FOR PROS
Business tools custom-built for our industry

Say 'so long' to generic business software. Houzz Pro is designed for industry professionals like you.

sherrygirl5

Siloam and Spacecoast daylilies 2020

sherrygirl zone5 N il

I’m dividing the S daylilies into a few categories, today is Siloam and Spacecoast daylilies only. The quote for today is from Bill Waterson. He is the creator of Calvin and Hobbs comic strip. “ Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.”

I have no Spacecoast daylilies and a handful of Siloam daylilies.

Siloam Ethel Smith is my favorite of the group.

Siloam Double Delight has been a reliable performer a long time. It had its first off season this past year. Most of the blooms were down in the foliage, a definite disappointment.

I moved Siloam French Doll into a bit more sun after languishing for several years, it performed well in its new spot. I need a better photo, it’s difficult to see the eye in this photo, the only one I have.

Siloam David Kirchhoff

Siloam Plum Tree

Siloam Bye Lo

I have to take better photos next season of these Siloam daylilies, period!

Sherry

• Brad KY 6b

Nice Siloams, Sherry. Good quote. Bill Waterson is so funny and astute.

Siloam Amazing Grace, It has very heavy substance, reliable bloomer.

Siloam Plum Tree is in a less than ideal place, where I put daylilies that I don't really enjoy anymore but don't totally want to get rid of. It is pretty but way to small for my tastes.

That's all for me.

Brad

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Brad KY 6b
  • sherrygirl zone5 N il

Brad, I like Amazing Grace, good substance is always a plus. How tall is this one for you?

Sherry

• Nancy 6b

Siloams are such dependable plants. I don't have too many any more. I do like Ethel Smith, and love the flat open look of S. Amazing Grace.

S. Gumdrop.

S. Double Classic is my very favorite Siloam

Sp. Frances Busby is a great plant. Spacecoasts have not generally done well here, I have had several and this one has done well

Spacecoast Raspberry Mist does pretty well, but is a bit splotchy here. Not often splotchy so I don't know why I kept this photo of it

Spacecoast sea Shells has been here a few years, still just a couple of fans and not a lot of buds

I have S. Citrus Kick too, but don't seem to have a photo

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Nancy 6b
  • Brad KY 6b

Sherry, S. Amazing Grace is supposed to be 24" but is generally a little taller, which gets it out of the foliage.

Nancy, Spacecoasts don't do well here either. I had one once, Starburst. So pretty but hardly bloomed so I said bye. Must be the KY soil!

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)

Well, I pressed my luck with 8 photos and lost my post, so here I go again. Then I tried with 7 and lost that post. We will try one more time. (I saved my text to the clipboard before I tried to submit it so I don't have to start from scratch.
    I really like SC Frances Busby and Siloam Bye Lo. I like the small ones especially when they have a red eye.

We have only a couple of Siloams. Siloam Sugar Time is the only one I have a picture of.

We have many Spacecoast daylilies. Some do well and some not so much. Spacecoast Alpha Wolf was new last season. It really belongs to my daughter, who lives with us. She bought it at the Region 2 Winter Symposium so she didn't pay catalog price although it was rather expensive. It didn't disappoint, though. We got quite a few seeds from it (as the pollen parent). I just hope it is hardy.

We love the color of SC Brazen Bandit, but it doesn't do very well here.

SC Color Scheme is a great example of a bicolor. It's a small flower.

Hopefully more to come . . .

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
  • hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)

SC Eye for Passion doesn't do very well for us.

SC Lemon Whiskers is a great daylily, one of our favorite yellows.

The flower of SC Modern Symmetry is rather erratic. They often don't look this nice.

More to come . . .

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)

SC Moody Blues was new last season and spent the summer in a pot.

I really like SC Party Pinafore but it has not done well for us. Notice that it is a reverse bitone.

SC Perfect Angel has been used heavily in my breeding for small tets. It's hard to see in the picture, but it has a metallic gold edge.

Spacecoast Pumpkin Power is beautiful, but it's tender and overwinters in the greenhouse.

More to come . . .

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)

Spacecoast Red Dazzler is rather new. I hope it's hard enough to do well here.

SC Shellcracker has really intense color. It is a small flower.

SC Thorny Devil is doing better now that it is moved into a better place.

I love the rich color and watermark of SC Velvet Valentine.

That's all for me.

Nancy

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

Nancy, I absolutely love SC Color Scheme, such an unusual color bitone. SC Velvet Valentine is another gorgeous daylily, hope these two do well for you!

My trick for posting: post four photos in original post, edit that post and add four more photos, works like a charm every time.

Sherry

• Brad KY 6b

Nancy, SC Velvet Valentine and Red Dazzler really catch my eye!

Brad

• Nancy 6b

Shame Pumpkin Power and Brazen Bandit don't do well, I like both those.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Nancy 6b
  • peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada

Sherry the Siloam's you have are lovely, especially Ethel Smith and French Doll.

Brad Amazing Grace truly is!

Nancy I can see why Double Classic is a favorite. It has such a delicate colour.

hoosier_nan Sugar Time is very cute. There is no point in me drooling over any of the SC since they would not likely even survive here.

Siloam New Toy - in daytime and evening.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
  • celeste

That SC Pumpkin Power's color is gorgeous....too bad it's a diva! I also like SC Moody Blues.

I feel guilty that my little Siloams are in the worst location in the garden and I don't give them much care or consideration. Yet, they still show up every year and bloom well. I don't even remember to take photos of them all. Here are the ones I did remember to:

SILOAM LITTLE SISTER

SILOAM SMOKY JOE

SILOAM SHOW GIRL

SILOAM HAROLD FLICKINGER

SILOAM APPLE BLOSSOM

SILOAM WOODY JAMES

SILOAM BO PEEP

SILOAM NEW TOY

SILOAM DAVID KIRCHHOFF

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked celeste
  • celeste

SILOAM SUGAR PLUM

my favorite Siloam: SILOAM GOLDEN GATE

SILOAM GUM DROP

SILOAM CINDERELLA

SILOAM TINY TIM

SILOAM TOMMY TUCKER

SILOAM ETHEL SMITH

SILOAM BO BEEP AND SILOAM TINY TIM, cuddling

I will post my Spacecoasts next.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked celeste
  • celeste

Only a few of the SPACECOASTS.....

SPACECOAST BLAST OFF

SPACECOAST TINY PERFECTION

SPACECOAST FRANCIS BUSBY

SPACECOAST DREAMCATCHER

SPACECOAST KRINKLES (leaving my garden this year)

*Edited this* because I found SILOAM FLOWER GIRL:

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked celeste
  • Brad KY 6b

Peren, New Toy is a nice color, especially in the day!

Celeste, Golden Gate is indeed very pretty! It is also a little larger than many of her others, about the size of Amazing Grace. AG is 5.5 inches but is often larger.

Brad

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

Celeste, what a great selection of Siloam daylilies! So many different faces.

Sherry

• lilykate7a

You know being naive when beginning a hobby such as daylily collecting (!!) can have funny results. Many many many years ago after I bought my first Siloam I thought I would just make a goal to “collect them all”!! Needless to say a little research into the sheer numbers of Siloam intros quickly squashed that goal. :) Like Celeste, mine now reside in a part of the garden rarely visited or at least not on a regular basis. And I don’t think I have a lot of photos of those. Siloam David Kirchhoff is one of my favorites and no pic this year. The picture above is from last year.

Spacecoasts:

Spacecoast Tigertail Tango

Spacecoast Francis Busby-enabled by Debra to get this one. First year to bloom

I have SC Bold Scheme-don't like it very much. I have a daylily, Ramming Speed with the same coloration-don't like it much either and got rid of one clump of it I had. Also have SC Lipstick Kisses, SC Sea Shells, SC Bold Scheme, SC The Shredder, SC Royal Rumble, Siloam Double Classic, Siloam Sleigh Ride no pics!! Which leads to me ask what was I doing this past summer????

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked lilykate7a
  • lilykate7a

A Siloam whose name escapes me now. i will look it up and edit later. So sorry!

Edit: so, looking at my list, this one appears to be Siloam Breeze. As you can see, these Siloams are quite healthy!!

This is my Siloam Amazing Grace which resides next door to the one above and they usually bloom at the same time.

• Nancy 6b

I like S. New Toy.

Celeste, liking Sp. Dreamcatcher, and looks like it is doing good.

Kate, I have admired S. Tiger Tail, interesting looking flower.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Nancy 6b
  • hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)

Celeste, I really like Siloam Smoky Joe because it's a reverse bitone and S. Show Girl which is an unusual color. There are not many reds with black eyes. I also like Spacecoast Blast Off (Bob would like that one and SC Dream Catcher.

• signet_gw(6b)

I don't grow alot of either of these . The Siloams although many are pretty they are just too short to suit me . I got the Silaoms at the start of my collecting and I didn't realize there were tall daylilies and short daylilies and there are not a lot of Spacecoast dayliliies available here it seems . I do grow several other Siloams and if I can find the pics I will make another post . I wish I could find Spacecoast Frances Busby . Love that one from all the images I have ever seen of it. That being said here are some of what I grow here .

Spacecoast Starburst

Spacecoast Dark Obscession

Siloam Olin Frasier

Siloam June Bug

Siloam Merle Kent

Spacecoast Starburst

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked signet_gw(6b)
  • sherrygirl zone5 N il

Spacecoast Starburst is a nice one Heather, great edge. I still hesitate to add any here, it seems too many don’t like the cold.

Sherry

• signet_gw(6b)

Sherry , I grow Sp Starburst but it struggles Never see many blooms .. I love the face so I keep it but I would not, if asked, recommend it in zone 6 b

• shive

Lots of pretty Siloams and Spacecoasts. I used to grow a of the miniature Siloams, then sold them all to make room for larger flowered cultivars. My favorites of those posted is Siloam Gum Drop, which I used to grow. Of the Spacecoasts,

I have three Spacecoasts. All seem hardy here and are reliable rebloomers.

Spacecoast Francis Busby with River City Pier Surfer on the right.

Spacecoast Night Vision

Spacecoast Ojo Rojo

The only Siloam I now have is Siloam Double Classic.

Debra

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked shive
  • sherrygirl zone5 N il

Debra, I like your garden shot with S Francis Busby, those two daylilies compliment each other nicely. S Night Vision is such a Great purple and such nice white edge. Have you used it in your crosses?

Sherry

• shive

Sherry - Yes, I have gotten lots of seed from SC Night Vision. The first seedling bloomed in the late season last summer. The edge was great, but the sepals were always a little wonky. I think there was some bug damage that caused it. I'm looking for improvements on it next season and should see its sibling bloom. I just started some more seeds this week with SC Night Vision in the crosses.

Debra

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked shive
  • sherrygirl zone5 N il

What a great result! Hope it shapes up this season.

Sherry

• Nancy 6b

That is gorgeous, Debra. I bet it does shape up

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Nancy 6b
  • shive

Nancy and Sherry - Thanks! The cross of that one is SC Night Vision x Razor Sharp. I repeated the cross and got 8 seeds, which I have started indoors. I also crossed it with several other purples with white edges, both toothed and not toothed. I hope to start a few of those later in Feb.

Debra

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked shive
  • signet_gw(6b)

Debra ..........Yowza that one is a looker !

• shive

Thanks Heather!

Debra

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked shive