jgoodell25

How to properly pull off a “2 overhanging side” island?

J Goodell

So we’re are trying to convert our existing kitchen island from a 3 stool island to a 4 seat. We figured that we could simply extend the stone (a new slab of quartz) on one of the ends of the island 12” so we could fit a single stool on the end. I’m told that quartz can overhang 14” without support. Assuming that we go with a standard overhang of 12” I would assume that we will run into a support issue where the newly extended piece meets the existing overhanging side at the corner. I would think we’d probably be at 16”ish inches of overhang when measuring from the corner of the island base to the far corner of the stone?

If this makes sense to anyone could you advise if I will need to add extra support some where in this project? We already have 2 corbels in the existing island at the ends where the stool side is.