

• Melinda Hagen

Sounds lovely to be a Queen! But I am going to pass! Doing one and have a lot of other things to do! Praying for all those with issues! Have wonderful time! Loved reading about all the Queens!

• sandlapper_rose

I'll get a game posted later this week. Members who aren't swapping this month, stop back to play a game! When I went outside yesterday I saw that I have 2 daffodils in bloom. Love them! I'll try to take a picture tomorrow before the rain shows up. With lots of rain, they will be all tattered.

• sandlapper_rose

Including a picture of one of my daffodils to start us off. Lots of rain and wind ahead for us the next few days. I hope others don't have even worse problems with the weather.

GAME TIME

I decided on Bingo and this is a mixture of words relating to queens, fictitious and in past history, and words that I associated with Valentine's Day. There are 28 words on the list. If you want to play, send your choice of 15 of them to me by Message by the end of the day Saturday (Feb. 8) and I will start to post words (2 at a time since it's a short month) on Sunday until the first person who has Bingo posts that here. Everyone in Our Blooming Friends can play the game even if you are not swapping this month. If we are getting close to the end of the month and no one seems close to winning, I will start to post 3 words a day.

Arsinoe

Artemisia

balloons

Boudicca

bouquet

bow and arrow

candy

card

chocolate

Cleopatra

Cupid

date

Elsa the Snow Queen

February

Hatshepsut

heart

Isabella

Jadwiga

love

Marie Antoinette

Nefertiti

Queen of Hearts

romance

Titania

Tomyris

twitterpated

Valentine's Day

Zenobia

• sandlapper_rose

Bingo words received from Annie (Fun) QUEEN FUN IN THE SUN OF THE CANYON PALMS

• ruthz

I love your theme this month but I'm going to pass.

We're in PA. visiting with my 94 year old MIL. Plan to be home Saturday or Sunday.

I'll be Royal watching thou.

• smitties

I love daffodils and that one is a beauty.

wanted to stop and share the news that our newest grandson became an official member of the family today. My son and dil were given him at birth but it took 6 months til it could be final. He’s a darling

• Susan Nieves - Happy Ohio Gardener

Jeanne your daffodil is so beautiful.

Margo, your grandson is precious! Congratulations!

• sandlapper_rose

Margo, so happy for your family!

• sandlapper_rose

We made it through the storms. We had quite the downpour and many areas in SC had flooding. There was an area about an hour's drive from here that had a tornado touch down. Today was very windy and way colder than it has been, but the sun was out all day. Seems like I ran errands for about 5 hours today. I really tire out from doing those things when it's so much in one day. Happy to be home to rest now. I think I'm going to take the book I'm reading and head up to bed early tonight.

If you are going to swap and haven't posted your queenly preferences, please let us know. Also, I hope a few more will play Bingo with us.

I can't believe Valentine's Day is just one week from now. My husband is in no shape to do anything for Valentine's Day but I'll see what I can do to pick up or make a good meal for us that day. I realized today that I need to get Valentines in the mail for our daughters, sons-in-law and grandkids really soon. I used to be good at planning ahead but not so good at that now. I hope I can get myself back on track.

Have a good weekend!

• amybabyboy3

Jeanne, I was hoping to play but am going to have to pass. Work is still really busy. It sounds like so much fun and I hope you all have a wonderful month! Take care, Amy

• sandlapper_rose

Annie, Susan (skyblue52) and Susan (HappyOhioGardener), I received your Bingo words.

So far we have 3 people signed up for Bingo.I hope another person or two will join in.

Today is the last day to sign up for the swap. I'll be providing partner names tomorrow.

Swapping so far we have:

Me (Jeanne)

Shirley (brittneysgran)

Annie (canyonwind)

Susan (HappyOhioGardener)

Susan (skyblue52)

Jayeanne (pinkiris)

• Susan Nieves - Happy Ohio Gardener

Hi Jeanne, I just PM'd you my bingo words

• brittneysgran

Jeanne just sent my Bingo words, thank you.

Snowed here today in the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Blake our Great Grandson

Sheila our Daughter

Snow Feb. 8

• pinkiris

Jeanne ... just sent BINGO words

• Susan Nieves - Happy Ohio Gardener

Shirley, I love the pictures, just beautiful. I think Sheila is enjoying the snow, but Blake seems undecided. I hope you enjoy!

• sandlapper_rose

Wow, look at that snow. I used to love to watch the big fluffy snowflakes fall. It seems we haven't gotten any snow for a few years now, but that may just be my lack of memory about it.

Bingo words received from Shirley and Jayeanne - so hooray, more Bingo players!

See everyone tomorrow. I think I'm going to head up to bed early.

• sandlapper_rose

Here are the swap partners for February.

Jeanne (Queen Amber) <-> Susan B (Queen Skyblue of Suncrest of Sunny Acres)

Jayeanne (Queen Alabama <-> Annie (Queen Fun in the Sun of the Canyon Palms)

Shirley ("TBA") <-> Susan N (Queen Yolandia of the Northeast)

BINGO Words

candy

heart (This word has been corrected to the right one.)

• pinkiris

QUEEN FUN (IN THE SUN Of THE CANYON PALMS) I will be mailing your package probably Tuesday.... love your name Queen FUN! LOL ....

a few blooms out there today ...

• pinkiris

Jeanne ... forgot to ask in above post, but ... Im not sure I have the right BINGO word list ...I dont see where conversation hearts is on the list, am I missing something or some words? thanks!

• canyonwind

QUEEN AMBER, I thought I was losing my marbles...again.... when I read the "conversation hearts" a few hours ago. I did not recall that on the list so I checked....LOL!! Hey QUEEN ALABAMA, maybe QUEEN AMBER is checking to see if we are paying attention...good one QUEEN AMBER!! Afterall, we QUEENIES need to be on the ball!!

QUEEN ALABAMA, looking forward to your send.

Happy Sunday!!

QUEEN FUN

• sandlapper_rose

Thanks for the message, Jayeanne. Looks like I just typed heart instead of "conversation hearts" so if you have heart on your list, check it off. I'm going to look through the list again in case I did some other condensing when I typed things.

• Susan Nieves - Happy Ohio Gardener

Jeanne, I hope you got a chance to rest up, and that both you and your husband will be feeling better soon. My husband almost always makes dinner for me at home for Valentine's Day and I am so thankful for that. A few years ago I wasn't sure how much time we would have left when he went through open heart surgery --- 5 bypasses and 90 - 100% occlusions on all his arteries. He is my miracle and I don't know what I would do without him. I am so grateful he is better now. It was a very long road for him and I cared for him through the ordeal which is just a blur to me now. I know your husband is thankful for your loving care as well....a testament to what true love really is....and the best Valentine's present anyone could ever give or receive.

Jayeanne, thanks for posting the lovely flowers...gives me hope that spring is not far away...

Have a good evening everybody.

Susan

• sandlapper_rose

Bingo words for today (2/10):

balloons

Isabella

• sandlapper_rose

Bingo Words (2/11):

Arsinoe

Boudicca

I had planned to tell something about the queens so here goes, including Isabella from yesterday.

Remember history class in school? King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella sponsored Christopher Columbus, an Italian explorer and in 1492 he discovered the New World and claimed the rich, unspoiled territory for Spain. Ferdinand and Isabella’s subsequent decision to encourage vigorous colonial activity in the Americas led to a period of great prosperity and imperial supremacy for Spain.

Arsinoe is the most fascinating female figure of ancient Thrace – mother to three heirs to the throne and a powerful queen of two kingdoms, Thrace and Egypt. She looms dominantly in the male realm of 3rd century politics, a period of intense intrigue, constant plotting and backstabbing. Arsinoe, as a capable diplomat, traveled to inspect the troops herself during the First Syrian War and is considered the mastermind behind its successful outcome. With her support, Egypt developed a strong navy and became the world’s most powerful maritime power of the time.

Most British schoolchildren know of Queen Boudicca (you will find other spellings of the name) as the warrior queen. Fiery red-haired Boudicca was the queen of the Iceni, a tribe based in modern day Norfolk, in eastern England. In A.D. 60, she led a revolt against the Romans that almost drove the empire off the island. Queen Boudicca had sprung into action, uniting several neighboring Celtic tribes growing weary of Roman oppression. After completely decimating the mighty Roman 9th legion, her troops marched on to the Roman centers of Londinium, Verulamium, and Camulodunum, slaughtering all who stood in opposition (as many as 70,000 Romans by some accounts) and leaving torched ruins in their wake.

A much photographed monument to Queen Boudicca at the end of Westminster Bridge almost opposite Big Ben.

• Susan Nieves - Happy Ohio Gardener

Very interesting Jeanne. Thanks for posting the history. I enjoyed reading it.

• canyonwind

Queen Amber, great reading!! Thank you! After reading the above, Joan of Arc, who was not a Queen, comes to mind. Women with so much strength and will.

Queen Alabama, a card is in the mail in the AM for you. I ordered something for you today and just received an email that it has shipped. If you get the card first......be a Queen and have patience and don't open it up until the package shows up.,,,Haha! We Queens can get bitchy and want "it" yesterday. This Queen Fun has been there and wants "it" if not yesterday...NOW!! I have learned that even though I am the Queen of the land, I to must wait. The package will be Direct delivery from Kohls. They do not have an eta yet but you never know with them...it might arrive Thursday or Friday.

Happy Evening/Morning.

Annie....edited to say Queen Fun

• sandlapper_rose

Bingo words for today:

love

Titania

Titania is a character in William Shakespeare's play A Midsummer Night's Dream. In the play she is queen of the fairies. Due to Shakespeare's influence, later fiction has often used the name Titania for fairy queen characters.

I had a small part of my tooth break off yesterday when a plastic storage bin feel from the top shelf in our upstairs linen closet and hit me in the mouth (Ouch!) and had to call for a dentist appointment this morning. Sure hope they can just smooth the rough part tomorrow and that will be it. I really have problems with dental work. Still waiting to get results on my husband's MRI earlier this week. I have postponed my appointment about my back - waiting to see what kind of follow up there will be for my husband. Hoping I can get outside to do a little garden work today when it is so nice.

Hopefully I can get my swap package mailed out this week. I'm excited to put it together.

Is anyone winter sowing? I have 9 jugs planted and 2 have sprouted so far. I hope I can get a few more prepared and planted, but we'll see.

• skyblue52

Jeanne I am in the race to get you some Valentine love. Your package from me is tracked for Friday . 9400128206335058236371. I also have a second gift being sent today .this is not a Valentine theme. Just a beautiful handmade gift for the Queen"s pleasure.

I love reading the great person articles. This will help with my trivia games.

hope your husbands MRI finds something that will help him recover from pain. In Dayton Ohio they have us on a winter avisery. Snow moving in. the challage weather will be Friday. zero wind chill with the snow/rain on the ground.

• brittneysgran

Jeanne hope DH's MRI will get him some answers. Sorry to hear about your tooth. I have a small fortune in my teeth. I now have 12 capped (crowned) teeth at 1200 a tooth. I could have bought a nice used car with that money and the dentist said I need to get another one fixed this year. Sheesh!!!

Melinda Happy Birthday Feb. 15th.

• brittneysgran

I almost forgot to post my Queen resume.

My friends actually call me the Queen of the Garden Club. Over the years I have met so many ladies and invited them to join our local Garden Club. Our group maintains two beautiful gardens in our downtown district. I probably have gotten 25 ladies to join over the years. The bad part is I can't sit next to each one and this causes a problem. I am a people person and love to talk especially about daylilies and other plants. I have the title beautification chairperson so I get to decide all the plants, trees and bushes that we plant in the gardens. We have workdays and everyone who can comes to weed, plant, rake leaves and mulch. I am also over the plant sale we have each May. All the businesses who have plants for sale donates nice plants and we also divide in the gardens and also our personal gardens. We usually raise around $2,000.00 for this endeavor.

This picture was taken too early for the hostas to be up but here are the 3 Rising Sun Red Buds we planted.

• Susan Nieves - Happy Ohio Gardener

I loved reading your post and seeing pictures of your Garden Club Shirley. What a noble cause...they are lucky to have a "Queen" like you!

• canyonwind

We certainly do have remarkable QUEENS amongst us....well, let's face it, we are all REMARKABLE!!

Jayeanne, I just checked your KOHLS tracking package. At this time, it looks like delivery will be on Tuesday....

Happy day!!

Annie

• sandlapper_rose

Lovely pictures, Shirley. Wow, you are one busy lady!

Susan, I received your package today and it's wonderful. I'll wait until tomorrow to post a picture and describe it. However, one piece of candy has been consumed and it sure tasted great! My package to you definitely won't be there in time for Valentine's Day. I'm hoping to finish it up and get it in the mail Saturday morning. Now, whether that means it will start to travel your way on Saturday or not, I don't know.

The dentist reported that I'll need to get a lot of that tooth with the chip replaced. Apparently it's weakened from prior fillings and he preferred to not even smooth it since more of the tooth might break off. I didn't schedule it yet since we are waiting to get a call scheduling an appointment for my husband with a neurosurgeon and I want to get that on the calendar first. I admit, I was just exhausted by this afternoon so I plan to be lazy this evening.

Here are the Bingo words for today (2/13):

Cleopatra

Hatshepsut

I must say the queens are insistent on being selected. How queen-like! I have the pieces of paper all folded up and in a sugar bowl and have no idea which I'm picking, but those Valentine words are letting the queens go first.

Cleopatra: Cleopatra VII, often simply called “Cleopatra,” was the last of a series of rulers called the Ptolemies who ruled Egypt for nearly 300 years. She was also the last true pharaoh of Egypt. Cleopatra ruled an empire that included Egypt, Cyprus, part of modern-day Libya and other territories in the Middle East. I suspect everyone who reads this has heard of her.

Hatshepsut: Hatshepsut was born circa 1508 B.C. Beginning in 1478 B.C., Queen Hatshepsut reigned over Egypt for more than 20 years. She served as queen alongside her husband, Thutmose II, but after his death, she claimed the role of pharaoh while acting as regent to her step-son, Thutmose III. She reigned peaceably, building temples and monuments, resulting in the flourishing of Egypt.

Since Thutmose III was too young to assume the throne unaided, Hatshepsut served as his regent. Initially, Hatshepsut bore this role traditionally until, for reasons that are unclear, she claimed the role of pharaoh. Technically, Hatshepsut did not ‘usurp’ the crown, as Thutmose III was never deposed and was considered co-ruler throughout her life, but it is clear that Hatshepsut was the principal ruler in power.

She began having herself depicted in the traditional king’s kilt and crown, along with a fake beard and male body. This was not an attempt to trick people into thinking she was male; rather, since there were no words or images to portray a woman with this status, it was a way of asserting her authority.

Hope you enjoy hearing about the queens who have joined us for Bingo. Several of them, I learned about in finding words for this game.

Wishing everyone a Happy Valentine's Day tomorrow. Maybe those Valentine words will pop up then.

• skyblue52

Glad it made it for Valentines. Did the second one come? You have a lot going on. As We get older the dentist just keep trying to get us eating. I have been avoiding after $1000s of work 2 years ago. Take your time with mine. This is supposed to be fun. Not stressing u out.

• sandlapper_rose

I was able to take a picture this morning of the swap items I received. Fantastic package from Susan! (Note to Susan: One so far???)

The plastic container is filled with candy and you'll see the lovely flower that Susan created from a pen and there's a lip balm and tomato seeds: White Queen and Dwarf Beauty King. These will have to go in my "royal garden". And how about the sign that reads "Save the Planet It's the only one with chocolate!" What a great saying! The candy is dark chocolate which Queen Amber especially enjoys. Thank you so much!

Bingo words for today (2/24)

date

Marie Antoinette

Marie Antoinette: Marie Antoinette is probably best known for her death as a queen shockingly executed by guillotine at the height of the French revolution. Since her reputation for fashion and trendsetting has lasted hundreds of years, this one might be surprising. Marie Antoinette’s interests ranged from riding – including sleigh rides, which she had fond memories of from her childhood in Austria – to gardening, interior decoration, the theater, and music. Marie Antoinette liked to help others wherever she could. She established a home for unwed mothers, and often made visits to poor families to distribute food and money. In contrast to her husband, Louis XVI, who often remained indecisive, Marie Antoinette took action to address the issues spurring the revolution, and to protect the royal family. She met with ministers and ambassadors, and corresponded with other sovereigns. Her increased involvement in politics led the king to rely on her advice, and he occasionally baffled his royal ministers by leaving the room to consult with her if she was not present at the meeting.

I hope everyone has a sweet Valentine's Day and be sure to stop and smell the flowers!

• sandlapper_rose

Bingo words for today (2/15):

Artemisia

February

Yes, those queens insist on me drawing their names.

Artemisia I of Caria was a Greek queen of the ancient Greek city-state of Halicarnassus and of the nearby islands. She fought as an ally of Xerxes I against the independent Greek city states during the second Persian invasion of Greece. She personally commanded her contribution of five ships at the naval battle of Artemisium and in the naval Battle of Salamis in 480 BC. She is mostly known through the writings of Herodotus, himself a native of Halicarnassus, who praises her courage and the respect in which Xerxes held her. Another Artemisia also is well-known – Artemisia II of Caria, satrap of Caria and builder of the Mausoleum at Halicarnnassus in the 4th century BC.

That word satrap was a new one for my vocabulary.

My package to Susan got dropped off at the local post office store this morning. I'm not sure it will make it out of town today, but possibly. Wishing everyone a good weekend!

• sandlapper_rose

Susan, the second package from you came today. A lovely horse design bracelet. It's so special and thank you so much. Brr! It's turning quite cold here. I spent a little bit of time this afternoon cleaning in the garage. That is something I can only stand to do before the hot weather shows up.

• pinkiris

QUEEN FUN ... aka ... IN THE SUN Of THE CANYON PALMS ...

Your card has arrived, and yes I will wait for the other part to arrive to open, will let you know when it gets here .... Thank you!

• sandlapper_rose

Bingo words for today (2/16):

Queen of Hearts

Valentine's Day

Cloudy and cool here today ... hmmm ... whether to clean or relax? I was surprised to see that I have a bud on one of my irises. They never bloom well for me and to have a bud in mid-February - first time for that! And the container that iris is in is jam packed. I thought they didn't like to be crowded? Apparently that iris doesn't know the rules!

I'll take a picture if the bud opens. My daffodils are staying in bloom a long time with the ups and downs in the temperatures so hooray for that, too.

• skyblue52

Hello friends a sunny day that leaves me ready to walk around the yard. Jeanne the white Queen is a large tomato that requires in ground staking. The dwarf king can be grown in a bucket. Part of the group of tomatoes Americans are experiencing. They have grown them in Europe for years for balcony gardens.

I hope you like mellissas creation. She customs slober straps and amazing brow bars for horses and collars for dogs.

• sandlapper_rose

Happy President's Day!

Here are today's Bingo words:

Tomyris

romance

As with other queens from long ago, you may find different spellings of the name and events told in different ways. 3,000 years ago the steppe territories of modern Kazakhstan were inhabited by powerful Scythians. The Greeks called them "centaurs who were born in saddles" and told legends about them. Nobody could conquer the rich lands of the Scythians. Enemies were especially afraid of the Scythian women who fought in wars on an equal footing with men. And the strength of their spirit inspired men and terrified invaders. The best of them was Queen Tymar named Tomyris in ancients chronicles.
    From childhood, Tomyris knew about weapons and saw military actions. Her mother passed away when Tomyris was a baby and her father raised her alone. There were uncountable times she had to flee together with her father. The future queen started riding when she was five years old and preferred the most obstinate horses. At the age of six she tried to fight with a Scythian-type short sword called akinak. After her father died she became ruler.
    In a battle, the Massagetae defeated the Persians. Scythian women participated in the decisive battle. Herodotus called this battle "the cruellest and greatest". The Persians lost and hadn't expected to see brave women on the battlefield. According to Herodotus, all the Persians, including Cyrus, were killed. That was the greatest blow to Persia. Tomyris’ victory over Cyrus became a legend and a symbol of freedom and strength of the Saka and the Massagetae army.

• Susan Nieves - Happy Ohio Gardener

Jeanne, thanks for the vivid postings about the queens. I wish I would have had a history teacher like you. I know you would have made it fun. I always found it mundane.

Shirley, getting your package together slowly and expect to get it out to you by the end of the week. I will post when I mail it.

Susan, you know so much about tomatoes. I know they are a passion for some people. I haven't had much luck with larger tomato plants and thing about growing some micro varieities in pots. Any ideas which ones taste great and have good yields?

• sandlapper_rose

Glad you enjoy reading about the queens. I also enjoy seeing who they were ... speaking of Queens we have two more for our Bingo words today!

Bingo words (2/18):

Nefertiti

Zenobia

Nefertiti: One of the most mysterious and powerful women in ancient Egypt, Nefertiti was queen alongside Pharaoh Akhenaten from 1353 to 1336 B.C. and may have ruled the New Kingdom outright after her husband’s death. Her reign was a time of tremendous cultural upheaval, as Akhenaten reoriented Egypt’s religious and political structure around the worship of the sun god Aten. Nefertiti is best known for her painted sandstone bust, which was rediscovered in 1913 and became a global icon of feminine beauty and power.

Zenobia: Zenobia was born around 240 AD in Palmyra, at that time a Roman province. In 269/70 AD, Zenobia sent her general, Zabdas, to claim the Roman province of Egypt as her own. With help from their Egyptian ally, Timagenes, the Palmyrenes were able to defeat the Roman prefect of Egypt and his army. To consolidate her position in Egypt, she claimed that she was a descendent of Cleopatra. Like the Ptolemies, Zenobia was a patron of scholarship, and even during her early reign, surrounded her court with intellectuals and philosophers. Following the conquest of Egypt, Zenobia then marched her army into Anatolia, conquering Roman territory as far west as Ancyra. Subsequently, she conquered Syria, Palestine and Lebanon using a blend of military might and ideological propaganda.

I enjoy growing tomatoes and plant some every year, but don't have lots of success. It's hard to get them through the very hot and usually quite dry summers. I have learned not to plant them in full sun here - it's just too much for them. The cherry tomato sizes seems to do the best, but I sure love a slicing tomato!

Susan, glad you enjoy reading about the queens. Almost all of this is new to me. We studied very little of that time in history when I was in school. Actually, nearly all of the history we studied was U.S. history and I'm always happy to learn new things about plants, places, history, people, etc.

• canyonwind

More incredible ladies.."QUEENS"....I don't hold a candle to any of these gals!! Zenobia marched her "ARMY"....I am a failure as a QUEEN as I do not have an ARMY!! I better get on the stick and get some boys and girls together. Thanks Jeanee for the info on these Queens.....very interesting indeed!

Annie

• canyonwind

Edited to add....

Queen Alabama, What a great package.....you sent me way to much!! BAD QUEEN!! LOL!!

A darling card....flamingos, of course!! A coffee mug that says, "QUEEN OF EVERYTHING".....yes, that is true. Well, I know it but not to many other people agree...haha! Coffee.....OH this Queen Fun loves her coffee. I already opened it up....smells to damn good Yummy treats for my canines....they will love these. I just gave them one each.....they say THANKS!! And then there are chocolate truffles for this Queen. How could I be so deserving??? OH and then there are seeds in a cute red pouch.....a mix of Queen Lime Red Zinnia, Queen Lime Orange Zinnia, Queen Lime Blush Zinnia, Sweet Pea Queen Of Hearts, Giant Violet Queen Zinnia, Table Queen Bush Winter Squash, Velvet Queen Sunflower. I am one happy Queen Fun In The Sun of the Canyon Palms. Thank you so much!!

Annie

• skyblue52

Everyone is finding great Queen seeds. Jeanne also got me some great seeds for my Queen Skyblue name. I love forget me knts and heavenly blue moring glory. I will try my hand at summer skies Delpimiums. They never make it tto the next year. I have heard it is to wet here. I got glittery crown buttons. I will look for a nice top for those. Crown and rose theme cupcake pick ribbions and stickers for my next creative project. Some crown cards for a quick hand of Eurce. And a beautiful addressed card to the Queen wishing me a wonderful day. even the "blue Skies" gift tag gave me a smile. Love this thoughtful package.

• canyonwind

Queen Alabama.....update....just checked tracking on your Kohls package.....delivery should be tomorrow!! Shall Queen Fun go enjoy a chocolate truffle.....Yes, she shall NOW!!

Tata!!

Edited....Queen Fun