Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dottieb_nc

Best rose (or hydrangea, or other idea) for front walkway hedge?

Dottie 7B
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hello! I am working on my front garden that was only grass and foundation bushes when I bought my house. The area has been mulched for two years and last year I started planting perennials. The general color scheme is purples and pinks, with pincushion flowers, verbena, guara, coreopsis, balloon flowers, lantana, lamb's ear, rudbeckia, coneflower, and catmint.

Recently, I have been adding structure to the space, which is much needed. The area looked a bit crazy last summer. I put in baby jade boxwood hedges lining the front walkway, 5 on each side. These will grow to 3x3 and I plan to keep them informally bushy. (I saved 4' at the front of each side for a flowering evergreen, maybe a gardenia.) Against the right foundation under the Japanese maple, I planted 4 small autumn ivory azaleas. I planted 2 Invincibelle Blush hydrangea in front of the foundation hollies. My husband installed a stepping stone path leading to a rose arch and I have two New Dawn climbing roses pre-ordered.

My question here is whether I should plant a small hedge of roses behind the boxwoods on each side to provide more structure and fill out the area. I don't mind moving some perennials to make room, but I wonder if it will look okay with the boxwood hedge, roses, and then the perennials growing on the other side of them.

If I plant the roses, I'm thinking of interspersing them with another plant to keep it from looking too formal. I love the idea of a light pink rose with complementary purple flowers. What do you think of light pink Olivia Rose Austin with a large Russian sage alternating? Is there a better light pink rose or a better companion plant for the purpose? Or perhaps I should plant a small paniculata hydrangea instead, like Bobo? I'd save myself the trouble of flicking off more Japanese beetles all summer to feed the chickens, though I love roses. Any other ideas?

I am in zone 7B and both sides of the walkway have full west sun in the summer. The soil is clay but decently amended at this point. Some blackspot on roses is a given in our humidity. I try not to spray and only organics. I do spray I Must Garden smelly deer repellent where necessary (smell fades quickly for people).

One more detail. Across from this garden on an island in my circle drive, I filled in an old pond fountain, installed a new small fountain, and planted a rose garden last year. There are 14 roses in that area now, including a few David Austin's, planted with Russian sage, catmint, cleome, anise hyssop, and lavender (the lavender is not doing well). I also planted a hedge of Vanilla Strawberry hydrangea in my backyard last summer, so I'm not exactly hurting for hydrangea, either.

I live on about two and a half acres with a long gravel drive, so this is not something anyone would see from the street, only for my personal enjoyment and the pollinators.

Many thanks to anyone who read this far. This is a labor of love and I have more enthusiasm than skill. :)

Olivia Rose Austin with purple flowers - so pretty!

Comments (3)

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    4 years ago

What a beautiful house! You are lucky to have that beautiful front yard as well. I would grow a mix of plants. Since we are all rose lovers here, of course we are going to say lots and lots of roses. I would probably mass plant your favourite roses for impact. I prefer soft colours so Olivia rose would be perfect but it also depends whether it would do well in your area. It also depends on your style if you want to go a bit formal or informal. Hydrangeas would be a sure bet and it would be great with roses. Please show us your pic of the finished garden.

Dottie 7B thanked jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
  • Dottie 7B
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you, @jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)! I also prefer soft colors and my style is a bit informal, romantic, and cottage-gardeny, though I'm trying to be mindful of my natural surroundings (that is, I don't live in a thatched-roof cottage). Do you mean you would mass plant your favorite rose all around the front garden or as a row next to the new boxwoods?

I like Olivia Rose Austin because of the light pink color, old rose look, repeat blooming, reputation for disease resistance, and bushy growth. Other contenders are Princess Alexandra of Kent and Gertrude Jekyll. I know the best way to choose a rose is to plant top contenders and see how they perform for a year or two, but I cannot exercise such restraint.

The rose that grows the best for me is David Austin's Munstead Wood, but the color is too dark for what I want up front. My second favorite is Sophy's Rose, which again is too dark. Secret (Hybrid Tea) and Le Petit Prince (Floribunda) are my best light-colored roses, but not the style I want for the front area. Roald Dahl performed poorly the first year, small and few buds, but I'm giving it more time.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    4 years ago

A beautiful property! Which plant zone are you in? You must have deer just by looking at your property. How are you going to keep the blooms on the roses? :-) I use fishing lines, shiny ribbons, and string lights at my country garden to keep the deer away. But you might not like the look though. I love all DAs, Gertrude Jekyll is very fragrant, it doesn't repeat well in my garden. but I still love it.