FOR PROS
Business tools custom-built for our industry

Say 'so long' to generic business software. Houzz Pro is designed for industry professionals like you.

stoutpowers

At my wits end, need kitchen advice

Tracy Stout

Photos below. I'm so close to giving up and just living with the kitchen the way it was.I'd like to get rid of the door and move stove to that wall and make it a focal point. I'd remove cabinet under stove and replace it with what something that will go better with new counters, floor, backsplash, etc. It's 40" w x 25" d. I can remove the wall to the left of stove and the one to the right of the refrigerator. The post to the right of the window will be removed.I love tile to the ceiling and I like that the kitchen looks wider without the wall cabinets, so even with all the cons open shelving causes, I'm open to it. I can put a cabinet to the left of stove.... How would I change to the right of the stove. Please I just need help with what to do. Would any of that look good? The cabinet doors are beadboard, painting them white, floor will be Fusion Hemlock, counters will be Calacutta Gold quartz and backsplash 4x12 Highland park dove gray. Any and all suggestions are needed and appreciated. Getting smaller refrigerator and better dishwasher, go stainless? White? My sink is the Kraus work sink and new faucet.I like the way the bottom 2 kitchens look...

• katinparadise

Let's bump your discussion up and see if that helps.

Tracy Stout thanked katinparadise
  • live_wire_oak

Provide Individual pictures. No one can see any detail from a collage. And provide a measured layout. With a more cogently strung together narrative of your concerns.

Tracy Stout thanked live_wire_oak

Need help wit my kitchen backsplash

If you like bold, look for a pewter, metallic mini tile. Depending on where the cabinets end and where you want the back splash this could be a strong statement and good balance for your single wall if color!

At my wit's end with this living room layout

To maximize the use of the space without major renovation and replacement of the current furniture, I would suggest to place the sofa against the window wall, a chair closer to fireplace but angled towards TV, a smaller oval coffee table and couple of small 12" stools next to sofa and in front of fireplace but together with the rest of pieces. This will complete the sitting group. Also, you can get a pair of floor lamps with built in small round tables flanking the sofa on both sides... Your window wall has uneven window /glass door arrangement . To make this wall look more uniform, elegant as well as more symmetrical- run full length of light color ( off white) airy feel curtains. As close to ceiling as possible; they should "kiss" the floor...on very thin unimposing rod. Curtains will not make your room smaller, instead, it will add a more "well put together", relaxed feel to the space. Have fun decorating!

I am at my wits end with this Corner Fire Place Room

the blue wall color does extend all the way onto the kitchen, however, it has not been painted for 5 years so maybe it's time :) the gray color on the right side of the fireplace is martha stewart whetstone gray. the fireplace is cement gray, and the large vaulted wall and my cabinets are Sharkey gray...yeah that table and those white curtains are going to liven it up in there. I just realized I kinda pigeon holed myself in this blue gray thing over the last few years because I had no idea what I was doing haha where was Houzz when I bought my first home? :) thank you all.

At my wits end

BM Classic Grey might work. It's a very pale slightly warm grey that looks nice with Simply White. It's the combination our dining room is being painted as we speak.
  • Tracy Stout

I need someone to tell me what will look good. I love the pictures of kitchens where the tile goes to the ceiling. I would like the wall where the big window is to be all tile. I like how it looks without the wall cabinets and while I'm not a huge fan of dusting, I think open shelves would help open the kitchen up. I would also like glass door cabinets, but I don't know where they would go or even if they would look right. I want to remove the open shelf cabinet and replace with, what? I think the stove would be a nice focal point, but it can't be seen where it is. Put it where the door is? If so, how would I incorporate the cabinets? So many issues here and I am totally overwhelmed.

I have no need for extra counter space or storage, but am willing to do whatever it takes to have a kitchen I'm not embarrassed about.

I'm sorry if my previous post was confusing - but it kinda shows what I'm feeling. Confused!

• Molly

Bumping again in the hopes the kitchen experts will help. Have you tried loading 1-2 pictures at a time or using the app on your phone?

Tracy Stout thanked Molly

What we need is a to scale floor plan with all windows doorways marked and all measurements clearly marked and the drawing able to be enlarged . Use graph paper it makes it easier to draw to scale.Don’t edit your post add pics and floor plan in comments . BTW you choose finishes after a good design so start there. In you case also post the size of the stove and its height.

Tracy Stout thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • herbflavor

If your exterior can handle door and window changes why don’t you plot out a hypothetical L shape on those two exterior walls w changes to window configuration: the larger fixed picture window could be replaced w something else ... a staggered 3 casements in between a hood and some shelves for example. its Hard to tell where fridge really is . You can start w Ikea people plotting out your two walls and pretend door isn’t there.. see how much function you can create w your tasks on an L configuration.

Tracy Stout thanked herbflavor
  • tozmo1

I feel your pain. When I was remodeling my kitchen I was totally overwhelmed and the more research I did, the more overwhelmed I became. This will sound like a Houzz advertisement but I mean it sincerely. Go on Houzz find a professional and look at professionals in your area whose work you like . Contact them and get one who fits your goals both designwise and budgetary wise. I found my architect this way and every penny I paid her was worth it. I love, love, love my kitchen and it is not at all what I would have done myself. She had so many great ideas that I never would have thought of. She referred me to an interior designer who helped picked my colors which were also, something I never would have picked myself but I love.

Tracy Stout thanked tozmo1
  • tdemonti

OMG you have a Frigidaire Flair!

Tracy Stout thanked tdemonti
  • Molly

Tracy you can’t reply individually, you post a comment for all to see and address the questions here. For example, tozmo1 thanks for the suggestion.

Tracy Stout thanked Molly
  • Tracy Stout

I want to thank everyone that responded. Molly and katinparadise I appreciate your help!

live_wire_oak I think you gathered the level of my frustration and confusion in that post. I think I've got the picture issue resolved!

tdemonti, I KNOW!! :-) I had one in my last house that was built in and when I found this one 8 hours away for $375 I had to have it. Everything works and looks like it had never been used! Sabrina, on Bewitched, had one lol

tozmo1 YES! I had to. This project is just overwhelming. I called 2 that I found on Houzz yesterday. Waiting to hear back. Thank you, I'd love to see pictures of your kitchen!

herbflavor, thank you and yes, I will do that. It's not practical for me to change the window out. I'm already pushing it on possibly removing that door. I like the idea of L shape, tho. I am on the lookout for a hood that is made to go on my stove. Thank you for suggestions!

Patricia Colwell Consulting, the diagrams below came from Home Depot in 2003. After months of trying to decide what tile, counters, etc. I'm sticking with what I've chosen! The stove is 40' wide, 18" deep at the top oven part and 25" deep on the cooktop. Thank you, I will get graph paper :-)

Kitchen disaster · More Info

Cabinets will stop at the left of the smaller window. I don't have a clue what to do in that long galley hallway where the built-in cabinets are.

Kitchen disaster · More Info

The ceiling is lower on this wall due to old asbestos in the duck work. I won't be messing with that except to make it look better - not sure how yet.

Kitchen disaster · More Info

The wall with built-ins is to the right of the frig.

Kitchen disaster · More Info

Stairs to basement on the right. I used to have a desk type configuration across from the built in cabinets with a narrow counter top. It ended up always being cluttered.

Change out doors to built in cabinets?

• Tracy Stout

Fusion Hemlock flooring

Highland Park Dove Gray tile. I'll have 4 x 12 pieces.

Kitchen disaster · More Info

Would I have quartz go all the way to the window? I've seen several pictures of it done that way and it looked good. The bottom part of the window is a sheet of vinyl attached to a piece of wood. When I moved in you could look down and see the back of cabinets.

Kitchen disaster · More Info

Dining room door is between stove and open cabinet.

Kitchen disaster · More Info

Moved stove just to see what it would look like if it was the focal point. Removing door would cost $1K and really raise the cost of remodel due to configuration of cabinets. You can't see it unless you walk down the long galley wall.

• Molly

The stove is throwing me and it doesn’t seem to fit into your dream look (and I don’t understand how it works, but that’s just me). Does the door you want to eliminate go into the back yard?

Tracy Stout thanked Molly
  • Tracy Stout

Molly, click on the picture to see the whole thing - not sure why it didn't post right. You're right, it doesn't go with the look I want. The base cabinet is bolted to the top so the stove and ovens can be moved and placed on a cabinet (provided it can handle the weight.)

That door goes to the side yard. There is another in the kitchen before you start down the galley hallway. So there are actually 3 doors that open to the kitchen since the front door is diagonal to where the steps lead to basement

To the two other people who commented, I don't know what you posted due to editing this thread, they got deleted and I'm so sorry!

OMG I've been editing and just saw where 2 other people have commented but I bet there comments were deleted as I changed the pictures out! :-(

• Tracy Stout

Kitchen disaster · More Info

Front door is on the left where the hardwood floor is. The middle door is directly to the left, it leads to the front yard, as does the front door. Weird, but there was a good reason for this configuration when these houses were built during WWII

• Tracy Stout

This is what I have in mind for the stove - this is a Tappan, mine is a Frigidaire

• Molly

Hopefully you will get a response quickly, make sure to vet them thoroughly. I like the finish choices you selected.

Tracy Stout thanked Molly
  • Tracy Stout

Thank you and I will, I literally cannot believe I i accidentally deleted 2 responses after trying to get responses!

• missenigma

My concern about designing a kitchen around that stove is that it's non-standard. What happens if something goes on it and you can't get parts? You wouldn't be able to just buy a new range. Cabinetry would have to be reworked. That would worry me. Your mileage may vary.

Also, given the small size and narrowness of your kitchen, visually, your stove, and the one of the Tappan you posted, take up a lot of visual space in their respective kitchens.

This reminds me of the wall mount refrigerator. In the town where I grew up, there was a housing development built in the early 1960's. All the kitchens had wall mounted refrigerators. As time went on the refrigerators couldn't be serviced. Replacing the refrigerator required extensive and expensive retrofit of the kitchens.

Just something to think about.

Tracy Stout thanked missenigma
  • Molly

Missenigma what a cool idea. Reminds me of refrigerators college students use. :)

Tracy Stout thanked Molly
  • tdemonti

Tracy Stout, We looked at a house in Camp Hill, PA, that has a Frigidare Flair in pristine condition. You might find a hood here - https://retrorenovation.com

I can't wait to see your kitchen finished..

Tracy Stout thanked tdemonti
  • Molly

Tracy did any kitchen designer contact you?

Tracy Stout thanked Molly
  • Tracy Stout

Yes, just one. Katie from Sticks and Stones called today, thanks for asking. I wasn't able to talk and will call her back tomorrow. But, what have I done?!🤣 I took that open shelf out and found hardwood floors, so I started taking tile up, not thinking about needing to get rid of the mess as I go! I just wanted to see the floor. Now the wall behind the shelf was somehow built into the soffit, so the bottom of soffit came out, exposing the old asbestos. It wasn't disturbed, I just need to cover it back up, which is beyond my skill set. I'd give anything for a reputable company to come in a do it all!

• Tracy Stout

See the hardwoods?😊

Kitchen disaster · More Info

I really don't have much luck on this site. I've replied to everyone, answered everyone's questions... And I do appreciate you asking if I'd heard from anyone😊You remembered!

Kitchen disaster · More Info

• Molly

So glad someone called back! At least cover the soffit with plastic for now.

Tracy Stout thanked Molly
  • Kim

Hi, Tracy. Looks like you have a lot of work ahead of you before you get to the installation phase with flooring, soffit, etc. I'm no expert, but I spent some time making this amateur layout based on some of your desires. I don't know if you've already made the decision to remove the back door (or even how I feel about that haha), but I went ahead and based this on that happening. I wasn't sure how wide your sink cabinet is or what size fridge you plan to get, so everything can be adjusted. I love my pantry, so you got one too LOL. I also gave you tall panels on each side of the fridge. They will give you stability for if you want a cabinet above the fridge and give you a built-in look with the pantry and upper cabinet on right side of fridge. Molding ties it all together. If you can swing it, I highly recommend recessed lighting.

Hear are a couple of inspiration photos for shelving and a breakfast station. You could do shelving or glass cabinet over the station or even put a microwave over it. A microwave could also go on the counter or in lower built-in to left of stove.

• salonva

Just chiming in to say it looks like now you may start to get some valuable help here.

Don't give up on this site. I have been here a long long time, and can tell you that most of the time you will get great advice here. Sometimes, truly randomly, it seems a post just doesn't get much traction or notice. There really doesn't seem to be a reason for it. Sometimes you can "bump" it so it gets to the first page again, or as a few posters start to comments, others will chime in.

I think I remember your post with the collage pictures and maybe when you did remove them there was less context? anyway, it looks like you have your hands full.

Kim above gave some nice visuals.

Hoping you continue now to get some great suggestions

• Kim

I realized the 2" panels should be placed differently in the mock-up. One should be on the left of the pantry when you're facing it and the other to the right of the fridge. Also, I labeled the one cabinet as being for a drawer bank or trash cans. You can put two trash cans in the cab, one in front of the other. One can be used for regular trash and the other for recyclables. Or you can put dog food in them! haha

• Mrs. S

May I ask what is so appealing about that old stove? I do appreciate everything MCM, or things from that time period, or whenever it's from, but it doesn't appear you are interested in doing a "period" renovation (where is Palimpsest to teach us?). I come here to learn and am not a kitchen expert, but I can't figure out why one would build a small kitchen around a giant old thing like that.

In a small kitchen, why would you want that thing sticking out into the aisle? Does that cutting board come out for cleaning? Would you actually use that cutting board for chopping stuff? I prefer my cutting board next to a prep sink, with water for washing vegetables and colanders and prepping stuff there. Interestingly, in the image above showing the Tappan stove, there is another cutting board stowed near the oven cutting board. I just don't get it.

And the cabinet below can't be accessed except by getting down on hands and knees. This forum has taught us all that lower drawers are so far superior...because of easy access to the interior...but you won't have that easy access to that cabinet... and I'm wondering why make all of these design concessions to build a modern farmhouse gray kitchen, SO indicative of its current time, and then have this quirky old stove sticking out in the middle of it. I just don't see it. It not only appears unfunctional, it doesn't match up with your visions.

Kitchen remodels, especially the kind where you call people who advertise on Houzz, are likely very expensive. What is your budget?

I'm not qualified to tell you what it will cost, and depends on your locality, but I see quotes of $50,000 thrown around in these forums a lot. I think you're not getting a lot of responses because it doesn't seem like you've done a lot of homework.

• Buehl

Are you replacing your cabinets or trying to use what you currently have? I'm asking because of a statement you made in your original post:

"The cabinet doors are beadboard, painting them white..."

.

If you intend to keep your existing cabinets, your options are limited by the cabinets you own. If, on the other hand, you are replacing your cabinets, you will have more options.

Do you have an IKEA near you? If so, you might consider them as they are very economical while offering many high-end options. The biggest savings are if you can assemble and hang them yourself. They're designed to be DIY, so they aren't that difficult to do both.

• Buehl

You've posted a partially measured layout of your Kitchen. Could you please post a fully measured layout? One that has each window/wall/door/doorway and the distances between each window/wall/door/doorway labeled? The layout you posted has a few measurements, but not all, and some of the missing ones are key measurements. See a sample below.

Has anything changed in the 17 years since you got the original diagrams (you said the diagrams are from 2003)?

Other information would be helpful as well. E.g, family composition, how you use your Kitchen, etc. These and more are discussed in the Layout Help FAQ:

FAQ: How Do I Ask For Layout Help & What Information Should I Include?

• Molly

Just adding on to what Buehl said about IKEA cabinets if you decide to go that route, they do offer a service that will assemble them too.

• tedbixby

I know why you aren't getting much help on here because your confusion is only confusing us. So to move forward and perhaps get the help you need from us on Houzz, the first thing you need to do is post an updated layout as others have asked. Including measurements, windows, doors and the measurements of your stove and sink as I believe you aren't replacing that. Don't go off on a different tangent at the same time. Stay focused on only the layout so we can make suggestions and can ask you questions based on the layout. The layout is our starting point and anything beyond that right now is not helpful. You need to take one step at a time if you are going to keep us involved and get others interested. If you can't do that, then you are better to find a designer and contractor and go from there.