FOR PROS
Business tools custom-built for our industry

Say 'so long' to generic business software. Houzz Pro is designed for industry professionals like you.

luvseabrook

bath vanity issue

Luv Seabrook

This vanity is meant to have space on each side. We are finishing up a remodel and my contractor put it next to the wall. When I asked him to move it over six inches he said that the plumbing wouldn’t permit that. What do I do? Put in some trim on the right side to get rid of the skinny gap? Also, the vanity did not come with a backsplash piece and there is no room for one anyway because of faucet proximity to the wall. Should I put tile from shower or shiplap on that wall behind vanity? Maybe 1/2 up the wall?

Kristin Petro Interiors, Inc.

Take a photo of the inside of the cabinet that shows the plumbing.

Plumbing for a sink is easy to move tell him you want it moved .

Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader

Maybe ship lap the wall behind the vanity and place a small piece something like this beside the vanity.

Not this tall and it could be painted or metal, etc., but you get the idea.

Kristin Petro Interiors, Inc.

Does the toilet go next to the vanity? Maybe he means you won't have enough width for the toilet if you move the vanity?

• Luv Seabrook

No the toilet is in a separate small room with a door to the right of the vanity. Plenty of space to move the vanity to the left.

Kristin Petro Interiors, Inc.

Before he started this project, did he receive a dimensioned floor plan showing the vanity placed 6" from the wall?

• Luv Seabrook

No, Kristin, he did not receive a dimensioned floor plan showing the vanity placement. He simply removed an old vanity and installed the one I bought in its place. I think it is my mistake for not considering the fact that the old vanity was flush against the wall.

• Lidia

Ummm, I don’t see base molding on the wall by the floor. I’m guessing there’s supposed to be some and given the style of that pretty vanity, it will need to be moved for that anyway. Get what you want NOW. Later it will be a hassle and this will always bug you. Blame is on both sides, he should’ve asked...it’s not like you do this every day.

HALLETT & Co.

Please open the doors and post a photo. It is very likely that the cabinet could be moved over by re drilling where the pipes come through the back of the cabinet, but we can't tell without seeing. If that means additional holes in the back of the cabinet I think the trade-off is worthwhile

The Cook's Kitchen

There should be enough play in the plumbing outlet to get it moved over some. The drain location will say how much “some” is. There may not be enough room to move it to where it needs to be without relocating the drain in the wall. Yes, there should have been drawings and elevations. But that was not a logical assumption on the part of the contractor either. He should have clarified on the front end, during when the scope of work was being developed and priced. The plumber’s fee and drywall repair should have been part of the initial contract, so it’s fair to pay for that now as a change order.

Simply apologize to the contractor that you didn’t guide him well enough about where the vanity needed to be located, and ask him what it will take to move it over appropriately. “Frank, I never thought that the vanity wouldn’t be centered here! That will teach me to assume, and not say something directly to you on the front end. It was my first bath remodel, and I didn’t think I had to tell you that I wanted it centered on that wall, with even space on both sides. That's still what I want. Let’s figure out if we can do that without moving plumbing. If it can’t, let’s get on the plumber’s schedule to move the pipes.”

Moving it just a bit may be a no charge, if you have a good relationship with him. But if moving the plumbing has to happen, there will be costs associated.

Luv Seabrook thanked The Cook's Kitchen
  • Design Girl

Move the plumbing if you have to. It's a whole new bath, and you want it right.

• tatts

Yeah, what Hallett said... open the doors and take a clear pic of the front and showing the plumbing inside. Unless the pipes are within 6" of the right side as it sits now, that can be moved. He just doesn't want to. You'll end up with extra holes in your cabinet that will need some patching (especially if they go through the bottom), but who cares about that?

Beth H. :

I'm wondering why you didn't do a larger vanity with that extra room? How far off the wall were you planning on placing it? Wasn't the pipe for the plumbing already in place?

with that free standing type of vanity you got, it's not supposed to sit right next to a wall so any type of filler piece is going to look like it's placed there. But it could be done. however, it might look odd on just the one side.

See if the plumber or GC can move it over a few inches. shouldn't be that difficult to do since that vanity doesn't have any lower drawers.

ideally, this is the type of vanity that should go there.

as for the tile, yes, you can use your subway tile for the splash. take it up the entire wall, or just to where your mirror will start

• wannabath

Impossible to comment without seeing actual plumbing. Couple issues like outlet in middle of wall? Base moldings?

You can easily rip a filler and cope the vanities molding profiles. Go to HD and have them scan the color. I have done the exact thing as sometimes its better than leaving say 2-3" on the side of a vanity and wall. Ideally you want the base to terminate into the vanity.

Vanity also needs backsplash.

• Luv Seabrook

Working on getting a photo of the inside of the vanity. This is a 5BR 5.5BA renovation/addition that has taken the better part of a year to finish. And, it is a vacation rental property four hours away from my home. So there have been some logistical issues causing me to "miss" some details. Coupled with the fact that my contractor is not the best communicator, I should have hired a designer to help me. Beth H.: I didn't choose a larger vanity because initially the home's breaker box was in that space. House was built in 1979. It had to be moved per code late in the project. I do have a matching linen closet for that space though.

• Paul Malchow

I would move it about 1" off the wall. I am sure the plumbing will accommodate that.

• Paul Malchow

you could possibly pull the vanity out from the wall slightly and put a 2cm back splash behind the top

• Luv Seabrook

Bad news. Plumbing comes out of left wall. Wish I had noticed that before buying the vanity. I’ve never seen that before so....looks like cabinet filler is best option.??

• Luv Seabrook

Right wall sorry. Multi-tasking.

Kristin Petro Interiors, Inc.

Plot twist! I wouldn't have expected that. Filler or leave it. The gap actually doesn't bother me.

Luv Seabrook thanked Kristin Petro Interiors, Inc.
  • felizlady

Plastic plumbing parts come in all lengths.

1. The homeowner failed to tell the plumber where the vanity was to be placed and
    2. The plumber failed to ask where the vanity was to be located. The plumber used the twelve pieces of pipe he had with him.
      There is no way to paint that right-side wall nor clean in the crevice. If the vanity had been centered, a tall skinny trash receptacle would hide the pipe extension necessary to reach the sewer line. Plus the placement of the vanity looks awful.
      You both are at fault. Pay the plumber to redo the job. Hopefully, you both will learn something about communication.
  • live_wire_oak

That should have been seen and understood before ever designing the project or making a single selection or phone call. Plumbing location is Basic Renovation 101. Big fail on homeowner/designer and the contractor. It really needs plumbing moving to ever look right. Or you need a completely different wall to wall built in vanity. Either is going to cost you.

• Design Girl

Ouch - that's a problem - I'd kill a contractor who cut the side of a vanity. The plumbing should have been moved. If it were me, I'd move the plumbing and get a new vanity. Split the cost with the contractor.

• Luv Seabrook

I can't believe he cut it either without consulting me. As said, I live four hours away from this project and better communication could have prevented this and many other issues along the way. In hindsight, I should have hired someone local to help me oversee it.

• lafdr

I think it looks better to the side and gives you space for a trash can or plant next to the cabinet vs smaller unusuable space on both sides if it was centered. :)