Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kiwi_liv

Living area with multiple ceiling heights

kiwi_liv
4 years ago

Can anyone give me some advice on a house I am looking at. The family/living area has wonderfully raised ceiling, while the kitchen/breakfast area is standard ceiling height.

However, the living area feels too small for what I would like. There is a bedroom/study on the other side of the family room wall (see floor plan) - I was wondering if we took down that wall, would it look awkward/weird to transition to a single level ceiling on the other side of the living area. I've been scouting the web in search of idea, but not coming up with much (probably because I am not searching for the correct term). There is a bedroom that is needed above that study so it is not possible for us to carry the height all the way through.

Weird or not?

Comments (15)

• PRO
    Andrea Mason
    4 years ago

Hello! I'm not in love with this idea. I think if there's a wall you should get rid of this would be it, but it seems very forced. It would not be a smooth transition. You could make it work, but it wouldn't really help make the family room area larger. If you took down the wall it would look best as a separate sitting area, almost like a quiet living room area or a play room depending on if your lifestyle. I also am having a hard time finding a few photos conveying this concept. I think that if you search Houzz and Pinterest for ways to layout furniture for the existing family room you will find that there is plenty of space in there for seating. Good luck! Looks like a beautiful home!

• Lisa Dipiro
    4 years ago

We just did an addition that needed to be 8 feet then when we walk into the pre existing living room (it’s open concept now that we knocked down wall ) it has cathedral ceiling... i rather like it

• User
    4 years ago

Get rid of the half wall and put same floor kitchen n family. The room will look larger. Im sure it would also be ok to open study just keep the floor flowing together.

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

I would consider closing up that opening above the pony wall so the kitchen isn't in view from the family room so much. That will get rid of some of the choppiness and give you another wall for furniture/decor, and a great spot for a ginormous TV, if you're into that. Plus both rooms get plenty of light, so closing the opening shouldn't darken either space. Unifying the flooring throughout would also add a consistent foundation under foot that will be helpful. Darker flooring will also keep the eyes focused in more a of a downward direction, as will decorating below window and door frames. If you do a great job decorating where the people live, the ceilings will vanish away.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

reminds me of this room. I know the fireplace side on this one is higher, but look at the division between the kitchen. You'd have to call in an engineer to see what could be done about the ceilings and walls, but I like the way this is done. Modifying that half wall between your kitchen/LR area, and enclosing the patio, to give you a larger space would be perfect.

and don't forget, even removing that pony wall and redoing the flooring so that it's all the same throughout, will make it seem larger. right now it looks choppy because of that little wall, and the carpet and tile.

• pamtheartist
    4 years ago

I would get someone in to work out best furntiure arrangement - thats what looks odd to me. Maybe a large sectional sofa, large green plants, different artwork, cohesive color scheme - cosmetic changes are cheaper than construction. And I’d miss the light from kitchen area.

• felizlady
    4 years ago

The great room is sufficiently large, but the seller’s furniture layout is awkward. Keep the bedroom/study as is. Yes, another ceiling height in the great room would be strange. You have great windows and skylights.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

There is nothing small about that living space it is even a bit bigger than mine and I have seating for 8 and 10 in a pinch . All the furniture is what you need to address to make the space function for you. I actually dislike that huge difference in ceiling height but that is just me. I do however think another lower ceiling in part of the living space would be over kill.I do agree all one floor would be a good idea.

• PRO
    Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    4 years ago

Welcome to custom.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

The more open you make this plan, the more problems you will have with sound transmission. Here is a furniture layout for your great room. You can easily do the same plan using a sectional if you prefer.

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

I think proportions are the challenge in spaces like this..half walls...tiny fireplace opening and mantle..too much flat brick...(looks like a wall...not a fireplace)...sunken bookcases too far from fireplace....all add to the diminishment of the potential of a really grand room...the section you are wanting to include also looks like a cubby hole rather than an expansion...unless you design it for a special and appealing use such as a reading/game room..dining room or office?...the photos also distort the space a little so it is difficult to be sure how much room there really is...since the only interesting architectural feature at present is the ceiling i might consider some added beams or trim features to add a custom/quality feel to the space...

• julieste
    4 years ago

Just today I was reading one of Sarah Suzanka's books on remodeling (mentioned above by Robbin). Suzanka is a well-respected architect. Two things she said struck me about what you contemplate doing. She says that paradoxically removing a wall often actually makes a room feel smaller rather than more spacious. She recommends using varying ceiling heights as a way to delineate various different living spaces. Buy the book. Not so Big Remodeling.

• jbtanyderi
    4 years ago

It looks as though most of the wall between the LR and the K was removed, making an awkward transition.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

Waiting to hear what was supposed to be accomplished by taking down a wall and reducing the value of the home.